It turns out the South is honest, not fat

What will rdean say about all those fat white racist now?

The South often gets tagged with having the most obese population. But it doesn't appear to be true, a University of Alabama at Birmingham study suggests.
The study recently published in the journal Obesity found that there's a significantly higher percentage of obese people in a region of central and northwest states including Minnesota, Kansas and North and South Dakota.
"What we found is the West North Central region has about 41 percent obesity compared to 31 percent obesity in the southern region that includes Alabama and Mississippi," said George Howard, professor in the Department of Biostatics at UAB. "By the way, 31 percent is not a good thing -- but it's not at the bottom."
How did Southerners get such a fat reputation? Apparently because they are more truthful.
People in the South are not so fat after all -- and they lie less | al.com

I live in Minneapolis, which of course is in Minnesota and I have a really tough time agreeing with the OP when he mentions Minnesota as being one of the leading states as far as being fat.
First of all, Minnesota is constantly ranked as being the healthiest state or near the top in every study conducted. Now that would be an amazing feat if it was also one of the fattest states in the country. Being fat yet being named the healthiest just doesn't make sense at all.
Secondly, a huge majority of Minnesota's population lives in the twin cities metro area. The Twin Cites is constantly ranked very high as being one of the fittest metros in the country by fitness publications. Fit, yet fat? Really?
Lastly, I would suggest that obesity is more prevalent in the rural areas which would be true for most states.

I don't give a fuck if you disagree with scientific data or not. If you don't like the actual numbers, dig into them and find out where they screwed up, don't keep presenting the same telephone survey in various forms and pretend you are being smart.

Why does anybody give a damn if other people are overweight? What business is it of someone else?

We've become a nation of window-peeping do-gooders, peering into the lives of others and clucking our collective tongues in disapproval. The excuse is the cost of healthcare, but the real motivation is as old as time: Pride. We want to feel superior to those "unfortunates" who aren't as smart and good looking as us.

If adults want to let themselves become obese, it's one thing but letting their kids become obese is a form of child abuse and it's setting them up for a lifetime of misery.

Blount disease.
Excess weight on growing bones can lead to this bone deformity of the lower legs.
Arthritis.
Wear and tear on the joints from carrying extra weight can cause this painful joint problem at a young age.
Slipped capital femoral epiphyses (SCFE).
Obese children and teens are at greater risk for this painful hip problem. SCFE requires immediate attention and surgery to prevent further damage to the joint.
Asthma.
Obesity is associated with breathing problems that can make it harder to keep up with friends, play sports, or just walk from class to class.
Sleep apnea.
This condition (where a person temporarily stops breathing during sleep) is a serious problem for many overweight kids and adults. Not only does it interrupt sleep, sleep apnea can leave people feeling tired and affect their ability to concentrate and learn. It also may lead to heart problems.
High blood pressure.
When blood pressure is high, the heart must pump harder and the arteries must carry blood that's moving under greater pressure. If the problem continues for a long time, the heart and arteries may no longer work as well as they should. Although rare in most teens, high blood pressure, or hypertension, is more common in overweight or obese teens.
High cholesterol.
Long before getting sick, obese teens may have abnormal blood lipid levels, including high cholesterol, low HDL ("good") cholesterol, and high triglyceride levels. These increase the risk of heart attack and stroke when a person gets older.
Gallstones.
An accumulation of bile that hardens in the gallbladder forms gallstones. These may be painful and require surgery.
Fatty liver.
When fat accumulates in the liver, it can cause inflammation, scarring, and permanent liver damage.
Pseudotumor cerebri.
This is a rare cause of severe headaches in obese teens and adults. There is no tumor, but pressure builds in the brain. In addition to headaches, symptoms may include vomiting, unsteady walking, and vision problems that might become permanent if not treated.
Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS).
Girls who are overweight may miss periods — or not get their periods at all — and might have elevated testosterone (the male hormone) levels in the blood. Although it's normal for girls to have some testosterone in their blood, too much can interfere with normal ovulation and can cause excess hair growth, worsening acne, and male-type baldness. PCOS is associated with insulin resistance, a precursor to developing type 2 diabetes. Overweight women also might have fertility problems.
Insulin resistance and diabetes.
When there is excess body fat, insulin is less effective at getting glucose, the body's main source of energy, into cells. More insulin becomes needed to maintain a normal blood sugar. For some overweight teens, insulin resistance may progress to diabetes (high blood sugar).
Depression.
People who are obese are more likely to be depressed and have lower self-esteem.

When Being Overweight Is a Health Problem

Whatever faults people from the south may have, their food is incredible.

People from the West North Central? What the hell do they have that's worth getting fat off of?

Well, I live in Florida but I have to admit that the folks in Denver sure know how to make green chile.

Yea they make great food. But the OP was talking about Minnesota, South and North Dakota... what could they possibly have?

