Ohio Dem seeks to legislate triple pay for retail workers on holidays

Only employers should get to benefit from the extra revenue generated from being open on Holidays. It is the American way

But even Scrooge gave Bob Cratchet Christmas off

When low-margin businesses have to keep their doors closed on holidays, giving up business to others, perhaps another law will be passed forcing them to be open.

That'll teach 'em!

quit being retarded mac. People purpose bills, and some are liked and others not. And you know state rights and all.

Nice to see a lefty defend state's rights, albeit only when they like what the state is doing.

You're attacking someone you perceive as partisan for not toeing the partisan line.

You are the worst phoney on this board.

And you're a good, predictable, obedient little partisan ideologue.

Yay for us!

Now what?

An employer can make triple profits by being open on a Holiday. God forbid any of that reaches the employees

Used to be that evening and night workers got a bit extra. Not much but it helped. Retailers make most of their year's money off the backs of people who give up their family time in order to support those families.

Only seems fair they get paid for that sacrifice.

But don't expect the 1% or the anti-middle class RWs to go for it.

They want to see suffering. Lots of suffering. The more, the better.

Thanksgiving is perhaps the only major celebration holiday in the United States that possesses a decidedly American and secular purpose. Actually, scratch that. It's one of two, New Years being the second. Point is, I find it perfectly acceptable for a state government to mandate private businesses to pay a reasonable holiday pay for these limited examples.

So...you want the Wal-Mart cashier to get triple pay...but not the ER nurse, the police officer, the EMT, the tow truck driver, or the restaurant cook? Gee, thanks.

Apparently you need to improve your reading skills. I said reasonable holiday pay. I did not say that reasonable was triple pay. Personally, I think the standard time-and-a-half is a perfectly reasonable holiday pay, and that triple pay would be excessive.

Then what are you doing in the "Triple pay for retail workers" thread?

Also, I never said anything about exempting nurses or anyone else. Are you trying to imply that nurses, truck drivers, or restaurant cooks are all government employees? There are a great many private businesses that employ nurses and other healthcare workers.

Are you baked?

As for government workers, they typically already get some form of holiday pay. If you work for the government generally you either have the holiday off with pay, or you get a subsequent day off with pay. That too, is reasonable IMO.
Seriously: are you stoned?!

Translation: You've made an ass out of yourself with a bunch of assumptions and hope to save face by acting like a juvenile.

I accept your concession, Junior. Now scram, boy, the ADULTS are talking here!

Still can't muster up any substance, I see.

IF THE CUSTOMER is DEMANDING that the stores be opened on Holidays as some here claim, then they won't mind paying a penny or two more in price.... right?

For someone who has retail management experience you sure lack an understanding of basic business concepts. It's not customer demand, it's market demand. People are willing to buy. People want to buy when receiving deals. Other businesses are willing to be open at certain times, and to sell at certain prices. So the market demand is for Company X to make their goods available at competitive prices, with competitively appealing deals, and at times that capitalize on opportunity to make sales before the customer goes somewhere else.

swoosh!
is 'the market demand' some inanimate object Swim?

I thoroughly understand how advertising and promotions and the competition relationship works.

You just keep missing my POINT, and I am beginning to wonder if it is just because you like to hear yourself speak, or just want to debate someone on anything, anything at all, so that you won't get bored????

I came in to this thread because Roadrunner said the businesses opened on Thanksgiving or Holidays because the customers DEMANDED IT, and NOT because the businesses chose, out of their own free will, to do such, so they could increase their sales....

My stance is that the customers did not demand the stores to be opened on holidays, that it was the department store's corporate office that made this decision and spent a ton on advertising to pull the customers away from their T-Day dinner and football, to come in and shop....THAT is how this began.... and I'll stick to that, because it is the truth.

I'm not missing your point, I get it entirely. The problem is, your arguments do not support the point you're aiming for.

I understand exactly what you're trying to say. Your position is that there is not any true consumer demand because the retail industry actually created the "demand" for black Thursday shopping. It wasn't the customers "demanding" shopping availability, it was the industry seeking higher sales and revenues.

The fault in your argument is that you are wrongly implying that all demand is active demand, i.e. writing letters and telling the company they want something. You are also wrongly failing to recognize that the need to grow revenues is itself a form of demand.

quit being retarded mac. People purpose bills, and some are liked and others not. And you know state rights and all.

Nice to see a lefty defend state's rights, albeit only when they like what the state is doing.

The state can do whatever it wants, it doesn't matter to me. If a business can't afford this new bill or that new law, too bad. Okay. They didn't build that anyway.

I just get a kick of out liberals chafing when it's suggested they may not be quite as pro-business as they claim.

The list of exceptions just keeps getting longer and longer.

people purpose all sorts of laws all the time. Some are really dumb, and others not.
Being for higher pay on holidays does not make on not pro-business. That is just lazy and stupid thinking.
Yeah you keep repeating that they didnt build that line as if you have a point.
I see today you went with stupid mac.

