Latest Puerto Rico death toll more than doubles

You know, Trump doesn't really understand how disasters work.Not only do you have the initial deaths that are caused directly by the storm, but you also have deaths that come later that are indirectly caused by the storm.Yeah, the current death toll is around 16, but you can bet that when they get to the other towns where communications haven't been reestablished yet, there will be more bodies to count.Trump is gonna break his arm patting himself on the back so early on this one.
`
As mush as I can't stand Trump, he is NOT responsible for the hurricane's death toll. Once again that is the responsibility of the Puerto Rican government and their criminal mismanagement in preparing for this.

You know, Trump doesn't really understand how disasters work.Not only do you have the initial deaths that are caused directly by the storm, but you also have deaths that come later that are indirectly caused by the storm.Yeah, the current death toll is around 16, but you can bet that when they get to the other towns where communications haven't been reestablished yet, there will be more bodies to count.Trump is gonna break his arm patting himself on the back so early on this one.
`
As mush as I can't stand Trump, he is NOT responsible for the hurricane's death toll. Once again that is the responsibility of the Puerto Rican government and their criminal mismanagement in preparing for this.
So the people of Puerto Rico are responsible for a Category 4/5 hurricane hitting them directly down the middle of the country?

And, being a US Territory, they are completely responsible for their own country. Even though Republicans in the US will pass such onerous policies as the Jones Act and being a territory, they are not even a country?

Are you sure you've thought this through? Don't let me call you a Rex T. Trump.

The announced death count is 34, but in the few reports able to get out, it's said every funeral home is filled to capacity and still stacking bodies. Eventually, when people have time and aren't just trying to survive and aren't spending every day sh!tting their guts out because they are drinking creek water, they will count the bodies. But Republicans are ghouls. They want the body count first. Maybe they are right. Otherwise, we will never know how many the Hurricane killed and how many died from Trump/GOP inaction. Like after Katrina.

So the people of Puerto Rico are responsible for a Category 4/5 hurricane hitting them directly down the middle of the country?And, being a US Territory, they are completely responsible for their own country. Even though Republicans in the US will pass such onerous policies as the Jones Act and being a territory, they are not even a country?Are you sure you've thought this through? Don't let me call you a Rex T. Trump.
`
I don't care what you call me. Hurricane disaster aid is a separate issue from debt relief. US states are in debt worse them Puerto Rico. The people there elected corrupt politicians, now they are paying the price. The rich and criminal 1% run Puerto Rico. Debt relief would only be aiding and rewarding those who initially benefited from the loans they took out. You haven't said anything to convince me otherwise.

Maybe those lazy deadbeats should try taking care of themselves for a change. Maybe they should have constructed their homes and infrastructure in a way that doesn't get destroyed by a storm or two.

You realize that Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory and the U.S. government is involved in making sure they have a good infrastructure...
Local governments build a lot of infrastructure. Houses are almost exclusively built by private entities as far as I am aware.

Houses have NOTHING to do with the infrastructure of power lines, power plants, roads, damns, highways, shipping ports...
Did you read what I said?

Maybe they should have constructed their homes and infrastructure in a way that doesn't get destroyed by a storm or two.

I was talking about homes AND infrastructure.

Because they have so much money.

No Avatar?

So the people of Puerto Rico are responsible for a Category 4/5 hurricane hitting them directly down the middle of the country?And, being a US Territory, they are completely responsible for their own country. Even though Republicans in the US will pass such onerous policies as the Jones Act and being a territory, they are not even a country?Are you sure you've thought this through? Don't let me call you a Rex T. Trump.
`
I don't care what you call me. Hurricane disaster aid is a separate issue from debt relief. US states are in debt worse them Puerto Rico. The people there elected corrupt politicians, now they are paying the price. The rich and criminal 1% run Puerto Rico. Debt relief would only be aiding and rewarding those who initially benefited from the loans they took out. You haven't said anything to convince me otherwise.
It's called Gerrymandering and it's why Republicans control both houses, the presidency, the Supreme Court, and nearly every state legislature.

We know from the Government under George W. Bush and under Donald Trump they are incompetent and greedy as hell.
As long as they are in power, recent history has shown us things just get worse and worse.

cry baby 3.jpg

Puerto Rico's death toll from Hurricane Maria more than doubles to 34

Just hours earlier when President Donald Trump visited the island to survey the damage the official death toll remained as it has for days at 16 dead.

-----------

95% of the Island still has no power. That means no communication 20 miles outside the city and beyond.
The death toll will only rise.

It's only started. This will be worse than Katrina where Republicans watched people die on their roof tops. They didn't care then. They won't care now.
You think the death toll will climb to over 1,833??

Btw... it was an inept democrat who was ultimately responsible for those deaths from Katrina.

Hurricane Maria’s death toll in Puerto Rico is higher than official count, experts say

Cotté is one of the unaccounted victims of Maria, the potent hurricane that devastated all of Puerto Rico with sustained winds and gusts of up to 200 miles per hour. On Wednesday, the Puerto Rico government, maintained that the official number of deaths as a result of the catastrophe was 16. But the Center for Investigative Journalism (CPI, for its initials in Spanish) has confirmed that there are dozens of hurricane-related deaths and the number could rise to the hundreds.

The storm-related fatalities are mounting with each passing day, and official numbers are not counting patients who are not receiving dialysis, oxygen and other essential services.

