Ohio Dem seeks to legislate triple pay for retail workers on holidays

Once again Conservatives define "Family Values" as working the holidays for lousy pay.

It seems the only "Families" Conservatives value are the families of the owners and the only thing they "Value" is more profit.

So hospitals, police, fire and rescue take the day off?

These stores are creating shopping opportunities durning family holidays. They are eroding family experiences simply to raise profits. When the stores were closed on holidays, no one seemed to mind. But holiday shopping on Thanksgiving Day is an invention of retailers, not consumers.

Employees are asking for fair pay in exchange of their family holiday.

Conservatives are opposing both fair pay and the idea of a family holiday experience. Gee. Who'd a thunk it? Conservatives positioning themselves in favor of the owners and opposed to the worker and then, screwing that worker out of family time.

What do these Conservatives value? Certainly not working to earn a living, Conservatives feel the only honorable way of making money is by making a killing in the market, certainly not working to earn it. And do Conservatives 'Value' families? Hell no! Unless you want a family that does not dovetail into the narrow, archaic template of 'Family' the myopic Conservatives approve.

I worked every holiday for over 10 years, no big deal. Holidays are overrated, never understood why anyone had to make a special day for a "family experience".

I made family days all year long, I never needed a special day, for a "family experience."

I did have Thursday off this year, we lounged around and then went to an early afternoon movie, got Chinese food and went home.

Next week we have relatives coming to visit, we'll have our "family experience" then.

No concept of what vital jobs... But all these areas goto skeleton staff during this period.
No one said take the day off. I am saying that a National standard of time and a half for ALL workers on National Holidays is at least fair.

Essential workers understand the 24/7 nature of their work. But when retailers create another marketing day out of National holidays, their workers too deserve just compensation.

Once again Conservatives define "Family Values" as working the holidays for lousy pay.

It seems the only "Families" Conservatives value are the families of the owners and the only thing they "Value" is more profit.

These stores are creating shopping opportunities durning family holidays. They are eroding family experiences simply to raise profits. When the stores were closed on holidays, no one seemed to mind. But holiday shopping on Thanksgiving Day is an invention of retailers, not consumers.

Conservatives are opposing both fair pay and the idea of a family holiday experience. Gee. Who'd a thunk it? Conservatives positioning themselves in favor of the owners and opposed to the worker and then, screwing that worker out of family time.

What do these Conservatives value? Certainly not working to earn a living, Conservatives feel the only honorable way of making money is by making a killing in the market, certainly not working to earn it. And do Conservatives 'Value' families? Hell no! Unless you want a family that does not dovetail into the narrow, archaic template of 'Family' the myopic Conservatives approve.

I worked every holiday for over 10 years, no big deal. Holidays are overrated, never understood why anyone had to make a special day for a "family experience".

I made family days all year long, I never needed a special day, for a "family experience."

I did have Thursday off this year, we lounged around and then went to an early afternoon movie, got Chinese food and went home.

Next week we have relatives coming to visit, we'll have our "family experience" then.

No concept of what vital jobs... But all these areas goto skeleton staff during this period.
No one said take the day off. I am saying that a National standard of time and a half for ALL workers on National Holidays is at least fair.

Essential workers understand the 24/7 nature of their work. But when retailers create another marketing day out of National holidays, their workers too deserve just compensation.

True the retail workers is tougher, however, those workers lose a day of pay sitting home and that pay is important to their budgets.

So is it fair for them to be made to sit at home and make nothing when they'd rather work and make an income?

And yes many on this board want these retailers closed, not fair compensation, closed.

This hasn't happened

because no state has been dumb enough for mandating triple pay during a normal workweek.
It's not normal...it's a holiday...
quit projecting your fantasies

anything under 40 hours is a normal work week. If your job calls for you to work on a holiday, you work on the holiday. I've done it, others have done it.
great! good for you!
I didnt actually think there was someone out there who doesnt like holiday pay because if you work and you work those days it should be expected like a normal day. People like you are shit.

People like me worked to get to a job that has holiday pay. I studied in school and paid my dues. If someone doesn't like minimum wage job conditions they should try to get out of a minimum wage job.

People like you want me to pay for people who fucked around early in life and are now whining that their lives are not the way they want to be. They get gullible rubes like you to fleece the rest of us to make up for their mistakes.
most if not all places of work have holiday pay. Ive only run into one place that hasnt because the owner was a dick.
What we are talking with this bill is about increasing the wage on holidays.
Good for you, you went to school and get holiday pay which is federally mandated anyways. I didnt go to college and i get holiday pay as well.

True the retail workers is tougher, however, those workers lose a day of pay sitting home and that pay is important to their budgets.

So is it fair for them to be made to sit at home and make nothing when they'd rather work and make an income?

And yes many on this board want these retailers closed, not fair compensation, closed.
closed on a holiday? seems to be a national movement going on. Kind of saying, that this is getting out of control. Let people enjoy their families on the holidays.
Crazy!

After 23 pages, nobody has yet to identify why 3x pay is necessary for reasonable holiday pay.

