Is Atheism a Religion or a severe mental disorder?

Atheism is not a religion:

re·li·gion
rəˈlijən/
noun
  1. the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.
    "ideas about the relationship between science and religion"
    synonyms: faith, belief, worship, creed; More
    • a particular system of faith and worship.
      plural noun: religions
      "the world's great religions"
    • a pursuit or interest to which someone ascribes supreme importance.
synonyms: faith, belief,

Fail.
Not believing in something that has no proof to start with isn't a faith or belief, it's more like accepting reality, and the reality is, there is zero proof of a god.
I'm well familiar with the spin, read the posts. Lack of belief is not believing. Not believing in god is atheism, that's English. It isn't a matter of not having enough evidence, the evidence is all around us, no one can make anyone believe something.

We got here somehow, either it was supernatural or natural. That's it. If you have no evidence for a natural creation then you are stepping out in faith to uphold a secular cause.
Actually, I'm agnostic, I see no proof either way for or against the existence of a god(s).
But not knowing why and how we got here isn't evidence of anything, except our ignorance to the question.

Atheism is not a religion:

re·li·gion
rəˈlijən/
noun
  1. the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.
    "ideas about the relationship between science and religion"
    synonyms: faith, belief, worship, creed; More
    • a particular system of faith and worship.
      plural noun: religions
      "the world's great religions"
    • a pursuit or interest to which someone ascribes supreme importance.
synonyms: faith, belief,

Fail.
Not believing in something that has no proof to start with isn't a faith or belief, it's more like accepting reality, and the reality is, there is zero proof of a god.
I'm well familiar with the spin, read the posts. Lack of belief is not believing. Not believing in god is atheism, that's English. It isn't a matter of not having enough evidence, the evidence is all around us, no one can make anyone believe something.

We got here somehow, either it was supernatural or natural. That's it. If you have no evidence for a natural creation then you are stepping out in faith to uphold a secular cause.
Actually, I'm agnostic, I see no proof either way for or against the existence of a god(s).
But not knowing why and how we got here isn't evidence of anything, except our ignorance to the question.
I didn't make those claims. I am a theist, just not religious. We know we are here, it happened somehow. It's not like disbelieving in pink unicorns or whatever the latest atheist argument is.

Part of me says it is a religion, but part of me says it is a severe mental disorder along the lines of liberalism and the AGW cult.

How could any sane person go on and on talking and preaching about something that they consider don't exists?

I don't post constantly post about invisible flying pink elephants, why?

Because it rarely crosses my mind....

What sane person would constantly think about something that they think don't exsist?

I don't constantly think about people's belief in goblins, ghost, big foot, UFOs or all the rest, frankly I don't give a crap about them nor do I try to say they don't exsist because myself a truth seeker, a man of science I can not prove they don't exsist with out a doubt.

An interesting piece on Atheism is a religion...

"Religion certainly includes an idea of a God under whom man is inherently subservient, but religion also governs the belief system undergirding the way people think about, and live, their lives.

It tells them who their authority is and it informs their values and behavior. It gives them their sense of morality and goodwill, and it guides them in the way they treat themselves and others. Religion does nothing less than construct one’s view of the world.

Atheists are, in fact, some of the most religious people.

First, they have a functioning God under whom they are subservient (normally it’s science or rationality, but mainly themselves), and that idea of God informs the way they live and interpret their lives. It informs their biases and determines their values, and governs any sense of morality or ethics they adhere too, or ignore.

Once that’s all settled all that’s left is the preaching.

And they preach all the time.

This new breed of atheists is obsessed with the idea of God. They write books, deliver speeches, comment-bomb the evangelical blogosphere and generally rant on ad nauseam about the ills of believing in God.

Honestly – comically – some atheists must type the word “God” on the Internet five times more often than most Christians I know and they do it with the fury of a fire-and-brimstone zealot!

Maybe no one invokes the name of “God” more than they, and they are doing so in more and more virulent ways such as the shocking moment when Dr. Dawkins recently told Al-Jazeera television that he believed being raised Catholic was in itself even more psychologically damaging than being abused by a priest!

Instead of just ignoring God, or the idea of God, atheist preachers feel somehow compelled to rid the Earth of him; so they argue endlessly that theists can’t prove God exists without confessing that they can’t prove he doesn’t either."

Inability to see the forest through the trees fueled by narcissism.

Part of me says it is a religion, but part of me says it is a severe mental disorder along the lines of liberalism and the AGW cult.

How could any sane person go on and on talking and preaching about something that they consider don't exists?

What sane person would constantly think about something that they think don't exsist?

I don't constantly think about people's belief in goblins, ghost, big foot, UFOs or all the rest, frankly I don't give a crap about them nor do I try to say they don't exsist because myself a truth seeker, a man of science I can not prove they don't exsist with out a doubt.

"Religion certainly includes an idea of a God under whom man is inherently subservient, but religion also governs the belief system undergirding the way people think about, and live, their lives.

It tells them who their authority is and it informs their values and behavior. It gives them their sense of morality and goodwill, and it guides them in the way they treat themselves and others. Religion does nothing less than construct one’s view of the world.

