Notable Christian Musician "Loses His Faith"

As Christians "we" allowed him to write our songs, lead our praise, whatever. This is a problem. We are not well-rooted, and that's a problem.

I totally agree but see no solution. Modern Christianity is about saying the sinnner's prayer, attending church and permanently "going through a hard time". The K-Love genre or "praise" genre glorifies suffering. Who wants to live a life focusing on an once in a lifetime event of "getting saved", attending an intellectually empty church service and searching for opportunities to go through a hard time?

Christianity somehow has morphed into what it is but there are no successful reformers available. Christianity is what it is. It still has a few hundred years left. So it is fine for now just the way it is.

We will all die way before Christianity does. So if you like it just enjoy it for the rest of your life. It will likely be there for you.
You WILL face hard times either with or without GOD's help. I much rather have it. I find Christianity very stimulating and intellectual. Those that reject it seem to depend on Christians to stimulate their thoughts of opposition. Without Christianity, what would you then complain about and what moral stones would you find to throw?

Well, we certainly know the effects of its decline in a country; murdering babies by the many millions, rampant dope addictions, mindless self-indulgence, and bizarre sexual deviancies are now billed as 'normal', and wealth is worshiped as the only true measure of 'achievement'. Both right and left wing ideological fantasies treat humans as nothing but 'economic units', to be disposed of when no longer 'productive', etc. Red China and the Soviet Union are considered 'the good guys' now.
Both right and left wing ideological fantasies treat humans as nothing but 'economic units', to be disposed of when no longer 'productive', etc.

sicko, what origin country were you raised in ...

Yes, we know 'You're With Stupid", fartwoody.

Sampson, who for years has written songs for and toured with the popular music group Hillsong United, recently announced on social media that he was losing his faith. He subsequently clarified that he had not renounced Christianity entirely but that his faith was on shaky ground. The original Instagram post where he said he was losing his faith has since been deleted.
Marty Sampson responds to Skillet's John Cooper: I was being honest, not trying to draw attention

When Marty Sampson Shared His Faith Struggles, Here's What He Did for Others

I think many people re-evaluate or take stock multiple times throughout their life no matter what their belief system, or the lack there of, is. It is fitting for any individual to outgrow Hillsong or multiple other megachurches. Judaism and Christianity are replete with characters encountering a crisis of faith.

Sampson may not be leaving Christianity but simply evolving. I'm not saying that to leave Christianity is to evolve. I'm saying that Hillsong itself appears to be devoid of a lot of things that some of it's ex-members are seeking and while that may appeal to a certain type of individual to many others it's not. It's probably why his questions appear to be from a 17 year old atheist.

From the Book of Robert of Frost

Chapter 1 Verse 4
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Marty Sampson can have a journey as well.

The difference is this. "I've been married for 25 years and quite happily so, here's some advice on being married"

vs.

"Yeah me and my wife are separating after 25 years of marriage--here's what I think of making a happy marriage"

EVERYONE is very eager to hear the latter when it comes to Christianity. Ever notice that? That is what gets a lot of play and attention. No one gives a rip about the former.

There has been an uproar over this church that is believed to be forcing a change in the format of services to compete.

This is a format that a lot of people appear to be really unhappy with.

Perhaps, it's a gift.

Or perhaps people should listen to more than one minister all the time. It's complex theology, some are going to get lost, others will expand their experiences and do fine. If all you listened to were sermons by Osteen, who doesn't pretend to be a theologian or intellectual, then naturally you will see a lot of disappointment, for instance, since there is far more to it than what just one minister can ever cover, hence why there are so many different ones out there. It's also a very social religion, meant to be discussed and argued over among members themselves.

Judaism is far older; how much uniformity does one find in it? The old yiddish joke re if you find two Jews arguing theology at a bus stop you will hear three opinions is a joke told from experience.

