File Taxes today. Unusually enough, I am Pissed

White 6

Diamond Member
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 10, 2019
I filed my taxes today, using TurboTax. Not surprising, since I hav been filing with them for many years, going back to when you bought the edition at a retail store, you wanted based on your filing situation. Since retirement, all kids out of college, I have gone to the TurbTax "Free Edition", and doing fine with it, not expecting to pay or have much refund either. Every year it offers assistance, and I decline and stay on the free version, possibly paying a simple $10 or so filing fee. NOT POSSIBLE THIS YEAR. TURBOTAX FREE IS A Lie. So, I am pissed, and actually getting back several hundred for the first time since the twins got out of college, mostly paying thousands/year since that time. This due to taking a retirement account disbursement, more than needed and grossly overestimating what we wanted to send the IRS when we too the disbursement.

Everything was going smoothly, entering data, turning down paid services, until Mortgage Interests deduction came up. Haven't had a mortgage since I was in mid-50s, but do keep a HELOC open. No problem, I had a 1098 form, as I maintain a Home Equity Line of Credit at an extremely low (miniscule) interest rate, and a balance owed of "zero", just in case I have a need to write a truly large check, for whatever reason, such as ability to simply write a check for a new car, instead of doing dealer finance, as the HELOC is below interest rate of what any dealer advertises these days. So I made the mistake of saying I had the 1098, when Turbo was looking for additional deductions, making me fill out the worksheet. OK, for everything but loan originating interest rate and form number(they wanted), not on the 1098 form. It is probably in one of the filing cabinets, but the amount of dollars on the 1098 not worth worrying about. When asking for the form number, 1098 was not sufficient. The review process said the question had to be answered. I tried deleting all info on the worksheet, to skip the deduction. I tried to go back and skip the deduction, altogether, but could not get to the original page where I admitted I had a 1098. NOGO, until I finally found a misshapen trash can symbol and tried that. OK. Out of it. Peace at last! Eh.., NO.

So, review process running and now trying to me sell upgrades again, only this time no Free Option listed, only the $69.00 addition and an offer for TurboTax MAX. Nope. Don't want it. So I went back, restarting review. Clean review again, ready for filing, but back at the sales authorization screen showing the $69.00 or Max (that I didn't even look at the price). OK. I figured, give up. You're getting some back for the first time since the Bush years, hit the button and get it over with, and agreed to the basic $69.00, thinking that was it. It wasn't. It seems Turbo has an agreement with a third party bank on rebate checks or direct deposits (checks or deposits I have gotten from the IRS since I was 16 years old, or had to send, when owing more, that usually being the case). You can just click OK or you can click "more information, read agreement", then I find out, I am having to pay $40.00 to some third party bank and there is no way forward without going back and agreeing. No way around the page, I am stuck and I am pissed! Hell, in for a penny in for a pound, I click agree and it finishes the filing with the usual ID and pin number IDs. Fine, I am looking for the page that always say "Congratulations, you have filed. Nope. It says, you have finished, and filing is pending. Hmmm. I check email for the usual email from Turbo Tax saying "Congratulations, You have filed and the next step is waiting for IRS to accept, then waiting for IRS to process. Nope. Email simply show emails from TurboTax, saying my TurboTax account has been accessed and updated. There is not even an email from Turbo, saying my filing is pending. I would tell you the percentage of my small tax refund Turbo is getting, but it would be galling and embarrassing.

This is bullshit! I may have filed with TurboTax since the 1990s, but I will not be using TurboTax, next year! If this sounds like the rant of a 69 year old man, that does not understand, fine. But, I can get an 1040 Form or a 1040EZ from the IRS, and it ain't rocket science. The inconvenience and irritation of TuboTax, is a convenience, I do not need, just out of habit.

I filed my taxes today, using TurboTax. Not surprising, since I hav been filing with them for many years, going back to when you bought the edition at a retail store, you wanted based on your filing situation. Since retirement, all kids out of college, I have gone to the TurbTax "Free Edition", and doing fine with it, not expecting to pay or have much refund either. Every year it offers assistance, and I decline and stay on the free version, possibly paying a simple $10 or so filing fee. NOT POSSIBLE THIS YEAR. TURBOTAX FREE IS A Lie. So, I am pissed, and actually getting back several hundred for the first time since the twins got out of college, mostly paying thousands/year since that time. This due to taking a retirement account disbursement, more than needed and grossly overestimating what we wanted to send the IRS when we too the disbursement.

