Is Atheism a Religion or a severe mental disorder?

Wyatt earp

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2012
Part of me says it is a religion, but part of me says it is a severe mental disorder along the lines of liberalism and the AGW cult.

How could any sane person go on and on talking and preaching about something that they consider don't exists?

I don't post constantly post about invisible flying pink elephants, why?

Because it rarely crosses my mind....

What sane person would constantly think about something that they think don't exsist?

I don't constantly think about people's belief in goblins, ghost, big foot, UFOs or all the rest, frankly I don't give a crap about them nor do I try to say they don't exsist because myself a truth seeker, a man of science I can not prove they don't exsist with out a doubt.

An interesting piece on Atheism is a religion...

"Religion certainly includes an idea of a God under whom man is inherently subservient, but religion also governs the belief system undergirding the way people think about, and live, their lives.

It tells them who their authority is and it informs their values and behavior. It gives them their sense of morality and goodwill, and it guides them in the way they treat themselves and others. Religion does nothing less than construct one’s view of the world.

Atheists are, in fact, some of the most religious people.

First, they have a functioning God under whom they are subservient (normally it’s science or rationality, but mainly themselves), and that idea of God informs the way they live and interpret their lives. It informs their biases and determines their values, and governs any sense of morality or ethics they adhere too, or ignore.

Once that’s all settled all that’s left is the preaching.

And they preach all the time.

This new breed of atheists is obsessed with the idea of God. They write books, deliver speeches, comment-bomb the evangelical blogosphere and generally rant on ad nauseam about the ills of believing in God.

Honestly – comically – some atheists must type the word “God” on the Internet five times more often than most Christians I know and they do it with the fury of a fire-and-brimstone zealot!

Maybe no one invokes the name of “God” more than they, and they are doing so in more and more virulent ways such as the shocking moment when Dr. Dawkins recently told Al-Jazeera television that he believed being raised Catholic was in itself even more psychologically damaging than being abused by a priest!

Instead of just ignoring God, or the idea of God, atheist preachers feel somehow compelled to rid the Earth of him; so they argue endlessly that theists can’t prove God exists without confessing that they can’t prove he doesn’t either."

I don't know what it is but atheists sure spend a lot of time whining about something they supposedly don't believe in. It's as if they keep having to convince themselves

Neither. Look, if people need something to bring them some type of peace.........cool.

I consider myself an agnostic with strong atheistic leanings and I have always been amused by rabid atheists.

I was never offended by someone else's religion because I don't believe in a god and I can't understand people who say they are atheists but obsess about religion all the time.

IMO god is no more or less offensive than Mickey Mouse or Bugs Bunny

Part of me says it is a religion, but part of me says it is a severe mental disorder along the lines of liberalism and the AGW cult.

How could any sane person go on and on talking and preaching about something that they consider don't exists?

Because people who DO believe it exists want to make laws and policy based on their superstitions... obviously.

I'd have no problem with you guys if you kept your backward-ass bronze age superstitions in your churches. It's when you elect truly awful politicians like Bush and Trump and Rauner because you hope they will impose your stupidity on the rest of we have a problem.

Instead of just ignoring God, or the idea of God, atheist preachers feel somehow compelled to rid the Earth of him; so they argue endlessly that theists can’t prove God exists without confessing that they can’t prove he doesn’t either."

It's not incumbent on us to prove a negative.

I consider myself an agnostic with strong atheistic leanings and I have always been amused by rabid atheists.

I was never offended by someone else's religion because I don't believe in a god and I can't understand people who say they are atheists but obsess about religion all the time.

Has anyone ever blown up a building because of Bugs Bunny? Shot a doctor because Bugs Bunny said to? Tried to deny an employee medical coverage because Bugs Bunny said so.

I don't know what it is but atheists sure spend a lot of time whining about something they supposedly don't believe in. It's as if they keep having to convince themselves

No, we spend a lot of time pointing out we live in the 20th century, and we have science to explain things so we don't need assholes telling us it's a magic sky pixie.

The day I became an atheist is when a nasty nun said at my mother's funeral that God had a reason for her to suffer from cancer for a year and a half, bankrupting her family before finally dying.

The bitch was lucky I didn't pound her head into the nearest wall screaming, "Was that part of God's Plan, too, you c**t!"

What sane person would constantly think about something that they think don't exsist?

I don't constantly think about people's belief in goblins, ghost, big foot, UFOs or all the rest, frankly I don't give a crap about them nor do I try to say they don't exsist because myself a truth seeker, a man of science I can not prove they don't exsist with out a doubt.

"Religion certainly includes an idea of a God under whom man is inherently subservient, but religion also governs the belief system undergirding the way people think about, and live, their lives.

