Need Advice

Oh, dude...

One more huge piece of advice for you..

You are obviously gung ho about this AF thing..

Do yourself a HUGE favor. DO NOT show up to Basic and get off that bus wearing any Air Force attire. No t-shirts, no hats, NOTHING.

Others will. And at that point you will then see why I told you this :thup:

lol gung ho, sorry, just I am usually the more passive in our DEP.

Yea, I was told that for the Army Basic, and I assume it's the same for AF. I am pretty educated, I have a uncle who was a Drill Seargent in the US Army, and another who was a Jumpmaster for the 101st during ww2, both have given me advice every family gathering, and we have around 6 family gatherings per year lol.

Oh, dude...

Do yourself a HUGE favor. DO NOT show up to Basic and get off that bus wearing any Air Force attire. No t-shirts, no hats, NOTHING.

One other bit of advice. Well this sort of relates to never volunteering, when the DI asks if anyone has any hand to hand combat training keep your mouth shut, even if you're a fucking ninja, the DI is just looking for someone's ass to kick to make a point, and you can guarantee some dumb shit will volunteer thinking they are going to get to hi a DI.

Also, enjoy the duck walk.

Oh, dude...

Yea, I was told that for the Army Basic, and I assume it's the same for AF. I am pretty educated, I have a uncle who was a Drill Seargent in the US Army, and another who was a Jumpmaster for the 101st during ww2, both have given me advice every family gathering, and we have around 6 family gatherings per year lol.

I was always a bit annoyed with the wiseacres who would always deride other services: The Airforce had a rep for being a bunch of Candy-Asses that melt outside the confines of airconditioning (Army POV, not mine).

How do they treat your AF aspirations opposed to Army.

My guess is that they're at least happy you don't want to be a sailor, or heaven forbid, a Jarhead.

Oh, dude...

I was always a bit annoyed with the wiseacres who would always deride other services: The Airforce had a rep for being a bunch of Candy-Asses that melt outside the confines of airconditioning (Army POV, not mine).

My guess is that they're at least happy you don't want to be a sailor, or heaven forbid, a Jarhead.

The uncle who was a Drill Sergeant says I did the smart choice, the other one says the military isn't the same, and that I wouldn't have been able to do all the qualified jumps he did (he did over 100 but I do not trust his gloats 100%).

The uncle who was a Drill Sergeant says I did the smart choice, the other one says the military isn't the same, and that I wouldn't have been able to do all the qualified jumps he did (he did over 100 but I do not trust his gloats 100%).

Well, for what its worth, I too think you made the smart choice.

Oh, dude...

One other bit of advice. Well this sort of relates to never volunteering, when the DI asks if anyone has any hand to hand combat training keep your mouth shut, even if you're a fucking ninja, the DI is just looking for someone's ass to kick to make a point, and you can guarantee some dumb shit will volunteer thinking they are going to get to hi a DI.

Honestly, I'd like to try, I know the odds of me winning are astronomical, but their is always a chance, plus, I'd just love to be able to get KO'd by a TI for a story lol.

Also, you do the duck walk at MEPS and I can do it pretty well I might add ;). We had 1 DEP'er who was so clueless in that, he got screamed at multiple times and back-talked one of our doctors, and he got yelled at so much, it was hilarious, he failed to do the twist like 3-4x, finally he got it, but we all looked at him and where just like "wow" cause I mean, he just couldn't compute the "turn" order. We did that in our undees (I had on Irish Boxers, yea...) and 1 guy had on a speedo, and let's just say, I thought he had a pet with him...

Thanks, it's worth a pretty good amount Samson. The other options I was looking at were: US Army 82nd All Americans, or the IDF.

What the AF is good for is high quality technological training, with probably the best conversion to civilian workforce. They're not looking for warriors, they're looking for brains.

It's the reason they have the highest score standard on the ASVAB for enlisting.

You go in and learn a lot of really useful technical shit, go to college, and see the country and the world for a little while.

It gets an unfair shake because it's not considered the "tough" branch. I say fuck that. You enlisted in the fucking US military. It doesn't get much tougher than that dude.

Enjoy it for all it's worth.

Oh, dude...

Honestly, I'd like to try, I know the odds of me winning are astronomical, but their is always a chance, plus, I'd just love to be able to get KO'd by a TI for a story lol.

Also, you do the duck walk at MEPS and I can do it pretty well I might add ;). We had 1 DEP'er who was so clueless in that, he got screamed at multiple times and back-talked one of our doctors, and he got yelled at so much, it was hilarious, he failed to do the twist like 3-4x, finally he got it, but we all looked at him and where just like "wow" cause I mean, he just couldn't compute the "turn" order. We did that in our undees (I had on Irish Boxers, yea...) and 1 guy had on a speedo, and let's just say, I thought he had a pet with him...

Thanks, it's worth a pretty good amount Samson. The other options I was looking at were: US Army 82nd All Americans, or the IDF.

Hell, IMHO ANYONE should try getting into AFSCs included in the 3D- Cyberspace Support career field

Hell, IMHO ANYONE should try getting into AFSCs included in the 3D- Cyberspace Support career field

Eh, I am more of a warrior, but I am really good with computers in certain areas, they tried to get me to do Cyber Surety or Electrical Systems Security, but eh.

What the AF is good for is high quality technological training, with probably the best conversion to civilian workforce. They're not looking for warriors, they're looking for brains.

