Ohio Dem seeks to legislate triple pay for retail workers on holidays

Am I the only worker to get paid holidays? Why should a worker lose a day's pay because it's a National holiday? Public and private sector workers get holidays off with pay.

If the employer refuses to grant both paid holidays off and time and a half for a holiday worked, that employer cannot be said to value employees.

Both holidays? I thought thanksgiving is one day.

In retail, restaurant, service stations, and on and on, you don't work, you don't get paid.

The rest of your comment is just your opinion, not a fact.
National holidays, not marketing holidays. New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day. and Christmas Day. Hours worked on those National holidays should be paid time and a half or full time if taken as a holiday off.

That values the family, it respects the worker, it is fair for the employer.

How is it fair to force an employer to pay time and a half if someone works on a day they choose to open? If they choose to do so, not a problem. If someone that isn't making the payroll wants to force them to do so, there's no value or respect to that. There's nothing discriminatory, racially motivated, or illegal about opening on a holiday if the business chooses to do so. Personally, I think they should close but it's not my place to tell another business to do that or pay more if they are open. If the employee doesn't like it, quit.
Are there no advantages to working for a living? Why do Conservatives work so tirelessly to screw the working man and side with the employer? Are working people not first and foremost, people?

Is labor just a commodity, or are they fellow citizens?

Does consumer spending drive better than 70% of our economy or does it not? Why do Conservatives believe that redoing that spending base is a good thing for the bottom line, for the well being of the majority of wage earners and for society at large?

Them being people doesn't entitle them to extra pay from their employer because someone not making the payroll thinks it's their business to force that employer to do so. There are advantages to working for a living. It's called a paycheck. No one owes them extra because the employer wants to open a certain day.

Since labor is what is being paid, it's a commodity. Someone works when their boss tells them to and they get paid what they and the boss agreed to BEFORE they started. You confuse someone being a person with being owed something.

Why do people like you think it's any of your damn business to tell an employer what they should do with such things? It's not your business so it's no matter of yours. Keep your nose out of where it doesn't belong.

I side with the employer because I am one. Unless you're willing to pay the extra you would force me to pay on such days, STFU because it's not your money to dictate how it's spent. I don't tell you how to run your finances but you think you have a say in how I do mine. You don't have to like how I do it. You simply have to keep your nose out of my business.
Your employees are the customers in you fellow business owner's shops and stores. Wouldn't it be good for business if every customer of yours had a little more to spend?

Working is a virtue. It is not a monoithic mass of effort by faceless beings. People, yes, customers are the workers. And the wages, benefits and hours of those people have been eroding. It's good business, it's good neighborliness, it's good citizenship to treat the workforce as humanity, not commodity.

Once again Conservatives define "Family Values" as working the holidays for lousy pay.

It seems the only "Families" Conservatives value are the families of the owners and the only thing they "Value" is more profit.

So hospitals, police, fire and rescue take the day off?

These stores are creating shopping opportunities durning family holidays. They are eroding family experiences simply to raise profits. When the stores were closed on holidays, no one seemed to mind. But holiday shopping on Thanksgiving Day is an invention of retailers, not consumers.

Employees are asking for fair pay in exchange of their family holiday.

Conservatives are opposing both fair pay and the idea of a family holiday experience. Gee. Who'd a thunk it? Conservatives positioning themselves in favor of the owners and opposed to the worker and then, screwing that worker out of family time.

What do these Conservatives value? Certainly not working to earn a living, Conservatives feel the only honorable way of making money is by making a killing in the market, certainly not working to earn it. And do Conservatives 'Value' families? Hell no! Unless you want a family that does not dovetail into the narrow, archaic template of 'Family' the myopic Conservatives approve.

I worked every holiday for over 10 years, no big deal. Holidays are overrated, never understood why anyone had to make a special day for a "family experience".

I made family days all year long, I never needed a special day, for a "family experience."

I did have Thursday off this year, we lounged around and then went to an early afternoon movie, got Chinese food and went home.

Next week we have relatives coming to visit, we'll have our "family experience" then.

No concept of what vital jobs... But all these areas goto skeleton staff during this period.

Are you claiming that fire departments go to skeleton staffs on holidays?
No. Those employed in essential services would get time and a half for holiday hours. Retailers create marketing opportunities on National holidays. Those working retail are not essential services. Because their employer arbitrarily took a National holiday away from them, such employees should enjoy just compensation for their sacrifice. That's time taken away from families, time that has traditionally been time off. Many employees get at least six National holidays off with pay. New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. These six days would be mandatory time and a half or paid time off.

