Open conversation

rtwngAvngr said:
Wow. You're pretty superior.

Oh and it's the islamics who have as their doctrine "convert, payup, or die". I would think that by your own statements this would force you to make at least a partial value judgement between the two.

Well there were the crusades and the inquisition.....The genocide in both N and S America, the Nazis (what religion were THEY), the Jews,
What I said about KILLING applies for ALL sides.
Im not superior....religion just doesnt do it for me.

You know, im sure this could be a really productive conversation. But i dont think i understand a word he just said. Which is a pity. I think the main problem is the language barrier. What he is saying just doesnt make sense. that and he doesnt organize it the best.

Arabian said:
then why didnt you mention how they try to eliminate muslims and deal bad withthem in Ireland or in france ,, although you say in this country they respect other religion,,,
im gonna tell you something strange
shristians here in Egypt made a very strange thing
they went to the poor people and offer them money and food and jop to become christians
and these campaign started very fast but ended very fast ,, cause they couldnt buy people faith to allah
do you like this??
they will pay you to become christian??
is that what bible says

Translation from Arabic to English Translator to English people can understand:

Then why haven't you mentioned how Muslims are being treated poorly in Ireland and France, they seem to work to eliminate Islam, even though those countries say that they respect other's religions?

Here is something that I find odd, the Christians in Egypt went to the poor and offered them money and jobs to convert to Christianity. These programs started off quickly but ended just as quickly because people were unwilling to convert to Christianity for money.

Is that what the Bible teaches? That you should try to buy people's conversion?

sagegirl said:
Well there were the crusades and the inquisition.....The genocide in both N and S America, the Nazis (what religion were THEY), the Jews,

These were clear perversions of christian doctrince. Jihad is not a perversion, it's the clear intent of the applicable quaranic verses. The nazis were not christians. In fact, hitler's goal was to replace current religions with one based around his persona.

Thanks for trying, nonetheless.

You have used bad logic and wrong facts to morally equate the two, so you can avoid making a distinction. Typical of the left.

Arabian said:
then why didnt you mention how they try to eliminate muslims and deal bad withthem in Ireland or in france ,, although you say in this country they respect other religion,,,
im gonna tell you something strange
shristians here in Egypt made a very strange thing
they went to the poor people and offer them money and food and jop to become christians
and these campaign started very fast but ended very fast ,, cause they couldnt buy people faith to allah
do you like this??
they will pay you to become christian??
is that what bible says

And now my answer.

It is more likely they offered Charity for those who were not Christians in exchange that they would listen to their message of Salvation. I find it unlikely that they offered money directly for Conversion and if they did it is definitely not in the Bible that way. People must convert freely and accept the gift given by God.

rtwngAvngr said:
These were clear perversions of christian doctrince. Jihad is not a perversion, it's the clear intent of the applicable quaranic verses. The nazis were not christians. In fact, hitler's goal was to replace current religions with one based around his persona.

You have used bad logic and wrong facts to morally equate the two, so you can avoid making a distinction. Typical of the left.

I think you've made a legitmate claim....
However I think that maybe all doctrines and teachings are perversions of what may have been said. That is my point. You sarcastically referred to my attitude as superior, like I thought I was on some high ground....when I am discussing the legitmacy of people who claim to know God, to speak to God, and on a level that they understand what "HE" intends and expects of us. They talk to God and they speak for God.....now I would consider that a superior attitude.
I do not disrepute religion, I think it comes in all flavors and colors....any of which are legitmate if it meets the needs of the believer and does not challenge/override the beliefs of others.
I think faith is our greatest gift. The major religions have perverted that faith and like you say the perversions/interpretations go back in time, and I say they remain with us in the present....True faith comes from within ones inner core, the soul, and those who find it no longer have a need to explain themselves/to convince others of what they experience. They are living proof of what they believe. (So we have saints, and martyrs, and zealots and monks) It works for us as saints and it works against us, as martyrs. This being alive and believing in the neccessity of explaining it to ourselves is really tricky business and we are very inventive. I believe it is ours to enjoy.

