Is Atheism a Religion or a severe mental disorder?

Part of me says it is a religion, but part of me says it is a severe mental disorder along the lines of liberalism and the AGW cult.

How could any sane person go on and on talking and preaching about something that they consider don't exists?

I don't post constantly post about invisible flying pink elephants, why?

Because it rarely crosses my mind....

What sane person would constantly think about something that they think don't exsist?

I don't constantly think about people's belief in goblins, ghost, big foot, UFOs or all the rest, frankly I don't give a crap about them nor do I try to say they don't exsist because myself a truth seeker, a man of science I can not prove they don't exsist with out a doubt.

An interesting piece on Atheism is a religion...

"Religion certainly includes an idea of a God under whom man is inherently subservient, but religion also governs the belief system undergirding the way people think about, and live, their lives.

It tells them who their authority is and it informs their values and behavior. It gives them their sense of morality and goodwill, and it guides them in the way they treat themselves and others. Religion does nothing less than construct one’s view of the world.

Atheists are, in fact, some of the most religious people.

First, they have a functioning God under whom they are subservient (normally it’s science or rationality, but mainly themselves), and that idea of God informs the way they live and interpret their lives. It informs their biases and determines their values, and governs any sense of morality or ethics they adhere too, or ignore.

Once that’s all settled all that’s left is the preaching.

And they preach all the time.

This new breed of atheists is obsessed with the idea of God. They write books, deliver speeches, comment-bomb the evangelical blogosphere and generally rant on ad nauseam about the ills of believing in God.

Honestly – comically – some atheists must type the word “God” on the Internet five times more often than most Christians I know and they do it with the fury of a fire-and-brimstone zealot!

Maybe no one invokes the name of “God” more than they, and they are doing so in more and more virulent ways such as the shocking moment when Dr. Dawkins recently told Al-Jazeera television that he believed being raised Catholic was in itself even more psychologically damaging than being abused by a priest!

Instead of just ignoring God, or the idea of God, atheist preachers feel somehow compelled to rid the Earth of him; so they argue endlessly that theists can’t prove God exists without confessing that they can’t prove he doesn’t either."

There have been many gods all throughout history, and certainty they do exist as people did and do still worship them.

So I can create things by just believing in it?

Nope, that's not the way it works. There is a God. He is one God, has always been the same God, and he created us. Not the other way around. And ultimately, there will be people who are right, and who are wrong, about God.

The people who are wrong..and the people who believe but reject Him anyway...will go to Hell.

The rest of us will enjoy eternal life with Him.

That's the reality. And no matter how much you wish it differently, your wishes won't change the reality.
Perfect example of someone who is so delusional they don't hear the stupidity coming out of their keyboards/mouths. We laugh at you.

And Hell is by the way just a scare tactic to con gullible people into believing. That and the promise of eternal life. Its so obviously man made bullshit. Funny because it is your wishes that won't change reality.

Why is it now that we have developed rational inquiry we hear only a deafening silence from a god who once supposedly engaged regularly in human affairs? Why does god not simply speak to us or appear before us as he supposedly used to? Why are we the losers in the dice roll of time? If a god places such a high value on us worshipping and believing then why not simply make its existence obvious to us?

If one accepts the prevailing scientific understanding of the development of the universe, yet also believes in one of the major religions, then presumably a god sat idle for 13.7 billion years – waiting as the stars, galaxies and planets formed. Then it watched with complete and utter indifference as modern Homo Sapians evolved, struggled and died for a further 150,000 years. Finally, a few thousand years ago, this god suddenly decided to reveal itself to several people in the most primitive, illiterate and remote portions of humanity in a completely unverifiable way – and then simply disappeared.

Violence and killing is a main theme in your God book.

Yes, we already know cupcake you failed history.

View attachment 76041

If you need religion and threats of eternal damnation to have morals, you aren't a good person to begin with. I totally believe that.

Your lack of faith doesn't harm me, just as my faith doesn't harm you. Once we establish that we do have our personal beliefs, why can't we all be satisfied with that?
Hobby Lobby, abortion, stem cell research, evolution, global warming, science, facts, reality.

It's mankind's theme.

Anti-Christians always are confused by the concept that in order for God to be righteous, he has to wipe out evil and corruption.

You can't be righteous, and put up with evil. Sorry.
The god character of the Bible is a misogynistic tyrant that condones and even orders the practice of slavery, rape of women and murder of children. The moment you disagree with a single instruction of the Bible, such as the command to kill any bride who is not a virgin or any child who disrespects their parents, then you acknowledge that there exists a superior standard by which to judge moral action and thus no need to rely on an ancient, primitive and barbaric fantasy.

