I Need Some Computer Savvy Person To Assist Me!

I have Internet Explorer lol. I will see what happens when I click on that.

Oh fuck. I don't have any other browser except FF.

I did find that instead of google being my default homepage, which it was, it is now something called 'SearchGol', which I isn't anywhere on the computer, but is somehow still installed.

Well your homepage being switched does indicate QuantumWindbag's analysis is on target and something infested your Firefox.

Indeed I just Googled searchgol :

>> Search Gol is a browser hijacker. It modifies the homepage/search engine of the browser and collects information about your browsing habits.

To get rid of Search Gol, first uninstall the related add-ons from your browsers:

Under Firefox: Click on the Firefox button > Tools > Manage Add-ons
<<

There are some cleaners that page recommends for after you've done that. See the rest of the page here.

That should get you started. Careful with those downloads, good luck. Don't fret, if a browser hijacker is all you picked up it's not that big a deal, just annoying. But do those cleanups and scans and checks nonetheless.

Hope this helps

I figured it had something to do with SearchGol. I have the Firefox button, and I clicked 'add ons' but all I can do is add more add ons, not delete them.
Lemme see if I can link to show what it says...

Nope. Umm, in the left hand side it has a list that says:

Get Add Ons
Extensions
Appearance
Plugins
Services

Then in the middle of the screen it shows a list of featured add ons.

hmm- that set of instructions might apply to an older version --- OK I'm looking at version 11.0 and if you look under the "Help" tab there's an option for "Restart with Add-ons disabled".

If you can do that at least see if the problem goes away. Then we'll work on getting rid of the unwanted toolbar.

You might also be able to use add/remove programs to disable the toolbar if it shows up. It might also be good to check to see if anything new pops up in the list that might be suspect. Check the dates and make sure you know that you aren't removing something important.

Can someone help me out here?

My computer seems to be full of spam and I don't know why. On this site, sometimes in posts, there are words that are underlined, and when I hover my mouse over the word, a window drops down and its a link to a site selling stuff.

Sometimes when I click the link to a thread here, another page opens up and it takes me to a spam site.
I have never have spam on this computer before - a few weeks ago I tried to download Microsoft Office 2010 or something, which I needed in order to view a file I had downloaded from my karate website. It seemed to have added other programs, and while I deleted it and the other programs, they still show up.

When I click on the Firefox button, two windows open up, instead of the one, and a window pops up in each one saying that an installation of something has finished, and I can't do anything until I click 'finish' and the window disappears, and only then can I visit this forum, or any other forum.

I know my computer obviously needs a clean out, but I have no idea how to do it - I want to keep all my passwords and bookmarked sites, including the sites I have in my drop down window at the top of the screen. How do I manage to get rid of this spam shit without getting rid of those?

:)
Your computer is most likely infected. To eliminate the various types of malware, you will probably need to scan your computer with a number of programs. Malwarebytes is a good start but it won't catch everything. You can do this yourself if you have technical savvy, otherwise I would suggest you pay someone to do it. You can take the computer to Geek Squad. They are at Best Buy stores. They will scan your computer for all types malware using several programs, apply the latest updates to operating system and perform some routine maintenance. I think they charge around $60.

If the above does not fix your problem then a system restore would be your best bet. Again you can do this yourself or have it done.

Neither of the above should cause you to lose any data, however it's always a good idea to backup any of your important files, because any time you start doing this kind stuff unexpected things can happen.

Let's hope you can get this fixed up without going for outside help but just a word about Geek Squad -- I don't know if they're in Australia but I found them a waste of time. In my case they set a 15-minute appointment, god help you if you're not there on time, then they keep it for a week and tell you absolutely nothing. Then after a week I got the computer back in exactly the same condition it went in. I would definitely recommend a local small-business vendor rather than Geek. If you need that step.

Let's hope you can get this fixed up without going for outside help but just a word about Geek Squad -- I don't know if they're in Australia but I found them a waste of time. In my case they set a 15-minute appointment, god help you if you're not there on time, then they keep it for a week and tell you absolutely nothing. Then after a week I got the computer back in exactly the same condition it went in. I would definitely recommend a local small-business vendor rather than Geek. If you need that step.

I had a nightmare computer and I took it to a local shop and they only took my money.

My computer kept resetting the computer registry. I called Microsoft and they helped a little by helping me compact the registry but I had to pay for their help. I was also talking to a tech on Yahoo chat and he told me to take the computer apart which is different than the problem here. I spent two years diagnosing the problem. This is what happens when you accept free software for things like getting on the internet because the people who give out free programs only if they can infect your computer with spyware and it is in the fine print which isn't understandable by most people.

I did get help from Five Star Support. They were a free service and they only asked for a donation if they helped me fix it.

I ended up pulling the RAM out and also the watch battery from the motherboard which is a little risky because if that thing isn't charged then the computer won't start up. It fixed my computer but getting the RAM back into the computer only hurt my fingers because the boards kept popping out. It was a risky thing because I didn't want to break the slots or the ram boards but they told me to give it some force and I heard metal sliding and scraping against metal until the memory cards sat in the card slot.

