More overrated: JFK or Reagan?

JFK was a great man who got us into space, as well as did a great deal of work towards civil rights and equality.

Reagan made us one of the most hated nations, expanded the war on drugs (remember "just say no"), as well as damn near broke the Navy with his 500 ship navy dream.

Reagan stinks on ice.

What kind of fucking moron quotes "Just say no." as a bad thing?

Since you must be a total moron, I will inform you that "Just say No" came from Nancy, the First Lady.

This was a fun thread until you opened your mouth and removed all doubt.

Reagan had Alzheimer's. Based on the research done by MANY medical types, Alzheimer's can be delayed by smoking cannabis. Cannabis has many other medical uses other than just Alzheimer's by the way.

Try again 2 Dumb, "just say no" was primarily against the "gateway drug" cannabis. And the ramping up of the war on drugs only ended up blowing a bunch of money.

JFK was a great man who got us into space, as well as did a great deal of work towards civil rights and equality.

Reagan made us one of the most hated nations, expanded the war on drugs (remember "just say no"), as well as damn near broke the Navy with his 500 ship navy dream.

Reagan stinks on ice.

Since you must be a total moron, I will inform you that "Just say No" came from Nancy, the First Lady.

It's ironic, conservatives scream, cry and groan about BIG government, warn about the dire peril of government intervention, and most of all; 'unintended consequences' of the same...

US_incarceration_timeline.gif

So either conservatives are lying, or this is THEIR idea of a 'Nanny State'

britannica_prison-523x360.jpg

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich.
President John F. Kennedy

Reagan stinks on ice.

Everything that Ronnie or Nancy uttered was written for them by their kitchen cabinet.

Reagan stinks on ice.

Reagan had Alzheimer's. Based on the research done by MANY medical types, Alzheimer's can be delayed by smoking cannabis. Cannabis has many other medical uses other than just Alzheimer's by the way.

Try again 2 Dumb, "just say no" was primarily against the "gateway drug" cannabis. And the ramping up of the war on drugs only ended up blowing a bunch of money.

2 Dumb? gee how original

Gee, Reagan did have alzheimers and was still better than anyone out there. And NO ONE new pot was good for helping it.

And "just say no" was not just for pot.

Damn dud, try not making shit up. If you were to young to remember, that's fine, that's why I'm hardly talking about JFK. My teacher that covered him was a dyed in the wool liberal and his worship of him made me question everything he said.

Maybe you will tell me. How did you democrats go from "Ask what you can do for your country" do becoming nothing more than beggars that demand more and more entitlements?

How did you democrats go from "Ask what you can do for your country" do becoming nothing more than beggars that demand more and more entitlements?

Unlike republicans, the dems lack the foresight to incorporate first, and THEN demand handouts.

Reagan stinks on ice.

Either Reagan was on machines for the last five years of his life, or he didn't have Alzheimer's while in office. That is one theory I don't believe in. For one men tend to not live as long with the disease. So he either had treatments not available to most, Nancy kept him alive on machines for years, or he didn't have it while in office.

2 Dumb? gee how original

Gee, Reagan did have alzheimers and was still better than anyone out there. And NO ONE new pot was good for helping it.

And "just say no" was not just for pot.

Damn dud, try not making shit up. If you were to young to remember, that's fine, that's why I'm hardly talking about JFK. My teacher that covered him was a dyed in the wool liberal and his worship of him made me question everything he said.

Maybe you will tell me. How did you democrats go from "Ask what you can do for your country" do becoming nothing more than beggars that demand more and more entitlements?

Actually, I'm 46, and was born just after Kennedy was shot. As far as the research not being there? The CIA and military had LOTS of data from their experiments in the late 60's, as well as the 70's had data from the report commissioned by Nixon (which was favorable).

As far as the "just say no" campaign? Why were almost all their commercials concerned with pot exclusively?

As far as Reagan being better than any of 'em? I actually was serving in the military while Reagan was president, and he was probably the largest fuck up this country has seen outside of Bush Jr.

I suppose you think Bush Jr. was a great president as well?

It reduces a serious social problem down to a mindless cheerleader's chant.

Well yes it had to because Ronnie's brain had already begun to slip away........like our manufactoring sector.

JFK is greatly overrated for a simple emotional reason... an assassinated president being looked back upon fondly... he's praised like a saint, which he definitely was not.... he made plenty of blunders, made some good moves and was pretty shrewd... certainly not one of the greatest, but not one of the worst either...

I tell you one thing... I would much rather have a Kennedy again than 1 more single day of Obama

I know a retired secret service agent who has absolutely nothing good to say about Reagan. Says that he was a two-faced lying phony who wouldn't give anyone the time of day unless he somehow stood to gain from the relationship. Conversely, he has nothing bad to say about Bush Sr. Says he was a true gentleman who honestly cared about everyone, right down to the indigent pan-handler.

Interesting. I heard the opposite about Reagan. I heard that in person he was the nicest guy in the world who would give you the shirt off his back....
I totally believe that. I've had contact with many influential right wingers who were very likable and gracious. Unfortunately, their political views were not in my interest at all.

