Miliary Benefits Are Disappearing

I am pro military. I want the military to be paid well. I want the best possible equipment. I want taxes go to go to making sure we have the best .

My point is to be careful. Politicians are trying to USE the military in a way to pit them against non-military. To create another group of dependents. My dad served in the Navy, then he left the service and went about his life. There was no talk of what he was "owed" or entitled to. He served and that was what he did.
There are tax breaks being proposed for military who are underwater in their homes. The reality is that too many people simply buy homes they can't afford in the first place. And, tax breaks to preferentially hire military. I am not against that type of help. Just pointing out to that this is being USED to turn the military into just another special interest group.
Do not let politicians do this to you. That is all i am saying.

The military is voluntary. Nobody is forced to join. You know you are going to "get shot at" when you join. Same with police officers. Firefighters know they are going to run into burning buildings.
But, how much subsidies are "enough"? If someone goes into the military for 3 years are we then supposed to keep that person for the rest of their life? Pay everything from healthcare to their car and mortgage? At what point does the military and perks become something beyond what it is intended and not just another govt dependency plan? None of us have issues with treating our military or soldiers well. We want the best possible equipment and gear and good pay. But, i see politicians using the Military in a way and trying to turn them into another govt dependency group.

Cops and firefighters make a shitload more money than military people, they to live at home with their families, and they can tell their bosses to shove it with no legal repercussions.

I am not disagreeing with you. I am making a point. And, one CHOOSES to join the military. You aren't drafted. I have family in the military. And, they are doing well enough that their wives can stay home full time with their kids. Are they rich? No, of course not but they have a decent lifestyle. And, not all military is abroad.

The military is voluntary. Nobody is forced to join. You know you are going to "get shot at" when you join. Same with police officers. Firefighters know they are going to run into burning buildings.
But, how much subsidies are "enough"? If someone goes into the military for 3 years are we then supposed to keep that person for the rest of their life? Pay everything from healthcare to their car and mortgage? At what point does the military and perks become something beyond what it is intended and not just another govt dependency plan? None of us have issues with treating our military or soldiers well. We want the best possible equipment and gear and good pay. But, i see politicians using the Military in a way and trying to turn them into another govt dependency group.

Cops and firefighters make a shitload more money than military people, they to live at home with their families, and they can tell their bosses to shove it with no legal repercussions.

Yup plus fire fighters and cops can up and quit whenever they feel like it, can't do that in the Military until you hit your DOS.

So, you know that going in. That is life. If you sign up for a term of something and sign a contract, you have to fulfill it.

Thats not the way it works, if a person serves 3 years in the Military and gets out he or she can file a claim with the VA if they were injured in the line of duty and get money for that monthly if they qualify, thats about it, people who separate from the service are not getting their mortages and car payments taken care of.

My point is that Military people need to BEWARE that the govt is indeed trying to use them as a special interest group and pit them against one another and other citizens. Just trying to make that point.

I am pro military. I want the military to be paid well. I want the best possible equipment. I want taxes go to go to making sure we have the best .

My point is to be careful. Politicians are trying to USE the military in a way to pit them against non-military. To create another group of dependents. My dad served in the Navy, then he left the service and went about his life. There was no talk of what he was "owed" or entitled to. He served and that was what he did.
There are tax breaks being proposed for military who are underwater in their homes. The reality is that too many people simply buy homes they can't afford in the first place. And, tax breaks to preferentially hire military. I am not against that type of help. Just pointing out to that this is being USED to turn the military into just another special interest group.
Do not let politicians do this to you. That is all i am saying.

There is a big difference in one that serves one enlistment and the careerist. Get out at 21 or 22 years old and start a career or go to school and go about life as your father did. When I retired in my early 40s, I was way beyond those career forming years. The reason for retiree benefits are to ensure that this country has people willing to put in the time needed to maintain a force that is undefeatable. Take away the incentive to put in that time and all that is left is a group of under-trained and under-led people that is just not good enough.

I am not disagreeing with you. I am making a point. And, one CHOOSES to join the military. You aren't drafted. I have family in the military. And, they are doing well enough that their wives can stay home full time with their kids. Are they rich? No, of course not but they have a decent lifestyle. And, not all military is abroad.

Thats kind of the thing though, we have been able to keep an all volunteer Military for a large part because of the benefits provided to Active duty Military and their families, if we start taking that away it will be harder to keep an all volunteer force and we will have to bring back the draft.

My point is that Military people need to BEWARE that the govt is indeed trying to use them as a special interest group and pit them against one another and other citizens. Just trying to make that point.

We are a special interest group. The Obama administration has forgotten that. Those that go along will pay with their jobs in November.

Who is taking that incentive away? A friend of mine is a retired colonel. She gets a pretty nice pension and VA benefits and is doing quite well.

Who is taking that incentive away? A friend of mine is a retired colonel. She gets a pretty nice pension and VA benefits and is doing quite well.

Colonels retirement pay is enough to live on after you retire without getting another job, retirement pay for most enlisted folks though not so much.

I thought it was just me, but I have met a lot of other military retirees who feel the same way I do about having served for 20 years, which is to say we feel like the world's biggest suckers.

The promises that were made to us are being broken. The "free medical" is not free. If you don't live near a VA hospital, you enroll in Tricare. And Tricare has insurance premiums just like any other health insurance. Sure, it is currently cheaper than a civilian health insurance plan, but there is a movement underway in Congress right now to triple our premiums, and that would demolish any cost advantage to serving 20 of the youngest years of your adult life for medical benefits.

They are also going to do away with the military pension. The reasoning at first sounds logical. A guy who serves four years of active duty who gets sent to combat does not get any kind of retirement plan. A guy who serves 20 years who never went to combat gets a paycheck for the rest of his life.

So the idea is to create a kind of 401-k plan. If you serve only four years, you have a little nest egg when you get out.

But think about that for a minute.

You join the service and after 20 years you get a health benefit identical to a civilian's health benefit. Except you get shot at. And you get paid less.

You join the service and you get a 401-k, just like a civilian. Except you get shot at, and you are paid less.

Why would I join the military?

Oh. Yeah. Patriotism.

Sure.

Welcome to the wonderful world of modern predatory capitalism, Bro.

Sucks, doesn't it?

THIS is the system you were defending for that 20 years, amigo.

If you are now shocked at how you haare now being treated, think what the people who have been screwed like that or worse all along feel.

FWIW, the so CALLED lefties who scare the bejesus out of the LIMO LIBERALS (who actually control the democratic party some here think about all communists) are all former VETS just like you and me.

YOur love of your nation is now UNREQUITED, now that you're not actually one of the loyal servants of the MASTERS.

How does it feel to be rode hard and put away wet, Bro?

What you are now discovering is what ever generation of Vets has felt like since this nation was founded.

You were a TOOL and now that you're a broken tool, you have been cast aside.

Last edited:
Yeah, life sucks all around. Nobody is entitled to anything. Our lives are what we choose to make them. We can focus on the bad or the good. If you are dying for politicians then that is a sad waste. If you are dying for a greater cause of America and all that is good in the world, then it isn't.

Yeah, life sucks all around. Nobody is entitled to anything. Our lives are what we choose to make them. We can focus on the bad or the good. If you are dying for politicians then that is a sad waste. If you are dying for a greater cause of America and all that is good in the world, then it isn't.

When people joined the Military promises were made, I don't see these things as entitlements, this is not food stamps or welfare checks here.

You just said promises were made that aren't fulfilled so what are they?

Forum List

Back