sagegirl said:
I think you've made a legitmate claim....
However I think that maybe all doctrines and teachings are perversions of what may have been said.
Nice black and white thinking. I thought libs were thoughtful.
That is my point. You sarcastically referred to my attitude as superior, like I thought I was on some high ground....when I am discussing the legitmacy of people who claim to know God, to speak to God, and on a level that they understand what "HE" intends and expects of us. They talk to God and they speak for God.....now I would consider that a superior attitude.
That's your right.
I do not disrepute religion, I think it comes in all flavors and colors....any of which are legitmate if it meets the needs of the believer and does not challenge/override the beliefs of others.
I think faith is our greatest gift. The major religions have perverted that faith and like you say the perversions/interpretations go back in time, and I say they remain with us in the present....True faith comes from within ones inner core, the soul, and those who find it no longer have a need to explain themselves/to convince others of what they experience. They are living proof of what they believe. (So we have saints, and martyrs, and zealots and monks) It works for us as saints and it works against us, as martyrs. This being alive and believing in the neccessity of explaining it to ourselves is really tricky business and we are very inventive. I believe it is ours to enjoy.

Sound like a bunch of New Age goo to me. Have fun with your moral relativism.

Originally Posted by sagegirl
rtwngAvngr said:

Hmm, about the details here RWA. :tng: The Crusades were "perversions"? Not so.
Granted, there were a few bad spots (after all they were wars) such as killing of Jews which the Church did NOT condone, but by and large the Crusades were fought for a very good reason: to fight back the Muslims who were taking over. If the Crusades had not taken place, we would live in a totally different world today.

Osama Bin Ladin and, of course, anti-Christian Liberals love to attack and defame the Crusades. For your info here is a web site that has a very good summary of what the Crusades were really all about, written by a real historian.
http://www.crisismagazine.com/april2002/cover.htm
An exerpt:

The Real History of the Crusades
By Thomas F. Madden

As a Crusade historian, I found the tranquil solitude of the ivory tower shattered by journalists, editors, and talk-show hosts on tight deadlines eager to get the real scoop. What were the Crusades?, they asked. When were they? Just how insensitive was President George W. Bush for using the word "crusade" in his remarks? With a few of my callers I had the distinct impression that they already knew the answers to their questions, or at least thought they did. What they really wanted was an expert to say it all back to them. For example, I was frequently asked to comment on the fact that the Islamic world has a just grievance against the West. Doesn’t the present violence, they persisted, have its roots in the Crusades’ brutal and unprovoked attacks against a sophisticated and tolerant Muslim world? In other words, aren’t the Crusades really to blame?

Osama bin Laden certainly thinks so. In his various video performances, he never fails to describe the American war against terrorism as a new Crusade against Islam. Ex-president Bill Clinton has also fingered the Crusades as the root cause of the present conflict. In a speech at Georgetown University, he recounted (and embellished) a massacre of Jews after the Crusader conquest of Jerusalem in 1099 and informed his audience that the episode was still bitterly remembered in the Middle East. (Why Islamist terrorists should be upset about the killing of Jews was not explained.) Clinton took a beating on the nation’s editorial pages for wanting so much to blame the United States that he was willing to reach back to the Middle Ages. Yet no one disputed the ex-president’s fundamental premise.

Well, almost no one. Many historians had been trying to set the record straight on the Crusades long before Clinton discovered them. They are not revisionists, like the American historians who manufactured the Enola Gay exhibit, but mainstream scholars offering the fruit of several decades of very careful, very serious scholarship. For them, this is a "teaching moment," an opportunity to explain the Crusades while people are actually listening. It won’t last long, so here goes.

Misconceptions about the Crusades are all too common. The Crusades are generally portrayed as a series of holy wars against Islam led by power-mad popes and fought by religious fanatics. They are supposed to have been the epitome of self-righteousness and intolerance, a black stain on the history of the Catholic Church in particular and Western civilization in general. A breed of proto-imperialists, the Crusaders introduced Western aggression to the peaceful Middle East and then deformed the enlightened Muslim culture, leaving it in ruins. For variations on this theme, one need not look far. See, for example, Steven Runciman’s famous three-volume epic, History of the Crusades, or the BBC/A&E documentary, The Crusades, hosted by Terry Jones. Both are terrible history yet wonderfully entertaining.

