LOL: "Coffee Party"

Ah, a few Big Government libs are now attempting to organize a "Coffee Party" in opposition to the grassroots wave of anti-big government populism represented by the Tea Party movement.

Grassroots? :lol:

Activists?

Oh my!

Astroturf vs Paid For by Tom Delay
FreedomWorks' Long History Of Teabagging
By Brian Beutler - April 14, 2009, 1:40PM

We haven't written much about the Tea Party Movement, because it's always seemed fairly blown out of proportion. Conservatives compare it to an anti-tax version of the Iraq war protests, but those protests drew scores of thousands of people into the streets and the "tea parties" that have occurred thus far haven't been nearly that large.

But in recent days, a new angle on this story has emerged--one which casts some doubt on the degree to which these protests are in any way organic. Lee Fang of ThinkProgress and New York Times columnist Paul Krugman have led the charge, calling the tea parties astroturf events--paid for and, perhaps, populated by, well-funded top-down organizations like FreedomWorks and Americans for Prosperity.

Jon Henke of the website The Next Right defended the tea parties from the charge, writing that "[w]hat FreedomWorks and various other organizations are doing is not "astroturf" any more than the anti-war protests of some years back were astroturf because ANSWER and Moveon.org helped organize people around those events."

So one must be well informed to show an interest in the common ground of other people.
Seems to me you are an elitist.

As a genearl rule its a good idea to think things through, do your research, and be thorough before going off on a rant. Otherwise you can get worked up about something that turns out to be nothing at all, or worse, risk a valid point getting lost in the semantics.

I do applaud the passion of the Coffee Party and Tea Party, but a bit of thought ahead of time goes a long way.

Please supply evidence that the actual tea party related organizations called themselves teabaggers.

They were the ones using tea bag as a verb early on. Unfortunately, that's what led to the name teabagger. Kinda like if you swim, you're called a swimmer. Unfortunately for them, the folks using tea bag as a verb didn't know about the double meaning, or if they did, didn't care.

The tea bag was a symbol. It represented a major event that defines our country. They did not refer to themselves as tea baggers.

Only those that opted to be sheep and blindly follow government deemed it appropriate to label them tea baggers.

Uh oh....I feel a "what about Bush and his blind followers" coming on

Please supply evidence that the actual tea party related organizations called themselves teabaggers.

They were the ones using tea bag as a verb early on. Unfortunately, that's what led to the name teabagger. Kinda like if you swim, you're called a swimmer. Unfortunately for them, the folks using tea bag as a verb didn't know about the double meaning, or if they did, didn't care.

No, that is spin.

I got involved in February 2009 - we talked about sending tea bags to the White House and Congress. I never heard any Tea Partiers use the term "teabag".

http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/funnypictures/ig/Funny-Protest-Signs/Teabagging-For-Jesus.htm

This is one of yours, yes?

"The first big day for this movement was Tax Day, April 15. And organizers had a gimmick. They asked people to send a tea bag to the Oval Office. One of the exhortations was “Tea Bag the Fools in D.C.” A protester was spotted with a sign saying, “Tea Bag the Liberal Dems Before They Tea Bag You.” So, conservatives started it: started with this terminology. But others ran with it and ran with it."

Rise of an Epithet by Jay Nordlinger on National Review / Digital

Last edited:
Tea Baggers were called tea bagggers in ridicule day 1
Why must you make that up?
Does it make you feel special?

Of course they were ridiculed from day 1. That was the point. They were clueless to nuance of policies and their own identity.

go figure

So one must be well informed to show an interest in the common ground of other people.
Of course I am an elitist. In the tradition of George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, John Adams, John Hancock, Alexander Hamilton, et al.

What of it? Why do you hate America's traditions and heroes?

As a genearl rule its a good idea to think things through, do your research, and be thorough before going off on a rant. Otherwise you can get worked up about something that turns out to be nothing at all, or worse, risk a valid point getting lost in the semantics.

I do applaud the passion of the Coffee Party and Tea Party, but a bit of thought ahead of time goes a long way.

