Need Advice

Toshiba Satellite.

Freaking awesome. It's what I use. Picked up an older refurbished model with 14" display for $200 through eBay. Basically we just use it as a web machine, but it will play games such as Civ III and Civ IV with no problem. Integrated wireless antenna and card (although maybe most of laptops have that now)

So for $600 you should be able to get a damn good version.

Toshiba Satellite.

Freaking awesome. It's what I use. Picked up an older refurbished model with 14" display for $200 through eBay. Basically we just use it as a web machine, but it will play games such as Civ III and Civ IV with no problem. Integrated wireless antenna and card (although maybe most of laptops have that now)

I'm on my third Toshiba Sat. in the last decade and only because I like to upgrade , they are damn good laptops, I actually still have all 3. And I can't remember the last laptop I seen that didn't have integrated wifi.

Correction. Fourth, because we just bought my dad one for his business. Can't even fix cars anymore without being able to get online.

Toshiba Satellite.

I'm on my third Toshiba Sat. in the last decade and only because I like to upgrade , they are damn good laptops, I actually still have all 3. And I can't remember the last laptop I seen that didn't have integrated wifi.

Correction. Fourth, because we just bought my dad one for his business. Can't even fix cars anymore without being able to get online.

This is the first laptop we've owned. But we're really impressed. Obviously there are stronger and better versions out there, but "bang for the buck", we are very happy.

This one is 3 years old, so I imagine that they all do have integrated wifi now. When we were shopping around though, they didn't.

Toshiba Satellite.

This is the first laptop we've owned. But we're really impressed. Obviously there are stronger and better versions out there, but "bang for the buck", we are very happy.

This one is 3 years old, so I imagine that they all do have integrated wifi now. When we were shopping around though, they didn't.

It's all in what you need. We bought the cheapest Toshiba Best Buy had for my dad, $399. It's all he needs though. He's 58 and had never even turned on a computer until a few months ago. But like I said these new cars are so computerized that you have to have one, so he asked my advice and we picked one out that can do what he needs but isn't overwhelming to him, or does things he doesn't even need to do.

I have one of their mid tier ones, and am MORE than satisfied with it, I don't buy the top line ones simply b/c I get bored with them after 3 years or so and want to upgrade, so why invest $1500 or so ?

Well, I am hoping to get one for about 600$, any recommendations on a specific Toshiba?

Well, I don't know how the other branches handle laptops. Just reporting what I know. :)

It's very much 'luck of the draw'... I know lots of guys do take laptops... easier than getting in line to get 30 mins on the computers in the Rec. But... access is very hinky at most places... particularly the smaller FOBs.
Yep. Some of those guys have trouble getting air conditioners. :cool:

I know! I hear every damned detail of their lives! :lol: Man, can the US Army bitch or what? :lol: Marines, not so much. They think having a rack is luxury! :lol:

If I were Cain, I'd be happy with a cheap laptop if he's gonna take it on deployments - not worth taking anything too expensive. Stuff gets beat up and stolen and shit so a nice cheap one is sensible.

It's very much 'luck of the draw'... I know lots of guys do take laptops... easier than getting in line to get 30 mins on the computers in the Rec. But... access is very hinky at most places... particularly the smaller FOBs.
Yep. Some of those guys have trouble getting air conditioners. :cool:

I know! I hear every damned detail of their lives! :lol: Man, can the US Army bitch or what? :lol: Marines, not so much. They think having a rack is luxury! :lol:
They got nothin' on Zoomies...we likes our comforts, we does. :lol:

Take a laptop if you're deployed. It was the only way my son could stay in touch with us - we just never made any references to where he was, what he was doing, etc.

Well, I am hoping to get one for about 600$, any recommendations on a specific Toshiba?

It really does depend on what you want to use it for. Forget online gaming if you're deployed... so not gonna happen. Even when you get access, it'll keep dying on ya. My advice.... download music and movies and shit before you go.... cuz downloading it when you're downrange is very hit and miss. Just get a decent machine with as much memory as you can find and don't get too attached it it... it'll probably get broken, or get sand in it, or someone will 'borrow' it.