Yes, I know, anyone who dares to disagree with a partisan ideologue is stupid.

Okie dokie, whatever makes you feel better about yourself.

Ah the Partisan stage in macs debating technique. Well this should be over soon. You are about out of responses and are about to start in your circular argument.

you are not going to win many voters over to your side by saying that f you work a holiday you should be paid at a normal rate.

True, if had said that.

What I actually did say is that the state should do what it wants.

And you were the one who pulled the grade school "stupid" routine, not me.

Oh yes, and "retarded".

Grow up a bit and get back to me.

lol...busted and goal post moved.

A local proprietor may not be able to pay his people 3x on a holiday, but a national chain can.

Meh, that's okay, that local proprietor is probably rich and greedy, let the national chain have the customers.

Pass it and we'll see how it goes.

being open on a holiday isnt going to make or break a store, and right now the trend is going towards being closed on thanksgiving. crowds were thinner this year due to boycotts.

But you keep trying this weak angle, im sure it will go somewhere.

I'm not about to read 20 pages, but I'm assuming that the "conservatives" in this thread are decidedly against states' rights on this issue LOL

Used to be that evening and night workers got a bit extra. Not much but it helped. Retailers make most of their year's money off the backs of people who give up their family time in order to support those families.

They are thinking 'trickle down'. They buttress the owner's opportunities and burn the ramparts of the workers.

Any real chance to make it a bit easier on the majority of the wager earning consumers, the Conservatives turn their noses up to. A minimum wage raise, pay equality, simple time and a half for holiday hours worked are all opposed by the Right Wing.

Because the rich are supposed to invest that wealth in either American jobs or Cayman Island banks. Which way did that work out? When the jobs came, they forgot to bring the wages. So wage stagnation is just fine with the Conservatives.

They are thinking 'trickle down'. They buttress the owner's opportunities and burn the ramparts of the workers.

Any real chance to make it a bit easier on the majority of the wager earning consumers, the Conservatives turn their noses up to. A minimum wage raise, pay equality, simple time and a half for holiday hours worked are all opposed by the Right Wing.

Because the rich are supposed to invest that wealth in either American jobs or Cayman Island banks. Which way did that work out? When the jobs came, they forgot to bring the wages. So wage stagnation is just fine with the Conservatives.

Hey let the retailers pay them shit and the government give them food stamps....
It is there fault for being poor..

If we could just cut Food stamps they would be motivated to work harder for less so they don't starve...

If they get sick, hard luck... No Insurance, you will be culled from the herd....

except the examples are never limited, and the state will expand the extra pay to more and more situations, because of course, its not thier money.
This hasn't happened

because no state has been dumb enough for mandating triple pay during a normal workweek.
It's not normal...it's a holiday...
quit projecting your fantasies

anything under 40 hours is a normal work week. If your job calls for you to work on a holiday, you work on the holiday. I've done it, others have done it.
great! good for you!
I didnt actually think there was someone out there who doesnt like holiday pay because if you work and you work those days it should be expected like a normal day. People like you are shit.

People like me worked to get to a job that has holiday pay. I studied in school and paid my dues. If someone doesn't like minimum wage job conditions they should try to get out of a minimum wage job.

People like you want me to pay for people who fucked around early in life and are now whining that their lives are not the way they want to be. They get gullible rubes like you to fleece the rest of us to make up for their mistakes.

Once again Conservatives define "Family Values" as working the holidays for lousy pay.

It seems the only "Families" Conservatives value are the families of the owners and the only thing they "Value" is more profit.

So hospitals, police, fire and rescue take the day off?

These stores are creating shopping opportunities durning family holidays. They are eroding family experiences simply to raise profits. When the stores were closed on holidays, no one seemed to mind. But holiday shopping on Thanksgiving Day is an invention of retailers, not consumers.

Employees are asking for fair pay in exchange of their family holiday.

Conservatives are opposing both fair pay and the idea of a family holiday experience. Gee. Who'd a thunk it? Conservatives positioning themselves in favor of the owners and opposed to the worker and then, screwing that worker out of family time.

What do these Conservatives value? Certainly not working to earn a living, Conservatives feel the only honorable way of making money is by making a killing in the market, certainly not working to earn it. And do Conservatives 'Value' families? Hell no! Unless you want a family that does not dovetail into the narrow, archaic template of 'Family' the myopic Conservatives approve.

I worked every holiday for over 10 years, no big deal. Holidays are overrated, never understood why anyone had to make a special day for a "family experience".

I made family days all year long, I never needed a special day, for a "family experience."

I did have Thursday off this year, we lounged around and then went to an early afternoon movie, got Chinese food and went home.

Next week we have relatives coming to visit, we'll have our "family experience" then.

Forum List

Back