Is Atheism a Religion or a severe mental disorder?

I hear ya... My main gal pal is Greek. She is Devout! She really believes that crap. We never talk religion and we get along great. She knows I'm an atheist and deep down I think she has my ass covered with the Jesus thing because she believes with absolutely zero evidence that she's right and I am just flat wrong. So she prays for me. I just take it that in her own way she cares very much and accepts that I am who I am and she will do the believing for both of us. I never tell her that she is silly about it. She is happy believing so why would I want to take that away? It's weird though how sure she is. I'm sort of glad that when she dies she won't ever learn the truth. That's the beauty of the Christian religion scam. Nobody is ever the wiser.
Think about all the different levels of believing. Some people won't even allow their minds to do enough thinking to understand they are in a cult. They think that kind of thinking is the devil talking.

Then there are the theists who deep down know we are right but operate from a "its better to be safe than sorry" position.

Cognitive dissonance.
Not at all. You cannot discount the accuracy of Bible prophecy. Not a single one has been proven to be false. That is how we know the Bible is the word of God.
History repeats itself.

You know who's convinced by those vague (virtually unknown) prophecies? You!

Not the Jews not the Muslims Mormons or atheists.

Wait, are the prophecies in the old or new testament? Because remember they call bs on your Jesus stories and they were there!
I rated your last two replies as funny, only because they don't have the option for pathetically laughable. God is surely laughing at you.
Who? What evidence do you have? STP talking about God as if he exists when you haven't established that yet. I have a book too. It's 3000 years old and it warns that the Jews have made up this story called religion and it's sweeping the globe. They made it up. There was no moses. And now other spin-off religions (cults) are popping up everywhere.

And you can't carbon date my book because you don't believe that science
I DO believe in science. Real science, that is. Think about it. What evidence do they have for evolution? The answer is none. That's a fact.

I believe water boils at sea level when it reaches 212 deg Fahrenheit. When it gets hot enough the molecules react by expanding into a gas. It doesn't take a god to make the water boil.

The bootstrap comparison is beyond stupid.
Forget trying to explain why the God hypothesis is nothing more than a hypothesis to someone who believes it visited their ancestors.

Forget trying to explain it to these dupes that it wasn't really THEIR ancestors...at least not mine. There were Irish BEFORE there was a god. :lol:
11 entrepreneur Jews read a prophesy and decided to capitalize on a new cult. First thing they did was sell it to my dumb ancestors the Greeks. You should see how even today my yaya and aunt eat that God shit up because they too didn't know science in the 1900s

I hear ya... My main gal pal is Greek. She is Devout! She really believes that crap. We never talk religion and we get along great. She knows I'm an atheist and deep down I think she has my ass covered with the Jesus thing because she believes with absolutely zero evidence that she's right and I am just flat wrong. So she prays for me. I just take it that in her own way she cares very much and accepts that I am who I am and she will do the believing for both of us. I never tell her that she is silly about it. She is happy believing so why would I want to take that away? It's weird though how sure she is. I'm sort of glad that when she dies she won't ever learn the truth. That's the beauty of the Christian religion scam. Nobody is ever the wiser.
Think about all the different levels of believing. Some people won't even allow their minds to do enough thinking to understand they are in a cult. They think that kind of thinking is the devil talking.

Then there are the theists who deep down know we are right but operate from a "its better to be safe than sorry" position.

Cognitive dissonance.

Controlling the minds of any cult's membership is the most important goal of the leadership. Constant propaganda and misinformation keeps the weak minded dupes under control.

Forget trying to explain why the God hypothesis is nothing more than a hypothesis to someone who believes it visited their ancestors.

Forget trying to explain it to these dupes that it wasn't really THEIR ancestors...at least not mine. There were Irish BEFORE there was a god. :lol:
11 entrepreneur Jews read a prophesy and decided to capitalize on a new cult. First thing they did was sell it to my dumb ancestors the Greeks. You should see how even today my yaya and aunt eat that God shit up because they too didn't know science in the 1900s

Cognitive dissonance.
Not at all. You cannot discount the accuracy of Bible prophecy. Not a single one has been proven to be false. That is how we know the Bible is the word of God.

Spoken like a truly brainwashed idiot.

Hey Sparky... there is no sky fairy. Deal with it.

Cognitive dissonance.
History repeats itself.

You know who's convinced by those vague (virtually unknown) prophecies? You!

Not the Jews not the Muslims Mormons or atheists.

Wait, are the prophecies in the old or new testament? Because remember they call bs on your Jesus stories and they were there!
I rated your last two replies as funny, only because they don't have the option for pathetically laughable. God is surely laughing at you.
Who? What evidence do you have? STP talking about God as if he exists when you haven't established that yet. I have a book too. It's 3000 years old and it warns that the Jews have made up this story called religion and it's sweeping the globe. They made it up. There was no moses. And now other spin-off religions (cults) are popping up everywhere.