Wouldn't that be the gift? Intrinsic motivation to change? There are people that are in church every Wednesday and Sunday and they are satisfied. There are others that decide they need to learn Koine Greek. Both can happen and at different stages of one's life. I agree that it should be discussed and argued but there are churches where that doesn't occur.

I read the weekly parshah and multiple interpretations from different Rabbis. The same Rabbi can offer different insights each year. I love it.

To clarify I meant 'argued' in the formal sense, not the 'let's brawl and swap sophistry til we're bored stupid' sense. And yes, some people, perhaps the majority, should probably just stick to the 'Sermon On The Mount', with some education on what is being said, the only 'public' sermon Jesus gave; the problem with it is that too many will assume it means some sort of extreme pacifism, when it doesn't, and a couple of other errors.

I think it would be debate. I haven't seen a good debate for some 7 or so years.

As Christians "we" allowed him to write our songs, lead our praise, whatever. This is a problem. We are not well-rooted, and that's a problem.

I totally agree but see no solution. Modern Christianity is about saying the sinnner's prayer, attending church and permanently "going through a hard time". The K-Love genre or "praise" genre glorifies suffering. Who wants to live a life focusing on an once in a lifetime event of "getting saved", attending an intellectually empty church service and searching for opportunities to go through a hard time?

Christianity somehow has morphed into what it is but there are no successful reformers available. Christianity is what it is. It still has a few hundred years left. So it is fine for now just the way it is.

We will all die way before Christianity does. So if you like it just enjoy it for the rest of your life. It will likely be there for you.
You WILL face hard times either with or without GOD's help. I much rather have it. I find Christianity very stimulating and intellectual. Those that reject it seem to depend on Christians to stimulate their thoughts of opposition. Without Christianity, what would you then complain about and what moral stones would you find to throw?

Well, we certainly know the effects of its decline in a country; murdering babies by the many millions, rampant dope addictions, mindless self-indulgence, and bizarre sexual deviancies are now billed as 'normal', and wealth is worshiped as the only true measure of 'achievement'. Both right and left wing ideological fantasies treat humans as nothing but 'economic units', to be disposed of when no longer 'productive', etc. Red China and the Soviet Union are considered 'the good guys' now.
Both right and left wing ideological fantasies treat humans as nothing but 'economic units', to be disposed of when no longer 'productive', etc.

sicko, what origin country were you raised in ...

Yes, we know 'You're With Stupid", fartwoody.
sicko, you did not answer the question, your country of origin -

images

is it pakistan ...

Why is his leaving so personal to YOU?
Could his lack of understanding as you see it possibly be the reason for his departure? That he left the religion just like people leave relationships because they no longer provide them with anything or in the very least the things that they want and need?
I know people who enjoy reading the Bible who are not Christian but they also love learning about others including their religions. Reading religious texts is not easy for me and since it's not a requirement I just don't do it, it's too much like work.

I love music in general, most types but why are you upset that I enjoy Christian Contemporary? I was just mentioning to someone the other day that I love Prince of Peace and a New Hallelujah by Michael W Smith featuring the African Children's choir. I thought Christ brought a message of love to the world, I didn't realize that it was exclusively for his followers.

Um. When you belong to an organization in which you share the same vision, goals, and ideals, and someone leaves that organization while at the same time betraying it--it's personal. Or else you don't really believe it. Right?

Believe me, every time some female teacher dog preys on a young man--especially a special needs young man--it's personal to me. Not personal in that I know her, but personal in that she betrayed the profession that I love.

I really don't think this is difficult to understand. Is it?
No your comment doesn't make sense - what bitch are you referring to and what special needs young man? Your response caused me to go back and not only re-read the OP but also to check out the link and i saw nothing that refers to him being taken advantage of by someone in your field.

Furthermore, while people join grouops of like-minded individuals, everyone of us has our own beliefs, our own aspirations, our own needs & desires. When they align with those of others and we choose to join them then great, but things oftentime change.

