Need to bring back the draft

Discussion in 'Military' started by ginscpy, Oct 26, 2010.

1. ginscpy

ginscpy Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +216
    will probably be watered -down.

But big-shots like Ali and Elvis had to contend with military conscription.

Fucking have hated the vol military since day 1.

I was born in 1953.

2. Revere

Revere BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +415
    Actually, Elvis served, Ali dodged.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. ginscpy

ginscpy Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +216
    As long as they are held accountable - don't care.

Ali was not a coward.

4. Revere

Revere BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +415
    It's not a draft if you get to dodge, then walk away like nothing happened.

5. Father Time

Father Time I'll be Still Alive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +438
    Nothing says American freedom like forced labor.

6. Toome

Toome Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +259
    Volunteer militaries are highly motivated, highly skilled and very lethal.

I'd rather have the soldier next to me be someone who volunteered to be there rather than someone who was compelled to be there by law.

Vietnam was a sneak peek of what 21st century warfare would be like. It was viewed as an anomaly, unconventional and atypical of modern warfare. All the generals, admirals and other so-called experts thought the war of the future would be fought at the Fulda Gap between two superpowers with multi-dimensional forces from the air, land and sea. That war never happened.

The pattern has been consistent with Vietnam: Grenada, Haiti, Somalia, Kuwait, Iraq, Afghanistan and a dozen combat actions that the public isn't even aware ever took place. you can't fight this type of warfare with draftees. You need motivated warriors who are mission-oriented and willing to think outside the box to achieve results.

The bigger issue isn't the nature of warfighting forces. The issue is when and why an administration sends troops into harm's way and the overall political objectives it wants the military to achieve.

Special operations IS the future of warfare. John F. Kennedy knew that, Ronald Reagan understood it, and George W. Bush knew it as well. The problem is within the walls of the Pentagon. But with people like Pete Schoomacker, Henry Shelton and Dick Cody being posted to senior positions, there's hope that the Pentagon will eventually pull its collective head out of its ass and get on board. It's a classic struggle between straight-leg infantry types and snake eaters.

7. Midnight Marauder

Midnight Marauder BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,876
    That would be the real and only reason why those who call for a draft to be re-instated, want a draft reinstated.

Regardless of what they say the reason is.

8. Mr Clean

Mr Clean Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,813
    Isn't it ironic that the only war in modern history that needed to be fought was fought and won by a largely drafted Army.

9. pinqy

pinqy Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,006
    I've been in the army, active and reserves, for 22 years. I've also worked with Uzbek and Russian soldiers...conscript armies. We don't need that at all. Working with the Uzbeks, they had 2 officers for a platoon, while the US has one. Their NCOs are not experienced soldiers, but only top of their class in basic and have no intitiative or leadership abilities. Unless there was an officer directly present, the NCOs would not direct their soldiers to do anything. That would never happen in the US volunteer army.

And soldiering has gotten more complicated since the days of shove a musket in the guy's hands and put him in line. We need more independence and confidence and you can't reliabley get that from a conscript...most just want to do their time and get out. We have had remarkble and skilled soldiers from drafts, but volunteers are far more reliable and far more likely to be professionals.

10. SFC Ollie

SFC Ollie Still Marching

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
    You may draft all you want for some civilian service. While I believe that military service would help many people learn a trade and instill a sense of pride in themselves, and I believe that a draft would reduce criminal activity.

I really wouldn't want those draftees to be serving in the active military. Our military is doing just fine without it. Don't need it and the country really doesn't want it.