I live with a son who is mentally ill. I love my son. But he terrifies me.

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
'I Am Adam Lanza's Mother': A Mom's Perspective On The Mental Illness Conversation In America

Friday’s horrific national tragedy -- the murder of 20 children and six adults at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut -- has ignited a new discussion on violence in America. In kitchens and coffee shops across the country, we tearfully debate the many faces of violence in America: gun culture, media violence, lack of mental health services, overt and covert wars abroad, religion, politics and the way we raise our children. Liza Long, a writer based in Boise, says it’s easy to talk about guns. But it’s time to talk about mental illness.

The way we treat our mentally ill, we may as well still be back in the Dark Ages.

The mentally ill should be removed and placed somewhere where they cannot harm others. This mother wants someone to step in and fix her son. He can't be fixed. He can't be understood or accommodated. He has to be removed and kept somewhere safe.

• Thanks
Reactions: Jos
What a horrible story. I can't even begin to imagine what that's like.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that it's the psychotropic drugs causing all these mental instabilities.

metal illness is an illness and should be treated.

you need to have it available to EVERYONE.

BTW the body is attached to the head and does effect mental health.

You have to have comprensive full medical care for everyone even non citizens.

If this shooting teaches us anything, I hope it to finally opens our eyes to how poorly we treat mental illness.

If you're an adult, there is almost no help out there for you. I know mothers who have given up their rights to their teenagers, in hopes of getting their children help from the state, and I know adults who have reached out for help and been brushed off.

Treat the mentally ill? What's next, universal health care?

The mentally ill should be removed and placed somewhere where they cannot harm others. This mother wants someone to step in and fix her son. He can't be fixed. He can't be understood or accommodated. He has to be removed and kept somewhere safe.

Actually it sounds like there isn't anywhere safe for her to send him. He's a danger to himself, his brothers, and himself. Not to mention the others at school. She had the sense to move him from 'gifted' classes to self-contained behavior disordered classes, though little teaching goes on in those classes, thus she referred to babysitting.

Institutions that existed prior to the 1960's certainly left much to be desired, rather than improving, they were closed. When that meant mentally ill children, particularly violent children, the problem was dumped on the home. At 18 or even earlier, many stopped taking their meds, eventually leaving home and many our now the homeless.

Sending a 13 year old, mentally ill boy to a juvenile detention complex doesn't seem the right choice for most. If though he managed to carry through with his threats in 2 or 3 years, he'll be treated as an 'adult.' That is certainly wrong.

'I Am Adam Lanza's Mother': A Mom's Perspective On The Mental Illness Conversation In America

Friday’s horrific national tragedy -- the murder of 20 children and six adults at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut -- has ignited a new discussion on violence in America. In kitchens and coffee shops across the country, we tearfully debate the many faces of violence in America: gun culture, media violence, lack of mental health services, overt and covert wars abroad, religion, politics and the way we raise our children. Liza Long, a writer based in Boise, says it’s easy to talk about guns. But it’s time to talk about mental illness.

The way we treat our mentally ill, we may as well still be back in the Dark Ages.

A picture of Adam Lanza's mother, Nancy, before he removed her face:

ht_nancy_lanza_kb_121215_wg-1.jpg

he was 20 years old folks.

legally she couldnt do something without his co operation

I love the liberal naive argument of the mental health or lack thereof. First, it's not true, there are mental health clinics both private and public all over the country. Most health insurance covers mental health (shrink visits). Second, if a monster is going to do what this guy did, then mental help health isn't probably not going to prevent it. Remember the batman killer was seeking mental health help. Third, the only way it may be prevent is forced institutionalization prior to a crime being committed. You can be 'committed' anymore unless you commit a crime first. I guarantee the libs would be against forced institutionalization (as would the conservatives).

The ONLY way to stop this is to STOP making these places EASY targets. Mass shooters are ALWAYS cowards they pick the targets so they can kill numerous UNARMED and HELPLESS victims!

She was killed with her own guns.

so were the kids.

she taught him how to shoot and took him to the gun range.

her worship of guns made him a more effective killer

If this shooting teaches us anything, I hope it to finally opens our eyes to how poorly we treat mental illness.

If you're an adult, there is almost no help out there for you. I know mothers who have given up their rights to their teenagers, in hopes of getting their children help from the state, and I know adults who have reached out for help and been brushed off.

Luddie's example was a prime example of a mentally ill child, one that is and has been 'treated.' Both at school and in hospitals. He's on meds. What I'm seeing is that the mother knows that one day soon, he'll do something that requires jail. Why isn't there the institutions that used to remove the 'threats' to society, using sedation when called for?

Oh yes, I studied the horror stories and far too many were certainly true. Just the other day scores of skeletons were found on the property of one such in FL.

However rather than reforming, they were shut down. They would go to 'group homes' or 'half-way houses' and their 'home parents' could distribute meds and all would be well. Didn't work out that way. Responsible parents have no where safe to put these kids. Until they do something to end up in prison, often charged as an adult.

Luddie's example was a prime example of a mentally ill child, one that is and has been 'treated.' Both at school and in hospitals. He's on meds. What I'm seeing is that the mother knows that one day soon, he'll do something that requires jail. Why isn't there the institutions that used to remove the 'threats' to society, using sedation when called for?

Oh yes, I studied the horror stories and far too many were certainly true. Just the other day scores of skeletons were found on the property of one such in FL.

However rather than reforming, they were shut down. They would go to 'group homes' or 'half-way houses' and their 'home parents' could distribute meds and all would be well. Didn't work out that way. Responsible parents have no where safe to put these kids. Until they do something to end up in prison, often charged as an adult.

then she should have NEVER taught him to shoot a nd give him access to her guns

Forum List

Back