Why should a worker lose a day's pay because it's a National holiday?

I used to ask that question over and over again every time I was sitting at home on a holiday that meant nothing to me, not getting paid because I wasn't working.

My solution? I found a job that stayed open on holidays.

Public and private sector workers get holidays off with pay.

Yep, it's very common. In fact, most companies offer some form of reasonable holiday pay already. What is the point of having the government come in and demand an unreasonably high holiday pay?

If the employer refuses to grant both paid holidays off and time and a half for a holiday worked, that employer cannot be said to value employees.

Bullshit. There is no reason for both to be necessary. One or the other is sufficient, and pretty standard, BTW. What you are demanding is virtually unheardof. In fact, I've never once seen any employer who will give you an extra full day's pay for a holiday plus time-and-a-half for working that holiday.

No concept of what vital jobs... But all these areas goto skeleton staff during this period.
No one said take the day off. I am saying that a National standard of time and a half for ALL workers on National Holidays is at least fair.

Essential workers understand the 24/7 nature of their work. But when retailers create another marketing day out of National holidays, their workers too deserve just compensation.

True the retail workers is tougher, however, those workers lose a day of pay sitting home and that pay is important to their budgets.

So is it fair for them to be made to sit at home and make nothing when they'd rather work and make an income?

And yes many on this board want these retailers closed, not fair compensation, closed.
Am I the only worker to get paid holidays? Why should a worker lose a day's pay because it's a National holiday? Public and private sector workers get holidays off with pay.

In retail, restaurant, service stations, and on and on, you don't work, you don't get paid.

National holidays, not marketing holidays. New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day. and Christmas Day. Hours worked on those National holidays should be paid time and a half or full time if taken as a holiday off.

I disagree, if the employer hires you with the stipulation that he doesn't pay for those Holidays, the. You don't get paid.

Christmas is a religious holiday as is Thanksgiving, so those two days should just go away, church and state thing.

Give me more PTO, I want the days off when I want them off. I'd go for that, all the holidays are marketing holidays, not a one you mentioned isn't.

Once again Conservatives define "Family Values" as working the holidays for lousy pay.

It seems the only "Families" Conservatives value are the families of the owners and the only thing they "Value" is more profit.

These stores are creating shopping opportunities durning family holidays. They are eroding family experiences simply to raise profits. When the stores were closed on holidays, no one seemed to mind. But holiday shopping on Thanksgiving Day is an invention of retailers, not consumers.

Employees are asking for fair pay in exchange of their family holiday.

Conservatives are opposing both fair pay and the idea of a family holiday experience. Gee. Who'd a thunk it? Conservatives positioning themselves in favor of the owners and opposed to the worker and then, screwing that worker out of family time.

What do these Conservatives value? Certainly not working to earn a living, Conservatives feel the only honorable way of making money is by making a killing in the market, certainly not working to earn it. And do Conservatives 'Value' families? Hell no! Unless you want a family that does not dovetail into the narrow, archaic template of 'Family' the myopic Conservatives approve.

I worked every holiday for over 10 years, no big deal. Holidays are overrated, never understood why anyone had to make a special day for a "family experience".

I made family days all year long, I never needed a special day, for a "family experience."

I did have Thursday off this year, we lounged around and then went to an early afternoon movie, got Chinese food and went home.

Next week we have relatives coming to visit, we'll have our "family experience" then.

Are you claiming that fire departments go to skeleton staffs on holidays?
No. Those employed in essential services would get time and a half for holiday hours. Retailers create marketing opportunities on National holidays. Those working retail are not essential services. Because their employer arbitrarily took a National holiday away from them, such employees should enjoy just compensation for their sacrifice. That's time taken away from families, time that has traditionally been time off. Many employees get at least six National holidays off with pay. New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. These six days would be mandatory time and a half or paid time off.

Sorry, none of you damn business whether or not an employer is open on those holidays unless YOU'RE willing to pay that extra wage. In other words, since it's not your business, butt your ass out of where it doesn't belong.

