Michelle Obama: 'It Is Our Responsibility As a Nation' to Remember the Slaves

May 23, 2013, By Susan Jones @ Michelle Obama: 'It Is Our Responsibility As a Nation' to Remember the Slaves | CNS News
First Lady Michelle Obama joins children learning about the Emancipation Proclamation at historic Decatur House in Washington, D.C., on May 22, 2013. (AP Photo)

(CNSNews.com) - In remarks at the historic Decatur House in Washington, D.C., on Wednesday, first lady Michelle Obama remembered the 20 slaves who toiled at the mansion around the corner from the White House, where "some of our nation's foremost leaders" lived and hosted parties.

The stories of those slaves "too often get lost," Mrs. Obama said.

Oh come on! Gimme a break Moochelle. It's been over a hundred years and nobody alive is responsible for it. You and your husband simply cannot stop playing the race card, can you?

:evil:

I am a black man. In my mothers lifetime, she FUCKING COULD NOT VOTE. There were places she was not allowed to eat in. She was treated like a sub human....all here in the fucking United states.

Yes, slavery was a 100 years ago....things that happened after it, not so long ago.

Get it?

Last edited:
May 23, 2013, By Susan Jones @ Michelle Obama: 'It Is Our Responsibility As a Nation' to Remember the Slaves | CNS News

Oh come on! Gimme a break Moochelle. It's been over a hundred years and nobody alive is responsible for it. You and your husband simply cannot stop playing the race card, can you?

What's wrong with what she said? It's a historical fact and it shouldn't be swept under the rug and "sanitized". The things that some people are are pretty funny! :lol:

IMHO, all she was doing is acting upon the sermons she heard for 20 years from Reverend Wright. All Whites are guilty for slavery and should pay for it. :cuckoo:
In her speech, where did Michelle Obama mention whites?

What's wrong with what she said? It's a historical fact and it shouldn't be swept under the rug and "sanitized". The things that some people are are pretty funny! :lol:

IMHO, all she was doing is acting upon the sermons she heard for 20 years from Reverend Wright. All Whites are guilty for slavery and should pay for it. :cuckoo:

But I thought Obama was a muslim?

I love how defensive assholes get when faced with the atrocities of this fucking country. And before you start calling me a communist, fuck you, I served 20 years in the Navy.

Show me a quote from her stating the above.

Well If I mind.
Usually stories about slaves are forgotten. Why is that going on ? Why people invented so many things and why we critacal stopped at some level of. As well as 70-80 % inventors were bored their lives. They want to do something to kill boredom so as well they were boredom as well are theirs invention used today. People today aren't any more bored. There's cinemas, sports activities, a lot of things to do like tweeting, messagin of facebook. Who would be so memorable to take a while time to remember the glory of slaves ?

So, have we pretty much trashed Whitey for the Sins of the Father, and decided that he and his kin should pay Reparations forevermore, beginning with the value of Forty Acres and a Mule, with interest compounded daily, every day between January 16, 1865 (the date Sherman issued Special Field Orders No. 15) and today, and factoring-in per Diem compensation for every day between arrival on the slave-docks and emancipation day, all of it with interest compounded daily, and payable to everyone with even a drop of Negro blood in them, due from every Whitey in the country, regardless of whether their ancestors actually lived in the US at the time of or prior to the Civil War? I mean, that's only fair, right?

What are you babbling about?

Nobody has condemned you and nobody but you said anything about reparations

Slavery was wrong.......Disagree?

I am still in a quandary how the mention by Mrs. Obama, of "Remembering the stories of 20 slaves who worked at the white house" has degenerated into certain individuals feeling to varying degrees that they are being "preached to", "force fed", "shaken down" for reparations by so called "negroes", and "blamed" for slavery.

In her speech, where did Michelle Obama mention whites?

She did not. But I think the issue is that some are so hyper sensitive to the words "slaves" or "slavery" that those words are in the minds of some triggers for being under attack.

Slavery in America wasn't bad because slavery has happened everywhere.

Hiroshima wasn't bad because bombings happen all the time

I've never said the slavery wasn't "bad". I consider it evil.

All I'm saying is that the history of black slavery in America is not unique. Truth.

And rather than consistently focus on the past deeds of those that were ignorant to the evils of slavery in America that we should all focus on slavery world wide in the here and now.

The trade in human flesh be it for labor or for sex is a horrid truth in the present.

Some child today is being traded for money for farm work in China as we type. In Cuba as we are carrying on this conversation, some parent is selling their son or their daughter into the sex trade to be abused by foreign tourists.

