More overrated: JFK or Reagan?

Both were powerful speakers...
Both were shot

Given Reagans 8 years to Kennedys 3 years, I would have to go with JFK being the more overrated. Reagan had more accomplishments while JFK was more of what might have been

I look at it this way...the more time tha tpasses, the more positive things about Reagan, his foresight, his integrity come to the fore.

The more time passes, the fewer positive things about JFK come forward, the more unsavory dealings of his come to the fore, and we see he really had very little integrity whatsoever.

So I'd say Kennedy is overrated. Though most people don't even do that with him anymore. He's sort of fading into the limelight, while Reagan is gaining prestige.

During the Cuban Missile Crisis, if JFK had followed the advice of the military brass, Senate and Congressional leaders, and most of his cabinet, much of America would be a smoking hole and there would be no Reagan to rate.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Throughout the 13-day Cuban missile crisis, Kennedy was under relentless pressure from LeMay and nearly his entire national-security circle to "fry" Cuba, in the Air Force chief's memorable language. But J.F.K., whose only key support in the increasingly tense Cabinet Room meetings came from his brother Bobby and Defense Secretary Robert McNamara, kept searching for a nonmilitary solution. When Kennedy, assiduously working the back channels to the Kremlin, finally succeeded in cutting a deal with Khrushchev, the world survived "the most dangerous moment in human history," in Schlesinger's words. But no one at the time knew just how dangerous. Years later, attending the 40th anniversary of the crisis at a conference in Havana, Schlesinger, Sorensen and McNamara were stunned to learn that if U.S. forces had attacked Cuba, Russian commanders on the island were authorized to respond with tactical and strategic nuclear missiles. The Joint Chiefs had assured Kennedy during the crisis that "no nuclear warheads were in Cuba at the time," Sorensen grimly noted. "They were wrong." If Kennedy had bowed to his military advisers' pressure, a vast swath of the urban U.S. within missile range of the Soviet installations in Cuba could have been reduced to radioactive rubble.

Warrior For Peace - The Lessons of J.F.K. - TIME

Both were shot

Given Reagans 8 years to Kennedys 3 years, I would have to go with JFK being the more overrated. Reagan had more accomplishments while JFK was more of what might have been

JFK did more good in his 3 years than Reagan did in his 8.

Or you can flip it.

Reagan did more destruction to this county in his 8 years than Kennedy did in his 3.

Again...JFK = underrated.

Reagan = overrated.

I look at it this way...the more time tha tpasses, the more positive things about Reagan, his foresight, his integrity come to the fore.

The more time passes, the fewer positive things about JFK come forward, the more unsavory dealings of his come to the fore, and we see he really had very little integrity whatsoever.

So I'd say Kennedy is overrated. Though most people don't even do that with him anymore. He's sort of fading into the limelight, while Reagan is gaining prestige.

You are right about Kennedy but wrong about Reagan. Reagan destroyed this US economy, and because of his admin, is one of the biggest reasons why there are no factory jobs anymore. The only circles that talk about his integrity, are the ones you run in.

Both were shot

Dammit!

I forgot how reasonable RW can be.

Not that bad of a predition though, only one person has gone out of pattern.

Both men were great public speakers that could motivate the public.

Both achieved great things. so this is little more than peoples opinions.

I liked JFK, and the Dems that were around then. You had to admire a group that followed a man that said; "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country!"

Now that the dems have devolved into a group that demands the government take care of them and thier health care...

JFK is over hyped, b/c the dems that followed that dream are dead. Many conservatives still like Reaganomics. Fix what went wrong and apply it again, and we will have growth once more.

You are right about Kennedy but wrong about Reagan. Reagan destroyed this US economy, and because of his admin, is one of the biggest reasons why there are no factory jobs anymore. The only circles that talk about his integrity, are the ones you run in.

Reagan was also out of touch with the "common" man and definitely seemed to have a dislike for the poor.

One thing about Kennedy's short time in office, though, he instilled an enthusiasm for life, and there was a new vitality in DC which hadn't been there. I was a teenager at the time, and could see the difference from the Eisenhower administration. He also got people moving, and paying more attention to physical fitness. That's really when people started jogging and exercising, and they focused more on physical fitness in the schools. There was a greater emphasis on the arts and literature at the same time.

I know a retired secret service agent who has absolutely nothing good to say about Reagan. Says that he was a two-faced lying phony who wouldn't give anyone the time of day unless he somehow stood to gain from the relationship. Conversely, he has nothing bad to say about Bush Sr. Says he was a true gentleman who honestly cared about everyone, right down to the indigent pan-handler.

I know a retired secret service agent who has absolutely nothing good to say about Reagan. Says that he was a two-faced lying phony who wouldn't give anyone the time of day unless he somehow stood to gain from the relationship. Conversely, he has nothing bad to say about Bush Sr. Says he was a true gentleman who honestly cared about everyone, right down to the indigent pan-handler.

There's no question that Reagan was an arrogant jackass. read any of the books on him and it quickly becomes clear.

Presidents are leaders, and you can measure them by how long thier leadership passes down.

When is the last time you heard any dem say they want to do it the way JFK did it?

Forum List

Back