If billions of planets have sentient life, then why is the sky so silent?

There is no intelligent life elsewhere in the universe. The chances that some other planet would have all the required conditions for life are so remote as to be non-existent.
With the massive expanse of the cosmos and the billions (trillions?) of galaxies, the law of averages would eventually catch up.
Actually, that's not necessarily true. An expanding universe -- particularly one in which the expansion is speeding up, as it is on our universe -- may actually make it less likely, over time, that two sentient species ever discover each other. Eventually we won't be able to observe any galaxies but our own.
By the time they advance enough to leave their solar system, they're solar system is travelling too fast, relative, to visit any other galaxy.

What's the frequency they use?

What's the frequency Kenneth?

danisratherdumb.jpg

Alien Anthropologist have been studying our TV transmissions.
They have determined that there is no intelligent life on Earth after watching SNL, Steve Colbert, Seth Meyers, CNN, MSNBC.....

Aliens-watching-TV.jpg

if a pair of particles is entangled, how do you plan to separate them by great distance?
`
It doesn't work that way. All I know is that quantum mechanics does not reconcile with general relativity and therein lays the problem. I'm good at grasping the complexities of ideas, very bad at the math. In theory, entanglement should mean if you change the rotation of an electron from clock-wise to counter clock-wise, the change will happen instantaneously to both even if they are separated by 100,000 light years....in theory. Maybe we tap into a 4th dimension, I don't know. Travel through time-space can be weird. This puts me out of my league here.

`

In theory, entanglement should mean if you change the rotation of an electron from clock-wise to counter clock-wise, the change will happen instantaneously to both even if they are separated by 100,000 light years....in theory
Correct. However, you either have to take an entangled pair of particles (the two electrons) and then separate them by the distance over which you wish to communicate , or you must figure out that two particles already separated by distance are, in fact, entangled. You could only confirm this by communication by other means to verify it. Either way, you have to travel or communicate normally over that distance at least once.

So, to use this method to communicate with someone in the Andromeda Galaxy, you either have to send one of the electrons there (at Max speed less than the speed of light) or receive (or send) a signal at Max speed the speed of light from (or to) Andromeda confirming that you have an entangled pair. Either way, you are waiting at least 2 million years, before you can start to use your entangled communication device to instantaneously communicate with someone in the Andromeda Galaxy, given that it is 2 million light years away.

Unless we learn how to fold space...

Last edited:
Apparently, few have anything close to an idea just how big the universe is. The coincidence of crossing paths with off-earth beings would almost require an act of 'God'.

if a pair of particles is entangled, how do you plan to separate them by great distance?
`
It doesn't work that way. All I know is that quantum mechanics does not reconcile with general relativity and therein lays the problem. I'm good at grasping the complexities of ideas, very bad at the math. In theory, entanglement should mean if you change the rotation of an electron from clock-wise to counter clock-wise, the change will happen instantaneously to both even if they are separated by 100,000 light years....in theory. Maybe we tap into a 4th dimension, I don't know. Travel through time-space can be weird. This puts me out of my league here.

`
Pardon me for being slow on this subject but how can two electrons be entangle but separated by light years?

Apparently, few have anything close to an idea just how big the universe is. The coincidence of crossing paths with off-earth beings would almost require an act of 'God'.
I dont believe the human mind can cope with understanding just how large the universe is. It doesnt have a precedence. I heard the other day there may be more universes other than our own.

If the universe is finite then there will be unique things in it. Earth may be unique with life. Maybe microbial life is common and advanced life is unique. Maybe advance life is common but intelligence life is unique.

Correct. However, you either have to take an entangled pair of particles (the two electrons) and then separate them by the distance over which you wish to communicate , or you must figure out that two particles already separated by distance are, in fact, entangled. You could only confirm this by communication by other means to verify it. Either way, you have to travel or communicate normally over that distance at least once.

So, to use this method to communicate with someone in the Andromeda Galaxy, you either have to send one of the electrons there (at Max speed less than the speed of light) or receive (or send) a signal at Max speed the speed of light from (or to) Andromeda confirming that you have an entangled pair. Either way, you are waiting at least 2 million years, before you can start to use your entangled communication device to instantaneously communicate with someone in the Andromeda Galaxy, given that it is 2 million light years away. Unless we learn how to fold space...
`
Quantum mechanics is still a great unknown to scientists. In regards to entanglement, the theory is not specific of the origin of the two, lets say electrons other than two of them can be entangled in such a away that regardless of distance, the way something affects one instantaneously affects the other. Higher levels of dimensions are at work here for which we have no understanding.

The closest we can get to visualizing a 4th dimension is the tesseract ......
8-cell-simple.gif

but even that is only a shadow of a representation where everything is at right angles to each other. We are not hard wired for anything higher than our own 3D. Still, the idea of travel along those lines is fascinating. (Melange) Space isn't the only medium we can use to travel, Time itself is another venue.
`

Last edited:
two of them can be entangled in such a away that regardless of distance, the way something affects one instantaneously affects the other.
Right...but, how would you know that you successfully acheived this state? You would still have to communicate between the endpoints at least once by conventional means at or slower than the speed of light in order to confirm the successful entanglement. See what I mean?

Last edited:
We should have heard their radio transmissions by now.
The speed of light is 186,000 miles a second.

Figure out how far you travel in a light year.

Then figure out how close is the closest stars.

Then you begin to figure out what real rural living is all about.

two of them can be entangled in such a away that regardless of distance, the way something affects one instantaneously affects the other.
Right...but, how would you know that you successfully acheived this state? You would still have to communicate between the endpoints at least once by conventional means at or slower than the speed of light in order to confirm the successful entanglement. See what I mean?

Actually, you'd only need the ability to receive and transmit from both locations. So if there were a way to determine where an electron is in the universe which is entangled with one you are manipulating, and that other electron is in a place where there is someone else who can use quantum entanglement communications, then when you send a message (instantaneously), they can reply in kind.

Of course, the odds of having two entangled electrons in locations where people who can receive and transmit such communication are seem pretty slim.

:dunno:

Actually, you'd only need the ability to receive and transmit from both locations.
Which would require sending someone or something to the other location at less than the speed of light in order to be our "sounding board".

You're just not going to get around this.

While entanglement would be extremely useful for communicating with a ship or probe that was in the Andromeda Galaxy, you first have to send the ship or probe there at less than the speed light. At 50% the speed of light, that's 4 million years.

Last edited:
There is no intelligent life elsewhere in the universe. The chances that some other planet would have all the required conditions for life are so remote as to be non-existent.

People don't understand just how statistically improbably other life is out there.

It probably depresses them too much to think otherwise.

That is, life in our form.

Forum List

Back