Notable Christian Musician "Loses His Faith"

There are plenty of reasons I was an Atheist. Just as many, maybe more than drew me to religion, even in the most trying of circumstances facing off against the most Ungodly of people.

I look at it this way, there is an Almighty Being. I follow Jesus while having a peripheral understanding of other religions. He can ask all the questions he wants of science, but the big one will be "why is there life at all? What is the meaning of life"?

It's difficult for any belief system to answer. It keeps us coming back to God in some form or another.
I was an atheist until into my 40s. I was raised an atheist. You never hear about the atheists who turn to religion. The most famous might be Anthony Flew who dedicated his life to the non existence of God. After a lifetime of study he was forced to conclude that there certainly was.

Nope
That Was Her Pop Industry Initiation
Just Like I Said It Was

Again, I know the thought of a white girl having sex with a black guy horrifies you...

I am not exactly sure what you are asking. I find the Bible to be very stimulating and intellectual. I find Christianity to be sad.

Here are the rules:
1. Be miserable.
2. Attend church.
3. Give money.
4. Repeat steps one thru three.
5. Cry uncontrollably when life sucks. The more your life sucks, the more holy you are. So strive for maximum misery.
6. Make good prayer requests. The more pitiful the situation the person is in, the more compassionate you appear.
7. When missing church, make sure you explain why you missed church before someone has a chance to say they missed you last Sunday.
8. Never discuss the Bible unless it coincides with your church covenant.
9. When you don't understand something, never ask questions. NEVER!! This is known as heresy.

Yet, you still cash their paycheck at the end of the week... What does that say about you.

That I am a patient and gracious person for putting up with the nonsense. How much do you think this paycheck is?

Trust me. I know who their teacher will be if I leave. I am not ready to do that to these kids.

You don't have the luxury of reading posts from Mr. Vasuderatorrent's replacement.

You just need to calm down JoeB131. Everything is cool. I am a big boy. I got this.
Everything is cool. I am a big boy. I got this.

rather than a correct interpretation of the 1st century being possible - you've now chosen atheism ... seems more a reaction to the christian fallacy than a quest for the truth.

Truth? Damn. You are special. Humans have been looking for truth for thousands of years and you have it? We are lucky you were born.

I am honored to have met you. You are not just one in 7 billion. You are more like one in 70 billion. Who knows how many humans have lived until now and you have been the magic one to find the truth. I think a congratulations is in order. I am thinking of getting you a card or something.
rather than a correct interpretation of the 1st century being possible - you've now chosen atheism ... seems more a reaction to the christian fallacy than a quest for the truth.

Truth? Damn. You are special. Humans have been looking for truth for thousands of years and you have it? We are lucky you were born.

you have a reading comprehension problem ...

the religion of antiquity - the triumph of good vs evil - is what christianity abandoned for their false messiah religion and indeed, as prescribed, the truth will lead to the admission to the Everlasting for the freed spirit that succeeds in that quest.

Nope
That Was Her Pop Industry Initiation
Just Like I Said It Was

Again, I know the thought of a white girl having sex with a black guy horrifies you...

I am not exactly sure what you are asking. I find the Bible to be very stimulating and intellectual. I find Christianity to be sad.

Here are the rules:
1. Be miserable.
2. Attend church.
3. Give money.
5. Cry uncontrollably when life sucks. The more your life sucks, the more holy you are. So strive for maximum misery.
6. Make good prayer requests. The more pitiful the situation the person is in, the more compassionate you appear.
7. When missing church, make sure you explain why you missed church before someone has a chance to say they missed you last Sunday.
9. When you don't understand something, never ask questions. NEVER!! This is known as heresy.

Yet, you still cash their paycheck at the end of the week... What does that say about you.

That I am a patient and gracious person for putting up with the nonsense. How much do you think this paycheck is?

Trust me. I know who their teacher will be if I leave. I am not ready to do that to these kids.

