If billions of planets have sentient life, then why is the sky so silent?

There is no intelligent life elsewhere in the universe. The chances that some other planet would have all the required conditions for life are so remote as to be non-existent.

People don't understand just how statistically improbably other life is out there.

It probably depresses them too much to think otherwise.

That is, life in our form.
You could not possibly know that probability. And "our form" must be defined.

Actually, you'd only need the ability to receive and transmit from both locations.
Which would require sending someone or something to the other location at less than the speed of light.

You're just not going to get around this.

While entanglement would be extremely useful for communicating with a ship or probe that was in the Andromeda Galaxy, you first have to send the ship or probe there at less than the speed light. At 50% the speed of light, that's 4 million years.
Something you don't seem to be taking into consideration.

The universe is over 13 billion years old.

Mankind has only had radio for less than 200 years.

Say a civilization had radios for a million years. What if that civilization died out a million years ago. We only missed them by a million years.

It's not just distance, it's timing.

Actually, you'd only need the ability to receive and transmit from both locations.
Which would require sending someone or something to the other location at less than the speed of light.

While entanglement would be extremely useful for communicating with a ship or probe that was in the Andromeda Galaxy, you first have to send the ship or probe there at less than the speed light. At 50% the speed of light, that's 4 million years.
Something you don't seem to be taking into consideration.

The universe is over 13 billion years old.

Mankind has only had radio for less than 200 years.

Say a civilization had radios for a million years. What if that civilization died out a million years ago. We only missed them by a million years.

It's not just distance, it's timing.
Oh yes, I know. I have no idea what that has to do with my comment to which you responded, but i am in agreement.

We should have heard their radio transmissions by now.
The speed of light is 186,000 miles a second.

Figure out how far you travel in a light year.

Then figure out how close is the closest stars.

Then you begin to figure out what real rural living is all about.

And apparently the fastest a human vehicle has ever traveled is estimated at about 165,000 miles per hour. That was only accomplished because of Jupiter's gravity. There is another probe planned to be launched toward the sun which is expected to reach somewhere around 430,000 miles per hour at its fastest sometime in the next 6 years. That's less than 120 miles per second, or 0.0642% of the speed of light.
NASA Is About to Launch the Fastest Spacecraft in History. Target: The Sun!

Put another way, if a ship were able to reach the 150,000 mph of the Helios probe, it would take something like 19,000 years to get to the nearest star, Proxima Centauri. This has some estimates of the time it would take to get to that nearest star using current technology and technically possible but not yet realized technology: How Long Would it Take to Travel to the Nearest Star?

There is no intelligent life elsewhere in the universe. The chances that some other planet would have all the required conditions for life are so remote as to be non-existent.
That's what I think.

Because if the chance of sentient life was even 1 chance in 1 trillion, there would still be numerous advanced civilizations in the universe, and if there were, they would have explored Earth by now.

What makes you believe that they have not explored Earth?

That's what I think.

Because if the chance of sentient life was even 1 chance in 1 trillion, there would still be numerous advanced civilizations in the universe, and if there were, they would have explored Earth by now.

Well, an utter lack of evidence gives us reason not to accept such a proposal...

Which would require sending someone or something to the other location at less than the speed of light in order to be our "sounding board".

Oh, certainly, it's only useful for places that already have the ability to send/receive messages using quantum entanglement. If you got lucky enough to send a message to another location and other intelligent beings there could receive and transmit, though, you might get around the need to send the technology through conventional means....but the chances against that would be astronomical (pun intended :)).

Well if there is intelligent life out there, smart enough to travel here, then do you think they would want to make contact with us?
How would they know we are here?
They would be smart enough to steer clear.

Either that or have the Dims force them into universal health care.

Don't get me wrong, they are still after them

2D91AC5700000578-3279831-image-a-31_1445283583531.jpg

Someone with a spaceship that can go faster than the speed of light probably won't want to trade for Turnips.

That's what I think.

It is highly unlikely that anything, or anyone, from another planet has explored Earth. Earth really is rather unique. It is large enough to hold an atmosphere yet not too large as to hinder escape velocity. The likelihood that another planet, with intelligent life, during this time frame, with an atmosphere, is actually small enough to allow escape velocity, is slim to none and slim left town.

Well if there is intelligent life out there, smart enough to travel here, then do you think they would want to make contact with us?

Maybe they will possess a cure for your Obama Tourette's Syndrome....

We haven't been around long enough to be discovered.
We don't have the means to discover those who have been around longer than we have.

Apparently, few have anything close to an idea just how big the universe is. The coincidence of crossing paths with off-earth beings would almost require an act of 'God'.

Not really. They could be sharing our sun, but in a separate dimension.

Someone with a spaceship that can go faster than the speed of light probably won't want to trade for Turnips.
But art and music are valuable. That's why a canvas can cost 50 million dollars. Who is to say our art and music isn't the most advanced in the galaxy?

I'm sure there may even be a place for right wing country music.

Americans want healthcare.

It's why Republicans got creamed in the midterms.

Are you saying that outer space aliens use a secret frequency that we do not register on our SETI equipment?

I'm thinking they use an easily accessible freeq like 97.3 FM, and there's way too many stations there so they get drowned out.

Which is why we need to shut down all those stations so we can hear.

Americans want healthcare.

It's why Republicans got creamed in the midterms.

Funny, the GOP ran on repealing and replacing Obamacare.

Then after they changed their minds, they lost the House.

Funny that.

Forum List

Back