Miliary Benefits Are Disappearing

I thought it was just me, but I have met a lot of other military retirees who feel the same way I do about having served for 20 years, which is to say we feel like the world's biggest suckers.

The promises that were made to us are being broken. The "free medical" is not free. If you don't live near a VA hospital, you enroll in Tricare. And Tricare has insurance premiums just like any other health insurance. Sure, it is currently cheaper than a civilian health insurance plan, but there is a movement underway in Congress right now to triple our premiums, and that would demolish any cost advantage to serving 20 of the youngest years of your adult life for medical benefits.

They are also going to do away with the military pension. The reasoning at first sounds logical. A guy who serves four years of active duty who gets sent to combat does not get any kind of retirement plan. A guy who serves 20 years who never went to combat gets a paycheck for the rest of his life.

So the idea is to create a kind of 401-k plan. If you serve only four years, you have a little nest egg when you get out.

But think about that for a minute.

You join the service and after 20 years you get a health benefit identical to a civilian's health benefit. Except you get shot at. And you get paid less.

You join the service and you get a 401-k, just like a civilian. Except you get shot at, and you are paid less.

Why would I join the military?

Oh. Yeah. Patriotism.

Sure.

Ever hear of Tricare Standard or the Thrift Savings Plan? Both have been around for at least 15 years.

I love it when military and politicians who insist on spending cuts and tax breaks for the rich and corporations cries when their cuts result in cuts in military benefits.

Or you said private and public union workers make too much and need to make some sacrafices but now you want to cry that you do too? Waaa!!!!

We told you. It was ok until they came for me, then there was no one left for me to complain to.

What's a Senator make?
What's an E-4 with a wife and two kids make - the active duty one in a combat zone.
You should be ashamed of yourself, you unpatriotic fuck

You are misunderstanding my point. And if you are anti union or a Republican then I am accusing you of being the unpatriotic fuck. I think unions are just as important to middle class America as our soldiers are. Let me explain. America wouldn't be the great place it is today if it weren't for unions. And as we see union membership decline, so does the middle class. Do you like 40 hour work weeks and overtime? Thank a union. How about vacation days and sick days? How about fair and safe labor laws that protect you in the workplace? Unions faught and died for all these things.

And just like there are bad soldiers there are bad union members. Doesn't mean you condemn the whole group.

Are you in the GOP? Thenk you are in favor of breaking unions. Having them pay more for their healthcare? Take away their collective bargaining rights. Take pay cuts so the company/country can be more profitable? Why should they sacrafice and not you? Police should take cuts but not you?

I agree. The Senator makes too much and they didn't go after his pay. They want after teachers, police and firefighters. Same for the Bush tax breaks. Rather than let them expire like they should, they asked teachers and firefighters to pay more. If you are ok with that, then you are the unpatriotic fuck. I don't care if you served or not. You know the few bad apples I mentioned earlier? I would just consider you a bad apple.

And I don't advocate for cutting your benefits. Not unless you are a righty. Then I would say you deserve the cuts because you vote for the wrong party. In other words, serves you right.

The GOP would say you don't deserve anything more than you were promised when you signed up. And even then, you may have to sacrafice just like you are asking others to do when they renig on their pensions ala Bain Capital. No one forced you to sign up. You were paid a wage. Given a break on college, correct?

You know what; in nine years in the army, I did see a few bad soldiers; I have seen a lot more union thugs, though. And as comparing pay and service between first responders and the military, I've done both, and the military pays a lot less, for a lot more risk. That's right a lot more risk- I've run into a burning building, and I've also run into enemy fire-would you care to know which I'd prefer to face? By the way, in my experience, the LEAST professional first responders I've ever seen all worked in unionized departments-I wonder why that is?

Of course, as the words I bolded indicate, this is totally political with you. I can smell a union democrat a mile away, and I already figured you for one-this just confirms it.

I'm not a lifer, but I've known and served with a lot of them, and pal, most of them aren't working 40 hour weeks either; the military doesn't have as many butt jobs as it once did. You just dislike them, because the majority of them do NOT share your political views. Of course, you wouldn't know anything first-hand about any of that, because my guess is, you never served. Now end it, little child, because the MEN here are trying to have a conversation.

yeah we have been getting letters about changes in benefits. Such as pro-rated hazard duty pay. So now if I am in a country where I am getting shot at for a day I get an extra 7 dollars per day instead of the monthly rate we used to get. Don't get me started on tricare and it not even covering vision. But none the less I watch as we increase funding to support the people we are fighting and we send food all throughout Africa and the world sending aid to anyone who asks but oh yeah those military people who defend the shipments deliver the goods and stare down the thugs who would otherwise steal the aid eh we can cut their benefits they don't need them.

You sure didn't join up for the good food and no 18 year old kid worries about a medical plan. Maybe you forgot about patriotism. Personally I'm sick of Veterans whining about lost benefits. Get a freaking job that furnishes benefits like I did.

You sure didn't join up for the good food and no 18 year old kid worries about a medical plan. Maybe you forgot about patriotism. Personally I'm sick of Veterans whining about lost benefits. Get a freaking job that furnishes benefits like I did.

Anybody besides me think this guy has a lot to learn?

I thought it was just me, but I have met a lot of other military retirees who feel the same way I do about having served for 20 years, which is to say we feel like the world's biggest suckers.

The promises that were made to us are being broken....

Imagine if you worked for 20 - 30 years in the private sector where you would have paid into a plan that was robbed blind because certain politicians backed allowing companies to raid pension plans?

Polaroid is one example of a company where families with more than one generation got screwed.

Welcome to America, home of the conservative nitwits who don't know what side their bread is buttered on.