So what is the truth about the Crusades? Scholars are still working some of that out. But much can already be said with certainty. For starters, the Crusades to the East were in every way defensive wars. They were a direct response to Muslim aggression—an attempt to turn back or defend against Muslim conquests of Christian lands.

Christians in the eleventh century were not paranoid fanatics. Muslims really were gunning for them. While Muslims can be peaceful, Islam was born in war and grew the same way. From the time of Mohammed, the means of Muslim expansion was always the sword. Muslim thought divides the world into two spheres, the Abode of Islam and the Abode of War. Christianity—and for that matter any other non-Muslim religion—has no abode. Christians and Jews can be tolerated within a Muslim state under Muslim rule. But, in traditional Islam, Christian and Jewish states must be destroyed and their lands conquered. When Mohammed was waging war against Mecca in the seventh century, Christianity was the dominant religion of power and wealth. As the faith of the Roman Empire, it spanned the entire Mediterranean, including the Middle East, where it was born. The Christian world, therefore, was a prime target for the earliest caliphs, and it would remain so for Muslim leaders for the next thousand years.

With enormous energy, the warriors of Islam struck out against the Christians shortly after Mohammed’s death. They were extremely successful. Palestine, Syria, and Egypt—once the most heavily Christian areas in the world—quickly succumbed. By the eighth century, Muslim armies had conquered all of Christian North Africa and Spain. In the eleventh century, the Seljuk Turks conquered Asia Minor (modern Turkey), which had been Christian since the time of St. Paul. The old Roman Empire, known to modern historians as the Byzantine Empire, was reduced to little more than Greece. In desperation, the emperor in Constantinople sent word to the Christians of western Europe asking them to aid their brothers and sisters in the East.

That is what gave birth to the Crusades. They were not the brainchild of an ambitious pope or rapacious knights but a response to more than four centuries of conquests in which Muslims had already captured two-thirds of the old Christian world. At some point, Christianity as a faith and a culture had to defend itself or be subsumed by Islam. The Crusades were that defense.

Arabian said:
Judges 16

Samson and Delilah

Genesis 38

Judah and Tamar

There is also a chapter called How to rape your own sister?
Samuel 13:8
Amnon and Tamar

Is that how the bible deal with women

You have totally missed the point. Yes, all these things happened. But they are recorded so that we understand that people are sinners, and no matter how good they might be, they sin. The only human who never sinned is Jesus.

Arabian said:
WOMEN IN ISLAM VERSUS WOMEN IN THE
JUDAEO-CHRISTIAN TRADITION:...
To be honest, I'm much more interested in the situation as it stands today rather than how it was recorded 1-3000 years ago. I don't care if you found a quote in the bible that said Thou shalt rape all women and subjugate them and they are dirty and evil and blah blah blah. The truth is that in most judeo-christian societies today, women are treated as equals or fairly close to it. They are allowed to vote, to walk next to men, to TALK to men, to show their faces, etc. Tell the women in Saudi Arabia who weren't allowed to vote last month that 1000 years ago, some guy wrote a chapter in the Koran and named it after a woman. If I was a Saudi Arabian woman, my reply to you would be I don't care. Last month I couldn't vote but my brother could. Do you see the difference?

Mohammad allowed his followers to rape women .
Mohammad robbed caravans for 2 years.
mohammad murdered those who disagreed with him.
mohammad practiced torture on his enemies.
mohammad attacked and pillaged towns.
mohammad got a 1/5 of everything

yeah mohammad was a great guy

rtwngAvngr said:

"Punkte 24" of the "25 Punkte Programm" written by Hitler in 1920 says the Nazi party is tolerant of all religions (unless you count Judaism) and then goes on to say "the party comes to a positive point of view on Christianity." You can probably find better translation than mine.

Read it however you like. It also states later that the 25 points may never be changed.

I do not know why people get so upset that the Nazis were Christians. There have been many more good Christians than bad ones.

Don't let Hitler bring you down, RWA.

elephant said:
"Punkte 24" of the "25 Punkte Programm" written by Hitler in 1920 says the Nazi party is tolerant of all religions (unless you count Judaism) and then goes on to say "the party comes to a positive point of view on Christianity." You can probably find better translation than mine.

Read it however you like. It also states later that the 25 points may never be changed.

I do not know why people get so upset that the Nazis were Christians. There have been many more good Christians than bad ones.

