Let’s Give Up on the Constitution

"AS the nation teeters at the edge of fiscal chaos, observers are reaching the conclusion that the American system of government is broken. But almost no one blames the culprit: our insistence on obedience to the Constitution, with all its archaic, idiosyncratic and downright evil provisions."

snip....

"This is not to say that we should disobey all constitutional commands. Freedom of speech and religion, equal protection of the laws and protections against governmental deprivation of life, liberty or property are important, whether or not they are in the Constitution. We should continue to follow those requirements out of respect, not obligation."

snip....

"If even this change is impossible, perhaps the dream of a country ruled by “We the people” is impossibly utopian. If so, we have to give up on the claim that we are a self-governing people who can settle our disagreements through mature and tolerant debate. But before abandoning our heritage of self-government, we ought to try extricating ourselves from constitutional bondage so that we can give real freedom a chance."

Opinion | Let’s Give Up on the Constitution

Older piece but still relevant. Don't like the rules?
Change them.

We did fine for the 18th, 19th an most of the 20th Centuries, then in the 90's Newt Gingrich fucked up everything by making compromise and civil discourse obsolete.

Then in the 21st Century, a country already divided on ideology, became toxic when Trump made bigotry - racism and misogyny - acceptable; he and he alone released hate and fear out of the closet and people like Mindwars who have no moral compass proudly use the salute of Nazi Germany.

You have the issues correct, you are however quite myopic on the players. You should expand your charges to include more of the offenders.

There are many offenders, mostly they are as biddable as lemmings, however, history, which to me was a current event, is as I posted.

Gingrich made politics toxic, honest debate is met with character attacks and half a dozen logical fallacies, hyperbole and naked hate. Trump can only be described as cruel and evil. He has no capacity for empathy or even sympathy. And the lemmings who support him must also lack these basic human ethos.

"Let's give up on the constitution"

c00cc3b9e6d25ff3567777502d6db007.jpg

"AS the nation teeters at the edge of fiscal chaos, observers are reaching the conclusion that the American system of government is broken. But almost no one blames the culprit: our insistence on obedience to the Constitution, with all its archaic, idiosyncratic and downright evil provisions."

snip....

"This is not to say that we should disobey all constitutional commands. Freedom of speech and religion, equal protection of the laws and protections against governmental deprivation of life, liberty or property are important, whether or not they are in the Constitution. We should continue to follow those requirements out of respect, not obligation."

snip....

"If even this change is impossible, perhaps the dream of a country ruled by “We the people” is impossibly utopian. If so, we have to give up on the claim that we are a self-governing people who can settle our disagreements through mature and tolerant debate. But before abandoning our heritage of self-government, we ought to try extricating ourselves from constitutional bondage so that we can give real freedom a chance."

Change them.

We did fine for the 18th, 19th an most of the 20th Centuries, then in the 90's Newt Gingrich fucked up everything by making compromise and civil discourse obsolete.

Then in the 21st Century, a country already divided on ideology, became toxic when Trump made bigotry - racism and misogyny - acceptable; he and he alone released hate and fear out of the closet and people like Mindwars who have no moral compass proudly use the salute of Nazi Germany.

You have the issues correct, you are however quite myopic on the players. You should expand your charges to include more of the offenders.

There are many offenders, mostly they are as biddable as lemmings, however, history, which to me was a current event, is as I posted.

Gingrich made politics toxic, honest debate is met with character attacks and half a dozen logical fallacies, hyperbole and naked hate. Trump can only be described as cruel and evil. He has no capacity for empathy or even sympathy. And the lemmings who support him must also lack these basic human ethos.

Nope, sorry. I understand that your partisanship only allows you to see things the way they might support partisan pre-disposition.

snip....

snip....

Change them.

Oh! Teh snowflake virtue signals! Pwahahahahaha! What, you thought you could sophisticate your way into fooling people into thinking you're some kind of red-blooded American and not a Communist?

LOL, you a tough guy eh? You seem to have comprehension issues, quite common for the ill-educated.

There ain't a damn thing wrong with my comprehension you purposely ambiguous faggot Commie lemming!

