Notable Christian Musician "Loses His Faith"

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by SweetSue92, Aug 17, 2019.

1. SweetSue92

SweetSue92 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,211
    Marty Sampson of the band Hillsong has recently renounced his Christian faith. It happens. However, his statement about this was shocking. Here is a man who was a "worship leader" for some twenty years. And this is what he has to say on leaving the faith:

Time for some real talk. I’m genuinely losing my faith, and it doesn’t bother me. Like, what bothers me now is nothing. I am so happy now, so at peace with the world. It’s crazy.

This is a soapbox moment so here I go … How many preachers fall? Many. No one talks about it. How many miracles happen. Not many. No one talks about it. Why is the Bible full of contradictions? No one talks about it. How can God be love yet send four billion people to a place, all ‘coz they don’t believe? No one talks about it. Christians can be the most judgmental people on the planet—they can also be some of the most beautiful and loving people. But it’s not for me.

I am not in any more. I want genuine truth. Not the “I just believe it” kind of truth. Science keeps piercing the truth of every religion. Lots of things help people change their lives, not just one version of God. Got so much more to say, but for me, I keeping it real. Unfollow if you want, I’ve never been about living my life for others.

All I know is what’s true to me right now, and Christianity just seems to me like another religion at this point. I could go on, but I won’t. Love and forgive absolutely. Be kind absolutely. Be generous and do good to others absolutely. Some things are good no matter what you believe. Let the rain fall, the sun will come up tomorrow.

Hillsong Songwriter Marty Sampson Says He’s Losing His Christian Faith | RELEVANT Magazine

He was upfront, leading Christian worship (!) for twenty years (!) and he could not wrap his head around why there were "no more miracles". To him the Bible is "full of contradictions". (How often did he study it?). Hell is a big one, I will grant him, but his understanding of it reads like every 17 year old sniveling atheist.

His entire post does not read like someone who was apparently not only in the faith for 20 years, but LEADING and CREATING songs of the faith for 20 years. Which is a whole 'nother topic about the inanity of modern Christian worship music, but I digress.

In closing this is what happens when the church becomes about tickling ears and not about teaching truth, even when it's uncomfortable.

Unfortunately, this is not going to get better.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Compost

Compost Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,921
    Sad. He had the Truth. Now he seeks "genuine truth" in the world.

3. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28,853
    Wow, Sour Sue, you think his problem was that he was involved in the show-biz edge of big religion? Really?

Frankly, what he said made a lot of sense... even if it messes up your sensibilities.

Why does God send otherwise good people to hell because they had the bad luck to be born in a place where they don't worship Jesus?

That makes him sound like a prick, really.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SweetSue92

SweetSue92 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,211
    Well...I might say he was close to the Truth but did he ever really have it? It would seem to me that in all those years, he never really got it at all. Tragically.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. cnm

cnm Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +42,288
    Perhaps at last he has.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28,853
    Or maybe he just engaged his brain, something most of you Xians don't do.

Here's the real problem. The whole idea of religion is NOT to think about it. It's to sit obediently in Church or Sunday School and have someone who can't hold down a real job tell you what to think.

And if he turns out to be an adulterer or a kiddy-diddler, well that's not God's fault.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  7. hjmick

hjmick Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,405
    Good for him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. SweetSue92

SweetSue92 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,211
    Based on your signature you would be unable to be objective at any rate.

• Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1
  9. shockedcanadian

shockedcanadian Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,929
    There are plenty of reasons I was an Atheist. Just as many, maybe more than drew me to religion, even in the most trying of circumstances facing off against the most Ungodly of people.

I look at it this way, there is an Almighty Being. I follow Jesus while having a peripheral understanding of other religions. He can ask all the questions he wants of science, but the big one will be "why is there life at all? What is the meaning of life"?

It's difficult for any belief system to answer. It keeps us coming back to God in some form or another.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. SweetSue92

SweetSue92 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,211
    Well. I'm not faulting him so much as I am us, the church, whatever oversight he should have had, I guess.

These are not the questions of a mature believer. These are the questions of a baby believer. And I'm not trying to insinuate that we don't all have valleys and mountaintops, we do. But to be a leader in the faith, in a position of leadership, and not have these basic questions figured out....

We have to do better.

And as I said before....or hinted at....this explains to me why so many modern Christian praise songs seem rather empty. Maybe this is what's behind them. Not much of anything, really.