Nice general statement...and exactly how does it apply to my response to an asshole?

Of course they were ridiculed from day 1. That was the point. They were clueless to nuance of policies and their own identity.

go figure

Of course I am an elitist. In the tradition of George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, John Adams, John Hancock, Alexander Hamilton, et al.

Nice try.....
But poorly done never the less.

The tea bag was a symbol. It represented a major event that defines our country. They did not refer to themselves as tea baggers.

Only those that opted to be sheep and blindly follow government deemed it appropriate to label them tea baggers.

There is a government conspiracy against the tea baggers?:cuckoo:

No, that is spin.

I got involved in February 2009 - we talked about sending tea bags to the White House and Congress. I never heard any Tea Partiers use the term "teabag".

From Wiki:

In a 14 March report on Fox News, Griff Jenkins said, "ReTeaParty.com has a headline, 'Teabag the fools in DC on Tax Day.' They want you ... to take a tea bag, put it an envelope, and mail it to the White House."[17]

Source video link.

There's also this protest sign from an April 15th event in Conn up on Wiki to illustrate that point.

170px-Tea_Party_Protest%2C_Hartford%2C_Connecticut%2C_15_April_2009_-_050.jpg

So it was around as a verb in the movement.

Nice try.....

Showing an interest in things you are ill-informed on can get you into deep doodoo.

Dumbass, they had SIGNS calling themselves teabaggers and were draping teabags all over themselves. Good lord. Remember when Fox got all indignant and printed that "stop picking on us" story? They must have taken it down because I can't find it now. Your beloved "National Review" even admits it...

There is a government conspiracy against the tea baggers?:cuckoo:

Oh. I am so sorry Dante. I did not realize you had a reading comprehension issue.
Let me make this easier for you.

In no way did I imply that there was a government conspiracy against the tea baggers. I was simply referring to the fact that people seem to ridicule those that dont simply follow whatever the government says.

One with the reading ability of a third grader should have not mistaken what I meant.
No one told me that a moderator in here was mentally challanged.

I will use easy words and simple concepts from here on in when in a thread with you.

My sympathies for your condition...but I admire your ability to mainstream yourself.

Nice general statement...and exactly how does it apply to my response to an asshole?

His quote was:

Hey, the tea parties were calling themselves "teabaggers" before they knew what it was. It was only when everyone else started snickering at them that they "shunned" the name. They brought that on themselves. Man, you cons really do have a SERIOUS issue with remembering the past.

go figure

To which you replied by asking:

My point is this: If you want to get worked up, get informed first or risk looking stupid. That isn't an elitist sentiment, that's just good sense.

I'd say that if good sense is considered elitist by Conservatives, that may explain why the GOP keeps right on successfully duping Conservatives to vote for them year after year.

Nice try.....

Showing an interest in things you are ill-informed on can get you into deep doodoo.

Seems you have experience....please....enlighten me

His quote was:

go figure

My point is this: If you want to get worked up, get informed first or risk looking stupid. That isn't an elitist sentiment, that's just good sense.

I'd say that if good sense is considered elitist by Conservatives, that may explain why the GOP keeps right on successfully duping Conservatives to vote for them year after year.

So you are saying that it is "good sense" to wait until you are well informed before informally joining a group of people with similar interest.

Well, with that mindset, sure I see why you say what you say.

But I do not agree with that "good sense"...

But what do I know...I am some rich greedy successful multi buisiness owner with a home, little debt, a nice living, many friends...and blame no one for any of my failures in life......so what the fuck do I know...

His quote was:

So you are saying that it is "good sense" to wait until you are well informed before informally joining a group of people with similar interest.

Well, with that mindset, sure I see why you say what you say.

But I do not agree with that "good sense"...

But what do I know...I am some rich greedy successful multi buisiness owner with a home, little debt, a nice living, many friends...and blame no one for any of my failures in life......so what the fuck do I know...
informally or formally joining a group can get one into trouble. A neonazi or an anarchist could be like minded on one subject, but I'd have to be really informed on what the group was all about before I joined others.

Forum List

Back