Of course there is, you don't have any.You have simply made up a conclusion not based on any facts.

Oh! Teh snowflake virtue signals! Pwahahahahaha! What, you thought you could sophisticate your way into fooling people into thinking you're some kind of red-blooded American and not a Communist?

LOL, you a tough guy eh? You seem to have comprehension issues, quite common for the ill-educated.

There ain't a damn thing wrong with my comprehension you purposely ambiguous faggot Commie lemming!

Of course there is, you don't have any.You have simply made up a conclusion not based on any facts.

Mmkkay, cupcake. :rolleyes: :itsok:

I observed your OP, later posts, and linked article, and drew my conclusions from the evidence presented. :)

Last edited:

Mmkkay, cupcake. :rolleyes: :itsok:

I observed your OP, later posts, and linked article, and drew my conclusions from the evidence presented. :)

I'm afraid that if that's the conclusion you arrived at are an illiterate bumpkin.

LOL

Yes, by voting to open the govt. So aggressive. :laugh2:

Like I said, you don't even see it.

The government is open, nonessential services are closed. Democrats aren't even in D.C. most of the last month.

CBP is a non- essential service during a "national emergency" at the border?

The continued erosion of constitutional norms is actually a tactic employed by conservatives and used to erode trust in govt.

As we can see, it works well.

Pfui. The problem is that nobody, right or left, understands what the hell the Constitution was intended to be. Let’s take the Bill of Rights. Written in the same style as the Ten Commandments, they outlined things the Government can not do. Not to be decided on appeal, or whenever the Courts get around to it. But written as Thou Shall NOT!

The First Amendment does not say that the Supreme Court, upon review of the applicable facts, shall determine any law passed by Congress, and either signed by the President, or though an override of the Veto, to be void and unconstitutional if it abridges freedom of speech, religion, press, or the right to peaceably assemble..... I’m stopping here for brevity.

It says Congress shall not.

The Third Amendment. It doesn’t say unless they feel like it. It says that The Army Shall Not.

The problem is that we have ignored this for so long that the amendments are nearly meaningless. We came up with exceptions, and those exceptions instead of being rare, were the foundation of other exceptions, which became the foundation for others. Look we were told, we already allow this, we have to allow that too don’t we? No, we don’t.

The right to be secure in your person and papers is absolute. Unless the cop has probable cause, which can be a hunch. Or unless you are within 100 miles of a border, in which case for National Security, the CBP can inspect any old thing they want. Or unless we can come up with another excuse.

The Constitution was purposely written in simple language, so that everyone could understand it. It was not written so only Lawyers could comprehend the words. It was written in simple English. Thou Shall Not.

The problems come about because we are more than two centuries down the road of finding excuses and exceptions. Of rewarding pathological liars of our chosen party, while denigrating the pathological liars of the other party. We accept it when the Courts rule that we don’t have the right despite the plain and simple language of the document saying we do. What right does the US Government have to regulat prescription drugs? Why, interstate Commerce. You see, the drugs cross interstate lines, and that is all about the Feds. Most of the departments and divisions fall under Interstate Commerce, which should give you a hell of a pause right there.

I agreed with the Republicans during the Obamacare debate that my medical care should be up to me and my Doctor. Nobody else should even notice it. But they do. And now, the Republicans, forgetting that they totally supported the Doctors, supposedly, before, now are running around and busting Doctors for treating patients in a way not approved by the DEA or FDA. Nuts. The liars of one party are not superior to the liars of the other.

The Damned Democrats are silent about it too. They like the idea of more control. The Republicans want to punish people who break their laws and regulations, and the Democrats want more control over everything. Both are the same, and useless.

The problem is not that the Conservatives don’t understand the Constitution. The problem is that all of us suffer from one massive egotistical failure. We think we know what is best for everyone, and we believe we have the duty to pass a law to force them to do what we say. If the Constitution gets in the way, the Constitution is wrong, or old, or obsolete, or even archaic.

Nobody reads the Constitution and sees it as the simple document it is. Thou Shall Not.

