LA Teachers Strike: $73K Is Not Enough

Isn't it odd that liberals love teachers and hate cops, when the two professions are quite alike in many regards.

Could that have anything to do with the fact that teachers unions donate heavily to the Democratic Party? Why yes, yes it could.

For the record I never said they were a problem. Find one post where I said that
Ever see teachers strike on the behalf of the kids?

Teachers are the problem.

Didn’t you claim to have a bunch of friends who are teachers?
What about it? They know where I stand.

Teachers rarely stand up for kids interests these days.

You are completely full of shit. Your posts here are all lies and prejudice.
Ya, LAUSD is the best school district in America and churns out most of their kids knowing how to survive and advance in life.

Everyone, does the LAUSD struggle because:

1. Inexplicably, the LAUSD is full of really horrible teachers who just want to come to work for the money OR

2. The children come from very difficult life situations that put them behind from the jump

Gosh. That seems a hard call. Let me think on it

About 95% of the country's teachers are banned from striking for any reason by law, so how can you make such a ridiculous claim in the first place?
Thanks for verifying that teachers only protest to make money for themselves and never to help the kids.

Correction: UNIONS only protest to make money or whatever. Teachers stand up to all kind of things all the time. Sometimes even parents, sometimes the kids themselves, their bosses, society, etc. For kids. Every day, in fact, unless they're bad teachers, and there are some.

And the good ones get increasingly exhausted because not only are we doing good work that is difficult, we are being told we should do more and more and more. Whassamatter with us, we can't MAKE all these kids learn?
Unions are teachers.
And right now TEACHERS walked out on 60,000 kids.

For the record I never said they were a problem. Find one post where I said that

About 95% of the country's teachers are banned from striking for any reason by law, so how can you make such a ridiculous claim in the first place?
Thanks for verifying that teachers only protest to make money for themselves and never to help the kids.

How about this one? Although it was technically not a strike, last Spring, teachers in Kentucky were calling in sick in order to go protest at the state Capitol after the state's retirement fund and teacher retirement funds were about to be restructured by Republican legislators and governor after years and years of not being properly funded by the state by Democrats.

Days where the protests were made were only while the legislators were in session and because the retirement funding was going to be laid on the backs of current and future teachers for the most part, teachers knew that if the plan was allowed a huge percentage of teachers would be forced to opt to retire immediately, creating an instantaneous teacher shortage. We made sure we gave students work to complete at home if the counties decided to close the schools on those days.

Teachers got a benefit, but so did the kids for their future. The bill was passed but declared unconstitutional by the state courts almost immediately, so the can got kicked down the road. This past fall, the governor called a special session pf the legislature to address the problem again, legislators met for two days, sat and stared at each other, and decided it could not be fixed, so they went home.

The teachers and kids won again!

You are completely full of shit. Your posts here are all lies and prejudice.
Ya, LAUSD is the best school district in America and churns out most of their kids knowing how to survive and advance in life.

Everyone, does the LAUSD struggle because:

1. Inexplicably, the LAUSD is full of really horrible teachers who just want to come to work for the money OR

2. The children come from very difficult life situations that put them behind from the jump

Gosh. That seems a hard call. Let me think on it
Their strike to help the kids is ...... OH WAIT TEACHERS ONLY STRIKE FOR THEMSELVES.

Correction: UNIONS only protest to make money or whatever. Teachers stand up to all kind of things all the time. Sometimes even parents, sometimes the kids themselves, their bosses, society, etc. For kids. Every day, in fact, unless they're bad teachers, and there are some.

And the good ones get increasingly exhausted because not only are we doing good work that is difficult, we are being told we should do more and more and more. Whassamatter with us, we can't MAKE all these kids learn?
Unions are teachers.

The teachers in that district did. Teachers everywhere did not.

