Minimum Wage poll

Ideally, what percentage of workers should be working for the minimum wage?

• 0% - no minimum wage

• 10%

• 20%

• 30%

• 40%

• 50%

• 60%

• 70%

• 80%

• 90%

• 100% - everyone gets the same income.

Results are only viewable after voting.

dblack

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
I read that currently 2.7% of US workers are paid minimum wage. Elsewhere I read that 42% of US workers make $15/hr or less. So, if we raised minimum wage to $15/hr, we'd have 42% of US workers working for minimum wage. Which left me wonder what reformers see as the ideal percentage.

I read that currently 2.7% of US workers are paid minimum wage. Elsewhere I read that 42% of US workers make $15/hr or less. So, if we raised minimum wage to $15/hr, we'd have 42% of US workers working for minimum wage. Which left me wonder what reformers see as the ideal percentage.

This is when the supremes got it right.
In Morehead v. New York Ex. Rel. Tipaldo, 298 US 587 (1936) the Supreme Court overturned a New York state law setting minimum wages and work hours for women and children, on the grounds that the law removed from workers the right to negotiate wages in exchange for work under the 14th Amendment Due Process Clause.

What New Deal legislation did the US Supreme Court declare unconstitutional

Wages have been increasing under Trump. Let the free market set the wage.

That percentage would drastically decrease from 42% back down to single digits.

What the Uninformed Voter doesn't understand is you can't increase wages on just one group of people. If you try to do that, it creates a domino effect.

The $8.00 an hour worker may be making $15.00 after a law is passed, but the $15.00 worker will be making $22.00 or more after it's passed.

It wouldn't help the poor and the new minimum wage would only be a livable wage for about a year or so until everybody else catches up. The only real change would be more investments in automation by companies, and more jobs leaving the US.

What the Uninformed Voter doesn't understand is you can't increase wages on just one group of people. If you try to do that, it creates a domino effect.

The $8.00 an hour worker may be making $15.00 after a law is passed, but the $15.00 worker will be making $22.00 or more after it's passed.

It wouldn't help the poor and the new minimum wage would only be a livable wage for about a year or so until everybody else catches up. The only real change would be more investments in automation by companies, and more jobs leaving the US.

^ that's sarcasm right?

So, everyone would make more money! That's a good thing, right? ;)

It would be if costs stayed the same. But when your wages go up, so does the wages of the people that provide you with goods and services. In a year or two, you're making more money, but you're no better off financially than you were making $8.00 an hour.

^ that's sarcasm right?

No, it's reality.

^ that's sarcasm right?

No, it's reality.

Bwahahahahaha..

I don't remember getting a $5 dollar raise the last time the national minimum wage was raised .

You smoking crack they might get 50 cents but $10 bucks more an hour?

You're nuts

So all these companies will say ok now that 7.25 an hour is making $15 an hour I will dig in my profits and pay the $15 an hour $22?

LMFAO...

^ that's sarcasm right?

No, it's reality.

Bwahahahahaha..

I don't remember getting a $5 dollar raise the last time the national minimum wage was raised .

You're nuts

So let's say I have a job that requires some training and experience. I've been with my company for about five years and worked my way up to $15.00 from $10.00 an hour. Now minimum wage gets set to $15.00 per hour. Do you think after my experience, training and time with my company, I'm going to now be working for minimum wage when prior, I was working for seven dollars more than minimum?

If minimum wage goes up a quarter or even fifty cents, it won't have that kind of impact. But if you double the minimum wage, it will.

^ that's sarcasm right?

No, it's reality.

Bwahahahahaha..

You're nuts

So let's say I have a job that requires some training and experience. I've been with my company for about five years and worked my way up to $15.00 from $10.00 an hour. Now minimum wage gets set to $15.00 per hour. Do you think after my experience, training and time with my company, I'm going to now be working for minimum wage when prior, I was working for seven dollars more than minimum?

If minimum wage goes up a quarter or even fifty cents, it won't have that kind of impact. But if you double the minimum wage, it will.

You are dreaming in some fantasy land if they could afford to pay them $22 an hour now they would.

You are going to get soaked if you make $15 an hour now...you will make minimum wage

I proved this before look at the job boards people in low minimum wage states most make way over minimum wage

People in high minimum wage states make right around there minimum wage

^ that's sarcasm right?

No, it's reality.

Bwahahahahaha..

You're nuts

You are dreaming in some fantasy land if they could afford to pay them $22 an hour now they would.

You are going to get soaked if you make $15 an hour now...you will make minimum wage

No, because if I demand $22.00 an hour, my employer has two choices: Pay me what I want which is the same distance from minimum wage I was working at before, or let me leave the company and hire somebody with no experience or training for $17.00 an hour, and eventually that person will work his or her way to the wage I'm now demanding.

My employer would have little choice. He could keep his investment in me, or start all over again with a new employee.

^ that's sarcasm right?

No, it's reality.

Bwahahahahaha..

You're nuts

No, because if I demand $22.00 an hour, my employer has two choices: Pay me what I want which is the same distance from minimum wage I was working at before, or let me leave the company and hire somebody with no experience or training for $17.00 an hour, and eventually that person will work his or her way to the wage I'm now demanding.

My employer would have little choice. He could keep his investment in me, or start all over again with a new employee.

Demand it now, let's see where it gets you Ray..

( I really should tag my threads)

But if you search them their is this article about a Walmart maintenance guy making two bucks more, then when Walmart raised their wages he didn't get a raise...he now makes the minimum.

No, it's reality.

Bwahahahahaha..

You're nuts

But if you search them their is this article about a Walmart maintenance guy making two bucks more, then when Walmart raised their wages he didn't get a raise...he now makes the minimum.

I found it

We told you and told you...

It's just trickle up poor instead of 3% of workers making minimum wage, 50% of American workers would make minimum wage if we raised the national MW to $15 an hour.

It doesn't raise all boats..

Minimum wages are rising. Pay for experienced retail workers is not. | Business | stltoday.com

James Collins has been working at Walmart for six years. His pay: $11 an hour, the same as what a new hire would make on their first day of work.

Collins, a 65-year-old maintenance worker at a Dallas store, joined the company when the starting hourly wage was $8. Over the years, Walmart has steadily raised that rate, in part to attract workers in a tightening labor market. But data shows that pay for longer-term workers like Collins has remained stubbornly stagnant.

“There’s no appreciation for experience anymore,” Collins said. “Someone could walk off the street today and get paid the same as me.”

No, it's reality.

Bwahahahahaha..

You're nuts

Then he's a dope for staying. Either that, or he really likes working for Walmart.

If I demand $22.00 an hour now with minimum wage as it is, of course my employer would not give it to me because he could replace me at a lower cost. If I'm an experienced tow motor driver with shipping and receiving experience making $15.00 an hour, my employer can replace me with somebody that has the same qualifications at that rate of pay. He could never do that if $15.00 an hour was the new minimum wage. Who would accept a job that requires that kind of experience for minimum wage whatever that may be? Because anybody with that kind of experience will not work for minimum wage.

Bwahahahahaha..

You're nuts

Then he's a dope for staying. Either that, or he really likes working for Walmart.

If I demand $22.00 an hour now with minimum wage as it is, of course my employer would not give it to me because he could replace me at a lower cost. If I'm an experienced tow motor driver with shipping and receiving experience making $15.00 an hour, my employer can replace me with somebody that has the same qualifications at that rate of pay. He could never do that if $15.00 an hour was the new minimum wage. Who would accept a job that requires that kind of experience for minimum wage whatever that may be? Because anybody with that kind of experience will not work for minimum wage.

He doesn't have the money..

Forum List

Back