And you can't carbon date my book because you don't believe that science
I DO believe in science. Real science, that is. Think about it. What evidence do they have for evolution? The answer is none. That's a fact.

The only fact here is that you are a willfully ignorant asshole.

Atheism is the natural outcome of capitalism.
Atheism happens when people are truly free to think. In Samos, Greece they were free from the ruling clergy/government and that's where science was born.

Instead of praying to get better they started eating right getting rest and exercising.

Atheism happens when people are truly free to think. In Samos, Greece they were free from the ruling clergy/government and that's where science was born.

Instead of praying to get better they started eating right getting rest and exercising.

So that's when the pyramid health food scam was invented ..parallel to the exercise gym membership scheme.

Or did these primitive marketing scams begin earlier in human development???

And capitalism gives the freedom to think because they are able to eat, rest, exercise. I love the irony.

Atheism is the complete and total rejection of anything made up by organized religion. So deep is their disgust that they even refuse to contemplate the mere possibility of a god existing.

Atheism is the complete and total rejection of anything made up by organized religion. So deep is their disgust that they even refuse to contemplate the mere possibility of a god existing.
But we acknowledge there COULD be a god. We also acknowledge we would have to be a god ourselves to know there wasn't a god. But what we are atheistic about is people who claim they know god exists. For example, he talked to Joseph Smith and told him the laws he wanted us to follow. On that I am atheist. Same with this Jesus guy saying only Christians go to heaven and the rest burn in hell. I reject that 100%. I am certain that god doesn't exist.

So I am only agnostic atheist when it comes to the absolute most generic form of god out there. The one that no one has ever seen or heard or received gifts from. One where if it existed, does not care about you and has not built a heaven for you. That's just primitive man's superstitious wishful thinking.

But we acknowledge there COULD be a god. We also acknowledge we would have to be a god ourselves to know there wasn't a god. But what we are atheistic about is people who claim they know god exists. For example, he talked to Joseph Smith and told him the laws he wanted us to follow. On that I am atheist. Same with this Jesus guy saying only Christians go to heaven and the rest burn in hell. I reject that 100%. I am certain that god doesn't exist.

So I am only agnostic atheist when it comes to the absolute most generic form of god out there. The one that no one has ever seen or heard or received gifts from. One where if it existed, does not care about you and has not built a heaven for you. That's just primitive man's superstitious wishful thinking.
You can't be both agnostic and atheist. Athiests say no god can exist. Agnostics say there's no proof yet for a god, but they don't rule it out.

I consider myself an agnostic with strong atheistic leanings and I have always been amused by rabid atheists.

I was never offended by someone else's religion because I don't believe in a god and I can't understand people who say they are atheists but obsess about religion all the time.

IMO god is no more or less offensive than Mickey Mouse or Bugs Bunny

Has anyone ever blown up a building because of Bugs Bunny? Shot a doctor because Bugs Bunny said to? Tried to deny an employee medical coverage because Bugs Bunny said so.
I see you responded to the main point of the OP, yet the OP himself or anyone else has been able to counter this.

Part of me says it is a religion, but part of me says it is a severe mental disorder along the lines of liberalism and the AGW cult.

How could any sane person go on and on talking and preaching about something that they consider don't exists?

I don't post constantly post about invisible flying pink elephants, why?

Because it rarely crosses my mind....

What sane person would constantly think about something that they think don't exsist?

I don't constantly think about people's belief in goblins, ghost, big foot, UFOs or all the rest, frankly I don't give a crap about them nor do I try to say they don't exsist because myself a truth seeker, a man of science I can not prove they don't exsist with out a doubt.

An interesting piece on Atheism is a religion...

"Religion certainly includes an idea of a God under whom man is inherently subservient, but religion also governs the belief system undergirding the way people think about, and live, their lives.

It tells them who their authority is and it informs their values and behavior. It gives them their sense of morality and goodwill, and it guides them in the way they treat themselves and others. Religion does nothing less than construct one’s view of the world.

Atheists are, in fact, some of the most religious people.

First, they have a functioning God under whom they are subservient (normally it’s science or rationality, but mainly themselves), and that idea of God informs the way they live and interpret their lives. It informs their biases and determines their values, and governs any sense of morality or ethics they adhere too, or ignore.

Once that’s all settled all that’s left is the preaching.

And they preach all the time.

This new breed of atheists is obsessed with the idea of God. They write books, deliver speeches, comment-bomb the evangelical blogosphere and generally rant on ad nauseam about the ills of believing in God.

Honestly – comically – some atheists must type the word “God” on the Internet five times more often than most Christians I know and they do it with the fury of a fire-and-brimstone zealot!

Maybe no one invokes the name of “God” more than they, and they are doing so in more and more virulent ways such as the shocking moment when Dr. Dawkins recently told Al-Jazeera television that he believed being raised Catholic was in itself even more psychologically damaging than being abused by a priest!