It most certainly was.....what other form of slavery kidnapped people in the MILLIONS and shipped them across vast expanses of ocean with the high percentage who died thrown overboard? What other form of slavery took away their native NAMES, RELIGION, CULTURE, LANGUAGE? What other form of slavery based it on race right down to one-drop thru the mother? What other form of slavery had breeding plantations for centuries, sold families apart for centuries?

CENTURIES, really CENTURIES?

The United States was formed in 1775. The end of the Civil War, officially freeing the slaves was 1865. Slavery in the United States existed for less than 100 years. 90 years to be precise.

First Lady Michelle Obama joins children learning about the Emancipation Proclamation at historic Decatur House in Washington, D.C., on May 22, 2013. (AP Photo)

(CNSNews.com) - In remarks at the historic Decatur House in Washington, D.C., on Wednesday, first lady Michelle Obama remembered the 20 slaves who toiled at the mansion around the corner from the White House, where "some of our nation's foremost leaders" lived and hosted parties.

I am a black man. In my mothers lifetime, she FUCKING COULD NOT VOTE. There was places she was not allowed to eat in. She was treated sub human....all here is the fucking United states.

Yes, slavery was a 100 years ago....things that happened after it, not so long ago.

Get it?

Blacks could vote since 1869. Women got the vote in 1920. So was your mother prohibited from voting because she was black, or because like all the other women, including white women, she was female. In their lifetimes, neither my grandmother or mother could vote. Sorry but your complaint is really BFD.

Because of considering American Indian reservations sovereign land and separate entitites American Indians did not get the right to vote in every state until 1962 when New Mexico, the last hold out, granted sufferage.

You're complaining? Seriously? You know it's bullshit. If you didn't know before, you do now. If it wasn't for those white suffragettes taking to the streets, your mother might not be able to vote today.

Last edited:
I've never said the slavery wasn't "bad". I consider it evil.

All I'm saying is that the history of black slavery in America is not unique. Truth.

And rather than consistently focus on the past deeds of those that were ignorant to the evils of slavery in America that we should all focus on slavery world wide in the here and now.

The trade in human flesh be it for labor or for sex is a horrid truth in the present.

Some child today is being traded for money for farm work in China as we type. In Cuba as we are carrying on this conversation, some parent is selling their son or their daughter into the sex trade to be abused by foreign tourists.

It most certainly was.....what other form of slavery kidnapped people in the MILLIONS and shipped them across vast expanses of ocean with the high percentage who died thrown overboard? What other form of slavery took away their native NAMES, RELIGION, CULTURE, LANGUAGE? What other form of slavery based it on race right down to one-drop thru the mother? What other form of slavery had breeding plantations for centuries, sold families apart for centuries?

The United States was formed in 1775. The end of the Civil War, officially freeing the slaves was 1865. Slavery in the United States existed for less than 100 years. 90 years to be precise.

And what year could they finally vote, eat where they wanted to, buy a home where they wanted to, ride in the front of a bus and not give up seats to whites?

I love how slavery is looked at as ancient history. The lasting effects happened in my life time.

Why is this so hard to understand?

I am a black man. In my mothers lifetime, she FUCKING COULD NOT VOTE. There was places she was not allowed to eat in. She was treated sub human....all here is the fucking United states.

Get it?

Blacks could vote since 1869. Women got the vote in 1920. So was your mother prohibited from voting because she was black, or because like all the other women, including white women, she was female. In their lifetimes, neither my grandmother or mother could vote. Sorry but your complaint is really BFD.

Because of considering American Indian reservations sovereign land and separate entitites American Indians did not get the right to vote in every state until 1962 when New Mexico, the last hold out, granted sufferage.

You're complaining? Seriously? You know it's bullshit. If you didn't know before, you do now. If it wasn't for those white suffragettes taking to the streets, your mother might not be able to vote today.

You honestly believe Blacks could vote freely in the 1800's? My god you are either a idiot or a moron. Your choice. Have you ever heard of the Voting rights Act? Why was it needed?

Voting Rights Act, U.S. legislation (Aug. 6, 1965) that aimed to overcome legal barriers at the state and local levels that prevented African Americans from exercising their right to vote under the Fifteenth Amendment (1870) to the Constitution of the United States. The act significantly widened the franchise and is considered among the most far-reaching pieces of civil rights legislation in U.S. history.

The Voting Rights Act eliminated poll taxes and literacy tests.

It's a shame we outlawed literacy tests. They are sorely needed today.

The Voting Rights Act did not give blacks a right to vote that they didn't have. They had the right to vote.

I think what bothers me most is liberals always living in the past.

Why can't they look to the future?

What can we do TODAY to make the future better?

And what year could they finally vote, eat where they wanted to, buy a home where they wanted to, ride in the front of a bus and not give up seats to whites?