It's the reason they have the highest score standard on the ASVAB for enlisting.

You go in and learn a lot of really useful technical shit, go to college, and see the country and the world for a little while.

It gets an unfair shake because it's not considered the "tough" branch. I say fuck that. You enlisted in the fucking US military. It doesn't get much tougher than that dude.

Enjoy it for all it's worth.

Well, I just hope I can be tough to myself, screw what others think.

Eh, I am more of a warrior, but I am really good with computers in certain areas, they tried to get me to do Cyber Surety or Electrical Systems Security, but eh. .

Well, bud, I'm sorry to hear that. You're waisting talent, time, and in 20 years, you'll know I'm right.

If you really were a warrior, then you'd be a Jarhead.

At least get into MP, and learn skills that can be marketed outside the AF.

Eh, I am more of a warrior, but I am really good with computers in certain areas, they tried to get me to do Cyber Surety or Electrical Systems Security, but eh. .

Well, bud, I'm sorry to hear that. You're waisting talent, time, and in 20 years, you'll know I'm right.

I doubt I'll be doing the same AFSC for 20 years. You can change your AFSC every re-enlistment, and from what I was told, you can put in the change a year before the re-enlistment. I do not plan to be Security Forces for 20 years, my first 6 years yes, I'll be SF, but I am pretty sure I'll be changing that, and I hope to get into the Special Forces, then later on probably retire on a different AFSC.

Well, I am sorry you see it that way.

That is Security Forces.

I doubt I'll be doing the same AFSC for 20 years. You can change your AFSC every re-enlistment, and from what I was told, you can put in the change a year before the re-enlistment. I do not plan to be Security Forces for 20 years, my first 6 years yes, I'll be SF, but I am pretty sure I'll be changing that, and I hope to get into the Special Forces, then later on probably retire on a different AFSC.

That is Security Forces.

Well, you asked for advice, and you got it.

I'd frankly be astonished if you took any of it.:tongue:

Just so you know, SF is pretty much what they stick most enlistees in when they enlist without a guaranteed AFSC.

That or supply, usually. It's fine if you want to come out and be a civy cop, but otherwise it's kind of a beat job.

What was your ASVAB score?

Just so you know, SF is pretty much what they stick most enlistees in when they enlist without a guaranteed AFSC.

That or supply, usually. It's fine if you want to come out and be a civy cop, but otherwise it's kind of a beat job.

What was your ASVAB score?

I am not sure, I lost my paper, I believe it was a 57, but don't hold me to it. I asked for them to let me re-take it, we had taken our ASVAB because the guys who where supposed to bring it showed up early that year [the year before they never even showed up] and I had no idea it was on until I got there, my friend didn't even get to take it. No excuses though, I made what I made, and I signed up with it. Tough shit for me.

That is Security Forces.

Well, you asked for advice, and you got it.

I'd frankly be astonished if you took any of it.:tongue:

Advice is, that if I was a real warrior I'd be a marine? Please. No offense, but their argument to get me to join was Boxing, for god's sake. It's a great sport, and I love to participate but really. Plus, I believe I can be as much as a warrior as them in the USAF, and a better one if I try hard enough.

I got a 96 on my ASVAB and I chose fucking MISSILES.

I could have had any job in the AF except for the ones I was disqualified for because of my depth perception test at MEPS, but I picked probably the gayest AFSC there is.

It ended up leading to me wanting to separate rather than stay in.

2 pieces of advice: Don't come to your decision lightly on your AFSC, and get it guaranteed in writing on your contract.

I watched too many people go in "open" with verbal promises of awesome AFSC's, and get supply or cop.

I'm assuming you're already beyond that point now though since you went to MEPS.

I could have had any job in the AF except for the ones I was disqualified for because of my depth perception test at MEPS, but I picked probably the gayest AFSC there is.

2 pieces of advice: Don't come to your decision lightly on your AFSC, and get it guaranteed in writing on your contract.

I watched too many people go in "open" with verbal promises of awesome AFSC's, and get supply or cop.

Well, I am looking at cop haha. I told them I would want my job assigned and not be Open, thank god you have that choice in the DEP. I don't think their supposed to even be able to send you to BMT until you either: Have a AFSC, or your DEP date is about to run out, which then you can either re-do it, or go in with Open.

Well, I am looking at cop haha. I told them I would want my job assigned and not be Open, thank god you have that choice in the DEP. I don't think their supposed to even be able to send you to BMT until you either: Have a AFSC, or your DEP date is about to run out, which then you can either re-do it, or go in with Open.
I don't know the DEP process, I signed with my recruiter and shipped from MEPS like 2 weeks later.

Did you meet with the career liason and pick your AFSC, and sign the contract and take the oath at MEPS?

I think I scored a 98 when I took it. Recruiter about wet his pants trying to get me to sign up. I didn't. In retrospect, maybe I should have. But such is life.

I don't know the DEP process, I signed with my recruiter and shipped from MEPS like 2 weeks later.

Did you meet with the career liason and pick your AFSC, and sign the contract and take the oath at MEPS?

Yea, I also made a MEPS topic explaining my whole day at MEPS.

Yes, and if I remember I think my list was this exactly:

1. Security Forces
2. Fire Protection
3. Physical Medicine
4. Electrical Systems Security
5. I forgot what my #5 was.

Forum List

Back