LA Teachers Strike: $73K Is Not Enough

..... Key is smaller classrooms with fewer students. .....

Oh, is that it? Just that simple, professor? Thanks for the benefit of all your many years of education, training and experience in teaching.

You’re welcome.

There are four high schools in the city where I teach. The one with the smallest class sizes is by far the lowest performing.
Why

There you go. The question itself recognizes class-size is not the sole determining factor regarding student performance. In this particular case, the students in those very very very small classes are students who were removed from all of the other public schools in the city for various reasons you really don’t want to know about.

They can't know about it. At least many posters on this thread.

Busts their carefully crafted narrative. After all, if THEY were in the classroom, they could magically make those kids learn. Them, and the truck drivers they're gonna hire.

Well nobody says a teacher should be able to buy a house in the Hollywood hills. Neither can a Truck driver. But, two incomes can do it. $73k is plenty for almost part time work. There i said it.

Oh, I see your location. "Driving". So IOW, I'm a truck driver and *I* cannot afford it, therefore, neither should teachers. *MY* life is hard as I perceive it, therefore, no one else's life is hard and no one else deserves any more money than I make.

This too is eating America up from the inside out. Small-minded envy. And again I say, we deserve what is coming. We absolutely do.

About 95% of the country's teachers are banned from striking for any reason by law, so how can you make such a ridiculous claim in the first place?
Thanks for verifying that teachers only protest to make money for themselves and never to help the kids.

How about this one? Although it was technically not a strike, last Spring, teachers in Kentucky were calling in sick in order to go protest at the state Capitol after the state's retirement fund and teacher retirement funds were about to be restructured by Republican legislators and governor after years and years of not being properly funded by the state by Democrats.

Days where the protests were made were only while the legislators were in session and because the retirement funding was going to be laid on the backs of current and future teachers for the most part, teachers knew that if the plan was allowed a huge percentage of teachers would be forced to opt to retire immediately, creating an instantaneous teacher shortage. We made sure we gave students work to complete at home if the counties decided to close the schools on those days.

Teachers got a benefit, but so did the kids for their future. The bill was passed but declared unconstitutional by the state courts almost immediately, so the can got kicked down the road. This past fall, the governor called a special session pf the legislature to address the problem again, legislators met for two days, sat and stared at each other, and decided it could not be fixed, so they went home.

The teachers and kids won again!

OH but teachers don't deserve a pension or benefits or anything like that. It's such an easy job. Minimum wage, maybe less. Aren't they just babysitters?

This is how we're treating teachers and now, this is exactly what we're getting. And, America deserves exactly what is coming because of it. Spiraling right down the drain, like so many other aspects of society. I hate to say it, but we richly deserve what's coming.

Maybe, just maybe teachers should agree that stronger testing and higher standings to remain in the job need to be enacted.

Hard to defend a profession which has unions that fight to keep people who have actually abused children on the payroll. Let alone weeding out teachers who can't teach.

Instead we see teachers pretending they aren't at fault for ANYTHING.

To make it clear for those who missed it: I generally loathe the unions for the reasons above. They often defend the teachers least worthy of defense--not always, but often. That's why I don't belong to my own union. And again it's not that they're aren't bad teachers. It's what Weatherman has said all throughout the thread, to which many conservatives agree: ALL teachers are worthless. So many believe this it has made the profession worthless. And now, we reap what we sow--again.
Most teachers loath the unions.

But all are too cowardly to do anything about it. Their personal gain is more important than the education of children.

Well nobody says a teacher should be able to buy a house in the Hollywood hills. Neither can a Truck driver. But, two incomes can do it. $73k is plenty for almost part time work. There i said it.
Maybe Teachers can live with their parents

Oh, I see your location. "Driving". So IOW, I'm a truck driver and *I* cannot afford it, therefore, neither should teachers. *MY* life is hard as I perceive it, therefore, no one else's life is hard and no one else deserves any more money than I make.

This too is eating America up from the inside out. Small-minded envy. And again I say, we deserve what is coming. We absolutely do.

Pettiness is a sacrament to right wingers

OK what is the solution? More money? 2X? Guaranteed housing in upscale safe neighborhoods for one teacher? but teach in east LA? Throw money at it.....?

Btw, you make them want to learn. Can’t force it.

OK what is the solution? More money? 2X? Guaranteed housing in upscale safe neighborhoods for one teacher? but teach in east LA? Throw money at it.....?

Btw, you make them want to learn. Can’t force it.
The solution is your best teachers find jobs elsewhere or in other occupations.
Leaves you with those who can’t find anything better

Thanks for verifying that teachers only protest to make money for themselves and never to help the kids.

