Career trend 'act your wage' from fed up workers brings job warnings from experts

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia

The trend "act your wage" is the mindset that the amount of effort employees put into their job should directly align with their pay.

It seems the main consideration for employees wanting to ‘act their wage’ is to implement boundaries aimed at protecting their own work-life balance and to not overwork themselves to a point that affects their quality of life," said Michelle Reisdorf, Chicago-based district president at Robert Half, the international HR consulting firm.

Why is 'act your wage’ trending?

This trend — and other labor trends — often gain steam seemingly as more employees sign on and feel impacted by the root cause of it, noted Reisdorf.

The state of the job market is complex, and as such, many workers may have had to take on more work and feel burned out, she said.

The gaslighting operation on a generation is going quite well I see. :banghead:

"You are powerless. You can't help yourself. It's always someone else's fault. You need the state to make things right."

The idea of doing a good job used to be about who you are as a person.

Just wait till reality sets in when the unemployment rate hits 5%+.....That and I wonder how that translates with $15.00 a hour fast food workers.

Used to be that way and employees who put the company above their own needs were rewarded for it.

Now, employees are let go whenever there is a slow period. Downsizing means you pick up the workload of those who were let go.

Get a life is now more important than serving your employer.
Sorry, but I am going home at 5PM

Last edited:
Bare minimum effort people are on a fast track to being losers their entire life

The newer generation is lazier but they have a sound argument as to why. They see little future, loyalty or upward mobility with the risk of being outsourced at a moments notice.

The trend "act your wage" is the mindset that the amount of effort employees put into their job should directly align with their pay.

It seems the main consideration for employees wanting to ‘act their wage’ is to implement boundaries aimed at protecting their own work-life balance and to not overwork themselves to a point that affects their quality of life," said Michelle Reisdorf, Chicago-based district president at Robert Half, the international HR consulting firm.

This trend — and other labor trends — often gain steam seemingly as more employees sign on and feel impacted by the root cause of it, noted Reisdorf.

The state of the job market is complex, and as such, many workers may have had to take on more work and feel burned out, she said.

"You are powerless. You can't help yourself. It's always someone else's fault. You need the state to make things right."

Just wait till reality sets in when the unemployment rate hits 5%+.....That and I wonder how that translates with $15.00 a hour fast food workers.
If a work-life balance is what you seek, so be it. Everyone's goals are different. And it's not like your hard work is going to be rewarded if you aren't in a sales producing capacity (meaning your income is based on what you produce). It's not like 50+ years ago when you were loyal to an employer for life and they were loyal to you. About the time that Reagan was ascending the political spectrum, companies started deciding that employees were expenditures to be written off and on depending on how the balance sheet looked and if the C level people were going to get their fat bonuses or not.

Being in the technical field, I don't have that luxury to "act my wage". But it's what I signed on for 25 years ago. I understand the sacrifices, and even enjoy them. And if you understand that "acting your wage" may not bring you the wealth or compensation you want, and are ok with that, good for you. I'm not gonna tell anyone else how to manage their career. This is outside the whole host of economic issues facing the average voter today like affordable housing, an equitable tax system, healthcare that moves with you when you change jobs and doesn't require you to pay a mortgage+ every month...and of course inflation, which was inevitable, and is getting better.

Bare minimum effort people are on a fast track to being losers their entire life
work/life balance is important. i miss work but there was plenty of "opportunity cost" to being a "company man."

"ride for the brand" code of the west.

If a work-life balance is what you seek, so be it. Everyone's goals are different. And it's not like your hard work is going to be rewarded if you aren't in a sales producing capacity (meaning your income is based on what you produce). It's not like 50+ years ago when you were loyal to an employer for life and they were loyal to you. About the time that Reagan was ascending the political spectrum, companies started deciding that employees were expenditures to be written off and on depending on how the balance sheet looked and if the C level people were going to get their fat bonuses or not.

Being in the technical field, I don't have that luxury to "act my wage". But it's what I signed on for 25 years ago. I understand the sacrifices, and even enjoy them. And if you understand that "acting your wage" may not bring you the wealth or compensation you want, and are ok with that, good for you. I'm not gonna tell anyone else how to manage their career. This is outside the whole host of economic issues facing the average voter today like affordable housing, an equitable tax system, healthcare that moves with you when you change jobs and doesn't require you to pay a mortgage+ every month...and of course inflation, which was inevitable, and is getting better.
And that is all fine and good but they should not expect $100 worth of pay for $50 worth of work.

Would you work for less pay and more responsibilities of work than workers who make more money used to do?

And that is all fine and good but they should not expect $100 worth of pay for $50 worth of work.
now might be a bad time to bring up the "labor theory of value" but in capitalism, it is much more likely to do $100 work for $5o pay.

at the lower end of "management" there is little "work/life balance"

Everyone generates more wealth than they are being paid.
If a company is losing money on you, they let you go.
winger, you are a commie.

"just because marx wrote of the labor theory of value does not make it wrong. " rampart

Excellent. We work to live. We don't live to work.

Forum List

Back