My home PC.

Grumpyolman

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2018
San Diego
I started playing PC games in about 1996 with a "fast" :lol: Pentium processor and a Voodoo 1 graphics card. Tomb Raider and Quake were awesome.
I never stopped playing. I've built several gaming PCs since then.
This current one is an ancient (in computer years) I5 7600K overclockrd to 4.8Ghz, 32 gigs DDR4 overclocked to 3800 Mhz and an Nvidia 3060TI video card.
Does anyone here understand the above?
:lol:

I started playing PC games in about 1996 with a "fast" :lol: Pentium processor and a Voodoo 1 graphics card. Tomb Raider and Quake were awesome.
This current one is an ancient (in computer years) I5 7600K overclockrd to 4.8Ghz, 32 gigs DDR4 overclocked to 3800 Mhz and an Nvidia 3060TI video card.
Yes, I (sadly?) understand the above. Though I haven't played video games for many years. Chess is my only game I've played and sometimes slither.io.

I still have a 1 gig video Nvdia card that I bought 13-14 years ago maybe. It is probably worth more now due to AI than it was then, though I'm not sure many current motherboards have the proper slots. Probably DDR first or second generation.

That's a bit later than my Evel Knievel game on my TRS-80.

You would input the motorcycle speed, the angle of the ramps, the total weight, the number of busses he's jumping, the wind speed etc, etc,,,

Then the game would calculate and estimate how many bones Evel Knievel broke this time.

You would input the motorcycle speed, the angle of the ramps, the total weight, the number of busses he's jumping, the wind speed etc, etc,,,

Then the game would calculate and estimate how many bones Evel Knievel broke this time.
Was that the Texas instrument computer that was out about the time of the one that used cassette tapes for storage?

Was that the Texas instrument computer that was out about the time of the one that used cassette tapes for storage
Tandy/Radio Shack

And it was very expensive. And trying to use cassette tapes for storage was a pain in the ass. It was slow as hell and most of the time it would fail.

It cost over $500 to upgrade it from 4k RAM to 16k RAM.

No mouse, but it did have a really nice mechanical keyboard. :)

And if IIRC the Z-80 chip was used on the Apollo trip to the moon.

Last edited:

That was far a bit more advanced than my first computer and game. In 1969 I built my first computer. it was a Southwest Tech 6800. Building a computer in those days was far different than today. I purchase my 6800 for $499. I received a motherboard , a power supply, a box of integrated circuits, and other components, plus two pages of instruction. I soldered the components on the mother board, over 150 solder connections. After construction, I was able to enter some instructions via toggle switches that flashed lights. That's really all it would do. After I added a 2K memory board, a cassette tape recorder a TV, and a little key board it became a real gaming machine.

I had a couple of friends over and we gather around the TV. After flipping a bunch of switches, loading a crude operating system, and then loading basic and then my game from the cassette player, we settled down for an exciting evening of Tic Tac Toe.

Forum List

Back