When it comes to Toshiba Satellite's, if you have $600, just get the one that comes closest to that in price and makes you happy with screen size.

Here's a good one, refurbished HP DV7, a pretty decent multi-media machine. Duo-core AMD Turon chipset with dedicated graphics and a 500 GB hard drive plus almost all the bells and whistles with a 17.3" screen.

HP Pavilion dv7-3100 dv7-3160us WA793UAR Notebook - Turion II Ultra M620 2.5GHz - 17.3" - Black - Refurbished - WA793UAR#ABA - 662876 | pcRUSH.com

I am NOT an HP fan. Just something about them.I guess I've just always had such good luck with Toshibas that I look down my nose at any other brand.

I have helped many neighbors and friends and the Dell Inspiron fits most people's needs and price range. Memory is key 3-4 GB min. Drive space today only matters if have lots of music and pictures. Windows 7 is a great improvement but for a cheap and interesting experience try Ubuntu, comes with all the apps you'll ever need free (do donate though) and can be loaded on top of Windows OS.

Inspiron 15R Laptop Details | Dell

http://www.unionbuiltpc.com/aboutus.php
https://unionbuiltpc.com/netbook_ubu100.php

Last edited:
My parents are pretty much forcing me to take a laptop they are going to buy me for Christmas, and they told me to find out what I want so here is my questions:

I need a computer that is fast with internet, and can hold stuff.
I need a computer that can play games and is good with internet.
I do not care about webcam.

Their price range is 0.00$ to 600.00$.

I am looking for a good computer that runs fast, and has good internet service ability. Also, will probably use this during college later on, and stuff.

"Their price range is 0.00$ to 600.00$."

:eusa_eh:

:lol::lol::lol:

Find one for $700.00

:cool:

I have helped many neighbors and friends and the Dell Inspiron fits most people's needs and price range. Memory is key 3-4 GB min. Drive space today only matters if have lots of music and pictures. Windows 7 is a great improvement but for a cheap and interesting experience try Ubuntu, comes with all the apps you'll ever need free (do donate though) and can be loaded on top of Windows OS.

UNION BUILT PC - servers, desktops, training, software and web development

Looking at them, I really like Dell to be honest, I am comparing your recommended against the Toshiba I found. Either way I plan to buy a newer graphics card unless the one it comes with is really good, but if not, I am looking at GeForce like my old 9400x was.

My parents are pretty much forcing me to take a laptop they are going to buy me for Christmas, and they told me to find out what I want so here is my questions:

I am looking for a good computer that runs fast, and has good internet service ability. Also, will probably use this during college later on, and stuff.

Find one for $700.00

I say 0.00 cause I am used to saying zero to whatever max is, sorry lol. I am helping pay for this, I just know that their willing to do about 2/3 of it, so if I can do 200$ it'd be around 600$. I could probably talk them to 700$ but I feel bad enough getting a laptop from them.

UNION BUILT PC - servers, desktops, training, software and web development

Looking at them, I really like Dell to be honest, I am comparing your recommended against the Toshiba I found. Either way I plan to buy a newer graphics card unless the one it comes with is really good, but if not, I am looking at GeForce like my old 9400x was.

Find one for $700.00

I say 0.00 cause I am used to saying zero to whatever max is, sorry lol. I am helping pay for this, I just know that their willing to do about 2/3 of it, so if I can do 200$ it'd be around 600$. I could probably talk them to 700$ but I feel bad enough getting a laptop from them.

MOST laptops , in fact I can't think of any that do, do NOT offer dedicated graphics cards, they aren't expandable in that fashion.

Cain I don't know about the laptop thing, but I have an unrelated piece of advice for you.

When you get to Basic, especially since you're in DEP and you're going to have the advantage over a lot of other trainees in your knowledge of marching, discipline, etc...

Don't fucking volunteer for ANYTHING.

Not Dorm Leader (house mouse), not guidon bearer, not the leader of your details crew, NOTHING.

Unless you want to be tortured your entire time there.

Forum List

Back