Let’s Give Up on the Constitution

Enforce the Constitution, jail or deportation for those who can't follow it.

pat robertson think the constitution is a "christian document" meant ONLY for christians.

do does roy moore.

roy moore would criminalize homosexuals.

I would give homosexuals equal rights and protections.

Which of us should be deported or jailed?

Neither one dumbass. There was no Constitutional infraction. You both were exercising free speech rights.

look, dumbass, YOU are the one who SPECIFICALLY STATED "Enforce the Constitution, jail or deportation for those who can't follow it"

and I am merely trying to understand what you actually mean.

the baker who refused to bake
the people demanding he bake a cake

who do you arrest and jail?

pot smokers?
the dea?

who is NOT abiding by the constitution?

can you give even one example of this thing that seems so important to you?

You should be glad Jefferson advocated for just castrating gays instead of hanging them.

which method would make YOU happier?

"AS the nation teeters at the edge of fiscal chaos, observers are reaching the conclusion that the American system of government is broken. But almost no one blames the culprit: our insistence on obedience to the Constitution, with all its archaic, idiosyncratic and downright evil provisions."

snip....

"This is not to say that we should disobey all constitutional commands. Freedom of speech and religion, equal protection of the laws and protections against governmental deprivation of life, liberty or property are important, whether or not they are in the Constitution. We should continue to follow those requirements out of respect, not obligation."

snip....

"If even this change is impossible, perhaps the dream of a country ruled by “We the people” is impossibly utopian. If so, we have to give up on the claim that we are a self-governing people who can settle our disagreements through mature and tolerant debate. But before abandoning our heritage of self-government, we ought to try extricating ourselves from constitutional bondage so that we can give real freedom a chance."

Opinion | Let’s Give Up on the Constitution

Older piece but still relevant. Don't like the rules?
Change them.

Same as saying, "We don't need rules.....they just get in our way".

[QUOTE="anynameyouwish, post: 21654910, member: 71593"

look, dumbass, YOU are the one who SPECIFICALLY STATED "Enforce the Constitution, jail or deportation for those who can't follow it"

and I am merely trying to understand what you actually mean.

the baker who refused to bake
the people demanding he bake a cake

who do you arrest and jail?

pot smokers?
the dea?

who is NOT abiding by the constitution?

can you give even one example of this thing that seems so important to you?[/QUOTE]

Hey triggered dumbass, Your example was not a Constitutional violation in the prior situation. The same holds true for the baker case. The baker was upholding his religious beliefs in a well established religion. The cake buyers wanted a cake and were denied, no harm no foul. Pot smokers are violating federal ans in many cases state law, that has nothign to do with the Constitution, they are jailed under laws. The DEA is a government established agency. Again your examples are stupid. Stop acting stupid.[/QUOTE]

so "arrest and jail" anyone who is not abiding by the constitution but you can't actually give an example.

ok

got it.

religion is no ones business but mine

yup

but that isn't what millions of conservative christian republicans believe
how so??

Mike Pence and Roy Moore believe that the US IS a "christian nation" and the bible SHOULD be used as the source of law.

Moore specifically stated he would CRIMINALIZE and JAIL homosexuals merely for being gay!

he almost won the Alabama senate last year.

MILLIONS of conservative christian republicans voted for him. They must have no problem with his desire to "do something about the homosexual problem"

got any proof of this claim???

cause I've never heard it

yawn
typical lazy conservative. always making other people do the work.

this is very easily googleable.

however, since i know that YOU won't do the work and if I don't do it you will merely deny its' veracity.....\

Anti-gay supporters rally for Roy Moore, worrying LGBT community ...

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/.../ct-roy-moore-alabama-20171118-story.html

Nov 18, 2017 - A smiling Roy Moore stood shoulder to shoulder with his fiercest religious allies. Flanked by a huge sign for Moore's Senate campaign, one ...
Roy Moore in 2005: 'Homosexual conduct should be illegal ...

https://www.cnn.com/2017/09/21/politics/kfile-roy-moore-homosexuality.../index.html

Sep 22, 2017 - Roy Moore, a Republican US Senate candidate in Alabama, said in a 2005 interview that he believes "homosexual conduct" should be illegal.
hey you made the claim not me,,,so the burden of proof is on you

I have a lot of reasons to never vote for either a dem or repube and this doesnt make the list

as for the gays,,,well a lot of my friend and me were hunted by gays our whole young life and one was killed, so I have a reasonable case for being against their actions and think they should be jailed for them

Mike Pence and Roy Moore believe that the US IS a "christian nation" and the bible SHOULD be used as the source of law.

Moore specifically stated he would CRIMINALIZE and JAIL homosexuals merely for being gay!

he almost won the Alabama senate last year.

MILLIONS of conservative christian republicans voted for him. They must have no problem with his desire to "do something about the homosexual problem"

You seem like a very nervous gay guy. Relax

If only you were capable of sticking to the point we might actually be able to have a discussion.

