More overrated: JFK or Reagan?

Last edited:
Ronald Reagan stopped on true labor in exchange for rich corporate goons. Supported dictatorships as long as they were not communists, sold weapons to terrorists, cut social spending, and spent far more than he taxed.

I don't think JFK was the best president ever, I think LBJ did far more as a president on domestic issues, and I believe his brother Bobby would've been a tremendous help to this country if he wasn't assassinated too.

Someone was asked to describe Reagan in one word...

They said, "Lucky."

Reagan came into office just as the North Shore oil started to flow.

As far as Reagan being better than any of 'em? I actually was serving in the military while Reagan was president, and he was probably the largest fuck up this country has seen outside of Bush Jr.

1983 Beirut barracks bombing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the death toll was 241 American servicemen: 220 Marines, 18 Navy personnel and three Army soldiers, along with sixty Americans injured, representing the deadliest single-day death toll for the United States Marine Corps since the Battle of Iwo Jima of World War II...

In retaliation for the attacks, France launched an airstrike in the Beqaa Valley against alleged Islamic Revolutionary Guards positions. President Reagan assembled his national security team...

Bush Sr. is one of the most under-rated presidents of our time. Easily.

As to the OP: Both were drastically over-rated, though both do have some pretty incredible things that you can lay to their credit. JFK's handling of the Cuban Missile Crisis defused WWIII and laid the groundwork for how things would end when you get right down to it. Reagan actually closed out the Cold War and was willing to work with Gorbachev to ensure that the Cold War ended Cold. It could have easily ended with a nuclear exchange if either man was unwilling to negotiate at the end.

All in all though, I'd have to go with Reagan as the more overrated though. This is solely because of the Reagan cult that has arisen on the Right with the ridiculous "What Would Reagan Do?" T-shirts at the Conservative websites and Hannity/Rush/Beck's obsession with Reagan that's sprung up. Hailing Reagan as a Conservative hero requires that you pretty much outright ignore 75% of the stuff he did, his expansion of government, his ballooning of the debt, etc. That Cons can, with a straight face, do that and lift up Reagan as a Conservative Patron Saint just shows you how ridiculous this New Conservative movement is.

That isn't to say that JFK wasn't an ass though. He's certainly overrated. Its just as time has passed the cult of JFK has given way to a more sober reflection on his Presidency making him a little less overrated.

Spot on!!

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

As far as Reagan being better than any of 'em? I actually was serving in the military while Reagan was president, and he was probably the largest fuck up this country has seen outside of Bush Jr.

1983 Beirut barracks bombing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the death toll was 241 American servicemen: 220 Marines, 18 Navy personnel and three Army soldiers, along with sixty Americans injured, representing the deadliest single-day death toll for the United States Marine Corps since the Battle of Iwo Jima of World War II...

In retaliation for the attacks, France launched an airstrike in the Beqaa Valley against alleged Islamic Revolutionary Guards positions. President Reagan assembled his national security team...

I remember that place. It's where my ship while anchored 1 mile off the coast got shot at by artillery. Because of that little event, we had to steam up and down the shoreline while doing our mission.

Quartermasters were PISSED!

Reagan overrated.
Kennedy underrated.

Exactly.

Kennedy sent in troops to desegregate the schools in the South, signed the Nuclear Test Ban Treaty, faced down the Russians in Cuba, started the Peace Corps and the Alliance for Progress, and sent us on our way to the moon.

Reagan lowered taxes for the rich and doubled the National Debt.
Tripled.

Reagan overrated.
Kennedy underrated.

Exactly.

Kennedy sent in troops to desegregate the schools in the South, signed the Nuclear Test Ban Treaty, faced down the Russians in Cuba, started the Peace Corps and the Alliance for Progress, and sent us on our way to the moon.

And he fucked Cuba, don't forget about that. He was an inspirational speaker, I'll give him that, but he did very little other than the Peace Corps and get us more involved in Viet Nam. John Kennedy would never have been reelected.
Sorry, a bullet to the head does not make you a great President

Both are incredibly overrated. Both have in fact been deified by their respective sides - the Republican Presidential primaries this last cycle were a "Who's more like Saint Reagan" contest, while on the Democratic side, every Op-Ed and endorsement compared Obama and JFK.

In life, neither one holds up to their current statuses as Gods.

Gee, personal bias judging which personal bias hero is the best according to personal bias. What a novel concept! Maybe we should use this in politics, polling and publications.

I liked Bush Sr. He seemed genuine and if he had been a better public speaker he would have went two terms. I think JFK and Ronnie were both overrated.

Kennedy is more over-rated, he gave us Israel, first president to give weapons to Israel, oh wait it was the other liberal that gave us Israel, Truman, Kennedy gave us all the dead in Vietnam, it was Kennedy's administration that increased the amount of advisors and came up with the plans for the invasion by American troops, but he was just fighting that problem of Communism, that Roosevelt and Truman gave us.

Kennedy also failed to make peace with Cuba which led to the current poverty and suffering in Cuba. Poor people are so desperate they try and drive 57 chevy trucks across the Gulf to Florida.

Kennedy, very over rated.

I liked Bush Sr. He seemed genuine and if he had been a better public speaker he would have went two terms. I think JFK and Ronnie were both overrated.

I like Bush Sr. as well, his bailout of the Savings and Loan only cost us around a trillion dollars which we are still paying off today. He also taught Jr. everything Jr. knows, like how to bail out a bank.

Forum List

Back