LA Teachers Strike: $73K Is Not Enough

Need a common sense approach here people-how much of the education budget is due to illegals? ICE really needs to gather up these undesirable families and move them all out at once.

A starter home in LA costs $400,000

Anyone think $73K is enough?

And oh, whoop de doop, you taught in a foreign nation. Good for you. 25 years, two states, three districts, more than 10 schools. Thousands and thousands and THOUSANDS of kids, grades pre-kindergarten through 7th. So don't tell me about the two years you probably taught. And you should also know I have no tolerance for lazy, bad teachers. I also, as you can tell, have no tolerance for anyone saying "teachers are the problem"--usually, hapless conservatives who also decry the family breakdown in society but then pretend that somehow, teachers should fix it all at the schoolhouse door.

I mean it. Spare me.

For the record I never said they were a problem. Find one post where I said that
Ever see teachers strike on the behalf of the kids?

Teachers are the problem.
Conservatives are the problem
not in California.....

They elected Arnold!
the educational system was falling before Arnold....and Arnold backed many so called pro-education bills...sorry cant blame him...

That's like three politicians telling us Deep State does not exist. Teachers are the problem. I expect such things. You denying the implosion of public education only underscores it.

Let's step back from this for a moment.

You mean to tell me--seriously--that in inner city LA...I hope I do not have to explain the problems there...where many students do not even speak English in the home and most all students do not live with two biological parents...."teachers are the problem"?

So in your world, if you staffed a school with the most perfect teachers in the entire world, you could bring in a kindergartner who is 4th out of 5 children, speaks no English in the home, comes from grinding poverty, and has already suffered significant trauma in his life, and....what? Tell me what, I mean CLEARLY, you expect to teach him his kindergarten year that would catch him up with the child in Anytown, Iowa who is the firstborn child of two loving parents who comes from a stable home, has had two years of preschool, already knows all his letters and most of his letter sounds, and already loves school.

You explain this to me....

And then you tell me that "Teachers are the problem".
I have taught in foreign nations before. Kids learned too.

A good teacher finds away around obstacles in order to teach. It could be language, it could be handicaps. But a good teacher gets the job done.

And oh, whoop de doop, you taught in a foreign nation. Good for you. 25 years, two states, three districts, more than 10 schools. Thousands and thousands and THOUSANDS of kids, grades pre-kindergarten through 7th. So don't tell me about the two years you probably taught. And you should also know I have no tolerance for lazy, bad teachers. I also, as you can tell, have no tolerance for anyone saying "teachers are the problem"--usually, hapless conservatives who also decry the family breakdown in society but then pretend that somehow, teachers should fix it all at the schoolhouse door.

I mean it. Spare me.

For the record I never said they were a problem. Find one post where I said that

I never said you did. Generally however, many conservatives magically expect teachers to solve problems with little to no resources when they would never, ever expect this of other professions. It's so common it's expected for conservatives to just blame the teachers when the kids don't learn--even if the kids are from the most horrid family situations you can imagine. As if teachers can supersede human development by some kind of magic.

I am not a conservative. I am an Independent. Key is smaller classrooms with fewer students. Tough to have that when you cannot even gauge an accurate census.

I mean it. Spare me.

Ever see teachers strike on the behalf of the kids?

Teachers are the problem.

Didn’t you claim to have a bunch of friends who are teachers?
What about it? They know where I stand.

Teachers rarely stand up for kids interests these days.

You are completely full of shit. Your posts here are all lies and prejudice.

Is that your go to line for everyone? You’re the one full of monkey dung.

Why do you oppose due process?

I lost my assistant principal position because my boss wanted the job for her best friend. She told me that my contract was not being renewed after I saw my job posted in an email to the district. The reason we have unions is because administrators and school district personnel did this to teachers for a long time. I did nothing wrong, and she knew it, yet she could kick me to the curb in favor of her friend.

Oh well, you don't have a right to a job. Though certainly I would hope that supervisors would hire the best person for the job, why should teaching be any different than any other job in that regard? If you work at let's say GM and they want to fire you, you're out. Why would teaching be any different (except for having the same protections as the guy or ga at GM does against discrimination etc etc)

As for due process, that's a legal term and has nothing to do with being fired from a job that due process is whatever is in your contract with your employer which could mean no due process and if you agreed to that, o h well.

I am sorry, but you do not have a clue as to what you are discussing.

If you get fired at GM, there is Ford and Chrysler, right there. Schools don't work that way. The major difference is teachers are licensed/certified. Autoworkers are not.

I can't drop my job in my state and go next door and pick up a job tomorrow. That's not how it works.

Most of the time these teachers being fired for misconduct are not being afforded due process. They are just being fired for no cause, based on rumor or innuendo. I agree there are times that it seems ridiculous, but that is the price we pay for protecting everyone else.

Of course you can quit working at a school in your state and go teach at a school in another state, all you have to do is get certified in that state (and of course you wouldn't even have to leave the state you could just go to a different school IN the state)

And those certifications are EASY to get.