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?” – Epicurus

Part of me says it is a religion, but part of me says it is a severe mental disorder along the lines of liberalism and the AGW cult.

How could any sane person go on and on talking and preaching about something that they consider don't exists?

What sane person would constantly think about something that they think don't exsist?

I don't constantly think about people's belief in goblins, ghost, big foot, UFOs or all the rest, frankly I don't give a crap about them nor do I try to say they don't exsist because myself a truth seeker, a man of science I can not prove they don't exsist with out a doubt.

"Religion certainly includes an idea of a God under whom man is inherently subservient, but religion also governs the belief system undergirding the way people think about, and live, their lives.

It tells them who their authority is and it informs their values and behavior. It gives them their sense of morality and goodwill, and it guides them in the way they treat themselves and others. Religion does nothing less than construct one’s view of the world.

First, they have a functioning God under whom they are subservient (normally it’s science or rationality, but mainly themselves), and that idea of God informs the way they live and interpret their lives. It informs their biases and determines their values, and governs any sense of morality or ethics they adhere too, or ignore.

This new breed of atheists is obsessed with the idea of God. They write books, deliver speeches, comment-bomb the evangelical blogosphere and generally rant on ad nauseam about the ills of believing in God.

Honestly – comically – some atheists must type the word “God” on the Internet five times more often than most Christians I know and they do it with the fury of a fire-and-brimstone zealot!

Maybe no one invokes the name of “God” more than they, and they are doing so in more and more virulent ways such as the shocking moment when Dr. Dawkins recently told Al-Jazeera television that he believed being raised Catholic was in itself even more psychologically damaging than being abused by a priest!

Instead of just ignoring God, or the idea of God, atheist preachers feel somehow compelled to rid the Earth of him; so they argue endlessly that theists can’t prove God exists without confessing that they can’t prove he doesn’t either."

There have been many gods all throughout history, and certainty they do exist as people did and do still worship them.

Nope, that's not the way it works. There is a God. He is one God, has always been the same God, and he created us. Not the other way around. And ultimately, there will be people who are right, and who are wrong, about God.

The people who are wrong..and the people who believe but reject Him anyway...will go to Hell.

That's the reality. And no matter how much you wish it differently, your wishes won't change the reality.
Perfect example of someone who is so delusional they don't hear the stupidity coming out of their keyboards/mouths. We laugh at you.

And Hell is by the way just a scare tactic to con gullible people into believing. That and the promise of eternal life. Its so obviously man made bullshit. Funny because it is your wishes that won't change reality.

Why is it now that we have developed rational inquiry we hear only a deafening silence from a god who once supposedly engaged regularly in human affairs? Why does god not simply speak to us or appear before us as he supposedly used to? Why are we the losers in the dice roll of time? If a god places such a high value on us worshipping and believing then why not simply make its existence obvious to us?

If one accepts the prevailing scientific understanding of the development of the universe, yet also believes in one of the major religions, then presumably a god sat idle for 13.7 billion years – waiting as the stars, galaxies and planets formed. Then it watched with complete and utter indifference as modern Homo Sapians evolved, struggled and died for a further 150,000 years. Finally, a few thousand years ago, this god suddenly decided to reveal itself to several people in the most primitive, illiterate and remote portions of humanity in a completely unverifiable way – and then simply disappeared.

I know! :desk: Because people made it up, at first to try to explain natural events that they didn't understand, and then corrupt men took it over to "control the masses." Perhaps they weren't all corrupt though. I'm sure there were a lot of bad things going on, and so some of them probably used this as a way to make people "self police" because they didn't have the resources to police large areas. That's my theory anyway.

What is the difference between a religion and a severe mental disorder? ;)

Funny how Jesus could walk around saying he was the son of god and everyone believed him but if he did that today he'd end up on a 3 day Psych hold

That's the reality? There is so much wrong with everything you wrote. First of all, you can't even prove there is a god, heaven or hell. That's brainwashed wishful thinking.

Now now lets say gods do exist. What evidence do you there is only one, other than collectively our primitive ancient uneducated ancestors decided this a long time ago? Do you know why they decided this? The Greek Gods weren't something an organized religion can control. To control sheep, you need one shepherd.

Religion and government. Ah, yes! makes me nostalgic for the good old days when I was growing up in Atlanta. Sunday rolls around, and, by law, everything in the city closes except convience stores, bowling alleys, gas stations movie theaters and pharmacies. In the convenience store, you could buy a bag of chips, but not a spatula. Bars and nightclubs close at 11:45 on Saturday night. The city fathers had decided that this was God's will. I remember my elementary school allowing some religious nuts to hand out free New Testaments to all 7th graders. Not the old Testament, mind you. That was jew stuff. For twelve years we were served fried catfish with cornmeal coating on Fridays at school, to keep the catholics happy. Sometimes we took them home and used them for baseballs. There was sometimes a cross burning on top of stone mountain, and, of course, the day someone bombed the jewish synagogue on Peachtree Street (yes, that scene in "Driving Ms. Daisey" really did happen). Then there was the preachers explaining to the congregations that segregation was god's will, as proved by the fact that colored came from Africa (god had not anticipated ships). Oh, give me that ol' Time Religion"!