Don't let Hitler bring you down, RWA.

Read my postings, few that they may be. You will find that I'm far from a bible based person. Your take here, that Hitler was Christian, is a bit off. While this is not definitive, it's a start:

http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/4885/hitler.html

A better take is here:

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mhitlerchristian.html

There's more to being a True Christian than just saying you are, or agreeing with it's tenets.

Jesus said to Nicodemus, " You must be Born Again".

Hitler or whoever can say they are a Christian because they go to church, help old ladies cross streets, read the bible 8 hours a day, but that doesn't mean one is a Christian. One is not Born-Again via works, but via Faith. Works should follow Faith, but those works are not originating from a soul seeking approval, or Fire Insurance, but generated from compassion, and thankfulness, for God's unearned grace.

Kathianne said:
Read my postings, few that they may be. You will find that I'm far from a bible based person. Your take here, that Hitler was Christian, is a bit off. While this is not definitive, it's a start:

http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/4885/hitler.html

A better take is here:

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mhitlerchristian.html

The Nazi party line and agenda as written in the 25 points which was written by Hitler and says the Nazis are Christians or at a minimum support Christianity. They do not subscribe to any particular sect of Christianity, but they are Christian. I really could not care less if Hitler himself was a Christian or a Jew or a Taoist. The party which he was more or less the founder and leader of says, right in its articles of conception, the 25 points, again written by Hitler, that they support Christianity. It seems pretty clear.

I am not saying the Nazis were good Christians or that they embody the the word of the Bible. I am repeating what they themselves said. How is that "a bit off"?

elephant said:
The Nazi party line and agenda as written in the 25 points which was written by Hitler and says the Nazis are Christians or at a minimum support Christianity. They do not subscribe to any particular sect of Christianity, but they are Christian. I really could not care less if Hitler himself was a Christian or a Jew or a Taoist. The party which he was more or less the founder and leader of says, right in its articles of conception, the 25 points, again written by Hitler, that they support Christianity. It seems pretty clear.

I am not saying the Nazis were good Christians or that they embody the the word of the Bible. I am repeating what they themselves said. How is that "a bit off"?

Regardless of what Hitler said (hey, I wonder if it was just another case of a politician saying whatever is popular.... could be! :rolleyes:), he followed NO Christian tenants. He even had the state engage in witchcraft, astrology and other non-Christian means to guide him. Not Christianity. So to say that because he wrote on a piece of paper that he supports or will put up with, Christianity does not make him a Christian. Germany as a whole was a Christian nation at the time, but very apostate. Like 8-Ball said, saying you are a Christian does not make one Christian.

freeandfun1 said:
Regardless of what Hitler said (hey, I wonder if it was just another case of a politician saying whatever is popular.... could be! :rolleyes:), he followed NO Christian tenants. He even had the state engage in witchcraft, astrology and other non-Christian means to guide him. Not Christianity. So to say that because he wrote on a piece of paper that he supports or will put up with, Christianity does not make him a Christian. Germany as a whole was a Christian nation at the time, but very apostate. Like 8-Ball said, saying you are a Christian does not make one Christian.

Now we obviously all agree. I never said Hitler was a Christian. Congratualations on winning a point that was never argued. The Nazis, all the people that followed Hitler, and who probably had no idea what he was really doing religiously, were Christians. So he publicly accepted Christianity and his followers believed to some extent that national socialism and Christsianity went together.

And to your idiotic point about 'just saying so does not make it true, duh' - right, but if you believe it when you say it, it makes it true to you. So when all the Bavarian Catholics went to church on Sunday in 1930 they thought they were at the same time good Nazis and good Christians. Then they reread the 25 points of the party and #24 says that the party endorses Christianity - they feel better and any conflict they may have had is soothed away.

So you have shown there might have been one non-Christian in the party, and he most likely kept that secret. Now explain away the rest of the Nazis who were Christians.

elephant said:
Now we obviously all agree. I never said Hitler was a Christian. Congratualations on winning a point that was never argued. The Nazis, all the people that followed Hitler, and who probably had no idea what he was really doing religiously, were Christians. So he publicly accepted Christianity and his followers believed to some extent that national socialism and Christsianity went together.

