Lions were the better team - but they beat themselves

1706499904502.png

Detroit Lions Coach Dan Campbell needs to do some serious soul-searching.

He took the Lions to the NFC Championship game by being aggressive. They hadn't won a single playoff game in over 30 years. He's a great coach and his players love him, you guys don't know what you are talking about. Detroit had a great season and Campbell turned them around.

The loss is absolutely on Campbell. He thinks he is smarter than football. He is not. You take the points.

Well he'd be a genius if it all worked out! Even Belicheat went on 4th down & 2 w/ Brady inside their own territory in a game vs Manning on MNF! It's always brilliant if it works; if not it was the stupidest call ever made in coaching history! Detroit just forgot how to score in the 2nd half! :eek: :rolleyes: :heehee: :stir:

Hindsight is 20/20. But I really don’t think this should take away from what Campbell has accomplished this year. He is a hell of a coach, and it was great to see him give Detroit what they hadn’t seen in forever.

If we hadn’t have won, I’d be rooting for them.

He took the Lions to the NFC Championship game by being aggressive. They hadn't won a single playoff game in over 30 years. He's a great coach and his players love him, you guys don't know what you are talking about. Detroit had a great season and Campbell turned them around.

The Lions won't allow Minn. & GB to own the NFC North Div.! That'll be good to see even though a Chicagoan here! I was happy Detroit was competitive at least! ;):nono::eek::rolleyes::stir:

Well he'd be a genius if it all worked out! Even Belicheat went on 4th down & 2 w/ Brady inside their own territory in a game vs Manning on MNF! It's always brilliant if it works; if not it was the stupidest call ever made in coaching history! Detroit just forgot how to score in the 2nd half! :eek: :rolleyes: :heehee: :stir:

It's more than not taking the points. It's the fact everyone knows he isn't going to take the points and play 3rd down like it's 2nd down.

The coach is partially to blame for not taking a couple field goals. There were a few other blunders. They beat themselves.

The San Francisco 49ers rallied from 17 points down at halftime to beat the Detroit Lions and reach the Super Bowl.

SUPER BOWL MATCH-UP SET
The game turned on a freak pass reception, a fumble, and a 4th down stop by SF.

Last edited:
Hindsight is 20/20. But I really don’t think this should take away from what Campbell has accomplished this year. He is a hell of a coach, and it was great to see him give Detroit what they hadn’t seen in forever.

If we hadn’t have won, I’d be rooting for them.

Exactly. Coach didn’t drop all those passes in that bad stretch or bounce balls off facemasks, or fumble either. Yes a FG would be nice but so be it.

UGH! 49rs did not outplay GB or DET but won both.

The Lions won't allow Minn. & GB to own the NFC North Div.! That'll be good to see even though a Chicagoan here! I was happy Detroit was competitive at least! ;):nono::eek::rolleyes::stir:
Maybe not but their road back to the Super Bowl just got a lot tougher,those two teams may not win the division but they are going to be better next year,love in his second year the packers will only improve and Goff is not an elite quarterback either,thete is no guarantee they will have two playoff games at home again next year where they play better or they will have as good a record next year.they may never come this close again fir a long time,their Super Bowl window could easily have just got shut with this loss for several years to come.

In the 1970s, coaches almost never went for it on 4th down. I remember many times when it was 4th and goal at the 1 or 2, and they kicked the field goal.

Sometimes, coaches like Chuck Knox would kick the ball away on 4th down even though losing at the time! It would have t/b w/i the 2 min. warning for him to attempt a play even 4th & 1! It was sad to see! :nono: :eek:

Forum List

Back