How is it fair to force an employer to pay time and a half if someone works on a day they choose to open? If they choose to do so, not a problem. If someone that isn't making the payroll wants to force them to do so, there's no value or respect to that. There's nothing discriminatory, racially motivated, or illegal about opening on a holiday if the business chooses to do so. Personally, I think they should close but it's not my place to tell another business to do that or pay more if they are open. If the employee doesn't like it, quit.
Are there no advantages to working for a living? Why do Conservatives work so tirelessly to screw the working man and side with the employer? Are working people not first and foremost, people?

Is labor just a commodity, or are they fellow citizens?

Does consumer spending drive better than 70% of our economy or does it not? Why do Conservatives believe that redoing that spending base is a good thing for the bottom line, for the well being of the majority of wage earners and for society at large?

Them being people doesn't entitle them to extra pay from their employer because someone not making the payroll thinks it's their business to force that employer to do so. There are advantages to working for a living. It's called a paycheck. No one owes them extra because the employer wants to open a certain day.

Since labor is what is being paid, it's a commodity. Someone works when their boss tells them to and they get paid what they and the boss agreed to BEFORE they started. You confuse someone being a person with being owed something.

Why do people like you think it's any of your damn business to tell an employer what they should do with such things? It's not your business so it's no matter of yours. Keep your nose out of where it doesn't belong.

I side with the employer because I am one. Unless you're willing to pay the extra you would force me to pay on such days, STFU because it's not your money to dictate how it's spent. I don't tell you how to run your finances but you think you have a say in how I do mine. You don't have to like how I do it. You simply have to keep your nose out of my business.
Your employees are the customers in you fellow business owner's shops and stores. Wouldn't it be good for business if every customer of yours had a little more to spend?

Working is a virtue. It is not a monoithic mass of effort by faceless beings. People, yes, customers are the workers. And the wages, benefits and hours of those people have been eroding. It's good business, it's good neighborliness, it's good citizenship to treat the workforce as humanity, not commodity.

Oh, the they have more to spend bullshit. What would be good if for someone that isn't making the payroll for that business to butt the fuck out of what someone that does pays. You don't get it. It's none of your damn business.

It's good business to make a profit. That's why people go into business. That flowery bullshit is nonsense. Again, what would make you a good neighbor is to keep your nose out of where it doesn't belong.

Give me more PTO, I want the days off when I want them off. I'd go for that, all the holidays are marketing holidays, not a one you mentioned isn't.

That's what my job does, and it's a beautiful thing. We work 24/7/365. There are no paid holidays. Period. None. Hell, we don't even have sick pay. But what we do get is a very generous 88 hours of PTO every six months for the first 5 years of employment, and 128 hours every six months from there on out. With no expiration, to boot. The flexibility is phenomenal.

Sorry, none of you damn business whether or not an employer is open on those holidays unless YOU'RE willing to pay that extra wage. In other words, since it's not your business, butt your ass out of where it doesn't belong.

Actually, I have to somewhat disagree. If he's employed by that company, then it is his business. As in, negotiate the compensation package you want before you accept the position. And if you can't convince them that you're worth it either find someone who you can convince, or get to work and demonstrate your value to earn it. But hey, that might be too much logic for a liberal.

Actually, I have to somewhat disagree. If he's employed by that company, then it is his business. As in, negotiate the compensation package you want before you accept the position. And if you can't convince them that you're worth it either find someone who you can convince, or get to work and demonstrate your value to earn it. But hey, that might be too much logic for a liberal.

When people accept those positions they know before they start that they may have to work on those holidays. Bitching about it and wanting more after the fact is the typical entitlement mindset of "someone owes me even though I agreed to it beforehand". Unless those supporting it are making the payroll for the businesses they say must do this, they need to butt out.

No one said take the day off. I am saying that a National standard of time and a half for ALL workers on National Holidays is at least fair.

Essential workers understand the 24/7 nature of their work. But when retailers create another marketing day out of National holidays, their workers too deserve just compensation.

True the retail workers is tougher, however, those workers lose a day of pay sitting home and that pay is important to their budgets.

So is it fair for them to be made to sit at home and make nothing when they'd rather work and make an income?

And yes many on this board want these retailers closed, not fair compensation, closed.

I disagree, if the employer hires you with the stipulation that he doesn't pay for those Holidays, the. You don't get paid.

Christmas is a religious holiday as is Thanksgiving, so those two days should just go away, church and state thing.

Thanksgiving is not a religious holiday. And have you become so jaded not to realize the significance of Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day? You could not see New Year's Day as a good holiday? Would you screw the worker at work and then take New Year's Eve away as a party night?

