Lions were the better team - but they beat themselves

I can't argue that. Also, it will certainly be a more colorful game. The Lions uniforms are rather drab.

Go Chiefs! I really like Coach Andy Reid. He's a cool dude. I wonder when he gave up exercising - and dieting?
Some people still believe that there is a direct correlation with wisdom and belt size ;)

I can't argue that. Also, it will certainly be a more colorful game. The Lions uniforms are rather drab.

Go Chiefs! I really like Coach Andy Reid. He's a cool dude. I wonder when he gave up exercising - and dieting?
I think you have to have started something to give it up dont you? He's never been a small guy.

4th quarter that could have tied the game was the more egregious one
Of the 2 maybe, but I would argue the last time he went for it on 4th down was the worst. In fact he completely mismanaged the last drive down 2 scores. They had the ball in chip shot FG range with over a minute and a half in the game and 3 TO's You kick the FG there. Onside kick, and if you dont get it force SF to get a 1st down to run out the clock. If the D holds up you get the ball with over a minute to play. With that game plan you at least have a shot at tying the game. What the Lions did made the score closer, but with zero chance to actually tie/win the game unless they got the onside which rarely happens.

Even so
He made the wrong decision late in the game. Take the three

He also should have taken a quick field goal late in the game to save time on the clock
By the time he got the touchdown , the game was over
Again, you are assuming Badgely makes the 48 yd kick which is a big assumption. He only kicked a few field goals over 45 yards all year and those were in a dome. He very well could have missed, so adding in the kicker's lack of experience Campbell definitely made the right calls to go for it. Remember he took the short field goal before the half which was a chip shot and the right thing to do.

Again, you are assuming Badgely makes the 48 yd kick which is a big assumption. He only kicked a few field goals over 45 yards all year and those were in a dome. He very well could have missed, so adding in the kicker's lack of experience Campbell definitely made the right calls to go for it. Remember he took the short field goal before the half which was a chip shot and the right thing to do.
Nope. It was the wrong call. It just was. And the outcome of the calls is irrelevant to the discussion of whether it was correct tor not. His lack judgement/understanding in these situations came through on the last drive.

BTW he went for it from the 28 and the 30. Neither of those is longshot FG.

- The Lions were 2nd in 4th down attempts during the regular season. They go for it on 4th down a lot.

- Campbell was in the running for coach of the year.

Looks like a classic case of praising his aggression when it works and blaming him when it doesn’t work.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

It comes down to the probability of a 48 yard FG vs probability of a 4th and three

- The Lions were 2nd in 4th down attempts during the regular season. They go for it on 4th down a lot.

- Campbell was in the running for coach of the year.

Looks like a classic case of praising his aggression when it works and blaming him when it doesn’t work.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

I condemned him when he decided to go for two against the Cowboys also.

Campbell also blew his last possession needing two scores
Poor clock management

He used up too much time trying to get a touchdown. By the time Detroit scored, they did not have enough timeouts (blew one on a goal line run) to allow a second possession if they stopped SF.

He should have kicked a FG on the other side of the two minute warning giving them a chance to use timeouts when SF got the ball

Poor clock management

He used up too much time trying to get a touchdown. By the time Detroit scored, they did not have enough timeouts (blew one on a goal line run) to allow a second possession if they stopped SF.

He should have kicked a FG on the other side of the two minute warning giving them a chance to use timeouts when SF got the ball

They got very close very quickly....that was a tougher choice. Who knows if they could get in TD close range again? They could get into a FG shot much easier than TD range IMVHO.

They got very close very quickly....that was a tougher choice. Who knows if they could get in TD close range again? They could get into a FG shot much easier than TD range IMVHO.
That is where clock management comes in.
As it was, there was not enough time after scoring a TD to get another possession. On side kicks are nearly impossible today.

Poor clock management

After Detroit lost their Mo-Jo in the 2nd half, they couldn't get it back! Those 4th down plays worked before! That was how they got to the Chp. game! The players just didn't execute when it counted! :nono: :eek::rolleyes:

Recovering an onside kick is an extreme long shot. Stopping someone for a three and out is done multiple times a game.

Recovering an onside kick is an extreme long shot. Stopping someone for a three and out is done multiple times a game.

Big guy stepped out of bounds by 4", they were DakPrescotted. They had 10 bad breaks on them. It just snowballed after they dropped 4th and 2 pass leading (24-7). Take away any one of the big breaks and the game changes.

On a side note: KC rushed Lamar with not much escape route. Planned, experienced line. DET let Purdy run all over them. Those are included in the "bad breaks". You can't leave the middle wide open every time.

Side note 2: when "she" yells OMG up in the luxury box my nutsack tingles.

Side note 3: Don't get me wrong. I had a big bet on DET to win. I was not happy with them. But I made enough other Bets at DET +3.5 and prop bets and over 21 pts etc. That I came out ahead. But as always.....it was a nail biter to the end.

Last edited:
After Detroit lost their Mo-Jo in the 2nd half, they couldn't get it back! Those 4th down plays worked before! That was how they got to the Chp. game! The players just didn't execute when it counted! :nono: :eek::rolleyes:

That is what it came down to
Detroit laughing and dancing at the half when they were up 17.

Once they screwed up and allowed SF to tie the game you could see the whole Detroit sideline in shock.

Hard to come back

Nope. It was the wrong call. It just was. And the outcome of the calls is irrelevant to the discussion of whether it was correct tor not. His lack judgement/understanding in these situations came through on the last drive.

BTW he went for it from the 28 and the 30. Neither of those is longshot FG.
Neither is a chipshot either, especially given the pressure and the fact as I stated Badgely has had very few field goal attempts outdoors. If you and the others want to beat up Campbell go ahead. I think the coach that screwed up was Harbaugh, he had all the advantages, his game plan stunk and he did not have his guys ready.

Neither is a chipshot either, especially given the pressure and the fact as I stated Badgely has had very few field goal attempts outdoors. If you and the others want to beat up Campbell go ahead. I think the coach that screwed up was Harbaugh, he had all the advantages, his game plan stunk and he did not have his guys ready.

The Ravens played sloppy
Too many major penalties and too many turnovers

I condemned him when he decided to go for two against the Cowboys also.
It’s easy to condemn him on his decisions when they don’t work.

I didn’t see people condemning his decisions when they do work.

He has been doing this all year. Now it’s an issue?

Lions Coach Tells Team Awful Truth About Future Chance Of Getting To Super Bowl​

Dan Campbell's brutal honesty might not have been the way to go after Detroit lost to San Francisco in the NFC Championship Game.

Detroit Lions Coach Dan Campbell gave his club the unvarnished reality Sunday after losing to the San Francisco 49ers in the NFC Championship Game. (Watch the video below.)

The Lions fell one victory short of the Super Bowl and remain one of four teams in the NFL to never advance that far. Campbell didn’t seem too optimistic about Detroit’s future chances.

“I told those guys, this may have been our only shot,” Campbell said to reporters. “Do I think that? No. ... However, I know how hard it is to get here. I’m well aware. And it’s gonna be twice as hard to get back to this point next year than it was this year.”

Forum List

Back