Is Atheism a Religion or a severe mental disorder?

As an atheist I cry out the name "Madelyn Murray O'Hare" during sex...
1907949_739554896065108_6517920177959645684_n.jpg

We reproduce now Jesus sermon on the sound stage

I consider myself an agnostic with strong atheistic leanings and I have always been amused by rabid atheists.

I was never offended by someone else's religion because I don't believe in a god and I can't understand people who say they are atheists but obsess about religion all the time.

IMO god is no more or less offensive than Mickey Mouse or Bugs Bunny
Really? How about Islam?

Part of me says it is a religion, but part of me says it is a severe mental disorder along the lines of liberalism and the AGW cult.

How could any sane person go on and on talking and preaching about something that they consider don't exists?

I don't post constantly post about invisible flying pink elephants, why?

Because it rarely crosses my mind....

What sane person would constantly think about something that they think don't exsist?

I don't constantly think about people's belief in goblins, ghost, big foot, UFOs or all the rest, frankly I don't give a crap about them nor do I try to say they don't exsist because myself a truth seeker, a man of science I can not prove they don't exsist with out a doubt.

An interesting piece on Atheism is a religion...

"Religion certainly includes an idea of a God under whom man is inherently subservient, but religion also governs the belief system undergirding the way people think about, and live, their lives.

It tells them who their authority is and it informs their values and behavior. It gives them their sense of morality and goodwill, and it guides them in the way they treat themselves and others. Religion does nothing less than construct one’s view of the world.

Atheists are, in fact, some of the most religious people.

First, they have a functioning God under whom they are subservient (normally it’s science or rationality, but mainly themselves), and that idea of God informs the way they live and interpret their lives. It informs their biases and determines their values, and governs any sense of morality or ethics they adhere too, or ignore.

Once that’s all settled all that’s left is the preaching.

And they preach all the time.

This new breed of atheists is obsessed with the idea of God. They write books, deliver speeches, comment-bomb the evangelical blogosphere and generally rant on ad nauseam about the ills of believing in God.

Honestly – comically – some atheists must type the word “God” on the Internet five times more often than most Christians I know and they do it with the fury of a fire-and-brimstone zealot!

Maybe no one invokes the name of “God” more than they, and they are doing so in more and more virulent ways such as the shocking moment when Dr. Dawkins recently told Al-Jazeera television that he believed being raised Catholic was in itself even more psychologically damaging than being abused by a priest!

Instead of just ignoring God, or the idea of God, atheist preachers feel somehow compelled to rid the Earth of him; so they argue endlessly that theists can’t prove God exists without confessing that they can’t prove he doesn’t either."

Do you want more or less Muslims in this country? Good so now you see how we feel about you

It's basically the church of Satan; atheism shuns the spiritual world, worships the material world which is the domain of the devil and looks to science and materialism to satisfy people's endless lusts, but satisfaction never comes.

Atheism and progressivism are doing Satan's bidding without even realizing it.

Right.

So, um, how is it that Satan is barely mentioned in the Bible until the New Testament? Why does your image of the Devil have more to do with Milton than the Bible?
Atheists typically believe the material world is all that exists so they worship "science" thinking it will save them, even though the devil is associated with the material world, and God with the spiritual world, not just in the Bible but in various other religious and philosophical texts as well.

I'm not sure you understand what an atheist is. Atheism is nothing more or less than a lack of belief in a God, any God.(Christian. Jewish, Islamist, Sikhism, etc) Some atheists are adamant that God does not and cannot exist, but that is only their personal belief. There is nothing in atheism that says there cannot be a God, just that they have not seen any reason to believe that a God exists. I find it hard to believe that an omnipotent God would not be able present logical, documentable evidence of his existence, but it hasn't happened yet.

Atheism is not believing in 'God'; it is not belief. Believing a view is faith does not make it a religion. Believing atheists are out to get you is paranoia.

I consider myself an agnostic with strong atheistic leanings and I have always been amused by rabid atheists.

I was never offended by someone else's religion because I don't believe in a god and I can't understand people who say they are atheists but obsess about religion all the time.

You would be right if it weren't for government enacting harmful policies based entirely on some people's religious beliefs. Religion taking over government is a major cause of terrorism.
What policies are those?

A few of big ones right now are abortion, one religion being endorsed above others on public property, and gay marriage. If it weren't for religion, we both know there wouldn't be a problem with any of those.

Part of me says it is a religion, but part of me says it is a severe mental disorder along the lines of liberalism and the AGW cult.

How could any sane person go on and on talking and preaching about something that they consider don't exists?

What sane person would constantly think about something that they think don't exsist?

I don't constantly think about people's belief in goblins, ghost, big foot, UFOs or all the rest, frankly I don't give a crap about them nor do I try to say they don't exsist because myself a truth seeker, a man of science I can not prove they don't exsist with out a doubt.

"Religion certainly includes an idea of a God under whom man is inherently subservient, but religion also governs the belief system undergirding the way people think about, and live, their lives.

It tells them who their authority is and it informs their values and behavior. It gives them their sense of morality and goodwill, and it guides them in the way they treat themselves and others. Religion does nothing less than construct one’s view of the world.

First, they have a functioning God under whom they are subservient (normally it’s science or rationality, but mainly themselves), and that idea of God informs the way they live and interpret their lives. It informs their biases and determines their values, and governs any sense of morality or ethics they adhere too, or ignore.

This new breed of atheists is obsessed with the idea of God. They write books, deliver speeches, comment-bomb the evangelical blogosphere and generally rant on ad nauseam about the ills of believing in God.

Honestly – comically – some atheists must type the word “God” on the Internet five times more often than most Christians I know and they do it with the fury of a fire-and-brimstone zealot!

