Let’s Give Up on the Constitution

By usurping the Constitution in this matter they further reduce our freedom to one of being a subject, a number, a mere revenue stream.

Just what freedoms are you being denied? So you only have the freedom to be a subject now, how utterly wrong and alarmist.
well I dont have the freedom to pick and choose how when where and by who I get my healthcare,,,

I dont have the freedom to choose how and with what I am allowed to defend myself from a corrupt government

those are just starters and are supported by both partys

so we have a constitution to protect our rights and freedoms but we can just make up laws that COUNTER those rights and freedoms and that is ok with you?

I can shout "America is the greatest because we have rights and freedoms!"

and really really mean it and believe it!

and then I can start making lists of things that nobody should have the freedom to do.

Are YOU a conservative?

Are laws against tobacco unconstitutional?
isn't that anti-freedom?

Congress and the state legislatures make laws. The Supreme Courts, both state and federal declare them constitutional or not. You are resorting to placing words in poster's mouths to appear to win. A clear sign of losing.

Does it not seem wise to have laws against things that kill people? Go ahead, explain why laws against tobacco are unconstitutional...

so we have a constitution to protect our rights and freedoms but we can just make up laws that COUNTER those rights and freedoms and that is ok with you?

I can shout "America is the greatest because we have rights and freedoms!"

and really really mean it and believe it!

and then I can start making lists of things that nobody should have the freedom to do.

Are YOU a conservative?

Are laws against tobacco unconstitutional?
isn't that anti-freedom?

Congress and the state legislatures make laws. The Supreme Courts, both state and federal declare them constitutional or not. You are resorting to placing words in poster's mouths to appear to win. A clear sign of losing.

Does it not seem wise to have laws against things that kill people? Go ahead, explain why laws against tobacco are unconstitutional...
as to tabacco the burden of proof falls on those that say its constitutional

By usurping the Constitution in this matter they further reduce our freedom to one of being a subject, a number, a mere revenue stream.

Just what freedoms are you being denied? So you only have the freedom to be a subject now, how utterly wrong and alarmist.

Psssfttt. The Imperial dungeon is full of those who dare to defy the Federal WOD decrees.

Psssfttt. The Imperial dungeon is full of those who dare to defy the Federal WOD decrees.

You need to take a break from fantasy games.

"AS the nation teeters at the edge of fiscal chaos, observers are reaching the conclusion that the American system of government is broken. But almost no one blames the culprit: our insistence on obedience to the Constitution, with all its archaic, idiosyncratic and downright evil provisions."

snip....

"This is not to say that we should disobey all constitutional commands. Freedom of speech and religion, equal protection of the laws and protections against governmental deprivation of life, liberty or property are important, whether or not they are in the Constitution. We should continue to follow those requirements out of respect, not obligation."

snip....

"If even this change is impossible, perhaps the dream of a country ruled by “We the people” is impossibly utopian. If so, we have to give up on the claim that we are a self-governing people who can settle our disagreements through mature and tolerant debate. But before abandoning our heritage of self-government, we ought to try extricating ourselves from constitutional bondage so that we can give real freedom a chance."

Opinion | Let’s Give Up on the Constitution

Older piece but still relevant. Don't like the rules?
Change them.

The consitution has ways "out" built in, The amendment process, either via the legislature/states or the States themselves via Article 5 Conventions.

I know how it works, I'm a strict Constitutionalist. The Left screams get rid of it every time they lose an election.
Our Constitution is too complicated for the right wing. The right wing, never gets it.

we try to dumb it down, whenever we can.

Indeed. Tell me what the Second Amendment says. What it means. Tell me about the Kelo decision, where did the Founders indicate that it was their intent to allow private property to be seized in order to increase the tax base of a city.

I am sure you can dumb it down for me and be factually correct. Explain why Civil Asset Forfeiture does not violate the Fifth Amendment.