Everything was going smoothly, entering data, turning down paid services, until Mortgage Interests deduction came up. Haven't had a mortgage since I was in mid-50s, but do keep a HELOC open. No problem, I had a 1098 form, as I maintain a Home Equity Line of Credit at an extremely low (miniscule) interest rate, and a balance owed of "zero", just in case I have a need to write a truly large check, for whatever reason, such as ability to simply write a check for a new car, instead of doing dealer finance, as the HELOC is below interest rate of what any dealer advertises these days. So I made the mistake of saying I had the 1098, when Turbo was looking for additional deductions, making me fill out the worksheet. OK, for everything but loan originating interest rate and form number(they wanted), not on the 1098 form. It is probably in one of the filing cabinets, but the amount of dollars on the 1098 not worth worrying about. When asking for the form number, 1098 was not sufficient. The review process said the question had to be answered. I tried deleting all info on the worksheet, to skip the deduction. I tried to go back and skip the deduction, altogether, but could not get to the original page where I admitted I had a 1098. NOGO, until I finally found a misshapen trash can symbol and tried that. OK. Out of it. Peace at last! Eh.., NO.

So, review process running and now trying to me sell upgrades again, only this time no Free Option listed, only the $69.00 addition and an offer for TurboTax MAX. Nope. Don't want it. So I went back, restarting review. Clean review again, ready for filing, but back at the sales authorization screen showing the $69.00 or Max (that I didn't even look at the price). OK. I figured, give up. You're getting some back for the first time since the Bush years, hit the button and get it over with, and agreed to the basic $69.00, thinking that was it. It wasn't. It seems Turbo has an agreement with a third party bank on rebate checks or direct deposits (checks or deposits I have gotten from the IRS since I was 16 years old, or had to send, when owing more, that usually being the case). You can just click OK or you can click "more information, read agreement", then I find out, I am having to pay $40.00 to some third party bank and there is no way forward without going back and agreeing. No way around the page, I am stuck and I am pissed! Hell, in for a penny in for a pound, I click agree and it finishes the filing with the usual ID and pin number IDs. Fine, I am looking for the page that always say "Congratulations, you have filed. Nope. It says, you have finished, and filing is pending. Hmmm. I check email for the usual email from Turbo Tax saying "Congratulations, You have filed and the next step is waiting for IRS to accept, then waiting for IRS to process. Nope. Email simply show emails from TurboTax, saying my TurboTax account has been accessed and updated. There is not even an email from Turbo, saying my filing is pending. I would tell you the percentage of my small tax refund Turbo is getting, but it would be galling and embarrassing.

This is bullshit! I may have filed with TurboTax since the 1990s, but I will not be using TurboTax, next year! If this sounds like the rant of a 69 year old man, that does not understand, fine. But, I can get an 1040 Form or a 1040EZ from the IRS, and it ain't rocket science. The inconvenience and irritation of TuboTax, is a convenience, I do not need, just out of habit.
If you qualify check this out...

And here I thought it was just me!

I too have used TurboTax for many years, and it’s always been a simple process. This time, not so much.

I just did my taxes this afternoon, and I got through the taxes part fast enough. It was AFTER that I had to go through all these screens, trying to not just get me to upgrade the version, but all these third-party partner products they wanted me to buy.

Mixed into that were NECESSARY sign-offs, so when I finally got to the submit button, I wasn’t 100% positive I did it all correctly. I waited for an email confirmation that I’ve always gotten, and…. nothing. I solved it by going onto the TurboTax site, logging on, and checking my status (yea! It went through), but this was never an additional step before.

Next year, I’m looking into HR Block.

A civilized nation has the government provide free tax filing software.

Fortunately, the USA is rolling that out now, but for this season, it's only available in 12 states. See the link in post #4.

Used Tax Act. Was confusinf too. Cost a bunch but I import data every year.

It gets confusing

Understood. Where are my tax returns filed on the back of a postcard? :)
I've used a professional tax service for the last 20+ years (ever since I got my one and only audit).
They found stuff to get me a refund 21 out of 22 years even it was pennies....Winning!! (And the one year I had to pay a very small sum was MY FAULT!).

I remember looking at the Turbo Tax software in the early 00's..and thinking...nope.

And here I thought it was just me!

I too have used TurboTax for many years, and it’s always been a simple process. This time, not so much.

