Lions were the better team - but they beat themselves

In the 1970s, coaches almost never went for it on 4th down. I remember many times when it was 4th and goal at the 1 or 2, and they kicked the field goal.
1952 Rose Bowl, Wisconsin vs USC. I remember my dad yelling at the radio "Kick a field goal". Wisconsin was in FG range several times but failed to score or convert on several 4th downs. If they had made just three FGs they would have won the game.

He took the Lions to the NFC Championship game by being aggressive. They hadn't won a single playoff game in over 30 years. He's a great coach and his players love him, you guys don't know what you are talking about. Detroit had a great season and Campbell turned them around.
It was 100% the wrong call. There is a time and place for being aggressive and that wasn’t it. He actually made 3 bad decisions on 4th down the last one at the end he should have kicked the FG instead of going for it. It’s just dumb, and it cost them a trip to the SB.

That said SF was insanely lucky in that game.

Dan Campbell's play calling on 4th down should teach him there are limits to going for it on 4th down, he is going to have to learn when to go and when not to go, his decisions cost this team dearly.

Here is a crazy stat from the game, when both QB's felt pressure, the Lions had -13 yards on 10 pressures, and the 49ers had 127 yards on 15 pressures. Purdy also played, statistically, almost a perfect 2nd half. Can Tua and Dak and Herbert step up when needed late in a big game? Purdy certainly did. Makes me think Purdy will be a good QB now for years to come.

It was 100% the wrong call. There is a time and place for being aggressive and that wasn’t it. He actually made 3 bad decisions on 4th down the last one at the end he should have kicked the FG instead of going for it. It’s just dumb, and it cost them a trip to the SB.

Luck and mistakes by the Lions. The first half the Lions put a clinic on. They petered out at the end of the first half when they got a field goal as a drive stalled. The second half was much different for much of it.

You are drawing a false conclusion that many sports fans make. If you change Campbells' decisions, then the events following will not be the same. The outcome of the game may or may not be the same. The Lions represented themselves very well and Campbell is the reason why they were where they were.

You are drawing a false conclusion that many sports fans make. If you change Campbells' decisions, then the events following will not be the same. The outcome of the game may or may not be the same. The Lions represented themselves very well and Campbell is the reason why they were where they were.
Even so
He made the wrong decision late in the game. Take the three

He also should have taken a quick field goal late in the game to save time on the clock
By the time he got the touchdown , the game was over

Not going for that field goal was purely stupid

Even so
He made the wrong decision late in the game. Take the three

He also should have taken a quick field goal late in the game to save time on the clock
By the time he got the touchdown , the game was over

Exactly
No. Even if they convert those 4th downs it’s the wrong call. It just is.

He thinks he is smarter than football. You always go up three scores when you get the chance in the situation they were in. If you fail in week 8 there is always week 9. There is no more football for these Lions.

The coach is partially to blame for not taking a couple field goals. There were a few other blunders. They beat themselves.

The San Francisco 49ers rallied from 17 points down at halftime to beat the Detroit Lions and reach the Super Bowl.

SUPER BOWL MATCH-UP SET
Detroit had a dominating and much better first half… but SFs stellar defense did not show up. They did in the second half when they shut them out.

Baltimore and SF are the two best teams this year. IMO

KC vs SF will be a great SB

He took the Lions to the NFC Championship game by being aggressive. They hadn't won a single playoff game in over 30 years. He's a great coach and his players love him, you guys don't know what you are talking about. Detroit had a great season and Campbell turned them around.
I agree… but they should have kicked that 47 yarder in the 4th. There’s aggressive and there’s reckless.

In that situation you take the points 100% of the time unless you really don’t trust your kicker
I agree
I have seen situations with severe weather or an injured kicker where you go for a 4th and three

I think it was arrogance on the part of the Lions coach after his team did what they wanted in the first half

It's not who Dan Campbell is, and a pressure 47 yarder is not a slam dunk either.
Ok well Dan Campbell is a moron who shouldn’t be a NFL HC then. All 3 instances of him going for it on 4th down were the wrong call. The most egregious was the last one. If they don’t get it the game is over, literally. He should have kicked the FG long before that to save clock and TOs to force SF to get a 1st down if you don’t get the on side. It’s not even high level coaching. It’s just basic clock management

Detroit had a dominating and much better first half… but SFs stellar defense did not show up. They did in the second half when they shut them out.

Baltimore and SF are the two best teams this year. IMO

KC vs SF will be a great SB

I can't argue that. Also, it will certainly be a more colorful game. The Lions uniforms are rather drab.

Go Chiefs! I really like Coach Andy Reid. He's a cool dude. I wonder when he gave up exercising - and dieting?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back