This is a free service but they try to get donations to help keep it running.
5 Star Support - Free Computer Help and Technical Support

So, I managed to get into my Control Panel and check all the programs that were installed in the past four weeks, and I uninstalled all of them, including three different versions of Microsoft Office, which took care of the SearchGol program that was hijacking my browser.

It took me ages to remove some of them, I had to be patient, but they are gone.
I got Jess to take a look when she got home, and she installed AVG for me and ran a scan, which has just finished, and everything now looks okay. :)

Thanks for the advice guys, if I have anymore trouble, I will just look through this thread for the answer!
You've been awesome. :)

So, I managed to get into my Control Panel and check all the programs that were installed in the past four weeks, and I uninstalled all of them, including three different versions of Microsoft Office, which took care of the SearchGol program that was hijacking my browser.

I got Jess to take a look when she got home, and she installed AVG for me and ran a scan, which has just finished, and everything now looks okay. :)

Thanks for the advice guys, if I have anymore trouble, I will just look through this thread for the answer!

Noomi, I would recommend you replace AVG with Avast. AVG has become almost as invasive as Norton and both slows your computer down noticeably.
Also you get "Web Rep" with Avast, bars that show how safe a website is or load the add on WOT, both will warn you when you're about to enter a reported attack site.
The only other add ons I use are Ghostery, Adblock and BetterPrivacy. Some recommend NoScript But I found it to be a major pain in the ass and stopped using it.

Can someone help me out here?

My computer seems to be full of spam and I don't know why. On this site, sometimes in posts, there are words that are underlined, and when I hover my mouse over the word, a window drops down and its a link to a site selling stuff.

Sometimes when I click the link to a thread here, another page opens up and it takes me to a spam site.
I have never have spam on this computer before - a few weeks ago I tried to download Microsoft Office 2010 or something, which I needed in order to view a file I had downloaded from my karate website. It seemed to have added other programs, and while I deleted it and the other programs, they still show up.

When I click on the Firefox button, two windows open up, instead of the one, and a window pops up in each one saying that an installation of something has finished, and I can't do anything until I click 'finish' and the window disappears, and only then can I visit this forum, or any other forum.

I know my computer obviously needs a clean out, but I have no idea how to do it - I want to keep all my passwords and bookmarked sites, including the sites I have in my drop down window at the top of the screen. How do I manage to get rid of this spam shit without getting rid of those?

:)
Your computer is most likely infected. To eliminate the various types of malware, you will probably need to scan your computer with a number of programs. Malwarebytes is a good start but it won't catch everything. You can do this yourself if you have technical savvy, otherwise I would suggest you pay someone to do it. You can take the computer to Geek Squad. They are at Best Buy stores. They will scan your computer for all types malware using several programs, apply the latest updates to operating system and perform some routine maintenance. I think they charge around $60.

If the above does not fix your problem then a system restore would be your best bet. Again you can do this yourself or have it done.

Neither of the above should cause you to lose any data, however it's always a good idea to backup any of your important files, because any time you start doing this kind stuff unexpected things can happen.

The Geek Squad at the Best Buy near me charged my daughter $60. They ran a hardware scan, their own program not the one on the computer. They ran 3 scans for viruses, adware, and other malware and delete 2 spyware programs and one virus. They updated the operating system, defrag the drive, deleted temp files. The computer ran fine when she got it back.

I know I could have done everything they did but I just didn't have the time. One bad thing about Geek Squad, is they don't do any hardware repair locally. They send everything to a repair depot in Kentucky. It can takes weeks to get your computer back.

The next time you've got some money to spend, invest in Norton Internet Protection Suite for Windows - it costs about $60 USD or more, plus an annual subscription fee (in the $30-60 USD range) but it includes AntiVirus and Spam-Control and a decent software-level Firewall against intrusions, malware, etc., and can be downloaded online via Endpoint, Cloud, Mobile & Virtual Security Solutions | Symantec - if that becomes an option for you. Good job on isolating the bogeyman this time, but, of course, in the best of all worlds, you'll have something solid that gets updated every couple of days, from a well-funded company, that can prevent as well as remedy. Just a thought.

Noomi, I would recommend you replace AVG with Avast. AVG has become almost as invasive as Norton and both slows your computer down noticeably.
Also you get "Web Rep" with Avast, bars that show how safe a website is or load the add on WOT, both will warn you when you're about to enter a reported attack site.
The only other add ons I use are Ghostery, Adblock and BetterPrivacy. Some recommend NoScript But I found it to be a major pain in the ass and stopped using it.

Will do.

Jess prevented links opening in a different window last night, but it seems to still be happening. I click a link here and a separate window opens. Grr...
Still have those underlined words, too, which are virtual spam ads. Have to take care of those and I should be okay...

Do this.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSr2u1wMoFg]Reset Firefox -- easily fix most problems - YouTube[/ame]

^if I am able to understand them, sure - were they in a previous post? I will have to go back and check.

Go to the top. Click on tools. Then Options/Content/Colors. Under 'Link Colors' uncheck 'Underline Links'. Press ok then close out Firefox and restart. Your link problem will be solved.

