Miliary Benefits Are Disappearing

You sure didn't join up for the good food and no 18 year old kid worries about a medical plan. Maybe you forgot about patriotism. Personally I'm sick of Veterans whining about lost benefits. Get a freaking job that furnishes benefits like I did.

I have patriotism. My job does furnish benefits you idiot. The complaint is the benefits I signed up with are being taken while I have no option of not working. If I do not fulfill my contractual obligations I go to jail. If America doesn't hold up their end its not a problem so long as the tree hugging campaign gets funded. Trust me guy what you don't want is the battle hardened trained portion of the population too sick of you to defend your sorry ass anymore.

You just said promises were made that aren't fulfilled so what are they?

From what I understand the health benefits for active duty Military and Retirees are being cut, these are promises that were made when these men and women enlisted.

yep, plus the retirement system is on the table for changes. The last time they eff'ed that up, the negative impact on retention made them change it back.

You sure didn't join up for the good food and no 18 year old kid worries about a medical plan. Maybe you forgot about patriotism. Personally I'm sick of Veterans whining about lost benefits. Get a freaking job that furnishes benefits like I did.

I have patriotism. My job does furnish benefits you idiot. The complaint is the benefits I signed up with are being taken while I have no option of not working. If I do not fulfill my contractual obligations I go to jail. If America doesn't hold up their end its not a problem so long as the tree hugging campaign gets funded. Trust me guy what you don't want is the battle hardened trained portion of the population too sick of you to defend your sorry ass anymore.

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

I have four months between deployments. On my first tax free deployment I made 27,000 dollars. The reason they justify our pay being low is benefit package. Now they are taking away the benefits and cutting the pay raises for the next 6 years. I don't want to hear any bullshit about cops or firefighters having it bad. The civilian fire fighters we have over here make 6 figures. I mean I got love for them and what they do and nothing but respect. However, they are paid relatively well for what they do. But for 27,000 would you on a daily basis walk around in 130 degree heat in full battle rattle wondering when the first bullet or mortar was gonna hit, while the people of the United States who sent you there vote into office people who are keeping you there and cutting your pay and benefits? I think not.

• Thanks
Reactions: NLT
some join the military cause they cannot make it at anything else.

Sad but true and I did say SOME.
A couple on here come to mind.

I love it when military and politicians who insist on spending cuts and tax breaks for the rich and corporations cries when their cuts result in cuts in military benefits.

Or you said private and public union workers make too much and need to make some sacrafices but now you want to cry that you do too? Waaa!!!!

We told you. It was ok until they came for me, then there was no one left for me to complain to.

The Military has never insisted on spending cuts and tax breaks for any one. Only Congress and the President are involved in the legislative process. Obviously, you do not understand how the Federal Government functions. Where did you ever get the impression that our Armed Forces would ask for spending cuts for themselves.
This is one of the most idiotic statements that I have ever seen.

I have four months between deployments. On my first tax free deployment I made 27,000 dollars. The reason they justify our pay being low is benefit package. Now they are taking away the benefits and cutting the pay raises for the next 6 years. I don't want to hear any bullshit about cops or firefighters having it bad. The civilian fire fighters we have over here make 6 figures. I mean I got love for them and what they do and nothing but respect. However, they are paid relatively well for what they do. But for 27,000 would you on a daily basis walk around in 130 degree heat in full battle rattle wondering when the first bullet or mortar was gonna hit, while the people of the United States who sent you there vote into office people who are keeping you there and cutting your pay and benefits? I think not.

Man Police officers in Oakland make $90,000 a year, LAPD make $75,000 I believe, thats a shit load more than alot of Military salaries. Whats happening here bro is we have a growing disconnect between the Military and private sectors we never had before, in the past we had drafts and alot of people either were in the Military or knew a loved one who fought in Vietnam, Korea etc and had a general idea of how the Military works, we don't have that anymore. People with no relatives or friends in the Military don't know shit about it and try comparing the Military to a civilian job, which is why we are seeing the cuts and things like that, the politicians in charge see the Military as nothing more than a regular 9 to 5 job and are treating it as such.

