Insurgents set aside rivalries on Afghan border

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Two Thumbs, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Two Thumbs

Two Thumbs Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,589
    NYT: Afghan insurgents set aside rivalries - World news - The New York Times - msnbc.com
    By THOM SHANKER
    The New York Times

WASHINGTON — Rival militant organizations on both sides of the Afghanistan-Pakistan border have increasingly been teaming up in deadly raids, in what military and intelligence officials say is the insurgents’ latest attempt to regain the initiative after months of withering attacks from American and allied forces.

New intelligence assessments from the region assert that insurgent factions now are setting aside their historic rivalries to behave like “a syndicate,” joining forces in ways not seen before. After one recent attack on a remote base in eastern Afghanistan, a check of the dead insurgents found evidence that the fighters were from three different factions, military officials said.

In the past, these insurgent groups have been seen as sharing ideology and inspiration, but less often plans for specific missions.

Now the intelligence assessments offer evidence of a worrisome new trend in which extremist commanders and their insurgent organizations are coordinating attacks and even combining their foot soldiers into patchwork patrols sent to carry out specific raids.

The change reveals the resilience and flexibility of the militant groups. But at the same time, officials say, the unusual and expanding alliances suggest that the factions are feeling new military pressure. American and NATO officials say these decisions by insurgent leaders are the result of operations by American, Afghan and allied forces on one side of the border, and by the Pakistani military — and American drone strikes — on the other.

If these people that hold grudges for generations are working together....

It must mean they are near the breaking point. And this strategy plays into our hands. No longer will we have to chase down this small group then that small group. They are forming larger groups that come at us to get killed.

Looking good, this war could soon be over. :salute:

2. Claudette

Claudette Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,652
    Thats not good.

Just what we need. All the dirtbags getting together as one.

Bring on the drones baby.

3. Sunni Man

Sunni Man Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,444
    No nitwit, it means that the groups are getting stronger and bolder.

And the war will only be over when we declare "Victory" like we did in Vietnam and leave. :cool:

4. Blagger

Blagger BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +407
    Whilst I fully support the war on terror and served in it myself, what did Washington and London expect? Of course they would join forces eventually, because with such technologically advanced odds stacked against them, they had no choice but to put their differences aside and work together. It's called survival.

But, as Claudette said, keep hitting them until they're dust. And let's all look forward to the day when we've overcome the bearded cowards and the world's media focuses in on the ringleaders being lead from Globemasters in both the UK and the US, but not in handcuffs. No, they should be bound in heavy, conspicuous shackles.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  5. High_Gravity

High_Gravity Belligerent Drunk Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    This happened in Iraq too when things were really bad back in 2004, the Sunni and Shite insurgents joined forces to fight against the US in the first Fallujah battle. I don't think this means they are near the "breaking point" necessarily but I think it certainly means they feel the pressure from the increase of US troops and drone attacks.

6. Two Thumbs

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,589
    Large groups are easier to kill. The military is built to destroy vast areas.

7. Two Thumbs

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,589
    Nitwit?

come now. Your a better person than to stoop to name calling.

When was the last time muslim tribes banded together? I'd be willing to bet is was the last time they were desperate.

Just like now.

8. High_Gravity

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    These Muslim tribes wouldn't come together like this unless they felt the pressure, otherwise they would have been working together years ago.

9. Two Thumbs

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,589
    I gues we finally killed enough of them that they can finally over look what thier great, great ,great, great grandfathers did to each others camels.

10. High_Gravity

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    The pressure needs to be kept on though, these guys have no problem sacrificing themselves for their cause.