How about this one. Although it was technically not a strike, last Spring, teachers in Kentucky were calling in sick in order to go protest at the state Capitol after the state's retirement fund and teacher retirement funds were about to be restructured by Republican legislators and governor after years ad years of not being properly funded by the state.

Days where the protests were made were only while the legislators were in session and because the retirement funding was going to be laid on the backs of current and future teachers for the most part, teachers knew that if the plan was allowed a huge percentage of teachers would be forced to opt to retire immediately, creating an instantaneous teacher shortage. We made sure we gave students work to complete at home if the counties decided to close the schools on those days.

Teachers got a benefit, but so did the kids for their future. The bill was passed but declared unconstitutional by the state courts almost immediately, so the can got kicked down the road. This past fall, the governor called a special session pf the legislature to address the problem again, legislators met for two days, sat and stared at each other, and decided it could not be fixed, so they went home.

Ya, teacher mega retirement packages is for the children.

This thread validates teachers are only concerned about themselves and screw the kids over to make themselves richer.

Unions are teachers.

My school district in Florida was well over twice that size. Your attempt to exaggerate the impact is noted.

How about this one? Although it was technically not a strike, last Spring, teachers in Kentucky were calling in sick in order to go protest at the state Capitol after the state's retirement fund and teacher retirement funds were about to be restructured by Republican legislators and governor after years and years of not being properly funded by the state by Democrats.

OH but teachers don't deserve a pension or benefits or anything like that. It's such an easy job. Minimum wage, maybe less. Aren't they just babysitters?

This is how we're treating teachers and now, this is exactly what we're getting. And, America deserves exactly what is coming because of it. Spiraling right down the drain, like so many other aspects of society. I hate to say it, but we richly deserve what's coming.

How about this one. Although it was technically not a strike, last Spring, teachers in Kentucky were calling in sick in order to go protest at the state Capitol after the state's retirement fund and teacher retirement funds were about to be restructured by Republican legislators and governor after years ad years of not being properly funded by the state.

This thread validates teachers are only concerned about themselves and screw the kids over to make themselves richer.

When you're talking to yourself and not listening a bit, everything validates what you say. I figured that out about you on this topic pages and pages ago, pretty much when you said "a good teacher gets the job done". I note you had nothing to say when I challenged you re: a good dr, a good nurse.

7-4 job and get months off every year then a sweet retirement package the private sector only dreams about. Oh, and once past probation you have to basically commit a felony to get fired.

Teachers have it so bad.

OH but teachers don't deserve a pension or benefits or anything like that. It's such an easy job. Minimum wage, maybe less. Aren't they just babysitters?

This is how we're treating teachers and now, this is exactly what we're getting. And, America deserves exactly what is coming because of it. Spiraling right down the drain, like so many other aspects of society. I hate to say it, but we richly deserve what's coming.

Maybe, just maybe teachers should agree that stronger testing and higher standings to remain in the job need to be enacted.

Hard to defend a profession which has unions that fight to keep people who have actually abused children on the payroll. Let alone weeding out teachers who can't teach.

Instead we see teachers pretending they aren't at fault for ANYTHING.

Mega retirement packages? Where do you get that teachers get good retirements? Are there some districts that have good retirements? Sure! Are they as common as you think? Not hardly.

I'll give you a salary comparison from my own experience a few years ago to show you how much difference there is..

I was an assistant principal in Florida, working year round, and making $42,000 a year in 2006. I got two weeks vacation per year and no paid time off during breaks except the holidays.

I left there and took a job teaching 10 and 1/2 months out of the year, nearly 6 weeks off in the summer, all normal breaks and holidays. It was the first Veteran's Day I ever had off as a teacher. My paycheck? Within $700 of the previous job. Much less stress, better retirement, kids who actually cared about making the grade. A 100% graduation rate, and I was getting paid for any work I did outside of actual class time that was not academic in nature.

Where was the unicorn of the teaching profession? There are only two high schools in the US that have these jobs because they are located on US Army posts.

