I Need Some Computer Savvy Person To Assist Me!

^have CC Cleaner. :)

I reset Firefox, and the video ads on the side of the screen are gone, and so are the underlined words.

Fingers crossed. If they come back, I will just reset again.

Dad won't switch the modem off for me, but he will have to to if I need him to.

Its weird, I reset Firefox, and came back to this site, and the font is larger for some reason. I can read it better!

Ctrl + (plus key) to make the fonts bigger, Ctrl - (minus key) to make them smaller, Ctrl-0 (zero) to reset zoom level.

Aha, that is good to know. I like them at the size they are, I can read it better!
I will make the font longer for my Facebook page, though. Its a little too small.

I think that is all I need to do, reset Firefox. I admit when I clicked the button I thought the computer was going to blow up on me. It didn't, but it still needs replacing, its old...

I reset Firefox, and the video ads on the side of the screen are gone, and so are the underlined words.

Its weird, I reset Firefox, and came back to this site, and the font is larger for some reason. I can read it better!

There is a little modem icon in the task bar. If you right click on it, a command called "disable" might come up. Unless you are computer savvy, you might not figure out how to turn it back on.

You might have to open network connections, right click on your connection and hit "enable".

There is a little modem icon in the task bar. If you right click on it, a command called "disable" might come up. Unless you are computer savvy, you might not figure out how to turn it back on.

You might have to open network connections, right click on your connection and hit "enable".

Yeah, I am not game enough to work that out. We have four computers and one modem, and only dad knows how to shut it off. I'm not going to try to, if I mess it up, he'll kill me lol.

I think my problems are fixed. I have that scan thing going, I have cleared the links it told me to, which was about 30 of them, and it warns me if I enter a site that might be dangerous.

So far, so good. If I get online tomorrow and the same problems persist, I will go back to the drawing board. For now, all is well.:)

Hey, [MENTION=38085]Noomi[/MENTION]

Try something called Ghostery. It has not let me down at all. I freaking love it. And since you have Firefox, that's even better.

https://www.ghostery.com/

Also if you want to reset your internet connection without having to mess with your modem:

1) First go into the Command Prompt. To get there, start by typing "cmd" in the search bar, and pressing Enter. Click on "Command Prompt" in the results pane.

2) Now once you are there, type the following command into the console: "ipconfig/release" (without quotes) and press Enter. It will show you the disconnected state of your IPv4 and IPv6 connections, plus other related information on any other internet adapters you have connected to your machine. Essentially what this does is disconnect you from the internet.

3) Wait 60 seconds (or for as long as needed)

4) Then type "ipconfig/renew" (without quotes), and press Enter. This will essentially reestablish your connection. It will show you the connected state of your IPv4 and IPv6 connections, plus other related information on any other internet adapters connected to your machine.

If you follow this process correctly, you can (most of the time) correct any connection issues you have. If you have malware or spyware on your machine, I may suggest you install Malwarebytes, or something called "AdwCleaner" which is a instant run application that cleans your cache, cookies and registry of any infections. You can also try Spybot Search and Destroy (I've been using it since 2005) it is wise to have multiple redundancies in your protection to ensure your ahem, protection.

Hope that helps.

Can someone help me out here?

My computer seems to be full of spam and I don't know why. On this site, sometimes in posts, there are words that are underlined, and when I hover my mouse over the word, a window drops down and its a link to a site selling stuff.

Sometimes when I click the link to a thread here, another page opens up and it takes me to a spam site.
I have never have spam on this computer before - a few weeks ago I tried to download Microsoft Office 2010 or something, which I needed in order to view a file I had downloaded from my karate website. It seemed to have added other programs, and while I deleted it and the other programs, they still show up.

When I click on the Firefox button, two windows open up, instead of the one, and a window pops up in each one saying that an installation of something has finished, and I can't do anything until I click 'finish' and the window disappears, and only then can I visit this forum, or any other forum.