LOL

Yes, by voting to open the govt. So aggressive. :laugh2:

Like I said, you don't even see it.

The government is open, nonessential services are closed. Democrats aren't even in D.C. most of the last month.

CBP is a non- essential service during a "national emergency" at the border?

The continued erosion of constitutional norms is actually a tactic employed by conservatives and used to erode trust in govt.

As we can see, it works well.

You need to take a break from fantasy games.

Unfortunately, it's not a fantasy, for some it's a nightmare.

Amount spent annually in the U.S. on the war on drugs: $47+ billion

Number of arrests in 2017 in the U.S. for drug law violations: 1,632,921

Number of drug arrests that were for possession only: 1,394,514 (85.4 percent)

Number of people arrested for a marijuana law violation in 2017: 659,700

Number of those charged with marijuana law violations who were arrested for possession only: 599,282 (90.8 percent)

Drug War Statistics

"AS the nation teeters at the edge of fiscal chaos, observers are reaching the conclusion that the American system of government is broken. But almost no one blames the culprit: our insistence on obedience to the Constitution, with all its archaic, idiosyncratic and downright evil provisions."

snip....

"This is not to say that we should disobey all constitutional commands. Freedom of speech and religion, equal protection of the laws and protections against governmental deprivation of life, liberty or property are important, whether or not they are in the Constitution. We should continue to follow those requirements out of respect, not obligation."

snip....

"If even this change is impossible, perhaps the dream of a country ruled by “We the people” is impossibly utopian. If so, we have to give up on the claim that we are a self-governing people who can settle our disagreements through mature and tolerant debate. But before abandoning our heritage of self-government, we ought to try extricating ourselves from constitutional bondage so that we can give real freedom a chance."

Opinion | Let’s Give Up on the Constitution

Older piece but still relevant. Don't like the rules?
Change them.

We flushed the Constitution down the toilet long ago.

LOL

Yes, by voting to open the govt. So aggressive. :laugh2:

Like I said, you don't even see it.

The government is open, nonessential services are closed. Democrats aren't even in D.C. most of the last month.

CBP is a non- essential service during a "national emergency" at the border?

The continued erosion of constitutional norms is actually a tactic employed by conservatives and used to erode trust in govt.

As we can see, it works well.

You think CBP is not open today? ":lol:

I am sorry, I just can't bring myself to argue with someone so stupid any more today.

Conservatives are at liberty to give up on the Constitution if they so desire; the rest of America will continue to acknowledge the Constitution, its case law, and the principles it enshrines.

Indeed, to listen to most on the right, conservatives have already abandoned the Founding Document, given their unwarranted hostility toward the rights and protected liberties of all persons living in the United States.

Number of those charged with marijuana law violations who were arrested for possession only: 599,282 (90.8 percent)

Drug War Statistics

So what is your answer?

Allow all drugs without controls?

Conservatives are at liberty to give up on the Constitution if they so desire; the rest of America will continue to acknowledge the Constitution, its case law, and the principles it enshrines.

Indeed, to listen to most on the right, conservatives have already abandoned the Founding Document, given their unwarranted hostility toward the rights and protected liberties of all persons living in the United States.

It was one of your comrades that suggested it idiot. Illegals have the right to be prosecuted under the full extent of the law. Liberals have and do support illegal activities.

Drug War Statistics

So what is your answer?

Allow all drugs without controls?

Of course, and free too. </sarcasm>

Dims wipe their asses on the Constitution daily.

The opinion piece was written in 2012. You mentioned it was an older piece. The writer of the piece was wrong. The constitution has a mechanism for amendments. The Constitution has proven very adaptable because it was written as a political document and not an economic one. Strict constructionism has always been a joke to me because the founding fathers could not agree as to what the document meant, but we are to read their minds today. The Constitution is a lIving document and that is why it still matters 200 plus years later.

Nobody ever even heard the term "living document" until Woodrow Wilson" coined it. Is not a "living document" by the way.

Forum List

Back