LOL

Yes, by voting to open the govt. So aggressive. :laugh2:

Like I said, you don't even see it.

The government is open, nonessential services are closed. Democrats aren't even in D.C. most of the last month.

CBP is a non- essential service during a "national emergency" at the border?

The continued erosion of constitutional norms is actually a tactic employed by conservatives and used to erode trust in govt.

As we can see, it works well.

You think CBP is not open today? ":lol:

I am sorry, I just can't bring myself to argue with someone so stupid any more today.

They're working without pay, dope.
Despite Government Shutdown, Homeland Security Border Patrol Remains on the Job. And Unpaid

Last edited:

snip....

snip....

Change them.

Nope, sorry. I understand that your partisanship only allows you to see things the way they might support partisan pre-disposition.

You cannot rebut my post with a logical fallacy (ad hominem). Who has been more toxic on the left, when in power, as have been as toxic as Gingrich and Trump?

It's a simple question, and if you pick one out of a hat, I'll offer evidence to prove you wrong.

Conservatives are at liberty to give up on the Constitution if they so desire; the rest of America will continue to acknowledge the Constitution, its case law, and the principles it enshrines.

Indeed, to listen to most on the right, conservatives have already abandoned the Founding Document, given their unwarranted hostility toward the rights and protected liberties of all persons living in the United States.

This from a guy who (so far) refuses to accept my challenge in the Bull Ring about the Constitutionality of elective abortions.

snip....

snip....

Change them.

Leftwing turds like you have been engaging in character assassination since the Wilson administration. All Gingrich did is state the facts about Democrats.

There's noting cruel or evil about Trump, unless you call telling the truth "evil."

snip....

snip....

Change them.

You cannot rebut my post with a logical fallacy (ad hominem). Who has been more toxic on the left, when in power, as have been as toxic as Gingrich and Trump?

It's a simple question, and if you pick one out of a hat, I'll offer evidence to prove you wrong.
Easy: Hillary, Obama, Piglosi, Schumer and just about every Dim on the judiciary commitee.

snip....

snip....

Change them.

Leftwing turds like you have been engaging in character assassination since the Wilson administration. All Gingrich did is state the facts about Democrats.

There's noting cruel or evil about Trump, unless you call telling the truth "evil."

You're really funny, Trump telling the truth would be a man bites dog story. It might happen, but it is rare.

Do you think, ooops, strike that. Do you believe holding 800,000 families hostage without pay for 31 days isn't evil? Ends and means are usually mean, and seem to be Trump's forte.

snip....

snip....

Change them.

Sure we can do that and adopt the Commie one, and this will make the Democrats happy and the Commies will go out of their minds.

Conservatives are at liberty to give up on the Constitution if they so desire; the rest of America will continue to acknowledge the Constitution, its case law, and the principles it enshrines.

Indeed, to listen to most on the right, conservatives have already abandoned the Founding Document, given their unwarranted hostility toward the rights and protected liberties of all persons living in the United States.

This from a guy who (so far) refuses to accept my challenge in the Bull Ring about the Constitutionality of elective abortions.

He doesn't want to debate, he wants to preach.

snip....

snip....

Change them.

You're really funny, Trump telling the truth would be a man bites dog story. It might happen, but it is rare.

Do you think, ooops, strike that. Do you believe holding 800,000 families hostage without pay for 31 days isn't evil? Ends and means are usually mean, and seem to be Trump's forte.

What could be more hilarious than Dims claiming their politicians are honest?

If the shutdown is evil, then tell Piglosi to approve the funds for the wall. And, no, I don't think failing to pay government employees is evil. I would like to make that state of affairs permanent.

snip....

snip....

Change them.

Got news for you,the american sheep gave up the constituion DECADES ago and have allowed the elite to run their lives and be a police state only they are too ignorant to see it that the politicians have put a lighter to it DECADES ago. ever hear why 1913 was the year america became a dictatership?

snip....

snip....

Change them.

Those in power have given up on the Constitution.

Those under them need to hold onto it and show those in power where they error.

It may not seem like much, but it is better than nothing.

Forum List

Back