Lions were the better team - but they beat themselves

Lions go for it on 4th down. Reynolds doesn’t drop it. Lions maybe go on to win the game.

Does Campbell still take criticism for that call if Lions convert on it? I don’t think so. C’mon now.

Lions Coach Tells Team Awful Truth About Future Chance Of Getting To Super Bowl​

Dan Campbell's brutal honesty might not have been the way to go after Detroit lost to San Francisco in the NFC Championship Game.

Detroit Lions Coach Dan Campbell gave his club the unvarnished reality Sunday after losing to the San Francisco 49ers in the NFC Championship Game. (Watch the video below.)

The Lions fell one victory short of the Super Bowl and remain one of four teams in the NFL to never advance that far. Campbell didn’t seem too optimistic about Detroit’s future chances.

“I told those guys, this may have been our only shot,” Campbell said to reporters. “Do I think that? No. ... However, I know how hard it is to get here. I’m well aware. And it’s gonna be twice as hard to get back to this point next year than it was this year.”

He's lighting the fire for next year. They surpassed expectations and played a heavily favored 49ers team straight up in the championship game. If you want to beat up a coach for a crappy championship, beat up Harbaugh.

An Emotional Dan Campbell Explains Why Lions Passed Up Field Goals for Fourth-Down Attempts​

Lions coach Dan Campbell's unwillingness to stray from his philosophy of remaining aggressive on fourth down proved costly during the game, as the Lions failed on two fourth-down attempts while in field-goal range during the second half.

The Detroit Lions saw a 17-point lead slip away as they lost in devastating fashion during Sunday’s NFC championship against the San Francisco 49ers.

After the game, an emotional Campbell addressed the media, and was quickly asked a question about his aggressive play-calling in those key fourth-down situations.

Campbell, fighting back tears, told explained his stance, saying that he’s aware he’ll face scrutiny for his decisions, but has no regrets over the play calls.

“I just felt good about us converting, getting our momentum, and not letting them play long ball," Campbell said of the decision to go for it in the fourth quarter. “They were bleeding the clock out, that’s what they do.

“You know, I wanted to get the upper hand back.”

An Emotional Dan Campbell Explains Why Lions Passed Up Field Goals for Fourth-Down Attempts

His "philosophy" fucked them out of the Super Bowl.

Last edited:
It’s easy to condemn him on his decisions when they don’t work.

I didn’t see people condemning his decisions when they do work.

He has been doing this all year. Now it’s an issue?

I have no idea what "people did all year".

I Didn't watch the Lions all year.

The Lions pissed away a 17-point lead - so Coach Campbell tried to regain it aggressively/quickly instead of patiently and methodically. He had a team that could do that.

The Lions have the second most 4th down attempts in the league.

Campbell was one of the finalists for coach of the year.

And in the end he will be known for a huge choke in the NFC championship game.

Another thing I will never understand and it's not something that happened just in this game, The Lions ran 21 times for 148 yards in the first half and then only ran 8 for 36 yards.

Neither is a chipshot either, especially given the pressure and the fact as I stated Badgely has had very few field goal attempts outdoors. If you and the others want to beat up Campbell go ahead. I think the coach that screwed up was Harbaugh, he had all the advantages, his game plan stunk and he did not have his guys ready.

Ill just leave this here…….

Inside 50 yds the NFL average is 75% success rate. He should have kicked the FG. Period.

The Lions pissed away a 17-point lead - so Coach Campbell tried to regain it aggressively/quickly instead of patiently and methodically. He had a team that could do that.
Classic Monday Morning quarterback. One more time, if Campbell makes different decisions then the Niners make different decisions. going for field goals guarantees nothing.

Lions go for it on 4th down. Reynolds doesn’t drop it. Lions maybe go on to win the game.

Does Campbell still take criticism for that call if Lions convert on it? I don’t think so. C’mon now.
Yes by anyone who knows anything about football yes he does.

It was a stupid decision regardless of the outcome. Where it really showed up was the end of this game.

As well as the end of the Cowboys game.

Classic Monday Morning quarterback. One more time, if Campbell makes different decisions then the Niners make different decisions. going for field goals guarantees nothing.
I think Detroit was mentally beaten when they blew a 17 point lead.
I think SF would have won anyway at that point

Doesnt negate bad coaching decisions

Its a bad decision regardless of which day if the week it is.

And by the way, analytics gives a slight edge for Campbells' decision to go for it. The bottom line is there was no obvious right or wrong way to go, the momentum of the game was totally on the Niners' sideline. Maybe it goes to OT if they kick the field goal.

And by the way, analytics gives a slight edge for Campbells' decision to go for it. The bottom line is there was no obvious right or wrong way to go, the momentum of the game was totally on the Niners' sideline. Maybe it goes to OT if they kick the field goal.

Analytics only take into consideration numbers in a very limited scenario. It doesn't take into consideration the mental aspects. A huge stop pumps up one team and can deflate the other.

Analytics is why Brock Purdy was picked last in the draft because it is unable to measure anything but numbers.

And in the end he will be known for a huge choke in the NFC championship game.

Another thing I will never understand and it's not something that happened just in this game, The Lions ran 21 times for 148 yards in the first half and then only ran 8 for 36 yards.
And if Reynolds catches it, and the Lions go on to win the game, Campbell wouldn’t be criticized for that decision.

Like I said, he gets praised for the decision when it goes in his favor and he gets blamed for the decision when it goes against his favor. Can’t have it both ways.

Forum List

Back