The dead are at the hospital morgues, which are at capacity and in remote places where the government has yet to go. In many cases, families are unaware of the deaths. The government’s Demographic Registry is responsible for certifying deaths so bodies can be removed by funeral homes, many of which are not operating because of lack of resources. The agency began to certify some of the dead Monday, Health Secretary Rafael Rodríguez-Mercado confirmed in an interview.

Public Safety Secretary Héctor Pesquera told the CPI that the names of the dead because of the hurricane will not be revealed until relatives can be notified.

CPI sources in half a dozen hospitals said those bodies are piling up at the morgues of the 69 hospitals in Puerto Rico, of which 70 percent are not operating. The majority of the hospital morgues that provided information — including Doctor’s Center in Bayamón and Santurce, Pavía Hospital in Santurce, Manatí Medical Center, Dr. Pila in Ponce, Río Piedras Medical Center, Mayagüez Medical Center and the HIMA hospitals in Caguas and Bayamón — are at full capacity.

CPI also has learned that the Institute of Forensic Sciences is also full of bodies and that 25 of those are hurricane victims. On Tuesday, the IFS reported that it had increased its storage capacity for bodies with a trailer that was obtained through The Morgue federal program.

It’s unclear what is happening with the deceased who are at the morgues of the 51 hospitals that have had to close their doors.

Secretary Rodríguez-Mercado acknowledged that hospital morgues are full. He said the accumulated bodies cannot be removed from the morgues by funeral homes until the deaths can be certified by the Demographic Registry, which barely began operating from regional emergency centers Monday.

“We’re finding dead people, people who have been buried, [people] have made common graves,” Rodríguez-Mercado told CPI. “We’ve been told people have buried their family members because they’re in places that have yet to be reached.”

Hospitals that had to close their doors after the storm have more than 4,000 beds. Asked what happened to those patients, where they were transferred, the health secretary responded with a sincere, “I don’t know.”

Another looming problem is that patients are arriving in critical condition, with ventilators, for example, and with poorly documented records of medical procedures at the hospitals where patients were originally admitted.

Meanwhile, the dead continue to accumulate.

“We’re fighting. I would love for the government to understand that it has to open dialysis centers. If they don’t receive the service, the patients’ health is compromised quickly and they die. And yes, they have died,” said Armando Rodríguez, vice president of the Grupo HIMA medical provider. He confirmed that the morgues of his two hospitals in Bayamón and Caguas are above capacity.

----------------------------------

And remember, only 7% of the island has power. The bodies are piling up. This might be much worse than the 1800 after Katrina. In fact, because of people buried, swept out to sea and buried in mass graves in remote areas, we may never know how many actually died.

But with so many bodies not buried, there will be disease. People are already drinking out of creeks and bathing in dirty water.

Trump won't be able to shrug this off with jokes and "have fun". The Mayor will be vindicated and Trump will come out of this as an even worse racist who is dangerously inept.

Just hours earlier when President Donald Trump visited the island to survey the damage the official death toll remained as it has for days at 16 dead.

-----------

95% of the Island still has no power. That means no communication 20 miles outside the city and beyond.

It's only started. This will be worse than Katrina where Republicans watched people die on their roof tops. They didn't care then. They won't care now.

Btw... it was an inept democrat who was ultimately responsible for those deaths from Katrina.
A Democrat? Katrina happened in 2005. The GOP controlled the entire government. I know many Republicans think it was Obama's fault. Are you one of those?

-----------

If we only stil had the Hussein as our Dear Leader. He could had just waved his hand and all would be well on the island.

-----------

If we only stil had the Hussein as our Dear Leader. He could had just waved his hand and all would be well on the island.
That doesn't even make sense. Wave his hand? I'm guessing it's a slam at Obama, but why? Trump is president. Bush was president after Katrina and Obama after Sandy. But Trump is president now.

To Puerto Rico, in the words of Trump, "Have fun!".

-----------

A Democrat? Katrina happened in 2005. The GOP controlled the entire government. I know many Republicans think it was Obama's fault. Are you one of those?
Are you too young to know how that went down?

It's very sad to have family there, and to see what a joke it seems to Trump and his supporters that they have no power, water, or ability to communicate with the outside world. My cousins, aunts and uncle, and grandmother are in lines waiting to get water from trucks like in videos you see coming from 3rd world countries in Africa and other places like that. It's crazy. I haven't heard from any of them since Saturday, and even that was after several days of silence.

I know Puerto Ricans who say they would never live there because of the crime and corruption. That was before the hurricane hit. It has to be ten times worse now.

It'll go in the hundreds, maybe not thousands, but who knows?

Just the people who need electricity for life support, or medicine.

It's was really moronic how Trump was bragging that it was 16.

It's very sad to have family there, and to see what a joke it seems to Trump and his supporters that they have no power, water, or ability to communicate with the outside world. My cousins, aunts and uncle, and grandmother are in lines waiting to get water from trucks like in videos you see coming from 3rd world countries in Africa and other places like that. It's crazy. I haven't heard from any of them since Saturday, and even that was after several days of silence.

I know Puerto Ricans who say they would never live there because of the crime and corruption. That was before the hurricane hit. It has to be ten times worse now.
I know many who have left and many who have stayed.

Forum List

Back