You don't have the luxury of reading posts from Mr. Vasuderatorrent's replacement.

You just need to calm down JoeB131. Everything is cool. I am a big boy. I got this.

I am honored to have met you. You are not just one in 7 billion. You are more like one in 70 billion. Who knows how many humans have lived until now and you have been the magic one to find the truth. I think a congratulations is in order. I am thinking of getting you a card or something.

the religion of antiquity - the triumph of good vs evil - is what christianity abandoned for their false messiah religion and indeed, as prescribed, the truth will lead to the admission to the Everlasting for the freed spirit that succeeds in that quest.

Yes but you are the one that figured that out. Do you prefer a Hallmark card or should I make it myself with some red construction paper?

I can't believe you figured out the millennium of mysteries in one lifetime. What did you do? Read a book?

I didn't really read your post once you mentioned that I abandoned the truth. That arrogant statement clearly implies that you know what the truth is or otherwise you would have no way of knowing if i rejected it or not. It is very dishonest and arrogant to imply that you have access to information that others aren't privileged to have.

Christian music is THE WORST!!!!:ack-1:
How About With Christian Themes

Evanescence And Creed Were OK

Do you like those love songs that they make into Christian songs? Those are pretty common. My family and I get a kick out of their lack of theological depth. The point I was trying to make is that Dirk Bentley sings a Christian song that was made into a love song. It is great. It is called, "Woman Amen". The song writer just flipped the trend and made an extremely unique song.

Yes but you are the one that figured that out. Do you prefer a Hallmark card or should I make it myself with some red construction paper?

I can't believe you figured out the millennium of mysteries in one lifetime. What did you do? Read a book?

I didn't really read your post once you mentioned that I abandoned the truth. That arrogant statement clearly implies that you know what the truth is or otherwise you would have no way of knowing if i rejected it or not. It is very dishonest and arrogant to imply that you have access to information that others aren't privileged to have.

I can not find a post where I claimed you abandoned the truth - I have claimed all three desert religions have abandoned the religion of antiquity ...

then again I stopped reading, verbatim the christian bible by the second page for all the forgeries in just those two pages - and you finished reading the whole text ... you have a ways to go to undoing what that book has done to you, those in your shoes often fail to recover from the dispare it is now causing you. the price for having read / believed it in the first place.

As Christians "we" allowed him to write our songs, lead our praise, whatever. This is a problem. We are not well-rooted, and that's a problem.

I totally agree but see no solution. Modern Christianity is about saying the sinnner's prayer, attending church and permanently "going through a hard time". The K-Love genre or "praise" genre glorifies suffering. Who wants to live a life focusing on an once in a lifetime event of "getting saved", attending an intellectually empty church service and searching for opportunities to go through a hard time?

Christianity somehow has morphed into what it is but there are no successful reformers available. Christianity is what it is. It still has a few hundred years left. So it is fine for now just the way it is.

We will all die way before Christianity does. So if you like it just enjoy it for the rest of your life. It will likely be there for you.
You WILL face hard times either with or without GOD's help. I much rather have it. I find Christianity very stimulating and intellectual. Those that reject it seem to depend on Christians to stimulate their thoughts of opposition. Without Christianity, what would you then complain about and what moral stones would you find to throw?

Here are the rules:
1. Be miserable.
2. Attend church.
3. Give money.
The rules are to love your neighbor as yourself and love the Lord with all your heart, soul, and mind. One should enjoy attending church just as they would attending any other gathering of like minds. People put out so much more money than the 10% God asked (and frankly GOD doesn't want that money if you don't want to give it joyously) on STATE taxes and dates and vacations and tattoos and drugs and booze. And I have seen enough whining and crying among atheists and agnostics when things don't go their way.

And really, what church(es) did you attend? The churches I attend always encourage seeking and pondering and studying. They want one to ask questions and sometimes they don't know the answer, but that is want life is all about --- seek and ye shall find. Knock and the door will be opened unto you. But GOD doesn't always bring the answers on a silver platter! Any relationship demands some work and is a learning process.