How about this one? Although it was technically not a strike, last Spring, teachers in Kentucky were calling in sick in order to go protest at the state Capitol after the state's retirement fund and teacher retirement funds were about to be restructured by Republican legislators and governor after years and years of not being properly funded by the state by Democrats.

Days where the protests were made were only while the legislators were in session and because the retirement funding was going to be laid on the backs of current and future teachers for the most part, teachers knew that if the plan was allowed a huge percentage of teachers would be forced to opt to retire immediately, creating an instantaneous teacher shortage. We made sure we gave students work to complete at home if the counties decided to close the schools on those days.

Teachers got a benefit, but so did the kids for their future. The bill was passed but declared unconstitutional by the state courts almost immediately, so the can got kicked down the road. This past fall, the governor called a special session pf the legislature to address the problem again, legislators met for two days, sat and stared at each other, and decided it could not be fixed, so they went home.

OH but teachers don't deserve a pension or benefits or anything like that. It's such an easy job. Minimum wage, maybe less. Aren't they just babysitters?

This is how we're treating teachers and now, this is exactly what we're getting. And, America deserves exactly what is coming because of it. Spiraling right down the drain, like so many other aspects of society. I hate to say it, but we richly deserve what's coming.

Maybe, just maybe teachers should agree that stronger testing and higher standings to remain in the job need to be enacted.

Hard to defend a profession which has unions that fight to keep people who have actually abused children on the payroll. Let alone weeding out teachers who can't teach.

To make it clear for those who missed it: I generally loathe the unions for the reasons above. They often defend the teachers least worthy of defense--not always, but often. That's why I don't belong to my own union. And again it's not that they're aren't bad teachers. It's what Weatherman has said all throughout the thread, to which many conservatives agree: ALL teachers are worthless. So many believe this it has made the profession worthless. And now, we reap what we sow--again.

But all are too cowardly to do anything about it. Their personal gain is more important than the education of children.

Too cowardly to do anything about it? Like what?

I joined a union twice in my teaching career. Twice, when I needed them, they were not there. Once, they kept my job alive by putting my principal in his place be exposing his false accusations. There is good and bad with unions, but you far overestimate their impact. They are like a toothless tiger.

Because of social workers they rank next to last in average salary requiring an advanced degree. Ask most teachers about "personal gain" and they will laugh in your face!

I joined a union twice in my teaching career. Twice, when I needed them, they were not there. Once, they kept my job alive by putting my principal in his place be exposing his false accusations. There is good and bad with unions, but you far overestimate their impact. They are like a toothless tiger.

Because of social workers they rank next to last in average salary requiring an advanced degree. Ask most teachers about "personal gain" and they will laugh in your face!
Too cowardly to fix your unions.
Fact.

The song that teachers who don’t even work full time and have guaranteed jobs with incredible retirement benefits died long ago.

Fact.

The song that teachers who don’t even work full time and have guaranteed jobs with incredible retirement benefits died long ago.

Why do you insist on lying? You didn't answer the question in the first place and then went off deflecting from my question. You would not recognize a fact if it smacked you in the face!

You really are stupid enough to qualify as a libtard. Change a few of your positions and you would be fully vetted.

Tell me about my guaranteed job and incredible retirement benefits you lying sack of excrement!

Fact.

Why do you insist on lying? You didn't answer the question in the first place and then went off deflecting from my question. You would not recognize a fact if it smacked you in the face!

You really are stupid enough to qualify as a libtard. Change a few of your positions and you would be fully vetted.

Tell me about my guaranteed job and incredible retirement benefits you lying sack of excrement!

I notice you changed from "teachers can't just change jobs" to "teachers don't want to change jobs"

Fact.

I notice you changed from "teachers can't just change jobs" to "teachers don't want to change jobs"

I think you need to see a doctor. Your brain is no longer functional.

Do you have a reading comprehension problem? I'm not kidding.

Did you read where I do not belong to my union BECAUSE I do not like it? How then do you justify "all"?

This is exactly what I mean by drone. It doesn't matter what anyone says to you, you just repeat the same points again and again

Leftists are really good at it too. Socialism is all about pettiness, make no mistake.

There's a big difference between uninformed opinion and actual knowledge. Weatherman, you and I both know you have no actual knowledge about teaching. Whenever you hear something negative about teaching, you never question whether or not it might be fake news. You want it to be true, so you believe it. If your uncle's next door neighbor's best friend's cousin said it, it must be solid information. You're like others who post about a topic about which they are clueless. You rely on blanket characterization, exaggeration, and generalization to attempt to prove your point. You seem to have a need to bitch about things, and whatever you are bitching about at the moment, everyone gets thrown under the bus. For a guy who says he's an engineer, I'm a bit surprised your mind works in such an imprecise manner.

Forum List

Back