UN telecom chief 'surprised' by US-led treaty snub

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by P F Tinmore, Dec 17, 2012.

1. P F Tinmore

P F Tinmore Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,929
    DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — Envoys from nearly 90 nations signed Friday the first new U.N. telecommunications treaty since the Internet age, but the U.S. and other Western nations refused to join after claiming it endorses greater government control over cyberspace.

More than 20 countries joined the U.S. on Friday in refusing to sign the protocols by the U.N.'s International Telecommunications Union, or ITU, claiming it opens the door to greater government controls of the Net and could be used by authoritarian states to justify further crackdowns on cyberspace.

UN telecom chief 'surprised' by US-led treaty snub - Yahoo! News

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

2. FA_Q2

FA_Q2 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,329
    Good. The more the government stays out of the internet the more secure our freedoms are.

3. TNHarley

TNHarley Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,909
    It surprised me too. Like REALLY surprised me.

4. FA_Q2

FA_Q2 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,329
    I know right!

After the DCMA, I thought it was over and the troglodytes had won the digital war. With that and the MPAA/RIAA being supported in there arcane treatment of people's rights I never thought anyone would see the light.
    One of the posters on another board recently pointed out to me that we are essentially the only nation where our rights are effectively overridden by EULA's. When it comes to the internet and digital realms our lawmakers are way behind the curve.

5. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,887
    Goin's on in the telecom world...
    :eusa_eh:
    Merger and acquisitions in telecoms, at a glance
    Apr 15,`13 - The two largest wireless carriers, Verizon Wireless and AT&T, have been trying to bolster their spectrum holdings, while the next largest, Sprint and T-Mobile USA, have been seeking to make alliances to compete better. Here's a look at the merger and acquisition activity in the telecommunications industry over the past year:
    See also:

Dish Network offering to buy Sprint in $25.5B deal
    Apr 15,`13 -- Dish Network Corp. is trying to snag U.S. wireless carrier Sprint Nextel away from a Japanese suitor, the latest sign that satellite dishes are losing their relevance in the age of cellphones that play everything from YouTube videos to live TV.