They're doing it again: Media starts picking 2012 GOP candidates

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Talismen, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Talismen

Talismen Lady Templar & Kafir

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    In the last presidential election cycle, we saw some solid conservative candidates get blown out of the water by the media's unspoken but tenacious insistence that THEY pick the GOP candidate for president.

And, like lambs to the political/proverbial 'slaughter'...Most didn't even realize it was happening, and/or, didn't care one whit about it. They followed along, and put their mark on the ballot, like good little children, accepting the media's choice in the race against "the one".

Well...It's beginning again, and is shouldn't surprise anyone.
    These kinds of stories have been few and far between over the past year, but I've seen at least 3 different polls come out over the past few weeks, with differing results. All done by media outlets and NOT reputable polling orgs.

Link: CNN 2012 Poll: Obama and Palin going in different directions?
    (snip)
    Read the rest at the link....

Huckabee?
    Are you serious?

*He favors a total ban on smoking in public, even outdoors.
    *He agrees with Michelle Obama's "food police" notions.
    *He used his faith in an attempt to gain votes in the Iowa caucus (I attended the caucus in my district), and then dropped his faith like a hot 'tater when he made his way to New Hampshire. (Yes, this tactic could be chalked up to simple campaign strategy, but, for a "man of the cloth" who apparently wants to reform our constitutional republic into a quasi-theocracy, this was a man merely "pimping" his faith when necessary). He then used his faith again, telling voters that he didn't understand why Christians weren't voting for him, and that they weren't thinking of their faith first, if they didn't vote for him.

I wouldn't vote for him for dog-catcher, much less president.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  2. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,816
    Once again.. my choice in the GOP won't be the top hyped candidate...

I am not a Huckabee guy and I am less of a Palin supporter than I was when she was VP candidate... my guy from the 2008 campaign is no longer in the picture (Thompson)...

I will have to look at everything between now and then before I decide which candidate is the right one for me and the right one for the country

3. Talismen

Talismen Lady Templar & Kafir

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Fred was my guy too.
    I volunteered at his HQ in Des Moines, before caucus time.

I know others felt he didn't have the so-called "fire in the belly" thing going on, but...I don't measure a candidate by how "flashy" they are. I measure them by their words and deeds.
    Fred was a solid federalist conservative. Still is.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. VaYank5150

VaYank5150 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,055
    Sarah Palin/2012!

5. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,422
    Don't worry boys

Fox News will pick the GOP candidate for you

6. Vanquish

Vanquish Vanquisher of shills

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +358
    All you need to know about Huckabee was that he campaigned with Chuck fricking Norris at his side. Really? Seriously? Wow. Celebrity endorsements for presidential candidates are always dumb...but Norris is a new low. It shows you he's willing to do anything tactic-wise to get a vote. Kind of backs up the anecdote above about using religion.

Thompson seems pretty solid a candidate. He seems to have a common-sense approach...a real one (not the fake one they all say they have)...but I'm wondering if he's just all pithy one-liners at the end of the day. I know he wont run again...but I have to say I kind of like his style.

Mitt has my interest because he's a true business man. I think that's what we really need right now in the White House. Someone with economic chops and confidence behind it. I'm usually a left-leaner...but I'm willing to suck it up on a few issues (I'm pro-life and pro-gun anyway) if we get a true business man in charge.

7. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,816
    Yawn... more baseless idiocy from you... try actually adding something pertinent

8. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,816

Could be... but a long way off til we know...

I personally hope for some other 'top' candidates

9. VaYank5150

VaYank5150 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,055
    So far, the only GOP person I can stomach is John Thune. Not sure if he has aspirations for a run in 2012 or not.

10. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,422
    Now, who is being naive??

Do you honestly believe that the Murdoch empire will not be heavilly involved in selecting the GOP candidate? Fox can make or break you as a candidate. Having the Fox News pundits singing your praises 24/7 while they attack your opponents will decide who gets the nod