Instead of just ignoring God, or the idea of God, atheist preachers feel somehow compelled to rid the Earth of him; so they argue endlessly that theists can’t prove God exists without confessing that they can’t prove he doesn’t either."

the arrogance and self-righteousness of theocrats is amusing.

atheism is not a religion.

and although i am a believer (although not of your particular brand of religion) i would say one could more likely say it could be mental illness to believe there is someone in the air who gives a rat's putout about what you do
Scientism is the religion of most secular humanist atheists. God just gets replaced with "evolution" and the clergy gets replaced with "scientists". It's essentially therefore a progressive religion which can change to mean whatever those in charge (e.x. state-funded scientists) want (just as "science" was once used to say that black people weren't intelligent enough to pursue education) - this is the entire agenda of progressive "evangelical" atheism just as it was with Marxism, it's just being used as an avenue to push their progressive Utilitarian philosophy on the unsuspecting and replace traditional religion with the state.

that is absurd. your fantasies do not constitute reality.

again, secularism, as you call it, is not a religion. it is lack of religion.

language skills are important.

Again what sane person would go on and on about something they don't believe in?

Of course it is a religion to most atheist...with silly boo boo it is an obsession ...

This was already answered. You posed a question and JoeB131 answered it in post 6 and 7. Now man up and respond.

Part of me says it is a religion, but part of me says it is a severe mental disorder along the lines of liberalism and the AGW cult.

How could any sane person go on and on talking and preaching about something that they consider don't exists?

I don't post constantly post about invisible flying pink elephants, why?

Because it rarely crosses my mind....

What sane person would constantly think about something that they think don't exsist?

I don't constantly think about people's belief in goblins, ghost, big foot, UFOs or all the rest, frankly I don't give a crap about them nor do I try to say they don't exsist because myself a truth seeker, a man of science I can not prove they don't exsist with out a doubt.

An interesting piece on Atheism is a religion...

"Religion certainly includes an idea of a God under whom man is inherently subservient, but religion also governs the belief system undergirding the way people think about, and live, their lives.

It tells them who their authority is and it informs their values and behavior. It gives them their sense of morality and goodwill, and it guides them in the way they treat themselves and others. Religion does nothing less than construct one’s view of the world.

Atheists are, in fact, some of the most religious people.

First, they have a functioning God under whom they are subservient (normally it’s science or rationality, but mainly themselves), and that idea of God informs the way they live and interpret their lives. It informs their biases and determines their values, and governs any sense of morality or ethics they adhere too, or ignore.

Once that’s all settled all that’s left is the preaching.

And they preach all the time.

This new breed of atheists is obsessed with the idea of God. They write books, deliver speeches, comment-bomb the evangelical blogosphere and generally rant on ad nauseam about the ills of believing in God.

Honestly – comically – some atheists must type the word “God” on the Internet five times more often than most Christians I know and they do it with the fury of a fire-and-brimstone zealot!

Maybe no one invokes the name of “God” more than they, and they are doing so in more and more virulent ways such as the shocking moment when Dr. Dawkins recently told Al-Jazeera television that he believed being raised Catholic was in itself even more psychologically damaging than being abused by a priest!

Instead of just ignoring God, or the idea of God, atheist preachers feel somehow compelled to rid the Earth of him; so they argue endlessly that theists can’t prove God exists without confessing that they can’t prove he doesn’t either."

and although i am a believer (although not of your particular brand of religion) i would say one could more likely say it could be mental illness to believe there is someone in the air who gives a rat's putout about what you do
Scientism is the religion of most secular humanist atheists. God just gets replaced with "evolution" and the clergy gets replaced with "scientists". It's essentially therefore a progressive religion which can change to mean whatever those in charge (e.x. state-funded scientists) want (just as "science" was once used to say that black people weren't intelligent enough to pursue education) - this is the entire agenda of progressive "evangelical" atheism just as it was with Marxism, it's just being used as an avenue to push their progressive Utilitarian philosophy on the unsuspecting and replace traditional religion with the state.

Again what sane person would go on and on about something they don't believe in?

Of course it is a religion to most atheist...with silly boo boo it is an obsession ...

This was already answered. You posed a question and JoeB131 answered it in post 6 and 7. Now man up and respond.

he doesn't like the answer. *shrug*

he doesn't like the answer. *shrug*
Well he has never countered that answer. Just read the entire thread and his questions were answered on the first page. I'm quite sure JoeB131 would even expand and elaborate on his answers if the OP wasn't coward enough to actually respond to them.

I think atheism is also unAmerican as well; the Constitution was founded on the principle of people possessing inalienable rights endowed by their creator.

Atheists seem to believe that rights are nonexistent except at the whim of the state, much like Stalinists.

13315790_1345700965447020_4254806552486008397_n.jpg

I think atheism is also unAmerican as well; the Constitution was founded on the principle of people possessing inalienable rights endowed by their creator.
I thought it was in order to form a more perfect union, etc, etc. Where's the bit about inalienable rights and a creator? Is it in the part that allocates three fifths?

Forum List

Back