Disappointment at this turn of events is definitely warranted, however anger at him and considering his change of heart as betrayal seems a bit extreme to me. People change their minds all of the time, even after having stated that they want one thing, or believe one thing they then leave - jobs, residences, relationships and apparently religions. Maybe they were presented with additional information that they did not have originally but I don't see how it is a reflection upon those who remain.

K you realize that now you seem to be taking this personally. Right?
Why would I be taking this personally? I'm not a Christian, he's not leaving my religion, or me personally, or a group that we were all in. You're the who is upset, you admitted as much and then tried to explain why him leaving is considered a betrayal. Some people would say good riddence, his loss not take it as a reflection upon themselves or their religion

All I've done is ask the question as to WHY people get so offended when one of their team members abdicates. I explained I was trying to be sensitive to your feelings because I know you're a devout Christian however I was trying to get some insight, certainly my intent was not to increase your anguish.

I'm not at all anguished. If you cannot understand why people would be upset after leaving your organization after they've been a leader in that org for a long time, and then panning it--I don't know what to tell you. I guess then YOU have the problem.
I don't know what you mean by "panning it".

And no Sue, I don't have a problem simply because I don't believe as you do. That's what is causing the strife within your religion now as well as others.

Nope
That Was Her Pop Industry Initiation
Just Like I Said It Was

Again, I know the thought of a white girl having sex with a black guy horrifies you...

I am not exactly sure what you are asking. I find the Bible to be very stimulating and intellectual. I find Christianity to be sad.

Here are the rules:
1. Be miserable.
2. Attend church.
3. Give money.
4. Repeat steps one thru three.
5. Cry uncontrollably when life sucks. The more your life sucks, the more holy you are. So strive for maximum misery.
6. Make good prayer requests. The more pitiful the situation the person is in, the more compassionate you appear.
7. When missing church, make sure you explain why you missed church before someone has a chance to say they missed you last Sunday.
8. Never discuss the Bible unless it coincides with your church covenant.
9. When you don't understand something, never ask questions. NEVER!! This is known as heresy.

Yet, you still cash their paycheck at the end of the week... What does that say about you.

JoeB131 said:
Again, I know the thought of a white girl having sex with a black guy horrifies you...
Nope
Again, And Again:
Her Producers Made Her Kiss A Girl And Like It, Too
That Was Her Pop Industry From Christian To Pop Initiation
Just Like I Said It Was

I Know This Isn't Over Your Head
I Don't Know How I Could Spell It Out More Clearly
So The Race Fixation Must Be Your's
Goes To Show
Progs Have Race On The Brain

Draw A Picture For Ya:

CELEBS WITH ILLUMINATI EYE SYMBOLS.jpg

See This Symbolism All The Time Too:

Baphomet.png

Last edited:
Marty Sampson of the band Hillsong has recently renounced his Christian faith. It happens. However, his statement about this was shocking. Here is a man who was a "worship leader" for some twenty years. And this is what he has to say on leaving the faith:

Time for some real talk. I’m genuinely losing my faith, and it doesn’t bother me. Like, what bothers me now is nothing. I am so happy now, so at peace with the world. It’s crazy.

This is a soapbox moment so here I go … How many preachers fall? Many. No one talks about it. How many miracles happen. Not many. No one talks about it. Why is the Bible full of contradictions? No one talks about it. How can God be love yet send four billion people to a place, all ‘coz they don’t believe? No one talks about it. Christians can be the most judgmental people on the planet—they can also be some of the most beautiful and loving people. But it’s not for me.

I am not in any more. I want genuine truth. Not the “I just believe it” kind of truth. Science keeps piercing the truth of every religion. Lots of things help people change their lives, not just one version of God. Got so much more to say, but for me, I keeping it real. Unfollow if you want, I’ve never been about living my life for others.

All I know is what’s true to me right now, and Christianity just seems to me like another religion at this point. I could go on, but I won’t. Love and forgive absolutely. Be kind absolutely. Be generous and do good to others absolutely. Some things are good no matter what you believe. Let the rain fall, the sun will come up tomorrow.