I am straight, white, male, 67, balding, 15 lbs overweight and an AAA (atheist/agnostic/apathetic)

LOTS of straight white males support gay rights for rational and logical reasons.

LOTS of straight white males consider evangelical biblical opinions expressing a desire to punish other people to be nut just anti-constitutional but down right dangerous.

what rights are they being denied???

The consitution has ways "out" built in, The amendment process, either via the legislature/states or the States themselves via Article 5 Conventions.

The brilliance of the founders, don't like the Constitution then amend it. Can't muster the votes to amend it? Then STFU you stupid shit politicians.

Both “originalism” and “living constitutionalism” are failed, wrongheaded legal dogma.

As Justice Kennedy explained in Lawrence:

Had those who drew and ratified the Due Process Clauses of the Fifth Amendment or the Fourteenth Amendment known the components of liberty in its manifold possibilities, they might have been more specific. They did not presume to have this insight. They knew times can blind us to certain truths and later generations can see that laws once thought necessary and proper in fact serve only to oppress. As the Constitution endures, persons in every generation can invoke its principles in their own search for greater freedom.

The issue therefore is not to attempt to reconcile “originalism” and “living constitutionalism”; rather, jurists should reject both and instead focus on the principles codified in the Founding Document.

“..let’s try extricating ourselves from Constitutional bondage...”

??

The Constitution is the paper thin line between Americans & whimsical oppression from tyrants. How is that “bondage”?

It's people like McConnell that cause the dysfunction.

It's initiatives like citizens united that erode
Constitutional norms.

IOW, it's conservatives who are working to destroy it.

The Citizens of each State shall be entitled to all Privileges and Immunities of Citizens in the several States.

Why does the right wing have a problem with it?

That would be the liberals. They seem Hell bent on taking rights away from people. In many cases through the media. Take the Catholic kids from this week as an example. They were peaceably assembled for a lawful purpose and were attacked by two groups.

"AS the nation teeters at the edge of fiscal chaos, observers are reaching the conclusion that the American system of government is broken. But almost no one blames the culprit: our insistence on obedience to the Constitution, with all its archaic, idiosyncratic and downright evil provisions."

snip....

"This is not to say that we should disobey all constitutional commands. Freedom of speech and religion, equal protection of the laws and protections against governmental deprivation of life, liberty or property are important, whether or not they are in the Constitution. We should continue to follow those requirements out of respect, not obligation."

snip....

"If even this change is impossible, perhaps the dream of a country ruled by “We the people” is impossibly utopian. If so, we have to give up on the claim that we are a self-governing people who can settle our disagreements through mature and tolerant debate. But before abandoning our heritage of self-government, we ought to try extricating ourselves from constitutional bondage so that we can give real freedom a chance."

Opinion | Let’s Give Up on the Constitution

Older piece but still relevant. Don't like the rules?
Change them.

The consitution has ways "out" built in, The amendment process, either via the legislature/states or the States themselves via Article 5 Conventions.

I know how it works, I'm a strict Constitutionalist. The Left screams get rid of it every time they lose an election.
“Strict constitutionalist” is the same rightwing idiocy as “originalism”; just as failed and just as wrongheaded.

It was the original understanding and intent of the Framers that the courts determine the meaning of the Constitution – the Constitution exists solely in the context of its case law, as determined by the Supreme Court.

“But that’s not in the Constitution” is a failed and ignorant ‘argument.’

Both “originalism” and “living constitutionalism” are failed, wrongheaded legal dogma.

As Justice Kennedy explained in Lawrence:

Had those who drew and ratified the Due Process Clauses of the Fifth Amendment or the Fourteenth Amendment known the components of liberty in its manifold possibilities, they might have been more specific. They did not presume to have this insight. They knew times can blind us to certain truths and later generations can see that laws once thought necessary and proper in fact serve only to oppress. As the Constitution endures, persons in every generation can invoke its principles in their own search for greater freedom.

The issue therefore is not to attempt to reconcile “originalism” and “living constitutionalism”; rather, jurists should reject both and instead focus on the principles codified in the Founding Document.

This is not an invitation for activist judges moron. It is stating justices will need to apply the Constitution as they have always done. Kennedy knows you amend a Constitution, not make up what you think it means.

Enforce the Constitution, jail or deportation for those who can't follow it.

McConnell is ignoring his constitutional obligation to fund the govt. When does he go?

No he isn't. He is waiting for a budget that meets with presidential approval. Democrats on the other hand have consistently NOT funded the government and forced continuing resolutions.

Pot smokers are violating federal ans in many cases state law, that has nothing to do with the Constitution, they are jailed under laws.

They needed an amendment to ban Alcohol sales nationwide. Furthermore their first attempt to ban it nation wide, using taxes, was eventually ruled unconstitutional. But by then Congress and the Federal Governement had expanded its power over the States and its US subjects........

Forum List

Back