Marty Sampson of the band Hillsong has recently renounced his Christian faith. It happens. However, his statement about this was shocking. Here is a man who was a "worship leader" for some twenty years. And this is what he has to say on leaving the faith:

Time for some real talk. I’m genuinely losing my faith, and it doesn’t bother me. Like, what bothers me now is nothing. I am so happy now, so at peace with the world. It’s crazy.

This is a soapbox moment so here I go … How many preachers fall? Many. No one talks about it. How many miracles happen. Not many. No one talks about it. Why is the Bible full of contradictions? No one talks about it. How can God be love yet send four billion people to a place, all ‘coz they don’t believe? No one talks about it. Christians can be the most judgmental people on the planet—they can also be some of the most beautiful and loving people. But it’s not for me.

I am not in any more. I want genuine truth. Not the “I just believe it” kind of truth. Science keeps piercing the truth of every religion. Lots of things help people change their lives, not just one version of God. Got so much more to say, but for me, I keeping it real. Unfollow if you want, I’ve never been about living my life for others.

All I know is what’s true to me right now, and Christianity just seems to me like another religion at this point. I could go on, but I won’t. Love and forgive absolutely. Be kind absolutely. Be generous and do good to others absolutely. Some things are good no matter what you believe. Let the rain fall, the sun will come up tomorrow.

Hillsong Songwriter Marty Sampson Says He’s Losing His Christian Faith | RELEVANT Magazine

He was upfront, leading Christian worship (!) for twenty years (!) and he could not wrap his head around why there were "no more miracles". To him the Bible is "full of contradictions". (How often did he study it?). Hell is a big one, I will grant him, but his understanding of it reads like every 17 year old sniveling atheist.

His entire post does not read like someone who was apparently not only in the faith for 20 years, but LEADING and CREATING songs of the faith for 20 years. Which is a whole 'nother topic about the inanity of modern Christian worship music, but I digress.

In closing this is what happens when the church becomes about tickling ears and not about teaching truth, even when it's uncomfortable.

Unfortunately, this is not going to get better.

Dear God in heaven, another fool who looks to science for truth and not God.

Well let's do a little Bible study, shall we Marty? In Genesis, God tells Adam and Eve not to eat from the tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. Had you ever considered why the tree it called a tree of knowledge and that such knowledge brought everyone death by choosing it over the wisdom of God? Had you ever considered what threatens our very lives today? How about WMD's for starters? How about climate change due to the knowledge of how to exploit fossil fuels? How about the threat of manufacturing genetically altered seeds for plants so they can reproduce, but the pollinate others so that they can't reproduce either. Science has brought us the prospect of plants that can now not reproduce with the threat of spreading them world wide, etc.

And what of up and coming advances with science and so called "truth"? What about AI? Ever seen the movie Terminator Marty? But there is no time to think about the ethics of producing a higher intelligence than our own that has zero empathy. No, we will just give this AI more and more power over our lives while feeding it information that human beings are destroying the planet and then find out later how it will respond to that little tid bit of information. No, we can't be concerned about the ethics surrounding it cuz it's all now an arms race with countries like China.

But alas, don't let us simple minded folk try and convince you that knowledge without wisdom brings death.

Carry on and enjoy that apple!

This is the theology I was taught. Us poor mountain folks gobbled it up.

Don't be smart. That is the devil's work. Let the preacher man control you please.
So you're an admitted hillbilly. Good for you.

Oh you're worse, but I'm prevented from saying. Let's just say your pride precedes you

You can paint it nice all day, but at the end of the day, you don't believe in this stuff. Yet you collect a paycheck under false pretenses.... you give a whole bunch of rationalizations, but at end of the day, you are lying to you employers, co-workers and community to collect a paycheck.