Man Police officers in Oakland make $90,000 a year, LAPD make $75,000 I believe, thats a shit load more than alot of Military salaries. Whats happening here bro is we have a growing disconnect between the Military and private sectors we never had before, in the past we had drafts and alot of people either were in the Military or knew a loved one who fought in Vietnam, Korea etc and had a general idea of how the Military works, we don't have that anymore. People with no relatives or friends in the Military don't know shit about it and try comparing the Military to a civilian job, which is why we are seeing the cuts and things like that, the politicians in charge see the Military as nothing more than a regular 9 to 5 job and are treating it as such.
Exactly, and what they fail to grasp, having little to no military experience, is that the backbone of the military is not the officer corps, it's the trained NCO's with years of experience. THEY are the people who keep the one or two term enlistees trained and ready; THEY are the one who really teach junior officers how to function as effective leaders (when I was a brand-new 2ndLT, the man who taught me the practical part of how to run an infantry platoon was a SSGT with 12 years of experience-saved me from myself many times) The point is that those NCOs are the people we have to retain,and you don't retain them when you mess with their retirement pay and benefits. You start losing them, in large numbers, and see what kind of force you have without them!

Exactly, and what they fail to grasp, having little to no military experience, is that the backbone of the military is not the officer corps, it's the trained NCO's with years of experience. THEY are the people who keep the one or two term enlistees trained and ready; THEY are the one who really teach junior officers how to function as effective leaders (when I was a brand-new 2ndLT, the man who taught me the practical part of how to run an infantry platoon was a SSGT with 12 years of experience-saved me from myself many times) The point is that those NCOs are the people we have to retain,and you don't retain them when you mess with their retirement pay and benefits. You start losing them, in large numbers, and see what kind of force you have without them!

You pretty much nailed it Gadfly, the NCO Core is the backbone of the Military and unfortunately thats a large chunk of the people getting out, when I separated back in 2007 there was 3 other people getting out with me, 2 were Staff Sergeants and the other was Tech Sergeant (E-6) who had 12 years experience, and was also a trained qualified combat arms instructor.

That's kinda the point of this topic. If the military gets the same benefits for less pay than a civilian, with the chance of being shot at and multiple long tours overseas in some real shitholes, there is no real reason to join the military.

This will affect our military readiness.

I can't tell you how many times I would fantasize about a Pizza Hut pizza or a Whopper with cheese. I would also fantasize about hitting some blacktop back in the states and just doing some night driving. Just moving on down the highway on a smooth road. Or sleeping on a real bed. Or taking a shower, alone. Without shower shoes. With clean water. And no stench in the air. In silence. With as much hot water as I can stand.

People have no clue how good we have it here.

Last edited:
i am beginning to think warrior is not what he says....since he thinks there is no threat to tricare and it has been all over the news and mailers have gone to military families...etc....but since warrior hasnt heard of it..it must not exist or he is not what he says.....i think he is not a vet nor a warrior at all.

What fucking "mailer" are you speaking of?

I get mailers from the VFW, and I get emails from military.com. There are efforts going on right now to decrease active duty and retiree benefits. They are talking about raising the premium payments for Tricare by as much as three times.

And as the caretaker for the person I spoke about, I have also seen prescription co-pays rise by quite a bit in the past few years. And some prescriptions have had their coverage by Tricare dropped entirely. They are also getting real choosy about brand name drugs. For some people, the brand name is the only drug that works, but Tricare forces you to use the generic, which does not always work. So I end up paying the full cost of the brand name out of my own pocket. And that shit is expensive.

Just imagine what that is doing to a brain injured vet who has no one to take care of them.

That's kinda the point of this topic. If the military gets the same benefits for less pay than a civilian, with the chance of being shot at and multiple long tours overseas in some real shitholes, there is no real reason to join the military.

I can't tell you how many times I would fantasize about a Pizza Hut pizza or a Whopper with cheese. I would also fantasize about hitting some blacktop back in the states and just doing some night driving. Just moving on down the highway on a smooth road. Or sleeping on a real bed. Or taking a shower, alone. Without shower shoes. With clean water. And no stench in the air. In silence. With as much hot water as I can stand.