Maybe no one invokes the name of “God” more than they, and they are doing so in more and more virulent ways such as the shocking moment when Dr. Dawkins recently told Al-Jazeera television that he believed being raised Catholic was in itself even more psychologically damaging than being abused by a priest!

Instead of just ignoring God, or the idea of God, atheist preachers feel somehow compelled to rid the Earth of him; so they argue endlessly that theists can’t prove God exists without confessing that they can’t prove he doesn’t either."

The thread premise fails as a false dilemma fallacy, in addition to being ignorant, ridiculous, and wrong.

Really? How about Islam?

Islam is a religion not a deity

the arrogance and self-righteousness of theocrats is amusing.

atheism is not a religion.

and although i am a believer (although not of your particular brand of religion) i would say one could more likely say it could be mental illness to believe there is someone in the air who gives a rat's putout about what you do
Scientism is the religion of most secular humanist atheists. God just gets replaced with "evolution" and the clergy gets replaced with "scientists". It's essentially therefore a progressive religion which can change to mean whatever those in charge (e.x. state-funded scientists) want (just as "science" was once used to say that black people weren't intelligent enough to pursue education) - this is the entire agenda of progressive "evangelical" atheism just as it was with Marxism, it's just being used as an avenue to push their progressive Utilitarian philosophy on the unsuspecting and replace traditional religion with the state.

that is absurd. your fantasies do not constitute reality.

again, secularism, as you call it, is not a religion. it is lack of religion.

language skills are important.

What is the difference between a religion and a severe mental disorder? ;)

It's basically the church of Satan; atheism shuns the spiritual world, worships the material world which is the domain of the devil and looks to science and materialism to satisfy people's endless lusts, but satisfaction never comes.

Atheism and progressivism are doing Satan's bidding without even realizing it.

Right.

So, um, how is it that Satan is barely mentioned in the Bible until the New Testament? Why does your image of the Devil have more to do with Milton than the Bible?
Atheists typically believe the material world is all that exists so they worship "science" thinking it will save them, even though the devil is associated with the material world, and God with the spiritual world, not just in the Bible but in various other religious and philosophical texts as well.

I'm not sure you understand what an atheist is. Atheism is nothing more or less than a lack of belief in a God, any God.(Christian. Jewish, Islamist, Sikhism, etc) Some atheists are adamant that God does not and cannot exist, but that is only their personal belief. There is nothing in atheism that says there cannot be a God, just that they have not seen any reason to believe that a God exists. I find it hard to believe that an omnipotent God would not be able present logical, documentable evidence of his existence, but it hasn't happened yet.
And to think god is hiding as sort of a test to see if we are good. Yet on the other hand he came down and personally gave us 10 commandments. Then went back into hiding and part of believing is believing without evidence. It's just the stupidest fucking thing I've ever heard. I don't know how anyone hears the explanation and says AGREE.

A result of our naturally evolved neurology, made hypersensitive to purpose (an ‘unseen actor’) because of the large social groups humans have and the way the brain associates pattern with intent.

Humans have evolved a variety of cognitive shortcuts to deal with the mass of information provided by our senses. In particular, we tend to filter sensory input according to a set of expectations built on prior beliefs and past experiences, impart meaning to ambiguous input even when there is no real meaning behind it and infer causal relationships where none exist.

Personal revelation cannot be independently verified. So-called ‘revelations’ never include information a recipient could not have known beforehand, such as the time and location of a rare event or answers to any number of unsolved problems in science. They are usually emotional or perceptual in content and therefore unremarkable among the many cognitive processes brains exhibit, including dreams and hallucinations. These experiences may even be artificially induced by narcotics or magnetic fields. Extreme cases may be diagnosed as a form of schizophrenia or psychosis.

Spiritual and religious experiences are not only inconsistent among individuals but are variably attributed to different gods, aliens, spirits, rituals, hallucinations, meditation etc. The fact that medical conditions and other natural processes can induce these experiences is evidence they are produced by our brain.

Why do anti war protesters or anti abortion protesters care so much? How about anti slavery people? They protest against things they disagree with. They are passionate that these things are bad.

Why do anti war protesters or anti abortion protesters care so much? How about anti slavery people? They protest against things they disagree with. They are passionate that these things are bad.

I don't really care if religious people want to believe in silly superstitions. As long as they don't try to force their ridiculous views upon me! :thup:

A result of our naturally evolved neurology, made hypersensitive to purpose (an ‘unseen actor’) because of the large social groups humans have and the way the brain associates pattern with intent.

Humans have evolved a variety of cognitive shortcuts to deal with the mass of information provided by our senses. In particular, we tend to filter sensory input according to a set of expectations built on prior beliefs and past experiences, impart meaning to ambiguous input even when there is no real meaning behind it and infer causal relationships where none exist.

Personal revelation cannot be independently verified. So-called ‘revelations’ never include information a recipient could not have known beforehand, such as the time and location of a rare event or answers to any number of unsolved problems in science. They are usually emotional or perceptual in content and therefore unremarkable among the many cognitive processes brains exhibit, including dreams and hallucinations. These experiences may even be artificially induced by narcotics or magnetic fields. Extreme cases may be diagnosed as a form of schizophrenia or psychosis.

Spiritual and religious experiences are not only inconsistent among individuals but are variably attributed to different gods, aliens, spirits, rituals, hallucinations, meditation etc. The fact that medical conditions and other natural processes can induce these experiences is evidence they are produced by our brain.

Well, I was just ribbing a bit.

Your comments make a lot of sense, though I suspect something more is going on. I think it's reasonable to view gods as distributed entities. To the extent that a group of people share a common conception of a god, it can be said that the god exists via the network of believers.

Forum List

Back