I know my computer obviously needs a clean out, but I have no idea how to do it - I want to keep all my passwords and bookmarked sites, including the sites I have in my drop down window at the top of the screen. How do I manage to get rid of this spam shit without getting rid of those?

:)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_eYSuPKP3Y]Spam - YouTube[/ame]

The next time you've got some money to spend, invest in Norton Internet Protection Suite for Windows - it costs about $60 USD or more, plus an annual subscription fee (in the $30-60 USD range) but it includes AntiVirus and Spam-Control and a decent software-level Firewall against intrusions, malware, etc., and can be downloaded online via - if that becomes an option for you. Good job on isolating the bogeyman this time, but, of course, in the best of all worlds, you'll have something solid that gets updated every couple of days, from a well-funded company, that can prevent as well as remedy. Just a thought.

I use to use Norton 360 and our computer got taken over and damaged. I scanned the computer for hours using Norton and Malwarebytes found the malware in minutes so I complained to Symantec and they offered me a more expensive version for free which they claimed was better so I told them I didn't want it because they didn't have their best interests for me from the start and I swore that I would try better software first before ever coming back to them.

I think that Norton was first built on an anti-virus perspective and you really need a company that is built on both anti-virus and an anti-malware perspective. You need to have anti-virus definitions automatically downloaded from the cloud because if you are waiting for the update from Norton, you are essentially unprotected from the newest threats.

Hello,

Sorry for the trouble. I am Vineeth and I am from the Norton Support team.

Do you remember the name of the virus which Norton failed to catch, so I can check whether we have definitions available for it? In our latest versions, we use both signature and behavioral based detections, which make sure that we block the virus even before we have a definition available for it.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

Vineeth
Norton Support

The next time you've got some money to spend, invest in Norton Internet Protection Suite for Windows - it costs about $60 USD or more, plus an annual subscription fee (in the $30-60 USD range) but it includes AntiVirus and Spam-Control and a decent software-level Firewall against intrusions, malware, etc., and can be downloaded online via - if that becomes an option for you. Good job on isolating the bogeyman this time, but, of course, in the best of all worlds, you'll have something solid that gets updated every couple of days, from a well-funded company, that can prevent as well as remedy. Just a thought.

I use to use Norton 360 and our computer got taken over and damaged. I scanned the computer for hours using Norton and Malwarebytes found the malware in minutes so I complained to Symantec and they offered me a more expensive version for free which they claimed was better so I told them I didn't want it because they didn't have their best interests for me from the start and I swore that I would try better software first before ever coming back to them.

I think that Norton was first built on an anti-virus perspective and you really need a company that is built on both anti-virus and an anti-malware perspective. You need to have anti-virus definitions automatically downloaded from the cloud because if you are waiting for the update from Norton, you are essentially unprotected from the newest threats.

Hello,

Do you remember the name of the virus which Norton failed to catch, so I can check whether we have definitions available for it? In our latest versions, we use both signature and behavioral based detections, which make sure that we block the virus even before we have a definition available for it.

Thanks!

Vineeth
Norton Support

I don't even know if you are legitimately from Norton so I'm not talking to you.

Hello,

Thanks!

Vineeth
Norton Support

Sorry, @vineeth. Chuck suffers from paranoia. There is also some doubt that he is human, but I digress.

Thank you for your time.

xoxo,

Boop

Sorry, @vineeth. Chuck suffers from paranoia. There is also some doubt that he is human, but I digress.

Thank you for your time.

xoxo,

Boop

Did you ever see the Citibank commercial where there is a woman talking with a man's body? It is an identity theft commercial.

That is why I have a rule of no solicitations.

It Norton wants to pay me back $200 for Dell Tech Support, around $80 for a new hard drive and $35 for a case and pay me for about 9 hours of work then I'll let them apologize.

Dell locked a copy of Windows on the hard drive and I didn't understand how to unlock it or have the time to figure it out in an emergency and it still took the tech about three hours to help me unlock it on the phone.