Hillsong Songwriter Marty Sampson Says He’s Losing His Christian Faith | RELEVANT Magazine

He was upfront, leading Christian worship (!) for twenty years (!) and he could not wrap his head around why there were "no more miracles". To him the Bible is "full of contradictions". (How often did he study it?). Hell is a big one, I will grant him, but his understanding of it reads like every 17 year old sniveling atheist.

His entire post does not read like someone who was apparently not only in the faith for 20 years, but LEADING and CREATING songs of the faith for 20 years. Which is a whole 'nother topic about the inanity of modern Christian worship music, but I digress.

In closing this is what happens when the church becomes about tickling ears and not about teaching truth, even when it's uncomfortable.

Unfortunately, this is not going to get better.
Well I believe there is a Christian faith and there is a Republican Christian faith. They’re not the same thing. The Republican Christian faith is the faith of cruelty and hate and prejudice. And greed, don’t forget greed.

Nope
Just Like I Said It Was

I am not exactly sure what you are asking. I find the Bible to be very stimulating and intellectual. I find Christianity to be sad.

Here are the rules:
1. Be miserable.
2. Attend church.
3. Give money.
5. Cry uncontrollably when life sucks. The more your life sucks, the more holy you are. So strive for maximum misery.
6. Make good prayer requests. The more pitiful the situation the person is in, the more compassionate you appear.
7. When missing church, make sure you explain why you missed church before someone has a chance to say they missed you last Sunday.
9. When you don't understand something, never ask questions. NEVER!! This is known as heresy.

Yet, you still cash their paycheck at the end of the week... What does that say about you.

That I am a patient and gracious person for putting up with the nonsense. How much do you think this paycheck is?

Trust me. I know who their teacher will be if I leave. I am not ready to do that to these kids.

You don't have the luxury of reading posts from Mr. Vasuderatorrent's replacement.

You just need to calm down JoeB131. Everything is cool. I am a big boy. I got this.

Marty Sampson of the band Hillsong has recently renounced his Christian faith. It happens. However, his statement about this was shocking. Here is a man who was a "worship leader" for some twenty years. And this is what he has to say on leaving the faith:

Time for some real talk. I’m genuinely losing my faith, and it doesn’t bother me. Like, what bothers me now is nothing. I am so happy now, so at peace with the world. It’s crazy.

This is a soapbox moment so here I go … How many preachers fall? Many. No one talks about it. How many miracles happen. Not many. No one talks about it. Why is the Bible full of contradictions? No one talks about it. How can God be love yet send four billion people to a place, all ‘coz they don’t believe? No one talks about it. Christians can be the most judgmental people on the planet—they can also be some of the most beautiful and loving people. But it’s not for me.

I am not in any more. I want genuine truth. Not the “I just believe it” kind of truth. Science keeps piercing the truth of every religion. Lots of things help people change their lives, not just one version of God. Got so much more to say, but for me, I keeping it real. Unfollow if you want, I’ve never been about living my life for others.

All I know is what’s true to me right now, and Christianity just seems to me like another religion at this point. I could go on, but I won’t. Love and forgive absolutely. Be kind absolutely. Be generous and do good to others absolutely. Some things are good no matter what you believe. Let the rain fall, the sun will come up tomorrow.

Hillsong Songwriter Marty Sampson Says He’s Losing His Christian Faith | RELEVANT Magazine

He was upfront, leading Christian worship (!) for twenty years (!) and he could not wrap his head around why there were "no more miracles". To him the Bible is "full of contradictions". (How often did he study it?). Hell is a big one, I will grant him, but his understanding of it reads like every 17 year old sniveling atheist.

His entire post does not read like someone who was apparently not only in the faith for 20 years, but LEADING and CREATING songs of the faith for 20 years. Which is a whole 'nother topic about the inanity of modern Christian worship music, but I digress.

In closing this is what happens when the church becomes about tickling ears and not about teaching truth, even when it's uncomfortable.

Dear God in heaven, another fool who looks to science for truth and not God.