I love how slavery is looked at as ancient history. The lasting effects happened in my life time.

Why is this so hard to understand?

You are conflating unlike things. Blacks could vote in 1869. Black women got the vote when white women got the vote. True blacks were denied the right to eat where they wanted, buy a home where they wanted and ride in the front of the bus. But the reasons were NOT because they were slaves. They weren't bought or sold their children were not taken from them.

After the Civil War ended in 1865, blacks occupied a social strata shared by the Irish and Chinese who ALSO could not eat where they wanted, buy a home where they wanted or ride in the front of the bus. In fact, if you look at the historical record, blacks were generally treated much better than the very white Irish (who deserved their ill treatment, but that's beside the point). In 1944 would you be better off black, or Japanese? Answer carefully.

Why is this so hard to understand? Really, why is it so hard to understand. Black people in the United States were subjected to some pretty harsh treatment, but no worse than any other group. They are not special, nor deserving of any special treatment.

Liberals of that day ascribed to a belief system of Social Darwinism.

During the 19th century, European Americans looked more towards the social and natural sciences, rather than interpretations of the Christian bible, to find explanation and justification for their notions of racial superiority and inferiority. With scientific-sounding terminology and evidence, the theory of Social Darwinism applied Darwin’s biological theory to social phenomena. By the end of the century, the theory of Social Darwinism was widely accepted, especially among the middle and upper classes who attended lectures on the subject at libraries and museums, read books purporting the theory in book clubs, and saw posters and exhibits. The theory held strong appeal for European Americans as it offered a scientific explanation for the successes and failures of various groups of people as well as individuals. Another old notion, that of noblesse oblige, also came into play as European Americans sought to bring other “less fortunate” races some of the advantages of European civilization without “polluting” their own gene pool.

This is liberalism as its finest. The golden age of liberalism as it were. These discredited liberal ideas are practiced to this very day with affirmative action programs and welfare. The more black people are infantilized the stronger the liberal belief in social darwinsm. They just aren't good enough to make it. Perfectly competent black people are pigeonholed in an affirmative action token spot and left to languish while liberals shake hands with one another and pat themselves on the back for giving the poor fellow a chance. He needs a chance, because he had an ancestor that may have been a slave. Of course the ancestor may not have been a slave because black immigration didn't end with the Civil War. Plenty of black people came here since and have no antecedents that were ever slaves. But, we must CONSIDER them all slaves. That's the only way social darwinism can work.

Last edited:
Well If I mind.
Usually stories about slaves are forgotten. Why is that going on ? Why people invented so many things and why we critacal stopped at some level of. As well as 70-80 % inventors were bored their lives. They want to do something to kill boredom so as well they were boredom as well are theirs invention used today. People today aren't any more bored. There's cinemas, sports activities, a lot of things to do like tweeting, messagin of facebook. Who would be so memorable to take a while time to remember the glory of slaves ?

So are the cemeteries. I know where there is one. It is mowed and that's all. I had planned to buy a monument to go on it so it would not be forgotten, but after po It's abuse of me (see siggy) on this forum, it will be a cold day in hell when I spend a grand for a monument to go on a slave cemetery. They don't care enough to memorialize it. Why should I.

So none of you rightwingnutters are willing to say slavery was bad and it's good that it is now illegal? Instead your going to justify it???

Jesus wept.

I don't know what all the fuss is about, except that they've figured out they can guilt some whites.

Blacks are STILL widely enslaved, all over the Arab world: you can read about it anywhere. Classic black slavery, children and women captured from villages.

And then there is sex slavery, which is practiced everywhere, white, black, yellow, brown, billions of women and small children bought and sold constantly, smuggled, forced, tortured, controlled, pimped out.

There is slavery going on everywhere. I'd say quit letting these ungrateful blacks guilt anyone. If they don't like America, for goodness sake pay for their ticket back to Malarialand! They can enjoy life there in the jungle or desert without services of any kind until they die of AIDS, like so many in Africa do.

As I recall all the fuss is about the First Lady daring to mention the Slaves that worked at the Decatur House to school children, who were taking part in a re-enactment of the Emancipation Proclamation.

Funny how that brought out a lot of hatred in some folks.

Hatred preceded by ignorance, which is usually the order of progression.

So none of you rightwingnutters are willing to say slavery was bad and it's good that it is now illegal? Instead your going to justify it???

Jesus wept.

I am a right winger and I am not sure where you get the idea that the right wing is not against slavery. Oh right it is the storyline of the true party of slavery the democrat party. The party that refuses to apologize for what their party did to the blacks, from before the civil war until now. The right wing has NOTHING to be ashamed of and I am tired of the liberals and especially democrats rewriting history.

Forum List

Back