After 23 pages, nobody has yet to identify why 3x pay is necessary for reasonable holiday pay.
It's not hard. It's a paid day off for many, and if you have to work it that should be pay plus overtime for the holiday.

After 23 pages, and this fail of a post from PaintMyHouse, nobody has yet to identify why 3x pay is necessary for reasonable holiday pay.

It's not hard. It's a paid day off for many, and if you have to work it that should be pay plus overtime for the holiday.

After 23 pages, and this fail of a post from PaintMyHouse, nobody has yet to identify why 3x pay is necessary for reasonable holiday pay.
Okay. Logic, a new concept to you.

Am I the only worker to get paid holidays? Why should a worker lose a day's pay because it's a National holiday? Public and private sector workers get holidays off with pay.

If the employer refuses to grant both paid holidays off and time and a half for a holiday worked, that employer cannot be said to value employees.

Am I the only worker to get paid holidays? Why should a worker lose a day's pay because it's a National holiday? Public and private sector workers get holidays off with pay.

If the employer refuses to grant both paid holidays off and time and a half for a holiday worked, that employer cannot be said to value employees.

Both holidays? I thought thanksgiving is one day.

In retail, restaurant, service stations, and on and on, you don't work, you don't get paid.

The rest of your comment is just your opinion, not a fact.

In retail, restaurant, service stations, and on and on, you don't work, you don't get paid.

National holidays, not marketing holidays. New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day. and Christmas Day. Hours worked on those National holidays should be paid time and a half or full time if taken as a holiday off.

That values the family, it respects the worker, it is fair for the employer.

National holidays, not marketing holidays. New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day. and Christmas Day. Hours worked on those National holidays should be paid time and a half or full time if taken as a holiday off.

How is it fair to force an employer to pay time and a half if someone works on a day they choose to open? If they choose to do so, not a problem. If someone that isn't making the payroll wants to force them to do so, there's no value or respect to that. There's nothing discriminatory, racially motivated, or illegal about opening on a holiday if the business chooses to do so. Personally, I think they should close but it's not my place to tell another business to do that or pay more if they are open. If the employee doesn't like it, quit.

How is it fair to force an employer to pay time and a half if someone works on a day they choose to open? If they choose to do so, not a problem. If someone that isn't making the payroll wants to force them to do so, there's no value or respect to that. There's nothing discriminatory, racially motivated, or illegal about opening on a holiday if the business chooses to do so. Personally, I think they should close but it's not my place to tell another business to do that or pay more if they are open. If the employee doesn't like it, quit.
Are there no advantages to working for a living? Why do Conservatives work so tirelessly to screw the working man and side with the employer? Are working people not first and foremost, people?

Is labor just a commodity, or are they fellow citizens?

Does consumer spending drive better than 70% of our economy or does it not? Why do Conservatives believe that redoing that spending base is a good thing for the bottom line, for the well being of the majority of wage earners and for society at large?

Are there no advantages to working for a living? Why do Conservatives work so tirelessly to screw the working man and side with the employer? Are working people not first and foremost, people?

Is labor just a commodity, or are they fellow citizens?

Does consumer spending drive better than 70% of our economy or does it not? Why do Conservatives believe that redoing that spending base is a good thing for the bottom line, for the well being of the majority of wage earners and for society at large?

Them being people doesn't entitle them to extra pay from their employer because someone not making the payroll thinks it's their business to force that employer to do so. There are advantages to working for a living. It's called a paycheck. No one owes them extra because the employer wants to open a certain day.

Since labor is what is being paid, it's a commodity. Someone works when their boss tells them to and they get paid what they and the boss agreed to BEFORE they started. You confuse someone being a person with being owed something.

Why do people like you think it's any of your damn business to tell an employer what they should do with such things? It's not your business so it's no matter of yours. Keep your nose out of where it doesn't belong.

I side with the employer because I am one. Unless you're willing to pay the extra you would force me to pay on such days, STFU because it's not your money to dictate how it's spent. I don't tell you how to run your finances but you think you have a say in how I do mine. You don't have to like how I do it. You simply have to keep your nose out of my business.

Thanksgiving is perhaps the only major celebration holiday in the United States that possesses a decidedly American and secular purpose. Actually, scratch that. It's one of two, New Years being the second. Point is, I find it perfectly acceptable for a state government to mandate private businesses to pay a reasonable holiday pay for these limited examples.
All stores are open New Year's Day. Most businesses ignore the day as a holiday.
NY Day is essentially a bank holiday.
a bank holiday?.....i used to get it off....and im not a banker.....matter of fact....everyone i knew got it off.....
large-smiley-007.gif

Okay. Logic, a new concept to you.

Your problem is you think because you say it that makes it logical. That's a characteristic of an arrogant bastard.

this is what these Democrat politicians believes they are elected for. to make up any stupid law they want and hammer a business with it.

the Democrat base really need to get more involved in their politics and not just go with anything they want. or you get pampered asses like this guy wanting to pass a law because he was OFFENDED

Are you claiming that fire departments go to skeleton staffs on holidays?

Forum List

Back