Well let's do a little Bible study, shall we Marty? In Genesis, God tells Adam and Eve not to eat from the tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. Had you ever considered why the tree it called a tree of knowledge and that such knowledge brought everyone death by choosing it over the wisdom of God? Had you ever considered what threatens our very lives today? How about WMD's for starters? How about climate change due to the knowledge of how to exploit fossil fuels? How about the threat of manufacturing genetically altered seeds for plants so they can reproduce, but the pollinate others so that they can't reproduce either. Science has brought us the prospect of plants that can now not reproduce with the threat of spreading them world wide, etc.

And what of up and coming advances with science and so called "truth"? What about AI? Ever seen the movie Terminator Marty? But there is no time to think about the ethics of producing a higher intelligence than our own that has zero empathy. No, we will just give this AI more and more power over our lives while feeding it information that human beings are destroying the planet and then find out later how it will respond to that little tid bit of information. No, we can't be concerned about the ethics surrounding it cuz it's all now an arms race with countries like China.

But alas, don't let us simple minded folk try and convince you that knowledge without wisdom brings death.

Carry on and enjoy that apple!

Nope
Just Like I Said It Was

Here are the rules:
1. Be miserable.
2. Attend church.
3. Give money.

That I am a patient and gracious person for putting up with the nonsense. How much do you think this paycheck is?

Trust me. I know who their teacher will be if I leave. I am not ready to do that to these kids.

You don't have the luxury of reading posts from Mr. Vasuderatorrent's replacement.

You just need to calm down JoeB131. Everything is cool. I am a big boy. I got this.
Everything is cool. I am a big boy. I got this.

rather than a correct interpretation of the 1st century being possible - you've now chosen atheism ... seems more a reaction to the christian fallacy than a quest for the truth.

Nope
Just Like I Said It Was

Here are the rules:
1. Be miserable.
2. Attend church.
3. Give money.

Everything is cool. I am a big boy. I got this.

rather than a correct interpretation of the 1st century being possible - you've now chosen atheism ... seems more a reaction to the christian fallacy than a quest for the truth.

Truth? Damn. You are special. Humans have been looking for truth for thousands of years and you have it? We are lucky you were born.

I am honored to have met you. You are not just one in 7 billion. You are more like one in 70 billion. Who knows how many humans have lived until now and you have been the magic one to find the truth. I think a congratulations is in order. I am thinking of getting you a card or something.

Well let's do a little Bible study, shall we Marty? In Genesis, God tells Adam and Eve not to eat from the tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. Had you ever considered why the tree it called a tree of knowledge and that such knowledge brought everyone death by choosing it over the wisdom of God? Had you ever considered what threatens our very lives today? How about WMD's for starters? How about climate change due to the knowledge of how to exploit fossil fuels? How about the threat of manufacturing genetically altered seeds for plants so they can reproduce, but the pollinate others so that they can't reproduce either. Science has brought us the prospect of plants that can now not reproduce with the threat of spreading them world wide, etc.

And what of up and coming advances with science and so called "truth"? What about AI? Ever seen the movie Terminator Marty? But there is no time to think about the ethics of producing a higher intelligence than our own that has zero empathy. No, we will just give this AI more and more power over our lives while feeding it information that human beings are destroying the planet and then find out later how it will respond to that little tid bit of information. No, we can't be concerned about the ethics surrounding it cuz it's all now an arms race with countries like China.

But alas, don't let us simple minded folk try and convince you that knowledge without wisdom brings death.

This is the theology I was taught. Us poor mountain folks gobbled it up.

Don't be smart. That is the devil's work. Let the preacher man control you please.

Don't be smart. That is the devil's work. Let the preacher man control you please.
So you're an admitted hillbilly. Good for you.

I grew up on Sand Mountain in Northeast Alabama. Look it up. Total hillbilly.

Sand Mountain Alabama is the actual location of the infamous snake handling church in the 1990's.

New Topics

Forum List

Back