Last edited:
God is Imaginary - 50 simple proofs

We know, for example, that the ancient Egyptians believed in their gods so fervently that they built massive structures like the Great Pyramid -- still today one of the largest and most enduring human constructions ever created. Despite that fervor, however, we as a society have decided with complete certainty today that the Egyptian gods were imaginary. Thus we do not build pyramids anymore and we do not mummify our leaders. We reject all of the rituals and ceremonies of the Egyptian religion because there is no evidence of their gods' existence.

More recently we know that tens of millions of Romans worshiped Jupiter and his friends, and to them they built magnificent temples. The ruins of these temples are popular tourist attractions even today. Yet society have decided with complete certainty that these gods were imaginary. Mainline society is no longer building temples to these gods or worshiping them because there is no evidence for their existence.

Much more recently, we know that the Aztec civilization believed in their gods so intensely that they constructed huge temples and pyramids. In addition, Aztecs were so zealous that they were acrificing hundreds of human beings to their gods as recently as the 16th century. Despite the intensity, however, we know today that these gods were imaginary. The Aztecs were insane to be murdering people for their gods. Killing a person has no effect on rainfall or anything else. We all know that. And there is no evidence whatsoever demonstrating that the Aztec gods exist. If the Aztec gods were real, we would still be offering sacrifices to them and these sacrifices would be effective.

Thus we come to understand that he fact that millions of people worship a god is meaningless.

The "God" and the "Jesus" that Christians worship today are actually amalgams formed out of ancient pagan gods. The idea of a "virgin birth", "burial in a rock tomb", "resurrection after 3 days" and "eating of body and drinking of blood" had nothing to do with Jesus. All of the rituals in Christianity are completely man-made. Christianity is a snow ball that rolled over a dozen pagan religions. As the snowball grew, it freely attached pagan rituals and beliefs in order to be more palatable to converts. You can find accounts like these in popular literature:

• "The vestiges of pagan religion in Christian symbology are undeniable. Egyptian sun disks became the halos of Catholic saints. Pictograms of Isis nursing her miraculously conceived son Horus became the blueprint for our modern images of the Virgin Mary nursing Baby Jesus. And virtually all the elements of the Catholic ritual - the miter, the altar, the doxology, and communion, the act of "God-eating" - were taken directly from earlier pagan mystery religions."

• "Nothing in Christianity is original. The pre-Christian God Mithras - called the Son of God and the Light of the World - was born on December 25, died, was buried in a rock tomb, and then resurrected in three days. By the way, December 25 is also the birthday or Osiris, Adonis, and Dionysus. The newborn Krishna was presented with gold, frankincense, and myrrh. Even Christianity's weekly holy day was stolen from the pagans."

the arrogance and self-righteousness of theocrats is amusing.

atheism is not a religion.

and although i am a believer (although not of your particular brand of religion) i would say one could more likely say it could be mental illness to believe there is someone in the air who gives a rat's putout about what you do
Scientism is the religion of most secular humanist atheists. God just gets replaced with "evolution" and the clergy gets replaced with "scientists". It's essentially therefore a progressive religion which can change to mean whatever those in charge (e.x. state-funded scientists) want (just as "science" was once used to say that black people weren't intelligent enough to pursue education) - this is the entire agenda of progressive "evangelical" atheism just as it was with Marxism, it's just being used as an avenue to push their progressive Utilitarian philosophy on the unsuspecting and replace traditional religion with the state.

that is absurd. your fantasies do not constitute reality.

again, secularism, as you call it, is not a religion. it is lack of religion.

language skills are important.

Again what sane person would go on and on about something they don't believe in?

Of course it is a religion to most atheist...with silly boo boo it is an obsession ...

someone who thinks your beliefs are BS. or do you think you have some entitlement to go unchallenged no matter what stupidity you utter?

religion requires belief in a deity or some other worldly power

you need to learn language skills.

and although i am a believer (although not of your particular brand of religion) i would say one could more likely say it could be mental illness to believe there is someone in the air who gives a rat's putout about what you do
Scientism is the religion of most secular humanist atheists. God just gets replaced with "evolution" and the clergy gets replaced with "scientists". It's essentially therefore a progressive religion which can change to mean whatever those in charge (e.x. state-funded scientists) want (just as "science" was once used to say that black people weren't intelligent enough to pursue education) - this is the entire agenda of progressive "evangelical" atheism just as it was with Marxism, it's just being used as an avenue to push their progressive Utilitarian philosophy on the unsuspecting and replace traditional religion with the state.