It tells them who their authority is and it informs their values and behavior. It gives them their sense of morality and goodwill, and it guides them in the way they treat themselves and others. Religion does nothing less than construct one’s view of the world.

First, they have a functioning God under whom they are subservient (normally it’s science or rationality, but mainly themselves), and that idea of God informs the way they live and interpret their lives. It informs their biases and determines their values, and governs any sense of morality or ethics they adhere too, or ignore.

This new breed of atheists is obsessed with the idea of God. They write books, deliver speeches, comment-bomb the evangelical blogosphere and generally rant on ad nauseam about the ills of believing in God.

Honestly – comically – some atheists must type the word “God” on the Internet five times more often than most Christians I know and they do it with the fury of a fire-and-brimstone zealot!

Maybe no one invokes the name of “God” more than they, and they are doing so in more and more virulent ways such as the shocking moment when Dr. Dawkins recently told Al-Jazeera television that he believed being raised Catholic was in itself even more psychologically damaging than being abused by a priest!

this might help

Atheism is a belief system so I'd call it a quasi-religion. They use quasi-science to support it, demanding evidence from theists but they're perfectly fine with believing in scientific facts that haven't been discovered yet. Their most striking feature is the intellectual dishonesty even going so far as massaging the English language to suit themselves.

A lack of belief means you don't believe in something. But you can't know there is no god so it's a statement of faith. When I discuss it with them they almost all are really agnostic but I believe they prefer the word atheism as some sort of anti-Christian stance, since most theists are Christian in this country.

No, we spend a lot of time pointing out we live in the 20th century, and we have science to explain things so we don't need assholes telling us it's a magic sky pixie.

The day I became an atheist is when a nasty nun said at my mother's funeral that God had a reason for her to suffer from cancer for a year and a half, bankrupting her family before finally dying.

The bitch was lucky I didn't pound her head into the nearest wall screaming, "Was that part of God's Plan, too, you c**t!"

Bleh, you're a bitter old coot living a miserable life.

There have been many gods all throughout history, and certainty they do exist as people did and do still worship them.

Atheism is not a religion:

re·li·gion
rəˈlijən/
noun
  1. the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.
    "ideas about the relationship between science and religion"
    synonyms: faith, belief, worship, creed; More
    • a particular system of faith and worship.
      plural noun: religions
      "the world's great religions"
    • a pursuit or interest to which someone ascribes supreme importance.

re·li·gion
rəˈlijən/
noun
  1. the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.
synonyms: faith, belief,

Fail.

Has anyone ever blown up a building because of Bugs Bunny? Shot a doctor because Bugs Bunny said to? Tried to deny an employee medical coverage because Bugs Bunny said so.

People don't need god as an excuse to be violent. People have been violent far longer than there have been religions

re·li·gion
rəˈlijən/
noun

Fail.
Not believing in something that has no proof to start with isn't a faith or belief, it's more like accepting reality, and the reality is, there is zero proof of a god.

The OP needs to familiarize himself with some of the commentaries of the late Christopher Hitchens (now with God). He was an insightful atheist and spent much of his life pointing out not only the profound illogic of each, respective religion, but also the countless atrocities done in the name of "God" and one religion or another.

Many contemporary atheists are not really worthy of the name; they are simply contrarians or people who are too lazy to go to church, or too intellectually lazy to consider the questions of God and religion seriously. Pretentious ass-holes for the most part.

When addressing atheism as "religion," the main point of discussion is usually the Theory of Evolution. Many atheists claim and believe that Evolution dis-proves the existence of "God" because it explains much of what the Bible fails to coherently explain.

But "faith" is the acceptance of facts and events that cannot be proven, simply because one chooses to believe them. And when atheists are confronted with biological facts that cannot be explained by Evolution theory, they don't question the theory to ask if it still holds, they attack the person who points out the problem. Just like a Mormon who is confronted with a contradiction in Joseph Smith's story, or a Christian who is confronted with an anomaly from the Bible.

So in that sense, atheism can be thought of as a religion. But it's a good one because you don't have to go to church or put any money in a collection basket.

re·li·gion
rəˈlijən/
noun

Fail.
Not believing in something that has no proof to start with isn't a faith or belief, it's more like accepting reality, and the reality is, there is zero proof of a god.
I'm well familiar with the spin, read the posts. Lack of belief is not believing. Not believing in god is atheism, that's English. It isn't a matter of not having enough evidence, the evidence is all around us, no one can make anyone believe something.

We got here somehow, either it was supernatural or natural. That's it. If you have no evidence for a natural creation then you are stepping out in faith to uphold a secular cause.

Forum List

Back