I just did my taxes this afternoon, and I got through the taxes part fast enough. It was AFTER that I had to go through all these screens, trying to not just get me to upgrade the version, but all these third-party partner products they wanted me to buy.

Mixed into that were NECESSARY sign-offs, so when I finally got to the submit button, I wasn’t 100% positive I did it all correctly. I waited for an email confirmation that I’ve always gotten, and…. nothing. I solved it by going onto the TurboTax site, logging on, and checking my status (yea! It went through), but this was never an additional step before.

Next year, I’m looking into HR Block.
Since I have been logged in here, I received text message "Your Federal Tax Return has been accepted. Strangley enough it was not from TurboTax or the Department of Internal revenue. It was simply a text from "60682", whoeverdahfuk, that is. I have not checked email, but will, and If no email from TurboTax, will use your method on the TurboTax site with my login and password. Thanks.

Used Tax Act. Was confusinf too. Cost a bunch but I import data every year.

It gets confusing
Importing data was quick and cool in years past, but none of ours currently import anymore, since we no longer work for corporations us the listed financial firms, so the last few years I have typed in or shot a pic on Iphone and uploaded. This year, I simply typed in.

I feel your pain W6

Anecdotally i've solicited the best accountants i can affort locally to keep me from making little rocks outta big ones

best of luck

~S~
Probably a wise move. Last time I hired locally to do my taxes was back in the 80s.

Oh, I know I can and did most of the time through the 80s and that was before I was a business grad or a corporate purchasing/inventory bean counter. Like I said, it ain't rocket science.
I used a CPA every year, but this will be the 1st year in a long time that I won't need him.

Understood. Where are my tax returns filed on the back of a postcard? :)
I've used a professional tax service for the last 20+ years (ever since I got my one and only audit).
They found stuff to get me a refund 21 out of 22 years even it was pennies....Winning!! (And the one year I had to pay a very small sum was MY FAULT!).

I remember looking at the Turbo Tax software in the early 00's..and thinking...nope.
I had one audit, back in the 80s and came out fine. I don't think they pay much attention to sampling my bracket, as not worth the cost of the exercise and time, on average.

In past, I have liked Turbo, just fine. Even with the BS, this time, it took less than an hour. I just felt used and abused, this time. I do not do repeat business with any business that makes me feel used and abused.

I used a CPA every year, but this will be the 1st year in a long time that I won't need him.
Congrats and good luck. After retirement and financial situations settled down, it really isn't that bad, even if I had to do them myself. Lisa, got through hers better. The not all doors open and not all exits marked thing, just got me frustrated. I hope the IRS rollout of their own free filing goes well. Next year, I will research before filing, instead of just assuming everything will work as before.

I had to write the state a big fat check as usual. For some reason while I am pretty good at always getting the fed right so I get a little back the state is always way off. I pay in extra every December just to be safe but then come April, here we go again. I have a CPA do all the real estate/business stuff and then do our final individual returns ourselves. Mainly it is because I have investments that are notoriously late in getting us their stuff. I think it was around April 3 or 4th we finally got all our dippy K-1's from them. I would have never invested in them had I known that they freaking K-1 you and do it at the 11th hour.

Same happened here! We have no mortgage....but on the beginning questionnaire your choice is own a home or pay rent...

Checking the own home box was causing it to try to force me to pay for turbo tax is what I figured out...

So I started over and just checked the box in the questionnaire saying I was renting.... They never asked other questions about rent so it all worked out, and was still free for federal and state income taxes.... Even with owing a thousand....!

Next time, just check that you rent, if you have no mortgage payment, maybe?

Same happened here! We have no mortgage....but on the beginning questionnaire your choice is own a home or pay rent...

Checking the own home box was causing it to try to force me to pay for turbo tax is what I figured out...

So I started over and just checked the box in the questionnaire saying I was renting.... They never asked other questions about rent so it all worked out, and was still free for federal and state income taxes.... Even with owing a thousand....!

Next time, just check that you rent, if you have no mortgage payment, maybe?
It was under other deductions and listed mortgage interest, which is what 1098 forms are about, but in our case, a ZERO Balance HELOC generated the 1098. I was glad to get out of it finally. It teaches, on "other deductions", make sure the dollars involve are actually worth it.
I remember the days when those were significant numbers, when we actually had a home loan, but even then, you did not get all of it back. So, if numbers on the form are the size of a dinner out at a sit down restaurant, better left laying on the table.

Forum List

Back