Don't make teaching out to be harder than it is.

You know nothing about the certification process do you? Typical.

Of course I do , I also know that in most states the certifications are reciprocal and al you have to do is take a few clesses in the summer if you have a certification in another state.

What you REALLY meant was "If a teacher goes from one state to another they lose credit for time on their pension, so most teacherst don't WANT to do that"

Teaching License Reciprocity Guidelines by State

Who pays for those classes and gives you the time to take them? Do you think I want to commute 200 miles per day to take the class I need?

I tried to move my administrator certification to KY from FL and found out it would cost me thousands of dollars to do, so I never did. Teaching is hard enough without going to school at the same time.

..... Key is smaller classrooms with fewer students. .....

Oh, is that it? Just that simple, professor? Thanks for the benefit of all your many years of education, training and experience in teaching.

You’re welcome.

There are four high schools in the city where I teach. The one with the smallest class sizes is by far the lowest performing.

You teach? What do you teach?

Oh, is that it? Just that simple, professor? Thanks for the benefit of all your many years of education, training and experience in teaching.

You’re welcome.

There are four high schools in the city where I teach. The one with the smallest class sizes is by far the lowest performing.
Why

You’re welcome.

You teach? What do you teach?

English, History, Biology. I also coach and tutor in a great many subjects.

Among other things.

You’re welcome.

Why

There you go. The question itself recognizes class-size is not the sole determining factor regarding student performance. In this particular case, the students in those very very very small classes are students who were removed from all of the other public schools in the city for various reasons you really don’t want to know about.

You’re welcome.

Why

There you go. The question itself recognizes class-size is not the sole determining factor regarding student performance. In this particular case, the students in those very very very small classes are students who were removed from all of the other public schools in the city for various reasons you really don’t want to know about.
Are you claiming large classes are a better way to teach or is there another reason why the schools perform differently?

You’re welcome.

Why

Are you claiming large classes are a better way to teach or is there another reason why the schools perform differently?

Class size is merely one of many factors.

You’re welcome.

Why

Class size is merely one of many factors.
Agree
But it is still important

As a student, I always preferred a smaller class size

Well nobody says a teacher should be able to buy a house in the Hollywood hills. Neither can a Truck driver. But, two incomes can do it. $73k is plenty for almost part time work. There i said it.

What about it? They know where I stand.

Teachers rarely stand up for kids interests these days.

About 95% of the country's teachers are banned from striking for any reason by law, so how can you make such a ridiculous claim in the first place?
Thanks for verifying that teachers only protest to make money for themselves and never to help the kids.

How about this one? Although it was technically not a strike, last Spring, teachers in Kentucky were calling in sick in order to go protest at the state Capitol after the state's retirement fund and teacher retirement funds were about to be restructured by Republican legislators and governor after years and years of not being properly funded by the state by Democrats.

Days where the protests were made were only while the legislators were in session and because the retirement funding was going to be laid on the backs of current and future teachers for the most part, teachers knew that if the plan was allowed a huge percentage of teachers would be forced to opt to retire immediately, creating an instantaneous teacher shortage. We made sure we gave students work to complete at home if the counties decided to close the schools on those days.

Teachers got a benefit, but so did the kids for their future. The bill was passed but declared unconstitutional by the state courts almost immediately, so the can got kicked down the road. This past fall, the governor called a special session pf the legislature to address the problem again, legislators met for two days, sat and stared at each other, and decided it could not be fixed, so they went home.

The teachers and kids won again!

OH but teachers don't deserve a pension or benefits or anything like that. It's such an easy job. Minimum wage, maybe less. Aren't they just babysitters?

This is how we're treating teachers and now, this is exactly what we're getting. And, America deserves exactly what is coming because of it. Spiraling right down the drain, like so many other aspects of society. I hate to say it, but we richly deserve what's coming.

Maybe, just maybe teachers should agree that stronger testing and higher standings to remain in the job need to be enacted.

Hard to defend a profession which has unions that fight to keep people who have actually abused children on the payroll. Let alone weeding out teachers who can't teach.

Instead we see teachers pretending they aren't at fault for ANYTHING.

To make it clear for those who missed it: I generally loathe the unions for the reasons above. They often defend the teachers least worthy of defense--not always, but often. That's why I don't belong to my own union. And again it's not that they're aren't bad teachers. It's what Weatherman has said all throughout the thread, to which many conservatives agree: ALL teachers are worthless. So many believe this it has made the profession worthless. And now, we reap what we sow--again.

Well nobody says a teacher should be able to buy a house in the Hollywood hills. Neither can a Truck driver. But, two incomes can do it. $73k is plenty for almost part time work. There i said it.

This is what we deserve. Teachers should be just like truck drivers. Nothing wrong with truck drivers, don't get me wrong. But those who teach our children: no different.

Americans, we deserve what's coming. So richly. Don't forget it when it comes. Soon.

Forum List

Back