Asking two or more years late doesn't mean they care. Back then they wanted their fee for around $100 when I was running their product for virus removal which is basically the same thing I would do for free which is to stick in the Windows recovery CD or Windows disk and to reset the computer to the factory settings so I got free disks from dell and did it myself which also included me rebuilding the computer and I installed the drivers myself.

Chuck

Last edited:

Thank you for your time.

xoxo,

Boop

Did you ever see the Citibank commercial where there is a woman talking with a man's body? It is an identity theft commercial.

That is why I have a rule of no solicitations.

It Norton wants to pay me back $200 for Dell Tech Support, around $80 for a new hard drive and $35 for a case and pay me for about 9 hours of work then I'll let them apologize.

Dell locked a copy of Windows on the hard drive and I didn't understand how to unlock it or have the time to figure it out in an emergency and it still took the tech about three hours to help me unlock it on the phone.

Asking two or more years late doesn't mean they care. Back then they wanted their fee for around $100 when I was running their product for virus removal which is basically the same thing I would do for free which is to stick in the Windows recovery CD or Windows disk and to reset the computer to the factory settings so I got free disks from dell and did it myself which also included me rebuilding the computer and I installed the drivers myself.

Chuck

Do you remember the name of the virus
= no threat.

Go to ccleaner.com and run their free version, both in files and off to the left you see "registry" where many problems lurk. Clean that up. Then go to malwarebytes.com and run their free program. This site will lead you to their advertisers by hyperlinking certain words....or at least that's the impression I get. You should also run your virus protection in "safe" mode...if you're running Windows XP, keep tapping on the F8 button while you're booting up....it will take you into "safe" mode...use your arrow keys to the right of your letter keys to move around and click on "enter" when you're in "safe" mode. Now scan with your virus protection. What is happening is some viruses hide so well in the start-up menu that the normal virus scan scoots right past them. In "safe" mode, they can't hide. Copy and print this out so you can refer to it when you start the boot-up.

Last edited:
= no threat.

It is probably saved on my old hard drive if I saved the scan log which is not in my computer anymore.

If you google "I hate Norton", there are plenty of people complaining.

Changing the subject? Okies. Later.

We have computers with security products at work. They get viruses and sometimes the computer guy fixes them and sometimes they either don't fix them or can't fix them.

To say that I need to know the name of the virus for it to have happened misses the obvious. If people didn't get viruses, there wouldn't be anti-virus companies.

I have a computer problem as well, but I put it in the Hobby section under Computers. It appears no one but guests read that section of the forum.

I have lost my google and yahoo tool bars as well as my start button and time line. I can't get them up without a google tool bar line! Any suggestions?

You lost me at the lost start button. Other than that I'd say right click at top of browser and select your toolbars.

Thank you for answering, Boop. The entire line at the bottom is gone, starting with the Start button on the left to the time on the right.

I did right click at the top of the browser and the box for the google and yahoo tool bars are already checked, but they don't appear on my page.

You lost me at the lost start button. Other than that I'd say right click at top of browser and select your toolbars.

Thank you for answering, Boop. The entire line at the bottom is gone, starting with the Start button on the left to the time on the right.

I did right click at the top of the browser and the box for the google and yahoo tool bars are already checked, but they don't appear on my page.

That's happened to me!!! Dang it, must research.

How to Fix a Disappearing "Start" Menu, "Start" Button and Task Bar | eHow

If the Auto-hide feature is enabled, your task bar will disappear unless you move the mouse to the bottom edge of the screen. On rare occasions, people who have knowingly configured their task bar this way will accidentally move it to the right, left or top of the screen. In this case, moving down to the bottom of the screen won't work. Instead, navigate to the right left or top edges of your screen. If you find the task bar there, drag the task bar back to the bottom. Alternatively, disable the Auto Hide feature. To do so, right-click on the desktop and select "Personalize" from the pop-up menu. Then click the "Taskbar and Start Menu" link from the left pane. The Taskbar and Start Menu Properties dialog appears. Uncheck the box next to "Auto-hide the taskbar" and select "Apply" and "OK."

Forum List

Back