The South often gets tagged with having the most obese population. But it doesn't appear to be true, a University of Alabama at Birmingham study suggests.
The study recently published in the journal Obesity found that there's a significantly higher percentage of obese people in a region of central and northwest states including Minnesota, Kansas and North and South Dakota.
"What we found is the West North Central region has about 41 percent obesity compared to 31 percent obesity in the southern region that includes Alabama and Mississippi," said George Howard, professor in the Department of Biostatics at UAB. "By the way, 31 percent is not a good thing -- but it's not at the bottom."
How did Southerners get such a fat reputation? Apparently because they are more truthful.

Ohh... okay, the Conseravtive south deflecting things to the Conservative central and north.

I like that.

Sorry, but Minnesota, Kansas, North and South Dakota? Fucking lol.

Also it's completely false anyway. Minnesota, Kansas, North Dakota and South Dakota Are around the 20-30th top states, not the top 5. Those are Mississippi, Alabama, West Virginia, Louisiana, South Carolina, etc.

Last edited:
and a phenomena known as social desirability.

That's the reason why conservatives tell pollsters they're so happy, even though everyone can see the sour looks engraved into their faces.

According to the conservative code, loving Jesus always makes you happy, and so if you're not happy, you don't really love Jesus, and thus you're not really a conservative. Since they don't want to be kicked out of the club, the conservatives have a big incentive to fake happiness. Lacking such an incentive, the liberals will be more honest about happiness, and thus score lower.

Last edited:
Why does anybody give a damn if other people are overweight? What business is it of someone else?

We've become a nation of window-peeping do-gooders, peering into the lives of others and clucking our collective tongues in disapproval. The excuse is the cost of healthcare, but the real motivation is as old as time: Pride. We want to feel superior to those "unfortunates" who aren't as smart and good looking as us.

If adults want to let themselves become obese, it's one thing but letting their kids become obese is a form of child abuse and it's setting them up for a lifetime of misery.

Blount disease.
Excess weight on growing bones can lead to this bone deformity of the lower legs.
Arthritis.
Wear and tear on the joints from carrying extra weight can cause this painful joint problem at a young age.
Obese children and teens are at greater risk for this painful hip problem. SCFE requires immediate attention and surgery to prevent further damage to the joint.
Asthma.
Obesity is associated with breathing problems that can make it harder to keep up with friends, play sports, or just walk from class to class.
Sleep apnea.
This condition (where a person temporarily stops breathing during sleep) is a serious problem for many overweight kids and adults. Not only does it interrupt sleep, sleep apnea can leave people feeling tired and affect their ability to concentrate and learn. It also may lead to heart problems.
High blood pressure.
When blood pressure is high, the heart must pump harder and the arteries must carry blood that's moving under greater pressure. If the problem continues for a long time, the heart and arteries may no longer work as well as they should. Although rare in most teens, high blood pressure, or hypertension, is more common in overweight or obese teens.
High cholesterol.
Long before getting sick, obese teens may have abnormal blood lipid levels, including high cholesterol, low HDL ("good") cholesterol, and high triglyceride levels. These increase the risk of heart attack and stroke when a person gets older.
Gallstones.
An accumulation of bile that hardens in the gallbladder forms gallstones. These may be painful and require surgery.
Fatty liver.
When fat accumulates in the liver, it can cause inflammation, scarring, and permanent liver damage.
Pseudotumor cerebri.
This is a rare cause of severe headaches in obese teens and adults. There is no tumor, but pressure builds in the brain. In addition to headaches, symptoms may include vomiting, unsteady walking, and vision problems that might become permanent if not treated.
Girls who are overweight may miss periods — or not get their periods at all — and might have elevated testosterone (the male hormone) levels in the blood. Although it's normal for girls to have some testosterone in their blood, too much can interfere with normal ovulation and can cause excess hair growth, worsening acne, and male-type baldness. PCOS is associated with insulin resistance, a precursor to developing type 2 diabetes. Overweight women also might have fertility problems.
When there is excess body fat, insulin is less effective at getting glucose, the body's main source of energy, into cells. More insulin becomes needed to maintain a normal blood sugar. For some overweight teens, insulin resistance may progress to diabetes (high blood sugar).
Depression.
People who are obese are more likely to be depressed and have lower self-esteem.

And?

Ohh... okay, the Conseravtive south deflecting things to the Conservative central and north.

I like that.

Sorry, but Minnesota, Kansas, North and South Dakota? Fucking lol.

Also it's completely false anyway. Minnesota, Kansas, North Dakota and South Dakota Are around the 20-30th top states, not the top 5. Those are Mississippi, Alabama, West Virginia, Louisiana, South Carolina, etc.

It was a fucking medical study, and I live in California.

What the fuck is your point?

I went to a Seafood Restaurant in Georgia a while back, everything was deep fried. They even had these little balls of batter that were deep fried, nothing in them, just batter.

Someone said; "Oh we call those Hush Puppies!" I thought to myself; "I'll just call it disgusting".
If you think southern food is disgusting, stay the hell out of the South or bring your own bean curds and low-calorie latte'.
Typical "Stupid OldMan" comment.

Did I say all Southern food is disgusting? NO! I said "FRIED FOOD IS DISGUSTING". You're never too old to learn to read and comprehend.