=====================

http://www.barlettandsteele.com/journalism/time_retirement_2.php

...one of thousands of workers at Polaroid Corp.—the Waltham, Mass., maker of instant cameras and film—who, beginning in 1988, gave up 8% of their salary to underwrite an employee stock-ownership plan, or ESOP. It was created to thwart a corporate takeover and "to provide a retirement benefit" to Polaroid employees to supplement their pension, the company pledged. Alas, it was not to be. Polaroid was slow to react to the digital revolution and began to lose money in the 1990s. From 1995 to 1998, the company racked up $ 359 million in losses. As its balance sheet deteriorated, so did the value of its stock, including shares in the ESOP. In October 2001, Polaroid sought bankruptcy protection from creditors.

Last edited:
Besides money and technology, the main thing seperating the US military (all branches) from the rest of the world's militaries is our career personnel. Senior petty officers, Chiefs, NCOs, and SNCOs are not only the backbone of the services, but they are the professional warriors that assure victory and preserves freedom.

The eroding of benefits will affect the quality of the personnel who decide to stay for a career and in turn affect national security. The proposed increase in retirees' health care payments is a kick in the nuts to those who made the decision to stay past 20 years based on future benefits.

People who compare a military career to the toils of life in the union shops of America are only fooling themselves. There is no comparison. The number one constitutional mandate is national security. Caring for those that fullfill that requirement must be accomplished and without whining, crying, and comparing my 26 years to your tough life in the union.

Last edited:
i am beginning to think warrior is not what he says....since he thinks there is no threat to tricare and it has been all over the news and mailers have gone to military families...etc....but since warrior hasnt heard of it..it must not exist or he is not what he says.....i think he is not a vet nor a warrior at all.

What fucking "mailer" are you speaking of?

I don't really give a fuck if you thing\k I am a vet or not.

It's obvious you're not

i have made no claims to be a vet

but it seems i have hit a sore spot with you....

why dont you admit what a fraud you are?

i simply am not running dildos thru the dishwasher........

You should.
It's probably more sanitary than your current method.
Simply inserting into your mouth like a popsicle and wiping off with a napkin just doesn't make it.

now where are all those conservative women who are always upset over sexual attacks?

you really arent much of a man are you? when you have to resort to these types of attacks?

Besides money and technology, the main thing seperating the US military (all branches) from the rest of the world's militaries is our career personnel. Senior petty officers, Chiefs, NCOs, and SNCOs are not only the backbone of the services, but they are the professional warriors that assure victory and preserves freedom.

The eroding of benefits will affect the quality of the personnel who decide to stay for a career and in turn affect national security. The proposed increase in retirees health care payments is a kick in the nuts of those who made decisions to stay past 20 years based on future benefits.

People who compare a military career to the toils of life in the union shops of America are only fooling themselves. There is no comparison. The number one constitutional mandate is national security. Caring for those that fullfill that requirement must be accomplished and without whining, crying, and comparing my 26 years to your tough life in the union.

Precisely why this regime needs to be voted out in November. We saw the same BS under Carter and Clinton. All the Dems do is shit on us and our families. See you in the commissary on Sunday Senior....

no warrior you dont hit a nerve with me...i am quite assured and confident of who i am...unlike you i dont have to pretend to be anything....and who doesnt love your rep comments.....you are so very sad.

no warrior you dont hit a nerve with me...i am quite assured and confident of who i am...unlike you i dont have to pretend to be anything....and who doesnt love your rep comments.....you are so very sad.

Sounds like a whine to me.
How about a tissue?

The eroding of benefits will affect the quality of the personnel who decide to stay for a career and in turn affect national security. The proposed increase in retirees health care payments is a kick in the nuts of those who made decisions to stay past 20 years based on future benefits.

Precisely why this regime needs to be voted out in November. We saw the same BS under Carter and Clinton. All the Dems do is shit on us and our families. See you in the commissary on Sunday Senior....

yep, I'll be glad when they get finished with the expansion though.

Actually, shopping seems to go a lot faster now. I like the way they have it laid out - frozen stuff last. Remember a few weeks ago, before they had produce open and the new entrance - you started off with frozen stuff. I didn't like that arrangement at all.

Actually, shopping seems to go a lot faster now. I like the way they have it laid out - frozen stuff last. Remember a few weeks ago, before they had produce open and the new entrance - you started off with frozen stuff. I didn't like that arrangement at all.

Yep, it's much nicer now. Thank you taxpayers.

The military is voluntary. Nobody is forced to join. You know you are going to "get shot at" when you join. Same with police officers. Firefighters know they are going to run into burning buildings.
But, how much subsidies are "enough"? If someone goes into the military for 3 years are we then supposed to keep that person for the rest of their life? Pay everything from healthcare to their car and mortgage? At what point does the military and perks become something beyond what it is intended and not just another govt dependency plan? None of us have issues with treating our military or soldiers well. We want the best possible equipment and gear and good pay. But, i see politicians using the Military in a way and trying to turn them into another govt dependency group.

This was a very ignorant statement, you should be ashamed of yourself. I know your momma raised you better than this.

The military is voluntary. Nobody is forced to join. You know you are going to "get shot at" when you join. Same with police officers. Firefighters know they are going to run into burning buildings.
But, how much subsidies are "enough"? If someone goes into the military for 3 years are we then supposed to keep that person for the rest of their life? Pay everything from healthcare to their car and mortgage? At what point does the military and perks become something beyond what it is intended and not just another govt dependency plan? None of us have issues with treating our military or soldiers well. We want the best possible equipment and gear and good pay. But, i see politicians using the Military in a way and trying to turn them into another govt dependency group.

Mortage? Car Payment? wtf are you going on about. The military doesnt pay for that. You get a pension and health care, only after serving 20 years or more. Less than that all you get is VA benefits.

Forum List

Back