And to your idiotic point about 'just saying so does not make it true, duh' - right, but if you believe it when you say it, it makes it true to you. So when all the Bavarian Catholics went to church on Sunday in 1930 they thought they were at the same time good Nazis and good Christians. Then they reread the 25 points of the party and #24 says that the party endorses Christianity - they feel better and any conflict they may have had is soothed away.

So you have shown there might have been one non-Christian in the party, and he most likely kept that secret. Now explain away the rest of the Nazis who were Christians.

Read THIS and educate yourself a bit wise-ass.

Also, you are assuming that all Germans were Nazis. Not true. Only an elect few were allowed to join the party as full party members. Furthermore Mr. NotSoBright, they Nazi Party held public occult ceremonies, so they were not doing it in hiding and Hitler was not the only one participating.

The entire "Church" in Germany was APOSTATE which means, they had abandoned their religious faith. So the mentioning of Christianity was nothing more than a jesture. Something I guess to give people like you the "ability" to say, "look, Christians have killed millions" when anybody with any understanding of Christianity knows that much killing has been carried out under the name of Christ, but not *in* the name of Christ.

Nice try.

religious Christians who do not have access to the holy bible and are not able to study it are easily led into violence by charismatic leaders,this is what happened in the middle ages when the catholic church held absolute power and hid the scriptures from the masses.The new testament teaches love,forgiveness and helping others,jesus lived this example.when christians harm others they are in direct opposition to the new testament.

opposed to....

religious muslims who study the koran and hadiths and view it in a literal and historical sense (christians who also deeply study the bible usually view it in a literal sense both theologically and historically) are easy to lead into violent causes because they can point to the koran and the life of mohammad in the hadiths as support.some confusion arises because 2 oppossing portraits of mohammad existing in the koran but few understand that the koran is not in chronological order and if it so viewed as such it is easy to see that mohammad became more violent as he gained more followers and power.the hadith documents his life in detail- in short it is a life of extreme violence,theft,and shows a very uncompassionate mohammad and these are all highly respected muslim historians and scholars.some hadiths are dismissed as 'weak hadiths' especially if it conflicts with that individual muslims world-view.

freeandfun1 said:
Read THIS and educate yourself a bit wise-ass.

Also, you are assuming that all Germans were Nazis. Not true. Only an elect few were allowed to join the party as full party members. Furthermore Mr. NotSoBright, they Nazi Party held public occult ceremonies, so they were not doing it in hiding and Hitler was not the only one participating.

The entire "Church" in Germany was APOSTATE which means, they had abandoned their religious faith. So the mentioning of Christianity was nothing more than a jesture. Something I guess to give people like you the "ability" to say, "look, Christians have killed millions" when anybody with any understanding of Christianity knows that much killing has been carried out under the name of Christ, but not *in* the name of Christ.

Nice try.

First I never said all Germans were Nazis – nice try. Second I could not care less about whether they were 'official' member. The unofficial followers are still count. Not all Catholics are priests or nuns, there is hierarchy in everything – nice try. Third I never whined about "look at all the people killed in the name of God or Christ." Someone on the board said 'Nazis were not Christians.' I disagree, but now you are assuming I am attacking religion or that I think killing in the name of God is bad thing.

We will have to agree to disagree.

I fundamentally believe that modern Christians wish to distance themselves from people like the Nazis and this makes good sense if the current Christian thinking is that the Nazis were wrong – but maybe this is just lip-service to keep membership up, those 1930’s-1940’s Nazis still have a pretty bad reputation. This is why this is even a discussion. If the Nazis, or if you prefer the people who supported the Nazis and followed them into a war against the rest of the world but were not allowed to be official members, had been Muslims, the current Christian thinking would be something like, “of course they were.”

If the masses (not official members, so I know they do not count) were mislead by ‘false’ religion, but they did not know it was false (like you claim to factually prove now – after the fact), the masses believed (not having abandoned their religious faith – which they felt ok about; due to Point #24 and the lip-service mentioning of Christianity, which you agree occurred) that what they were doing was for God. This makes them Christians in my mind. They were what they believed they were – Christians and followers of Nazism – even of the official party did not like it.

Or maybe we agree – I cannot tell anymore. And yes I am a wise-ass, wise-ass Elephant.

Forum List

Back