Again what sane person would go on and on about something they don't believe in?

Of course it is a religion to most atheist...with silly boo boo it is an obsession ...

someone who thinks your beliefs are BS. or do you think you have some entitlement to go unchallenged no matter what stupidity you utter?

He said "sane", Jills. That lets you out.

It was in my op ....

Have anything else?

It was in my op ....

Have anything else?

Atheists are most often called ‘militant’ when they passionately defend reason and advocate critical thinking. The bar theists set for perceived hostility appears to be any atheist simply voicing an opinion in dissent of religious belief. In contrast, the bar atheists set for perceived theistic hostility is any form of religiously motivated violence or oppression.

Atheism does not preclude someone from being argumentative or insensitive; those things are simply seen as being preferable to killing one another over an imaginary friend.

A ‘militant’ atheist will debate in a University theatre or appeal for the separation of religion and government. A militant theist will kill doctors, stone women to death,incite religious war, restrict sexual and gender equality and convince children they areflawed and worthless – all under the instruction of their imagined ‘god’ or holy book.

It can be argued that there is no such thing as a ‘militant’ atheist, that the term is itself a misnomer, because there is simply no ideology or philosophy in atheism to be militant about. If an atheist is someone who lacks belief in gods, then a ‘militant’ atheist is apparently someone who passionately lacks a belief in gods. All other possible beliefs and ideologies – including any desire to oppress theism – come from outside atheism. This is in contrast to religious belief, which often includes a set of laws and commandments purportedly derived from a supernatural source about which one can be ‘militant’.

It was in my op ....

Have anything else?

Atheists are most often called ‘militant’ when they passionately defend reason and advocate critical thinking. The bar theists set for perceived hostility appears to be any atheist simply voicing an opinion in dissent of religious belief. In contrast, the bar atheists set for perceived theistic hostility is any form of religiously motivated violence or oppression.

Atheism does not preclude someone from being argumentative or insensitive; those things are simply seen as being preferable to killing one another over an imaginary friend.

A ‘militant’ atheist will debate in a University theatre or appeal for the separation of religion and government. A militant theist will kill doctors, stone women to death,incite religious war, restrict sexual and gender equality and convince children they areflawed and worthless – all under the instruction of their imagined ‘god’ or holy book.

It can be argued that there is no such thing as a ‘militant’ atheist, that the term is itself a misnomer, because there is simply no ideology or philosophy in atheism to be militant about. If an atheist is someone who lacks belief in gods, then a ‘militant’ atheist is apparently someone who passionately lacks a belief in gods. All other possible beliefs and ideologies – including any desire to oppress theism – come from outside atheism. This is in contrast to religious belief, which often includes a set of laws and commandments purportedly derived from a supernatural source about which one can be ‘militant’.

Anything that causes them to actually think for themselves instead of letting their "book" do the thinking for them is an insult to them, I think. :D

Not to mention some progressives talk about global warming and how it may eventually kill us all.

And of course GW is allegedly brought on by technology and man-made pollution; so atheists have a lot more to fear about science than they do religion.

What is the difference between a religion and a severe mental disorder? ;)

Funny how Jesus could walk around saying he was the son of god and everyone believed him but if he did that today he'd end up on a 3 day Psych hold
If he said to pay taxes and help the poor its Crucifixion city

He went to the preacher, He went to the sheriff
He told them all the same
"Sell all of your jewelry and give it to the poor,"
And they laid Jesus Christ in His grave.
45552.jpg

When Jesus come to town, all the working folks around
Believed what he did say
But the bankers and the preachers, they nailed Him on the cross,
And they laid Jesus Christ in his grave.

Last edited:
Not to mention some progressives talk about global warming and how it may eventually kill us all.

And of course GW is allegedly brought on by technology and man-made pollution; so atheists have a lot more to fear about science than they do religion.

How true,

It was in my op ....

Have anything else?

Everyone has a God, with many its money, some its sex, power, drugs, etc. Being raised as a RC , I believe in the 7 deadly sins, and since I do not know what happens after death, most likely nothing, there is all the more reason to cherish the life of all living creatures and care for the planet. I only talk like this on here, not to most friends or family, since most are RC, they never even read the bible or ancient history. Warning, do not let a Baptist come to my door and tell me how I'm not saved, the nerve that takes. I also believe most TV preachers are atheist and are just preying on the ignorance and suffering of people.

Again, this is the use of these things and not the things in themselves.

Forum List

Back