Maybe, just maybe teachers should agree that stronger testing and higher standings to remain in the job need to be enacted.

Hard to defend a profession which has unions that fight to keep people who have actually abused children on the payroll. Let alone weeding out teachers who can't teach.

Why do you oppose due process?

I lost my assistant principal position because my boss wanted the job for her best friend. She told me that my contract was not being renewed after I saw my job posted in an email to the district. The reason we have unions is because administrators and school district personnel did this to teachers for a long time. I did nothing wrong, and she knew it, yet she could kick me to the curb in favor of her friend.

7-4 job and get months off every year then a sweet retirement package the private sector only dreams about. Oh, and once past probation you have to basically commit a felony to get fired.

Teachers have it so bad.

I spent 4 years at a school and was on track for tenure. These days, schools never let anyone stay to achieve tenure because it is cheaper to hire a newby out of college at a lower salary.

My position that I left after 4 years has never had a teacher last more than one year since.

I lost my assistant principal position because my boss wanted the job for her best friend. She told me that my contract was not being renewed after I saw my job posted in an email to the district. The reason we have unions is because administrators and school district personnel did this to teachers for a long time. I did nothing wrong, and she knew it, yet she could kick me to the curb in favor of her friend.

Oh well, you don't have a right to a job. Though certainly I would hope that supervisors would hire the best person for the job, why should teaching be any different than any other job in that regard? If you work at let's say GM and they want to fire you, you're out. Why would teaching be any different (except for having the same protections as the guy or ga at GM does against discrimination etc etc)

As for due process, that's a legal term and has nothing to do with being fired from a job that due process is whatever is in your contract with your employer which could mean no due process and if you agreed to that, o h well.

Oh well, you don't have a right to a job. Though certainly I would hope that supervisors would hire the best person for the job, why should teaching be any different than any other job in that regard? If you work at let's say GM and they want to fire you, you're out. Why would teaching be any different (except for having the same protections as the guy or ga at GM does against discrimination etc etc)

As for due process, that's a legal term and has nothing to do with being fired from a job that due process is whatever is in your contract with your employer which could mean no due process and if you agreed to that, o h well.

I am sorry, but you do not have a clue as to what you are discussing.

If you get fired at GM, there is Ford and Chrysler, right there. Schools don't work that way. The major difference is teachers are licensed/certified. Autoworkers are not.

I can't drop my job in my state and go next door and pick up a job tomorrow. That's not how it works.

Most of the time these teachers being fired for misconduct are not being afforded due process. They are just being fired for no cause, based on rumor or innuendo. I agree there are times that it seems ridiculous, but that is the price we pay for protecting everyone else.

If you get fired at GM, there is Ford and Chrysler, right there. Schools don't work that way. The major difference is teachers are licensed/certified. Autoworkers are not.

I can't drop my job in my state and go next door and pick up a job tomorrow. That's not how it works.

Most of the time these teachers being fired for misconduct are not being afforded due process. They are just being fired for no cause, based on rumor or innuendo. I agree there are times that it seems ridiculous, but that is the price we pay for protecting everyone else.

Of course you can quit working at a school in your state and go teach at a school in another state, all you have to do is get certified in that state (and of course you wouldn't even have to leave the state you could just go to a different school IN the state)

And those certifications are EASY to get.

Don't make teaching out to be harder than it is.

Of course you can quit working at a school in your state and go teach at a school in another state, all you have to do is get certified in that state (and of course you wouldn't even have to leave the state you could just go to a different school IN the state)

You know nothing about the certification process do you? Typical.

You know nothing about the certification process do you? Typical.

Of course I do , I also know that in most states the certifications are reciprocal and al you have to do is take a few clesses in the summer if you have a certification in another state.

What you REALLY meant was "If a teacher goes from one state to another they lose credit for time on their pension, so most teacherst don't WANT to do that"

Teaching License Reciprocity Guidelines by State

Forum List

Back