First, they have a functioning God under whom they are subservient (normally it’s science or rationality, but mainly themselves), and that idea of God informs the way they live and interpret their lives. It informs their biases and determines their values, and governs any sense of morality or ethics they adhere too, or ignore.

This new breed of atheists is obsessed with the idea of God. They write books, deliver speeches, comment-bomb the evangelical blogosphere and generally rant on ad nauseam about the ills of believing in God.

Honestly – comically – some atheists must type the word “God” on the Internet five times more often than most Christians I know and they do it with the fury of a fire-and-brimstone zealot!

Maybe no one invokes the name of “God” more than they, and they are doing so in more and more virulent ways such as the shocking moment when Dr. Dawkins recently told Al-Jazeera television that he believed being raised Catholic was in itself even more psychologically damaging than being abused by a priest!

Instead of just ignoring God, or the idea of God, atheist preachers feel somehow compelled to rid the Earth of him; so they argue endlessly that theists can’t prove God exists without confessing that they can’t prove he doesn’t either."

Do you kick your dog because you are mean or because you don't like dogs?

It's basically the church of Satan; atheism shuns the spiritual world, worships the material world which is the domain of the devil and looks to science and materialism to satisfy people's endless lusts, but satisfaction never comes.

Atheism and progressivism are doing Satan's bidding without even realizing it.

It's basically the church of Satan; atheism shuns the spiritual world, worships the material world which is the domain of the devil and looks to science and materialism to satisfy people's endless lusts, but satisfaction never comes.

Right.

So, um, how is it that Satan is barely mentioned in the Bible until the New Testament? Why does your image of the Devil have more to do with Milton than the Bible?

Right.

So, um, how is it that Satan is barely mentioned in the Bible until the New Testament? Why does your image of the Devil have more to do with Milton than the Bible?
Atheists typically believe the material world is all that exists so they worship "science" thinking it will save them, even though the devil is associated with the material world, and God with the spiritual world, not just in the Bible but in various other religious and philosophical texts as well.

Right.

Atheists typically believe the material world is all that exists so they worship "science" thinking it will save them, even though the devil is associated with the material world, and God with the spiritual world, not just in the Bible but in various other religious and philosophical texts as well.
So you're a book worshipper. How sad.

In a move to "cut costs" the GOP says society must limit its concern for "others" to the fetal gestation period from conception to the moment of birth ...once the human is born into the "world of the cross" [Humanity on a Cross of Steel edition] then it is important to be heartless Darwinian and Ayn Rand dickish to the "human being"...Feeding a human after they are born is like "feeding wild animals" added spokes person ........
hqdefault.jpg
FoxScream.jpg

when you say "they worship science" ...what do you mean and describe worship service for science ...what is that like

I consider myself an agnostic with strong atheistic leanings and I have always been amused by rabid atheists.

I was never offended by someone else's religion because I don't believe in a god and I can't understand people who say they are atheists but obsess about religion all the time.

IMO god is no more or less offensive than Mickey Mouse or Bugs Bunny

You would be right if it weren't for government enacting harmful policies based entirely on some people's religious beliefs. Religion taking over government is a major cause of terrorism.

To believe is science is to worship science ... I am betting the "talking snake" is behind all this nefarious scientific worship ....
TGravatarBicubic.gif

Guy, when you get sick, do you pray to get better, or do you go to a Doctor and expect him to apply science to save you?

My guess is you do both...

I consider myself an agnostic with strong atheistic leanings and I have always been amused by rabid atheists.

I was never offended by someone else's religion because I don't believe in a god and I can't understand people who say they are atheists but obsess about religion all the time.

IMO god is no more or less offensive than Mickey Mouse or Bugs Bunny

You would be right if it weren't for government enacting harmful policies based entirely on some people's religious beliefs. Religion taking over government is a major cause of terrorism.
What policies are those?

the arrogance and self-righteousness of theocrats is amusing.

atheism is not a religion.

and although i am a believer (although not of your particular brand of religion) i would say one could more likely say it could be mental illness to believe there is someone in the air who gives a rat's putout about what you do

I don't know what it is but atheists sure spend a lot of time whining about something they supposedly don't believe in. It's as if they keep having to convince themselves
When you learn earth shattering news you want to tell everyone.

People who believe in pink elephants don't chop off heads or stop stem cell research.

Religion is holding us back. The sooner you realize there is no God the better.

the arrogance and self-righteousness of theocrats is amusing.

atheism is not a religion.

and although i am a believer (although not of your particular brand of religion) i would say one could more likely say it could be mental illness to believe there is someone in the air who gives a rat's putout about what you do
Scientism is the religion of most secular humanist atheists. God just gets replaced with "evolution" and the clergy gets replaced with "scientists". It's essentially therefore a progressive religion which can change to mean whatever those in charge (e.x. state-funded scientists) want (just as "science" was once used to say that black people weren't intelligent enough to pursue education) - this is the entire agenda of progressive "evangelical" atheism just as it was with Marxism, it's just being used as an avenue to push their progressive Utilitarian philosophy on the unsuspecting and replace traditional religion with the state.

Forum List

Back