Need to bring back the draft

even though we arentfightinganybody

Ask just about anyone in the military right now...they would much rather fight next to someone that wants to be there than someone that was forced to go! You have to know who you can count on, especially where they're at now!

You don't think they're fighting in Afghanistan or Iraq????? What do you think they're doing?

The jack ass probably thinks the troops are selling girl scout cookies and doing blood drives.

All Volunteer has increased quality dramatically. You have people who are committed and competent rather than angry and dumb.

The big problem is we are seeing social segregation between those who have been in, and those who have not. The have nots are clueless and the haves are full of contempt.

Countries that have the draft now draft for reasons other than military competence. Spain does not permit volunteer, and they make a point of mixing folks up throughout the regions, for example. The goal is social cohesion rather than military. Who is spain going to fight? France?

I don't hold those that have not served in contempt, not all. I take great pride in what I had done while serving.

contempt comes from dealing with people that have no idea on how things work, telling me how things should work.

even though we arentfightinganybody

Ask just about anyone in the military right now...they would much rather fight next to someone that wants to be there than someone that was forced to go! You have to know who you can count on, especially where they're at now!

You don't think they're fighting in Afghanistan or Iraq????? What do you think they're doing?

The jack ass probably thinks the troops are selling girl scout cookies and doing blood drives.

TheyTaliban etc are bums that dont wear uniforms , or even allow Red Cross visits like the Germans allowed in theirPOW camps in WW2. (niether did the Japs in WW2 allow Red Cross visits for that matter)

200 lb POWs left Jap camps at under 100 lbs if they survived ...

Last edited:

TheyTaliban etc are bums that dont wear uniforms , or even allow Red Cross visits like the Germans allowed in theirPOW camps in WW2. (niether did the Japs in WW2 allow Red Cross visits for that matter)

200 lb POWs left Jap camps at under 100 lbs if they lived at all.........................................

A Taliban would make you his bitch in 2 seconds.

I was a member of the volunteer military, and I would be curious to know why you feel that way.

nothing wrong with giving you country two years , it gives you a sense of earning your rights , not just being born into it .

but this time let it be fair , no deferments not for school or any reason , men and women , both make good soldiers , rich or poor , no deferment ,

some of use gave 3 by joining for three ,or 4 for marines , but thats because they think it the same contract .

in fact right at graduation put a table , two choices , military or peace corp.

then back them , both in and out of service .

oh ya close the Canadian borders

Last edited:
the most important reason the draft is a bad idea is the most important position for the soldier is who takes care of his six.

He is twice as effective if the person covering that is someone he can trust. With a volunteer force, he can feel confident. with a conscript force, he has to worry.

No draft. Our military is very capable right now-there's simply no need for a draft. I've spoken to one person who's served in the military who's told me that they'd rather have a draftee next to them in battle, than someone who volunteered.

I think military service is a calling-some people get it-and they ALL have my respect, some people don't-and that's ok too. There's nothing wrong with those who get it-and there's nothing wrong with those who don't. There are other great ways to serve your country (not knocking military service here).

The military shouldn't be watered down (for lack of a better term) with draftees.

the most important reason the draft is a bad idea is the most important position for the soldier is who takes care of his six.

He is twice as effective if the person covering that is someone he can trust. With a volunteer force, he can feel confident. with a conscript force, he has to worry.

thats a slam on draftees , and unfounded .

No it is not a slam on draftees.

I was drafted and served during the Vietnam War.

Most of us draftees were not really dedicated to the situation that was foisted upon us.

We just wanted to complete our two years and go back home to our normal lives.

So doing the minimum of any task was the norm.

Whereas volunteer soldiers are dedicated and want to do the maximum to accomplish the mission.

So in essence a volunteer army is far superior to a conscript army.

I don't think we should reinstate the draft.

We should, however, require military service for a short period of time for all young Americans - male and female.

2 years service - Mandatory - would be reasonable.

Perhaps it would teach some (who don't have it) an appreciation for their country.

No it is not a slam on draftees.

I was drafted and served during the Vietnam War.

Most of us draftees were not really dedicated to the situation that was foisted upon us.

We just wanted to complete our two years and go back home to our normal lives.

So doing the minimum of any task was the norm.

Whereas volunteer soldiers are dedicated and want to do the maximum to accomplish the mission.

So in essence a volunteer army is far superior to a conscript army.

really ?
we were all volunteer or as you mite say enlistees .
so no experience with draftees ,

I don't think we should reinstate the draft.

We should, however, require military service for a short period of time for all young Americans - male and female.

2 years service - Mandatory - would be reasonable.

Perhaps it would teach some (who don't have it) an appreciation for their country.

That doesn't work well either...I worked with a couple of conscript armies (former Soviet republics) in the late 90's and mandatory military service is not a good thing. They needed 2 officers per platoon, because they couldn't trust NCO's, who were mostly just top of their basic training class. The amount of officer control needed for mandatory service is great, and it makes the troops incapable of independent judgement.

Fighting ability was fine...flexibility and adaptability were nil.

The American soldier is a very independent thinker and even more so among the draftees during Vietnam.

I remember one time they assembled us and told us about a mission that we were going to go on.

We all knew that was idiotic and futile to do it.

So we all started chanting, "we ain't going".

The officers and NCOs freaked out and drew off to the side and had a quick meeting.

They came back in a few minutes and told us that the Mission had been canceled.

That was the last that we ever heard of the incident.

In reality it was mutiny but would never would happen with our all volunteer army today.

Because of something like that happened today the mutineers would be sent to Leavenworth prison.

Last edited:
The American soldier is a very independent thinker and even more so among the draftees during Vietnam.

I remember one time they assembled us and told us about a mission that we were going to go on.

The officers and NCOs freaked out and drew off to the side and had a quick meeting.

In reality it was mutiny but would never would happen with our all volunteer army today.

Because of something like that happened today the mutineers would be sent to Leavenworth prison.

Well that is true in some cases but it totally depends on the situation, I know in Iraq a few Soldiers refused to go on a mission because their humvees were not properly armored, it leaked out to the press but none of the Soldiers were sent to prison for it.

Volunteer military is a last alternative for too many volunteers.

Beats flipping burgers at McDs.

Problem with Nam was incompetence at-the-top...... not the draftees.

Last edited:
I sweated the process out....

Hate the volunteer military -always have -always will.......................................

I get FTA but why the volunteer ? your not dragged into it , only lied to by recruiters ,

doesn't make sense ,
how do you feel about an all conscript military ?

if was the hole group they couldn't do anything about , if it were one man his ass would done .

volunteers were not all that better , lieutenants were frag for stupid ideas .

Forum List

Back