It turns out the South is honest, not fat

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
What will rdean say about all those fat white racist now?

The South often gets tagged with having the most obese population. But it doesn't appear to be true, a University of Alabama at Birmingham study suggests.
The study recently published in the journal Obesity found that there's a significantly higher percentage of obese people in a region of central and northwest states including Minnesota, Kansas and North and South Dakota.
"What we found is the West North Central region has about 41 percent obesity compared to 31 percent obesity in the southern region that includes Alabama and Mississippi," said George Howard, professor in the Department of Biostatics at UAB. "By the way, 31 percent is not a good thing -- but it's not at the bottom."
How did Southerners get such a fat reputation? Apparently because they are more truthful.

People in the South are not so fat after all -- and they lie less | al.com

The South often gets tagged with having the most obese population. But it doesn't appear to be true, a University of Alabama at Birmingham study suggests.
The study recently published in the journal Obesity found that there's a significantly higher percentage of obese people in a region of central and northwest states including Minnesota, Kansas and North and South Dakota.
"What we found is the West North Central region has about 41 percent obesity compared to 31 percent obesity in the southern region that includes Alabama and Mississippi," said George Howard, professor in the Department of Biostatics at UAB. "By the way, 31 percent is not a good thing -- but it's not at the bottom."
How did Southerners get such a fat reputation? Apparently because they are more truthful.

Now that's interesting.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the most obese states are Mississippi, Louisiana, West Virginia, Alabama, Michigan, Oklahoma, Indiana, South Carolina, Kentucky and Texas. Yup, no Southern states there! :confused:
Most and Least Obese U.S. States - US News and World Report

Now that's interesting.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the most obese states are Mississippi, Louisiana, West Virginia, Alabama, Michigan, Oklahoma, Indiana, South Carolina, Kentucky and Texas. Yup, no Southern states there! :confused:

I think you should take the time to actually read the article I linked to, it actually talks about that CDC report, and a phenomena known as social desirability.

Now that's interesting.

I think you should take the time to actually read the article I linked to, it actually talks about that CDC report, and a phenomena known as social desirability.

It seems that those folks in Alabama fudged their report to make their native state look better than it is! :eusa_shhh:
OK, try this report from the Gallup and Healthways Well-Being Index. Interestingly, it has eight Southern states with six states also mentioned in the CDC report, so they must be wrong too!
The states with the highest obesity rates include: West Virginia, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Ohio, Oklahoma, and Iowa.
Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index

Last edited:
Now that's interesting.

You just insist on being wrong no matter what evidence is presented. These numbers come from a telephone poll, the

It seems that those folks in Alabama fudged their report to make their native state look better than it is! :eusa_shhh:
OK, try this report from the Gallup and Healthways Well-Being Index. Interestingly, it has eight Southern states with six states also mentioned in the CDC report, so they must be wrong too!
The states with the highest obesity rates include: West Virginia, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Ohio, Oklahoma, and Iowa.
Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index

Another report that relies on the results of a telephone poll, which the article I cited pointed out, versus the numbers from a long term study on strokes, which is done by actual doctors.

The geographic distribution of obesity in the US and the potential regional differences in misreporting of obesity - Le - Obesity - Wiley Online Library

Tell me something, moron, which numbers do you think are more accurate? A poll where the respondents give their height and weight, or a study conducted by actual doctors where they measure the height and weight using calibrated scales?

But southerners are still dumb...right?

But southerners are still dumb...right?

On the average, they are smarter than you.

Whatever faults people from the south may have, their food is incredible.

People from the West North Central? What the hell do they have that's worth getting fat off of?

Well, I live in Florida but I have to admit that the folks in Denver sure know how to make green chile.

I went to a Seafood Restaurant in Georgia a while back, everything was deep fried. They even had these little balls of batter that were deep fried, nothing in them, just batter.

Someone said; "Oh we call those Hush Puppies!" I thought to myself; "I'll just call it disgusting".

Why does anybody give a damn if other people are overweight? What business is it of someone else?

We've become a nation of window-peeping do-gooders, peering into the lives of others and clucking our collective tongues in disapproval. The excuse is the cost of healthcare, but the real motivation is as old as time: Pride. We want to feel superior to those "unfortunates" who aren't as smart and good looking as us.

I went to a Seafood Restaurant in Georgia a while back, everything was deep fried. They even had these little balls of batter that were deep fried, nothing in them, just batter.

Someone said; "Oh we call those Hush Puppies!" I thought to myself; "I'll just call it disgusting".

If you think southern food is disgusting, stay the hell out of the South or bring your own bean curds and low-calorie latte'.

People from the West North Central? What the hell do they have that's worth getting fat off of?

Their BBQ is great. Most other foods are either too greasy or too sweet

Yeah....we all know how sweet mexican and cajun food is. And as far as being greasy goes you must be eating at the wrong places.

Now that's interesting.

jesuslanders love their fat back and lard, thats why they call it stroke alley

Stroke Belt or Stroke Alley is a name given to a region in the southeastern United States that has been recognized by public health authorities for having an unusually high incidence of stroke and other forms of cardiovascular disease. It is typically defined as an 11-state region consisting of Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia.

Stroke Belt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:eusa_whistle:

Last edited:

I live in Minneapolis, which of course is in Minnesota and I have a really tough time agreeing with the OP when he mentions Minnesota as being one of the leading states as far as being fat.
First of all, Minnesota is constantly ranked as being the healthiest state or near the top in every study conducted. Now that would be an amazing feat if it was also one of the fattest states in the country. Being fat yet being named the healthiest just doesn't make sense at all.
Secondly, a huge majority of Minnesota's population lives in the twin cities metro area. The Twin Cites is constantly ranked very high as being one of the fittest metros in the country by fitness publications. Fit, yet fat? Really?
Lastly, I would suggest that obesity is more prevalent in the rural areas which would be true for most states.

I went to a Seafood Restaurant in Mississippi once. I found that my expectation of seafood was quite a bit different than theirs. Anything that swims in water was seafood so the menu consisted of crawfish, gator, frog legs as well as shrimp

Yeah....we all know how sweet mexican and cajun food is. And as far as being greasy goes you must be eating at the wrong places.

Explain Sweet Tea

Tea colored sugar water

Forum List

Back