Need Advice

Cain

Air Force DEP
Nov 14, 2010
Tennessee
My parents are pretty much forcing me to take a laptop they are going to buy me for Christmas, and they told me to find out what I want so here is my questions:

I need a computer that is fast with internet, and can hold stuff.
I need a computer that can play games and is good with internet.
I do not care about webcam.

Their price range is 0.00$ to 600.00$.

I am looking for a good computer that runs fast, and has good internet service ability. Also, will probably use this during college later on, and stuff.

My parents are pretty much forcing me to take a laptop they are going to buy me for Christmas, and they told me to find out what I want so here is my questions:

I am looking for a good computer that runs fast, and has good internet service ability. Also, will probably use this during college later on, and stuff.

My advise is to turn your parents in for child abuse and move to Somalia, where life is much better. ;)

My advise is to turn your parents in for child abuse and move to Somalia, where life is much better. ;)

lol, comedian I see ;).

Nah, see, I really begged for a rifle this year, but they told me I can buy that once I get into the service (after bmt/tech school of course) and then they told me I need a laptop to email them to tell them I am ok, especially once I get on a combat tour.

All the major producers make a laptop in this price range, but it'd be their entry level unit. I don't play games, and so I can't advise, but I suspect the CPUs etc. in such models will not be satisfactory for your needs.

May I suggest you get a job and save another $400 to $600? Pool that with the parental cash and you'll likely be happier with what you've bought.

All the major producers make a laptop in this price range, but it'd be their entry level unit. I don't play games, and so I can't advise, but I suspect the CPUs etc. in such models will not be satisfactory for your needs.

May I suggest you get a job and save another $400 to $600? Pool that with the parental cash and you'll likely be happier with what you've bought.

I have a job [multiple if you take all into consideration], that is part of where the parents 600$ come from. Plus, I can't get a job in the city when I am already in advanced classes at hs, doing work for the AF DEP, Boxing, Weight Lifting, and on top of that, my dad is having us do a winter garden project that he read about. (Live on a farm)

lol, comedian I see ;).

Nah, see, I really begged for a rifle this year, but they told me I can buy that once I get into the service (after bmt/tech school of course) and then they told me I need a laptop to email them to tell them I am ok, especially once I get on a combat tour.

May the Lord bless you, and keep you safe from all calamities during your service to our nation, for which we all thank you.

lol, comedian I see ;).

May the Lord bless you, and keep you safe from all calamities during your service to our nation, for which we all thank you.

Thank you Middleman, and I really appreciate it.

I have a job [multiple if you take all into consideration], that is part of where the parents 600$ come from. Plus, I can't get a job in the city when I am already in advanced classes at hs, doing work for the AF DEP, Boxing, Weight Lifting, and on top of that, my dad is having us do a winter garden project that he read about. (Live on a farm)

Aw Cain, bless your heart. My apologies. I dunno what to advise.....I suppose later on, you'll be able to modify the unit but as a rule, such things are not cost effective.

Aw Cain, bless your heart. My apologies. I dunno what to advise.....I suppose later on, you'll be able to modify the unit but as a rule, such things are not cost effective.

Well, I just wanted to play games that where very old or very simple like text-based. I am not expecting a great laptop, just a simple computer that I can check email/play text-based games on. Really, just a basic computer.

Thanks for the ideas though Madeline.

lol, comedian I see ;).

A word on deploying with a computer: Bear in mind your living conditions. You're going to be sharing quarters no matter where you go. Some locations still live in tents. Tents are dusty and hot and are notoriously hard to secure against people walking by who want to take things that don't belong to them.

Further, if you're deployed to an AF base and want to connect it to the local network so you can get internet access, the local Network Control Center will wipe the hard drive and install the standard AF software configuration. This is to prevent malware being introduced onto the network and makes sure all software on the network has the latest security patches. You won't be allowed to install any software that hasn't been AF-approved. They may disable your USB ports, too, so you can't connect MP3 players, geek sticks, and cameras...more potential sources of malware. If you go ahead, your network connection will be wired -- no wireless hotspots. Why give the enemy that opportunity to gain access?