I know a retired secret service agent who has absolutely nothing good to say about Reagan. Says that he was a two-faced lying phony who wouldn't give anyone the time of day unless he somehow stood to gain from the relationship. Conversely, he has nothing bad to say about Bush Sr. Says he was a true gentleman who honestly cared about everyone, right down to the indigent pan-handler.

Bush Sr. is one of the most under-rated presidents of our time. Easily.

As to the OP: Both were drastically over-rated, though both do have some pretty incredible things that you can lay to their credit. JFK's handling of the Cuban Missile Crisis defused WWIII and laid the groundwork for how things would end when you get right down to it. Reagan actually closed out the Cold War and was willing to work with Gorbachev to ensure that the Cold War ended Cold. It could have easily ended with a nuclear exchange if either man was unwilling to negotiate at the end.

All in all though, I'd have to go with Reagan as the more overrated though. This is solely because of the Reagan cult that has arisen on the Right with the ridiculous "What Would Reagan Do?" T-shirts at the Conservative websites and Hannity/Rush/Beck's obsession with Reagan that's sprung up. Hailing Reagan as a Conservative hero requires that you pretty much outright ignore 75% of the stuff he did, his expansion of government, his ballooning of the debt, etc. That Cons can, with a straight face, do that and lift up Reagan as a Conservative Patron Saint just shows you how ridiculous this New Conservative movement is.

That isn't to say that JFK wasn't an ass though. He's certainly overrated. Its just as time has passed the cult of JFK has given way to a more sober reflection on his Presidency making him a little less overrated.

Reagan's no doubt one of the greatest presidents in history....Hence, REAGAN DEMOCRATS!.......Not all dem's are fuckin' morons!

JFK?......Sadly, he never had a chance.

The most overated president in US history?......Toss up between FDR and the current inept clown now occupying the oval office.

Bush Sr. is one of the most under-rated presidents of our time. Easily.

As to the OP: Both were drastically over-rated, though both do have some pretty incredible things that you can lay to their credit. JFK's handling of the Cuban Missile Crisis defused WWIII and laid the groundwork for how things would end when you get right down to it. Reagan actually closed out the Cold War and was willing to work with Gorbachev to ensure that the Cold War ended Cold. It could have easily ended with a nuclear exchange if either man was unwilling to negotiate at the end.

All in all though, I'd have to go with Reagan as the more overrated though. This is solely because of the Reagan cult that has arisen on the Right with the ridiculous "What Would Reagan Do?" T-shirts at the Conservative websites and Hannity/Rush/Beck's obsession with Reagan that's sprung up. Hailing Reagan as a Conservative hero requires that you pretty much outright ignore 75% of the stuff he did, his expansion of government, his ballooning of the debt, etc. That Cons can, with a straight face, do that and lift up Reagan as a Conservative Patron Saint just shows you how ridiculous this New Conservative movement is.

That isn't to say that JFK wasn't an ass though. He's certainly overrated. Its just as time has passed the cult of JFK has given way to a more sober reflection on his Presidency making him a little less overrated.

I don't think enough credit is being given to Gorbachev. He was very interested in capitalism and our culture. He enjoyed the things the US had to offer. If Reagan had been around with Krushchev, for example, the dialog would have been a lot different.

As far as Reagan being better than any of 'em? I actually was serving in the military while Reagan was president, and he was probably the largest fuck up this country has seen outside of Bush Jr.

1983 Beirut barracks bombing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the death toll was 241 American servicemen: 220 Marines, 18 Navy personnel and three Army soldiers, along with sixty Americans injured, representing the deadliest single-day death toll for the United States Marine Corps since the Battle of Iwo Jima of World War II, the deadliest single-day death toll for the United States military since the first day of the Tet Offensive during the Vietnam War, and the deadliest single attack on Americans overseas since World War II

In retaliation for the attacks, France launched an airstrike in the Beqaa Valley against alleged Islamic Revolutionary Guards positions. President Reagan assembled his national security team...

Last edited:
How did you democrats go from "Ask what you can do for your country" do becoming nothing more than beggars that demand more and more entitlements?

Unlike republicans, the dems lack the foresight to incorporate first, and THEN demand handouts.

So you are saying the dems don't know how to properly run big business?

some one better tell Kerry and Gore.

Didn't put a lot of thought into that one, did you.

Don't you think it is strange before the 80's you could buy a home, and easily pay it off?
How about sending your child to college?
Buying a car?
And before the 80's people did this on one income.

I didn't grow up in Idaho, where I was born thanks to Reagan and the "great" economy in the 80's. The driving force for the economy in the town I was born in, was a factory. When we left in 85's the town was dead and my parents had to take a loss on our house. We then moved to Spokane, which has been on a steady decline since the 80's, thanks to most of the factories closing.

Lol..and you think that's Reagan's fault?

Honest, is there anyone dumber than Luissa?

Forum List

Back