And you should get paid days off whenever lu want them. We have called then "vacation days" for years.

When people accept those positions they know before they start that they may have to work on those holidays. Bitching about it and wanting more after the fact is the typical entitlement mindset of "someone owes me even though I agreed to it beforehand". Unless those supporting it are making the payroll for the businesses they say must do this, they need to butt out.

I know, I'm not disagreeing with that. Just pointing out that 99.9% of what liberals complain about regarding workers' pay all boil down to negotiating the compensation that you want. These idiots can't do that, so they want government to force the compensation that they want. The sad thing is that negotiation skills aren't that difficult to learn. If they'd spend a little more time typing "negotiating pay" into their search box, and less time typing "give me candy" in there, they'd get alot more out of it.

A lot of countries already increase pay on holidays, if people have to work. Obviously businesses aren't going to put as many people on staff on those days though.

If the business chooses to do that, fine. When the government mandates it, it's not. No one has to work. If they don't want to work on a day they're scheduled, they can quit.

I know, I'm not disagreeing with that. Just pointing out that 99.9% of what liberals complain about regarding workers' pay all boil down to negotiating the compensation that you want. These idiots can't do that, so they want government to force the compensation that they want. The sad thing is that negotiation skills aren't that difficult to learn. If they'd spend a little more time typing "negotiating pay" into their search box, and less time typing "give me candy" in there, they'd get alot more out of it.

We agree. The Liberals, knowing that someone knew their wage and potential hours BEFORE they started, don't care. Living up to an agreement is not one of their fortes. They think if someone doesn't like the conditions after the fact, it's OK to mandate the business accommodate them. If they spent half as much time bettering themselves as they do demanding someone give them something, lots of problems would go away. I haven't worked a holiday in 20 years. Offering higher level skills in a higher level position gives me that perk.

I know one Ohio Democrat that doesn't own a business or want stay in business long if he does.

Why should a worker lose a day's pay because it's a National holiday?

I used to ask that question over and over again every time I was sitting at home on a holiday that meant nothing to me, not getting paid because I wasn't working.

My solution? I found a job that stayed open on holidays.

Public and private sector workers get holidays off with pay.

Yep, it's very common. In fact, most companies offer some form of reasonable holiday pay already. What is the point of having the government come in and demand an unreasonably high holiday pay?

Bullshit. There is no reason for both to be necessary. One or the other is sufficient, and pretty standard, BTW. What you are demanding is virtually unheardof. In fact, I've never once seen any employer who will give you an extra full day's pay for a holiday plus time-and-a-half for working that holiday.
Eight hours paid time off six times a year hardly merit is seeing it as 'unreasonably high' benefits. And you were the clever accountant who added "plus" to the equation.

Everyday I listen to Conservatives complain of the loss of Family Values. Six paid days off, or a fair time and a half rate, would go a long way toward balancing your checkbooks, both finacial and ethical.

And you should get paid days off whenever lu want them. We have called then "vacation days" for years.

As many as you want? What is all employees want the same day off for vacation. Should that be honored for all of them?
You mean to say that employers are baffled by employee vacations too? Just as misery enjoys company, the confused like to get together. Is that why you're a Boss' Boy?

Eight hours paid time off six times a year hardly merit is seeing it as 'unreasonably high' benefits. And you were the clever accountant who added "plus" to the equation.

Everyday I listen to Conservatives complain of the loss of Family Values. Six paid days off, or a fair time and a half rate, would go a long way toward balancing your checkbooks, both finacial and ethical.

Backing away from your own position, I see.

The vast majority of employers will either give you a paid day off on holidays, or time-and-a-half for working the holiday, for full time employees. That's reasonable. My previous company was even more generous, as they gave us 8 hours of holiday pay in addition to our hours worked for that week. So even though I got regular pay for working the holiday, I essentially got a bonus for select paid holidays. My current company gives an even better package, IMO. So why in the world should the government demand 3x pay for working holidays?

As many as you want? What is all employees want the same day off for vacation. Should that be honored for all of them?
You mean to say that employers are baffled by employee vacations too? Just as misery enjoys company, the confused like to get together. Is that why you're a Boss' Boy?

There's not a problem with employee vacation time. There is one when the employee thinks they can take it without asking permission or the employer says no because people have already asked off.

I'm the boss dickhead, something you'll never be.

Forum List

Back