Given the number of morale tents with 'puters and net access, and movie tents to watch movies, I'd be very hesitant to take a laptop with me. It's up to you, though.

lol, comedian I see ;).

A word on deploying with a computer: Bear in mind your living conditions. You're going to be sharing quarters no matter where you go. Some locations still live in tents. Tents are dusty and hot and are notoriously hard to secure against people walking by who want to take things that don't belong to them.

Further, if you're deployed to an AF base and want to connect it to the local network so you can get internet access, the local Network Control Center will wipe the hard drive and install the standard AF software configuration. This is to prevent malware being introduced onto the network and makes sure all software on the network has the latest security patches. You won't be allowed to install any software that hasn't been AF-approved. They may disable your USB ports, too, so you can't connect MP3 players, geek sticks, and cameras...more potential sources of malware. If you go ahead, your network connection will be wired -- no wireless hotspots. Why give the enemy that opportunity to gain access?

Given the number of morale tents with 'puters and net access, and movie tents to watch movies, I'd be very hesitant to take a laptop with me. It's up to you, though.

Wow, well hmm. I guess I'd ask before I go just to make sure. I do not know if I would want to take anything more then what I could carry in a duffel bag tbh.

Thanks for the information Daveman.

You know what's funny though? The AF BackPack you get after joining the DEP has a spot for the Laptop lol, it's a really nice backpack and it was free, but I'll tell you what, you cannot destroy it. I have to carry about 7 books with me everywhere and it hasn't ripped or anything.

lol, comedian I see ;).

Wow, well hmm. I guess I'd ask before I go just to make sure. I do not know if I would want to take anything more then what I could carry in a duffel bag tbh.

*tips hat*
You know what's funny though? The AF BackPack you get after joining the DEP has a spot for the Laptop lol, it's a really nice backpack and it was free, but I'll tell you what, you cannot destroy it. I have to carry about 7 books with me everywhere and it hasn't ripped or anything.
Yeah, we buy good gear. No point in wasting money on crap. My old ALICE pack probably has a million miles on it, between all the other guys who carried it and now me...and it's still in great shape. Can't hardly kill 'em. :tongue:

*tips hat*
Yeah, we buy good gear. No point in wasting money on crap. My old ALICE pack probably has a million miles on it, between all the other guys who carried it and now me...and it's still in great shape. Can't hardly kill 'em. :tongue:

Yep, I love that thing, I am going to keep it forever.

*tips hat*

Yep, I love that thing, I am going to keep it forever.
It should last forever, too. :)

lol, comedian I see ;).

You make some good points, about the problems and the availability of computer access in the Rec areas.... but.... most of the guys I know all have laptops with them. I know my bros do when they deploy.

Also, Cain, if you do take a laptop downrange, you'll have to pay for internet access - and there is no guarantee you'll get it... and.... if you do get it... you may lose your connection every few mins! Friend of mine has to stand up to find a signal :lol::lol: Another friend can get access on his side of the tent but his buddies can't get it on the other side.... hence, they all crowd around on one side. Tough life on deployment.

lol, comedian I see ;).

You make some good points, about the problems and the availability of computer access in the Rec areas.... but.... most of the guys I know all have laptops with them. I know my bros do when they deploy.

Also, Cain, if you do take a laptop downrange, you'll have to pay for internet access - and there is no guarantee you'll get it... and.... if you do get it... you may lose your connection every few mins! Friend of mine has to stand up to find a signal :lol::lol: Another friend can get access on his side of the tent but his buddies can't get it on the other side.... hence, they all crowd around on one side. Tough life on deployment.
Well, I don't know how the other branches handle laptops. Just reporting what I know. :)

Well, I don't know how the other branches handle laptops. Just reporting what I know. :)

It's very much 'luck of the draw'... I know lots of guys do take laptops... easier than getting in line to get 30 mins on the computers in the Rec. But... access is very hinky at most places... particularly the smaller FOBs.

It's very much 'luck of the draw'... I know lots of guys do take laptops... easier than getting in line to get 30 mins on the computers in the Rec. But... access is very hinky at most places... particularly the smaller FOBs.
Yep. Some of those guys have trouble getting air conditioners. :cool:

Forum List

Back