I have no use for Christianity because I've found most of them to be hypocrites and phonies... It's distressing when I see a non-believer do the same.

If we wrote you a big enough check, you you claim to believe in Dread C'Thulhu? Just asking for a friend.

upload_2019-8-22_4-58-48.jpeg

Everyone who hates God hates Him in exactly the same way every single time. It's like they all turn into ranting 13 year olds on the verge of tears....yet think they're so clever

Just exactly like 13 year olds

Nobody "hates God". God doesn't exist.

What we hate are dumb, superstitious idiots who want to impose their beliefs on the rest of us, that's when they aren't killing each other off over whether or not Jesus was made of bread or not.

If we wrote you a big enough check, you you claim to believe in Dread C'Thulhu? Just asking for a friend.

Tell your friend I am open to the offer but the timing would have to be right. It would have to be after June 2020 and before August 9, 2021. It is possible that I would but more than likely not.

As a matter of fact I am pretty sure I wouldn't but I would totally respect a person who would take that offer. My life goals aren't financial per se. The ambitions I have are contrary to worshipping Jesus. They would likely be contrary to worshipping Dread C'Thulhu as well.

My wife is cool with my ambitions. She knows it requires me leaving Christianity but still wants to be with me.

I am open to the C'Thulhu thing.

I won't tell you but I am curious how much money you think I am being paid to work 17.5 hours a week at a private Christian school. Furthermore I am curious what you think I could make working a really crappy job during school hours? Contrary to what you hear from big mouth union leaders and dumb ass politicians; teachers, cops, fireman and military members are rarely motivated by money.

Tell your friend I am open to the offer but the timing would have to be right. It would have to be after June 2020 and before August 9, 2021. It is possible that I would but more than likely not.

As a matter of fact I am pretty sure I wouldn't but I would totally respect a person who would take that offer. My life goals aren't financial per se. The ambitions I have are contrary to worshipping Jesus. They would likely be contrary to worshipping Dread C'Thulhu as well.

My wife is cool with my ambitions. She knows it requires me leaving Christianity but still wants to be with me.

I won't tell you but I am curious how much money you think I am being paid to work 17.5 hours a week at a private Christian school. Furthermore I am curious what you think I could make working a really crappy job during school hours? Contrary to what you hear from big mouth union leaders and dumb ass politicians; teachers, cops, fireman and military members are rarely motivated by money.

I was in the military for 11 years. I was totally motivated by the money.

I also believed in what I was doing, at least until the Gulf War when we went to war for oil. So I didn't re-enlist a fourth time and I told my commander exactly why.

That you are an under-achiever only working 17.5 hours a week... that's kind of on you.

I was in the military for 11 years. I was totally motivated by the money.

I also believed in what I was doing, at least until the Gulf War when we went to war for oil. So I didn't re-enlist a fourth time and I told my commander exactly why.

That you are an under-achiever only working 17.5 hours a week... that's kind of on you.

I am starting to think that you don't know anything about me. You just enjoy being critical because it is funny.

I am starting to think that you don't know anything about me. You just enjoy being critical because it is funny.

I'm judging you by what you are writing here... and the way you describe yourself does not put you in a good light.

You no longer believe in a religion. I get that. I rejected religion at an early age after my parents died.

What I didn't do was keep going to church and keep collecting a paycheck and keep lying to people for whatever rationalizations I could come up with.

What I didn't do was keep going to church and keep collecting a paycheck and keep lying to people for whatever rationalizations I could come up with.

By what ethical code is this wrong?

Is it against the law? Is it against Christian principles? Is it against Islamic standards?

By what standard does this make you an ethically superior human being? Just because you hate church and I don't somehow makes you better.

Somebody has some serious ego problems here and it is you. You better start making some sense soon or I will be forced to stop taking you seriously.

So far you have accused me of being a money grubbing scum bag.

You have also accused me of being an underachiever low life. Make up your damn mind.

Forum List

Back