The next time you've got some money to spend, invest in Norton Internet Protection Suite for Windows - it costs about $60 USD or more, plus an annual subscription fee (in the $30-60 USD range) but it includes AntiVirus and Spam-Control and a decent software-level Firewall against intrusions, malware, etc., and can be downloaded online via Endpoint, Cloud, Mobile & Virtual Security Solutions | Symantec - if that becomes an option for you. Good job on isolating the bogeyman this time, but, of course, in the best of all worlds, you'll have something solid that gets updated every couple of days, from a well-funded company, that can prevent as well as remedy. Just a thought.

I use to use Norton 360 and our computer got taken over and damaged. I scanned the computer for hours using Norton and Malwarebytes found the malware in minutes so I complained to Symantec and they offered me a more expensive version for free which they claimed was better so I told them I didn't want it because they didn't have their best interests for me from the start and I swore that I would try better software first before ever coming back to them.

I think that Norton was first built on an anti-virus perspective and you really need a company that is built on both anti-virus and an anti-malware perspective. You need to have anti-virus definitions automatically downloaded from the cloud because if you are waiting for the update from Norton, you are essentially unprotected from the newest threats.

I use to use Norton 360 and our computer got taken over and damaged. I scanned the computer for hours using Norton and Malwarebytes found the malware in minutes so I complained to Symantec and they offered me a more expensive version for free which they claimed was better so I told them I didn't want it because they didn't have their best interests for me from the start and I swore that I would try better software first before ever coming back to them.

I think that Norton was first built on an anti-virus perspective and you really need a company that is built on both anti-virus and an anti-malware perspective. You need to have anti-virus definitions automatically downloaded from the cloud because if you are waiting for the update from Norton, you are essentially unprotected from the newest threats.
No security software will detect all malware. If you're infected, I think the best thing to do is to scan your computer with several good programs. I've used malwarebytes, Bit Defender, AVG, and some of the Kaspersky tools.

I've found the best way to avoid getting infected is by not downloading the free stuff. It usually has a lot of stuff you don't want and some it is really harmful. Anytime I download any free software, I check to see what programs I have installed before downloading and after downloading. Then I delete the junk that comes with what I want. If my browser is acting differently, I check, my browser setting, extension, and plugins.

I think this is a pretty good laundry list of tools to disinfect a computer, although I have not used them all.

&#61607; SUPERAntiSpyware Portable Scanner
&#61607; Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool
&#61607; Dr.Web CureIt
&#61607; Microsoft Safety Scanner
&#61607; Trend Micro System Cleaner
&#61607; Trend Micro Fake Antivirus (FakeAV) Removal Tool
&#61607; Trend Micro SysClean Package
&#61607; Norman Malware Cleaner
&#61607; VIPRE Rescue Program
&#61607; AntiVir Removal Tool
&#61607; McAfee Avert Stinger Tool
&#61607; McAfee FakeAlert Stinger Tool
&#61607; Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool
&#61607; F-Secure Easy Clean
&#61607; MicroWorld eScan AntiVirus Toolkit (MWAV)

Other Free Virus/Trojan/Spyware Removal Tools by Anti-virus vendors:
&#61607; BitDefender Virus Removal Tools
&#61607; Kaspersky Virus Removal Tools
&#61607; Panda Virus Removal Tools
&#61607; SOPHOS Resolve Virus disinfection tools
&#61607; Symantec Virus/Trojan Removal Tools
&#61607; Symantec Security Risk/Spyware Removal Tools
&#61607; Norton Rescue Tools: Norton Power Eraser
&#61607; AVG Removal Tools

[MENTION=38085]Noomi[/MENTION] hover over one of the links and look to see where the ad is originating. It will say something like "brought to you by ABC Vending"

Check a few of the links and see if they are all from the same source. I'll check if it's on our end (highly unlikely) but I'll get you going in the right direction.

Problem is once you download Malware/Spyware from a program it doesn't matter if you uninstall that program. They are made to not fully uninstall and stay on your machine. Brute Force Uninstaller is a VERY powerful tool that will get rid of these nefarious files. Don't waste your time disabling add-ons and all that other stuff. You have an infection. We need to locate it and get rid of it

Go to the top. Click on tools. Then Options/Content/Colors. Under 'Link Colors' uncheck 'Underline Links'. Press ok then close out Firefox and restart. Your link problem will be solved.

It isn't a link problem, a toolbar was creating links by tracking her web surfing and using keywords to highlight sponsored search results. All your advice would accomplish is her not seeing the real links.

Problem is once you download Malware/Spyware from a program it doesn't matter if you uninstall that program. They are made to not fully uninstall and stay on your machine. Brute Force Uninstaller is a VERY powerful tool that will get rid of these nefarious files. Don't waste your time disabling add-ons and all that other stuff. You have an infection. We need to locate it and get rid of it
I've run into that several times. As long as the malware program is in the computer, it will make its changes every time you start the computer or other programs. This happens a lot with browser toolbars, defualt browser, browser extensions and plugins, and default search engines.

Forum List

Back