Or showering without hearing someone taking a crap. Or trying to hurry to the shower tent that doesn't have the mold. Or walking out of the shower into the sandstorm asking yourself why didnt I just use the baby wipes. And my personal favorite being home and not having to walk around with the coon eyes from sitting in a turret with G14 classified goggles on all day.

Or showering without hearing someone taking a crap. Or trying to hurry to the shower tent that doesn't have the mold. Or walking out of the shower into the sandstorm asking yourself why didnt I just use the baby wipes. And my personal favorite being home and not having to walk around with the coon eyes from sitting in a turret with G14 classified goggles on all day.

Man when I was deployed I missed being able to have a beer, and have sex with a woman without risking Non Judicial punishment.

U can get a non alcoholic beer and host nation chick. I mean I don't advise pursuing either of the two but they are options none the less.

One more thing. My Congressman busted some serious nuts.

And he's a Democrat. I don't like any of his political ideas, but this guy really worked over the Tricare system to get that cognitive therapy turned on.

I actually got a phone call from a Colonel on the medical review board to offer me his deepest and sincerest apologies after my Congressman get involved.

It was sweeeeeeeeet!

Your Congressman has to respond to a flare sent up by a vet. They all have military affairs staff.

Just so you know.

The only way to protect veteran's EARNED benefits is to send Obama packing in November. Every vet group I am affilitated with plans to do this. It's a MAJOR hot topic and he's not fooling any of us into believing he gives a shit about veterans or those who are currently on active duty + their families.

Hey fuckstick: what does this have to do with Obama? The Republicans control the House, where spending originates.

Instead of trying to pin everything on the Black man in the White House, how about finding out who in Congress has advanced bills that cut Veteran's benefits?

Or is that too much effort, you lazy punk?

U can get a non alcoholic beer and host nation chick. I mean I don't advise pursuing either of the two but they are options none the less.

Well I deployed to Kuwait and Saudi Arabia, they had non alcoholic beers but we were not allowed to have sex, with anyone, at all. Even the married Air Force couples that were deployed together were not allowed to fuck.

The only way to protect veteran's EARNED benefits is to send Obama packing in November. Every vet group I am affilitated with plans to do this. It's a MAJOR hot topic and he's not fooling any of us into believing he gives a shit about veterans or those who are currently on active duty + their families.

I don't trust most politicians to treat vets right. It used to be you could not get elected if you had not served, but now vets in Congress are a tiny minority.

This maltreatment I was speaking of above began before Obama was elected. October 2008.

There is a crack in the Tricare insurance rules. And it would cost about $50 billion to close it.

But goddam it, we paid for those guys to go over there. We need to pay for them to come back. All the way back.

Imagine if your last solid memory is in Iraq or Afghanistan.

Every day you wake up you have to be reminded where you are, and what happened. And when you ask about people you cared about, you have to be told they died. And you grieve their deaths all over again.

That's what these kind of injuries are like.

Thank you. I now await all the flames of BOOOOSH!!! directed at you.

Heh. I don't think I'd been retired for six months when I was at a friend's house party, and some guy started bitching that when he had gone to 7-Eleven at three in the morning they were out of cherry Slurpee.

I nearly popped the bastard. :lol:

I remember when I was a kid, I loved to go to 4th of July parades. And sometimes I would see some men suddenly burst into tears as the flag would pass by. My parents explained to me they were veterans. WWII and Korea were not that far in the past when I was a kid.

I did not understand why these men were so emotional about the flag. A lot of people were actually burning the flag back then, and calling it "just a piece of cloth".

When I joined the military many years later, I did not do it out of patriotism. It just looked like a great way to get a technical education and to see the world. It certainly was not my plan to serve 20 years, but that's what I ended up doing.

Then one day after I retired, I went to a parade.

And the flag went by.

And then I was one of those guys.

Caught me TOTALLY by surprise.

Forum List

Back