Also, SGt Moron, I don't eat Soy. I don't eat "low cal" either. So go f*ck yourself.

Hit too close to home for you OldMan? You're a Piggie aren't you? How many different meds do you take for your condition?

You're no longer the strong young man hefting an M-60 anymore so you attack others.

Don't worry, no need to feel alone, millions of Americans have that condition too. It's called "Fat, Lazy and Unhappy".

:lol:

Last edited:

I live in Minneapolis, which of course is in Minnesota and I have a really tough time agreeing with the OP when he mentions Minnesota as being one of the leading states as far as being fat.
First of all, Minnesota is constantly ranked as being the healthiest state or near the top in every study conducted. Now that would be an amazing feat if it was also one of the fattest states in the country. Being fat yet being named the healthiest just doesn't make sense at all.
Secondly, a huge majority of Minnesota's population lives in the twin cities metro area. The Twin Cites is constantly ranked very high as being one of the fittest metros in the country by fitness publications. Fit, yet fat? Really?
Lastly, I would suggest that obesity is more prevalent in the rural areas which would be true for most states.

I don't give a fuck if you disagree with scientific data or not. If you don't like the actual numbers, dig into them and find out where they screwed up, don't keep presenting the same telephone survey in various forms and pretend you are being smart.

So I presented two studies which you reject because to think you're right all the time, here's on pertaining to which states are the healthiest. Minnesota is ranked 5th. The thing that brought Minnesota down wasn't obesity but infectious diseases and binge drinking.
America's Healthiest And Unhealthiest States - Forbes.com
Healthiest State Rankings Of 2012
Here's a study that says Minnesota is the 6th fittest state in the country. So according to your study, Minnesota has an obesity problem, yet it's one of the fittest states in the union! That's amazing!!!
Fattest and Fittest States Slideshow: Obesity in Adults & Children
Plus Mens Fitness ranked Minneapolis the 9th fittest and Shape Magazine ranks the city the most fit city.
So I present various studies that contradict your one study, but you're right because in your mind, I'm just pretending I'm smart! Someone has an ego problem.

Obese people have my sympathy.

I don't care what makes them fat, either.

Does it really matter if they're fat because their hunger regulators are out of kilter and therefore they eat too much, or if they have a glandular condition?

I don't think it really does.

Either way they're the poor sods who have to put up with it.

Blount disease.
Arthritis.
Asthma.
Sleep apnea.
High blood pressure.
High cholesterol.
Gallstones.
Fatty liver.
Pseudotumor cerebri.
Depression.

And?

Overweight, huh?

So I presented two studies which you reject because to think you're right all the time, here's on pertaining to which states are the healthiest. Minnesota is ranked 5th. The thing that brought Minnesota down wasn't obesity but infectious diseases and binge drinking.
Here's a study that says Minnesota is the 6th fittest state in the country. So according to your study, Minnesota has an obesity problem, yet it's one of the fittest states in the union! That's amazing!!!
Plus Mens Fitness ranked Minneapolis the 9th fittest and Shape Magazine ranks the city the most fit city.
So I present various studies that contradict your one study, but you're right because in your mind, I'm just pretending I'm smart! Someone has an ego problem.

You did not present any studies, you presented two articles about one study. I pointed out that the study you are relying on is the exact same one the article I presented is criticizing and citing another study about stroke, which was done by doctors actually weighing their patients, and measuring their heights.

You keep circling back to the same CDC survey, throwing in other surveys, and I keep pointing to the scientific study I am relying.

You are 100% correct, someone has an ego problem. You were presented with actual evidence that you find impossible to accept, so you keep digging up surveys, which are opinions, to refute actual numbers. You have an ego problem, you refuse to admit that what you know is wrong.

Blount disease.
Arthritis.
Asthma.
Sleep apnea.
High blood pressure.
High cholesterol.
Gallstones.
Fatty liver.
Pseudotumor cerebri.
Depression.

And?

Overweight, huh?

Of course I am overweight, everyone is. Did you know that most body builders are morbidly obese if you look them up on those charts the government puts put?

You did not present any studies, you presented two articles about one study. I pointed out that the study you are relying on is the exact same one the article I presented is criticizing and citing another study about stroke, which was done by doctors actually weighing their patients, and measuring their heights.

You keep circling back to the same CDC survey, throwing in other surveys, and I keep pointing to the scientific study I am relying.

You are 100% correct, someone has an ego problem. You were presented with actual evidence that you find impossible to accept, so you keep digging up surveys, which are opinions, to refute actual numbers. You have an ego problem, you refuse to admit that what you know is wrong.

Quantum, about a year ago or so you gave me positive reps because I admitted I was wrong. I had admitted I was wrong previous times to your rep and I have done it since. To err is human.
Minnesota has been honored consistently for it's healthy citizens and for it's fitness level. Why not see if I'm kidding, I'm not. How in the hell can a state known in the health and fitness communities as one of the elite states be one of the fattest?

Forum List

Back